PDA

View Full Version : Barn Burner BBQ at Lambs Farm in Libertyville, IL 10/16 & 10/17 2009!

Viper
06-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Your friend Claudia here just remind you that we'll be having the Barn Burner competition again this year, 2008 was a great experience for me and I can't wait to see you all, if you need more information please let me know.

Stoke&Smoke
09-21-2009, 04:46 PM
bump!
Who all's going?

musicmanryann
09-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Barring any extrenuating circumstances, Big T'z Q Cru will be there. Looking forward to cooking for the first time in The Land of Lincoln!

Ron_L
09-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Barring any extrenuating circumstances, Big T'z Q Cru will be there. Looking forward to cooking for the first time in The Land of Lincoln!

Oh sure... You buy a toy hauler and now you have to invade our territory! :rolleyes: :biggrin: :cool:

Coz
09-21-2009, 06:56 PM
I am trying to worm my way onto the judges list.Doesnt look like the new trailer will be done in time so maybe I can judge.

Smokin' Joe
09-21-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm strongly considering it, if for no other reason than it will make the winter seem 14 days shorter

Hopefully Pat and the Brew-B-Q gang don't force the booze on me again this year:mrgreen:

musicmanryann
09-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Oh sure... You buy a toy hauler and now you have to invade our territory! :rolleyes: :biggrin: :cool:

Just coming home Ron. My family hails from the Peoria area via East Cape Girardeau...:-)

Brew-B-Q
09-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Hopefully Pat and the Brew-B-Q gang don't force the booze on me again this year:mrgreen:

Hmmm, I don't remember it that way....think it MAY have been the other way around. I can't skip this one since it is 15 minutes from my house, so we'll be there.

billm
09-22-2009, 07:26 AM
I am trying to worm my way onto the judges list.Doesnt look like the new trailer will be done in time so maybe I can judge.
good luck..ive tried to contact Claudia 3-4 times ..she doesnt return calls..no big deal im sure i can find something else to do that day besides drive through construction to judge 8)

Divemaster
09-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Stockcar BBQ has every intention of being there... The only possible problem is I may have an install that weekend and we haven't gotten a clear date yet...

We are sure going to try!

Coz
09-22-2009, 04:28 PM
good luck..ive tried to contact Claudia 3-4 times ..she doesnt return calls..no big deal im sure i can find something else to do that day besides drive through construction to judge 8)
Bill ,I emailed her and she returned my email fairly quickly.I am on the waiting list to judge.If we had our new trailer built I would rather compete but since I just sawed the tubing I dont think I will have it done in time and the old trailer has seen her better days.If I cant judge if any one needs a hand I may be available.

Ford
09-22-2009, 05:18 PM
If I cant judge if any one needs a hand I may be available.
I'm trying to decide between this and Nelsonville. Nelsonville has better money but is farther. Now if I knew I had myself a gold plated award winning helper it might just impact my decision process. Keep me informed.

I'll need a break from vending that weekend for sure. Pre cooking 125 lbs of chuck for this weekend and have half d one and shocked. Also had to cook Ribs for my Thursday vending gig. I get home at 6:30 Thursday and immediately load smokers and head to the vending site to get ready for a 2 day food fest. Im getting tired of throwing logs on the fire. Wait I just have to add pellets to the hopper twice a day. Been running for 26 hours now and will quit at 40 but just using one as I need time to pull and shock in coolers before going in the fridge. Pick up anothe 300 lb or so of ribs and loins on Thursday for the weekend and I also have a cooler of comp meat. I can't wait for a weekend with just a contest and no veding.

billm
09-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Bill ,I emailed her and she returned my email fairly quickly.I am on the waiting list to judge.If we had our new trailer built I would rather compete but since I just sawed the tubing I dont think I will have it done in time and the old trailer has seen her better days.If I cant judge if any one needs a hand I may be available.

reason i started calling was I never got an email response back..same thing last year as well
anyway no big deal at this point
must be my repuation has preceded me once again :-P

Stoke&Smoke
09-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Kinda surprised to hear that Bill, she's answered mine fairly quickly. Maybe just a busy time at Lamb's Farm?

billm
09-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Kinda surprised to hear that Bill, she's answered mine fairly quickly. Maybe just a busy time at Lamb's Farm?

