PDA

View Full Version : Should I inject in this situation?

swamprb
06-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Doing a backyard comp at a grocery store Saturday-they provide the meats and prep has to be done onsite day of- OR they have allotted 1 hour time slots Friday during business hours. Meats are Whole Salmon, 4 Spare Ribs and a 5-7# brisket and are to be kept at the Market. I have a 7AM Friday time slot.

I was thinking of injecting the flat (Butcher) and letting it sit in the marinade 24 hours.

My other option is day of and with a High Heat cook doesn't really lend itself a lot of time in the meat.

I've always injected packers after meat inspection and massaged and twisted them to distribute the marinade before hitting the smoker. I won't be able to touch the meats after prepping at the store until Saturday.

What do you think? Is it worth a try? Or should I go natural?

MilitantSquatter
06-18-2009, 10:42 PM
unless this is a decent sized contest and/or payout,award,trophies are spectacular, I'd first think of going natural to save a few $ and time.

Seems like the right kind of contest to just test out a non-injected brisket.

Good Luck !! I'm sure you'll do great no matter which way you decide to go.

CTSmokehouse
06-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Go for it and learn..

If you are accustomed to injecting go for it... if you are trying to learn without injecting it is a good opportunity...

IMO I do what I want and I concentrate more on how it is cooked...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

McClung
06-19-2009, 12:33 AM
I PM'd you

The Pickled Pig
06-19-2009, 10:41 AM
I'd inject it...even if the soak time is reduced I would still inject.

swamprb
06-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Fark! I just got back and didn't inject it. They had us in the meat dept. with a store rep standing by to make sure I was following safe food handling procedures. I had to filet the salmon and pull the pinbones and tear the membranes off babybacks and by the time I trimmed up the brisket my time was nearly up and another cook was waiting his turn.

If I get set up early enough I may try to shoot it up, time will be tight.

McClung
06-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Dang Brian, I could have offered to b$tch for you for a couple of hours this morning. My bad.