PDA

View Full Version : Question about scores and place designation

monty3777
06-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Before I write anything else I want to begin by saying that I am a new competitor and ask this question out of complete ignorance - not to make some sort of statement or complaint.

I recently competed in the BBQlossal and by some miracle got 10th in whole hog. However, as I look at the total scores for whole hog the 8-10th places all received the exact same total score - 166.2858. That means we got the same score as the 8th and 9th place teams.

Again - I'm stoked and happy about getting a call - and the prize money was the same, but I wonder how the decision is made to give three teams with the same scores a different "place?"

KC_Bobby
06-11-2009, 09:56 PM
It's possible to get the same overall scores but get different total appearance, taste and tenderness scores.

The first tie breaker is most taste points. If that's the same, then tenderness points, if still the same then the most appearance points (which is actually impossible because if taste and tenderness are the same - the appearance points will be too since you tied) so it's a computer coin flip.

Sometimes the computer coin flip sucks - sometimes it doesn't

And on a side note about the Qlossal, scores are not generally that high. Ryan's crew averaged over a 172 per turn in to win (that would have been a 688 for a comp with 4 turn ins). That's a smokin score - according to the Pickled Pig, last year's average winner received a 656.

Ron_L
06-11-2009, 10:02 PM
You missed one step. If the scores for taste, tenderness and appearance are all tied then they go back and look at the low score that was dropped. If that is still a tie then it is a computer coin flip.