I would like to think so but I doubt it..

Ron_L
09-24-2009, 10:03 AM
must be my repuation has preceded me once again :-P

That's what I was thinking :-D

Greg60525
10-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Medieval Swines is planning on being there. I still need to pay the fees. Last year I believe there were 32 teams. Anyone know about how many this year?

billm
10-02-2009, 07:22 AM
That's what I was thinking :-D

i actually just heard back from them a couple days ago so I will be judging

Coz
10-02-2009, 11:04 AM
I havent heard anything yet . Still would like to judge ,

Scottie
10-02-2009, 11:07 AM
i actually just heard back from them a couple days ago so I will be judging

Bring the long john's Bill. I'll be the idiot in shorts...

billm
10-02-2009, 11:20 AM
I havent heard anything yet . Still would like to judge ,
I would call as originally my wife was jduging as well but she cant make it now ..who knows

billm
10-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Bring the long john's Bill. I'll be the idiot in shorts...

no kidding ..ill be there in parka and long johns

Trainwreck
10-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Good luck to everyone competing. I really wanted to do this one this year but with just having surgery I am down and out for awhile. Coz if you decide to go down and spectate let me know I may tag along.

Smokin' Joe
10-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Got my application out this week...we are in. See everyone next week!

Brew-B-Q
10-07-2009, 12:14 PM
I just sent mine in Monday as I wasn't sure if I could make it due to work, but so far so good. I requested to be as far from Joe as possible.

Anyone know how many teams they have?

musicmanryann
10-07-2009, 12:24 PM
We will be there! Looking forward to finishing out the season with this one!

Coz
10-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I got the email that I am judging.After thats done I amy take a walk around for short visis=ts knowing every one will be busy packing.

Smokin' Joe
10-07-2009, 05:39 PM
I requested to be as far from Joe as possible.

:lol:

I just put another bottle of Gentle Jack in the trailer freezer:razz:

Divemaster
10-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Finally got an install date that doesn't conflict with a comp (had to cancel out of two this year)!!!

Stockcar is going to be there. Now where did I put that brisket I've been aging since April???

Brew-B-Q
10-09-2009, 08:57 AM
I heard from "Viper" and they have 36 teams so far.

mrwicks
10-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Will have to stop by and see what a comp is like ...do you all fly Brethren Flags ?

Brew-B-Q
10-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Some do, but not all.

Divemaster
10-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Will have to stop by and see what a comp is like ...do you all fly Brethren Flags ?
I'll have our Brethren Banner up on the side of the trailer...

What day you thinking of coming by? Friday is far more relaxed (plus there is the peoples choice), but there is more stuff for the kiddies on Saturday.

Smokin' Joe
10-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Looks like its time to break out the thermal underwear:shock:
Anybody gonna have a fire pit? If not, a 55 gal drum and a bale of straw makes a nice substitute:twisted:

Fri (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxdetail/USIL0667?dayNum=5)
Oct 16
http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/28.gif?12122006
Mostly Cloudy

45°
35°
10%

Sat (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxdetail/USIL0667?dayNum=6)
Oct 17
http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/30.gif?12122006
Partly Cloudy
46°
36°
20%

Ron_L
10-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Looks like its time to break out the thermal underwear:shock:
Anybody gonna have a fire pit? If not, a 55 gal drum and a bale of straw makes a nice substitute:twisted:

Of course, that forecast will change 5 or 6 times before then! :rolleyes:

We'll have our fire pit going on Friday night.

Smokin' Joe
10-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Very true Ron, lets hope it changes for the better!

I remember not being able to exit on Rockland Road from I94 south bound last year. Is that still the case??

Ron_L
10-11-2009, 12:41 PM
I haven't been up that way for a while. Maybe someone who drives by there regularly can help. i looked at the Illinois Tollway site (http://www.illinoisvirtualtollway.com/)and it doesn't look like there is an exit there from southbound 294. You can get off at Buckley Road (the previous exit) and head east to 43 and then south to 176 and back west again.

mremus
10-11-2009, 08:57 PM
A question for those who have been here before.

What is the comp site like? Claudia's email tonight says it's in the parking lot. Is it paved or gravel? I am wondering if I will be able to stake my canopies down. If it's paved then I will need to figure something else out.

