PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. BBQ'Loo and Blues, Too!--Waterloo, IA

musicmanryann
06-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Big T'z will be there--just put the forms in the mail! Anyone else?

Rookie'48
06-19-2009, 12:05 AM
I'll be up there to judge W'loo & La Porte. Are you cooking both?

Ron_L
06-19-2009, 07:18 AM
We're officially thinking about it :) I know we can't do both 'Loo and laPorte since my wife already knows that she has to work on that Sunday.

monty3777
06-19-2009, 07:38 AM
We'll see you there - Holy and Oly's BBQ!!!

BBQ_Mayor
06-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Smokehouse 72 will be there. And La Porte City.

Smokin' Joe
06-19-2009, 09:15 AM
We will be doing the double that weekend as well after a couple of weeks off. Looking forward to the challenge.

musicmanryann
06-19-2009, 09:26 AM
I'll be up there to judge W'loo & La Porte. Are you cooking both?

Yeah-we will be there for both. See you then!

musicmanryann
06-19-2009, 10:08 AM
In filling out my forms for these two comps I noticed something that kind of frustrated me. Both of them wanted to charge me $25 for electricity. I would have no problem doing this if I was rolling in with my Class A RV and powering my AC, fridge, lights, 52" Plasma, Satellite etc etc, but we need one 120v outlet to power one light, our radio, and computer--we seriously probably use $2 worth of electricity during the weekend, maybe. I thought about calling the organizers to see if they can work with me, but don't want to sound like that guy, you know, that guy. Instead I thought I would just get on here and rant.

Okay, just wanted to get that off my chest, I'll shut up now.:icon_shy

KC_Bobby
06-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Ryan. get used it it - $25 is pretty much the norm for comps that are not in RV parks or hardwired for electrical in various parking spaces. While you may only use $2 of electricity, an electrician often needs to set electrical up prior to comps and then be on hand to make sure everything is working right.

Oh, we'll be at both. I see both checks have been cashed (I'd like to thank Anne for sending the Q'lossal checks out quickly to cover it)

n-2-que
06-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Team N2Que will be there and should be doing like Wacoma the next week end after that i think it is.

musicmanryann
06-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Ryan. get used it it - $25 is pretty much the norm for comps that are not in RV parks or hardwired for electrical in various parking spaces. While you may only use $2 of electricity, an electrician often needs to set electrical up prior to comps and then be on hand to make sure everything is working right.

Oh, we'll be at both. I see both checks have been cashed (I'd like to thank Anne for sending the Q'lossal checks out quickly to cover it)

You're right and I see your point regarding the electrician setting things up and being on hand. I guess all I was trying to say is that the amount of power we use compared to teams with big rigs and ac is not even close. I have no problem paying for the privilege of the miracle of harnessed electricity, but was thinking that with my setup am getting less "bang for my buck". I will be getting a trailer soon with ac so the point is moot, but I wrote that this morning before drinking my coffee.:wink:

Look forward to seeing you guys there though and sharing a T-Ryesickle. We changed our schedule from Watertown, MN to these, because we heard it was a great weekend.

Oh, that reminds me. For those that have done this before or may have heard, I heard that for the teams that do both there is only 1 meat inspection. Is there also only one team meeting and we get all 8+ boxes at once? That would be awesome.

Buster Dog BBQ
06-19-2009, 10:33 PM
There is meat inspection and cooks meeting at each contest. Different reps too. See the other thread about power and both contest.

KC_Bobby
06-22-2009, 08:17 PM
According to KCBS's site Mike and Theresa Lake are reps at both.

Buster Dog BBQ
06-22-2009, 08:51 PM
According to KCBS's site Mike and Theresa Lake are reps at both.
I just saw that and if I recall was that way last year too now that I think about it. But we still had meat inspections and cook meetings at both.

Scottie
06-22-2009, 09:47 PM
There is no way that Mike would only do one meat inspection. Guaranteed there will be 2 and also 2 cooks meetings. My guess is the cooks meeting at LaPorte will be later too.

I paid for electric and will be a hog in my RV! I mean, if you have AC, you might as well use it, right? I'll have a frozen Clonesicle too.

musicmanryann
06-22-2009, 10:12 PM
There is no way that Mike would only do one meat inspection. Guaranteed there will be 2 and also 2 cooks meetings. My guess is the cooks meeting at LaPorte will be later too.

I paid for electric and will be a hog in my RV! I mean, if you have AC, you might as well use it, right? I'll have a frozen Clonesicle too.

Yeah it did seem too good to be true. My wife (aka box guru) has a function in Des Moines Saturday night. She said that she would drive down to DSM that night and come back up Sunday morning, but I was hoping to save her the drive.

I didn't know that you were coming over for these Scottie. I will look forward to meeting you. Hopefully by then we will have some AC too as I am sure it will be "Iowa hot" by then--much like it is this week.

KC_Bobby
06-22-2009, 10:34 PM
The good thing is, LaPorte has a lot of tree coverage over the park so nearly every space is in the shade.