Ron_L
10-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Last year some teams were set up on asphalt and some were on gravel. I think the smaller sites (20 x 20) were on gravel and the motor homes were on asphalt. I would plan on an alternate method just in case.

mremus
10-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks. Sounds like that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Ramona
10-12-2009, 06:42 AM
Very true Ron, lets hope it changes for the better!

I remember not being able to exit on Rockland Road from I94 south bound last year. Is that still the case??

I might even suggest, if you're pulling something, you might take 94 to Rte 41 at the state line. You'll hit some construction in Gurnee and right after that keep right to Rte 43. Take it south to Rte 176 then turn right, west and it's a couple of miles. literally

It will take you longer but won't be as stressful as those narrow shoulder lanes.

Ron_L
10-12-2009, 08:38 AM
I might even suggest, if you're pulling something, you might take 94 to Rte 41 at the state line. You'll hit some construction in Gurnee and right after that keep right to Rte 43. Take it south to Rte 176 then turn right, west and it's a couple of miles. literally

It will take you longer but won't be as stressful as those narrow shoulder lanes.

Good point! Depending on traffic it may even be faster. Ya never know!

Ulcer Acres
10-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Does anyone know if they are still needing judges or not?

Scottie
10-12-2009, 10:08 AM

I know we were looking for some taste testers for Friday night...

Bones
10-12-2009, 02:06 PM

What is the comp site like? Claudia's email tonight says it's in the parking lot. Is it paved or gravel? I am wondering if I will be able to stake my canopies down. If it's paved then I will need to figure something else out.
@ years ago I was on gravel when you tried to put stakes in I hit something hard. I assume that it was old asphalt. Bring rope and tie your ez-up to your ice chest or trailer.

Ramona
10-13-2009, 04:46 AM

As of Friday, yes. Send Claudia an email or you can call her. The info is on the Lambs Farm website.

Stoke&Smoke
10-13-2009, 07:25 AM

I would if I had one!:rolleyes:

Divemaster
10-13-2009, 08:55 AM

Was talking with a buddy last night and he said that there was construction right near the entrance... May want to add some time on for that....

@ years ago I was on gravel when you tried to put stakes in I hit something hard. I assume that it was old asphalt. Bring rope and tie your ez-up to your ice chest or trailer.
I gave up on stakes... Get yourself 4 5-gallon buckets... I fill each one with water (comes to 40 pounds of weight for each bucket) and then tie down to them... Been doing this for a couple of years and never had a problem....

Bones
10-13-2009, 10:27 AM
I haven't been up that way for a while. Maybe someone who drives by there regularly can help. i looked at the Illinois Tollway site (http://www.illinoisvirtualtollway.com/)and it doesn't look like there is an exit there from southbound 294. You can get off at Buckley Road (the previous exit) and head east to 43 and then south to 176 and back west again.
I just call Lambs Farm and the exit is open at 176.

Ron_L
10-13-2009, 10:38 AM
I just call Lambs Farm and the exit is open at 176.

From Southbound I-294? (e.g., coming from Wisconsin)

Bones
10-13-2009, 11:08 AM
From Southbound I-294? (e.g., coming from Wisconsin)
Yes, I did not ask about the exit coming from the north.

Ron_L
10-13-2009, 11:10 AM
The exit coming from the north is the one from Southbound I-294, isn't it :-D

Brew-B-Q
10-13-2009, 12:49 PM
You cannot exit at 176 driving south on 94. There is definitely an exit if you're going north. Also, you cannot get on 94 going North/West at 176, only South/East.

Divemaster
10-13-2009, 01:04 PM
I sure am glad I'm local... I know where I'm going and you guys confused me!!!

Bones
10-13-2009, 04:53 PM
I love Chicago weather, just stick around and it will change. Maybe a little shower friday night. I hate to check it because next time it will be rain all day.

billm
10-14-2009, 07:29 AM
I love Chicago weather, just stick around and it will change. Maybe a little shower friday night. I hate to check it because next time it will be rain all day.

except in October where its cold,wet and cloudy 99% of the time

Divemaster
10-14-2009, 09:34 AM

I have no idea what you are talking about... Just look outside... It's... Oh, never mind....

Viper
10-14-2009, 11:53 AM

Sorry it took me so long to contact you back, I suck at this :icon_blush:

billm
10-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Sorry it took me so long to contact you back, I suck at this :icon_blush:
Claudia - check the date of my original post..it was made long before we finally talked a couple weeks ago..no worries.

Viper
10-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Of course, that forecast will change 5 or 6 times before then! :rolleyes:

We'll have our fire pit going on Friday night.

Well I guess I'll have to stop there and get warm, can't stand the cold but as long as it's not windy like 07 I think I'll survive :wink:

Viper
10-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Claudia - check the date of my original post..it was made long before we finally talked a couple weeks ago..no worries.

Thank you for being so understanding! :-D

Divemaster
10-14-2009, 03:01 PM
We should be pulling in around 10 Friday morning... Maybe even with the golf cart we won at Fort Atkinson!

Bones
10-14-2009, 04:24 PM
It looks like you are judging now or I would invite to come and help me.

Coz
10-14-2009, 04:25 PM
I was thinking the weather should be great since I am leaving my cooker home.Everytime it left the yard this year it was a crappy weather day.

Smokin' Joe
10-14-2009, 07:57 PM

Sweet thanks for the heads up....It will be nice to avoid the 5 foot wide lanes I remember from last year:eek: A side benefit is that the state of IL will miss out on the $11 they were goona suck outta me for those 60 roundtrip miles:twisted:

Trainwreck
10-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Good luck everyone, wish I could be there with ya.

Divemaster
10-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Good luck everyone, wish I could be there with ya.
Gonna miss you buddy... Good luck on the new job!

billm
10-15-2009, 08:14 AM
It looks like you are judging now or I would invite to come and help me.
thanks Chris...there is a reason I judge this one though..I mean im the guy walking around at Westmont in May with long underwear on and a thermal coat...the one year I did cook this i spent more time sittting next to Scotties kerosene heater that I did cooking :-D

definately backyard cooking for me now until next Summer

Divemaster
10-15-2009, 08:37 AM
This is Accuweather for this weekend... Could be worse... Remember Elk Grove?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, Oct 16
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/18.gif
High: 49 °F RealFeel®: 41 °F
Chilly; occasional morning rain and drizzle followed by a shower in spots in the afternoon
------------------------------------------
Friday Night, Oct 16
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/07.gif
Low: 34 °F RealFeel®: 30 °F
Cold with plenty of clouds
-------------------------------
Saturday, Oct 17
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/02.gif
High: 52 °F RealFeel®: 43 °F
Mostly sunny, breezy and cool

Brew-B-Q
10-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Remember Elk Grove?

That's a point of reference for me anytime the weather looks questionable. Couldn't be much worse than Elk Grove.

Ron_L
10-15-2009, 03:04 PM
I am pretty sure that we had some kind of rain or cold or high winds (or all three) at every competition this year but three! Oh well...

I'm planning extra coffee for Saturday morning!

Stoke&Smoke
10-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Peteg
10-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Any results yet?

Ron_L
10-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Here...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1058872#post1058872

Peteg
10-17-2009, 09:54 PM
ah ha. Somehow I missed that one. Thanks Ron.

Stoke&Smoke
10-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Great job to all who walked! (and everyone else who put up with the weather:roll:)

Jeff, thanks for the hospitality at your site Friday evening, that Greek grappa was wicked stuff!

RonL, hope your mom's ok, we kept her in our prayers last night!

Just want to say thanks to all the brethren for helping us get better. Our first season was 4 comps with 1 call, this year we did 6 comps and had 6 calls, 4 of them top 5 calls!:biggrin: Not setting the world on fire yet, but getting better and more consistent. And a lot of the credit for that goes to the fine folks here!! I know of no better forum for this obsession of ours.

Claudia, you and your whole team did a GREAT job! Thanks to your team for the help with our trailer!

Next year we'll hopefully have the Cargill tarps for the EZ-up, and we'll remember to bring the heater!
Good luck to all heading to the Jack or Talladega!(sp?)

Divemaster
11-04-2009, 07:52 AM
I know that this is not the best place to post this but I'm hopping it gets her attention...

Viper, you need to clean up your PM's... We can't send you any notes for next years comp!