PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys do with trash?

Smokin Mike
06-09-2009, 03:34 PM
I did some trimming for pork, chicken, ribs ect for a party and threw it away in the garbage can in the garage, now it smells like I'm holding a dead man in my garage:shock:, even penatrates inside the cars now. that was 3 days ago, and trash pickup isn't for a couple more.

I was thinking using my foodsaver, throw the scraps in it and seal it up next time, what do you guys do?, I will be doing more trimming soon way before trash pickup day.

I tried lysol, and bought this expensive odor magnet thing.

TIA,

Mike

bbqbull
06-09-2009, 03:37 PM
A shot of house old ammonia when my dumpster gets to reeking in hot weather.
Also keeps the flys and critters out of the trash.
I also keep my dumpster outside the garage.

BBQ Grail
06-09-2009, 03:38 PM
During the summer I keep a bag in the freezer for all my trimmings. It goes out to the trash on trash day. During the winter they just go in the trash can.

Besides my trash can is down wind from my house...

Ashmont
06-09-2009, 03:40 PM
During the summer I keep a bag in the freezer for all my trimmings. It goes out to the trash on trash day. During the winter they just go in the trash can.

Besides my trash can is down wind from my house...

Freezer is your Friend!

Scottie
06-09-2009, 03:45 PM
oh.... You mean to tell me you guys don't dump it at the gas station? :twisted:

I've been known to pull up to a contest with a bag of garbage. It sure beats that dead guy in the garbage can smell... Or worse all those damn maggots...

KC_Bobby
06-09-2009, 03:45 PM

Ditto

My trash day is Friday, so chicken trimmings for comps is great. But for weekend cooks at home - I have a long time til trash day. Plastic bag into an old margarine/ice cream bucket or something similar. And if I forget it a week - no big deal, just get it the next.

Gas station ... hummm

Just Pulin' Pork
06-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Mike get a big zip lock and put the trimmings in there and like everyone else said put it in the freezer.

Slamdunkpro
06-09-2009, 04:09 PM
what do you guys do with trash?

Buy it a drink! :twisted:

QueTPiesBBQ
06-09-2009, 04:10 PM

I've been known to pull up to a contest with a bag of garbage. It sure beats that dead guy in the garbage can smell... Or worse all those damn maggots...

just sneak over and put it in your neighbors dumpster....that way yours still smells normal. And mail him a box of stick ups for the lid of the dumpster.:lol:

Dr_KY
06-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Drop it all in a Ziplock bag after trimming then toss it in the freezer untill trash day.

Brew-B-Q
06-09-2009, 05:11 PM
I'll add to the whole freezer concept. I made the mistake a couple years ago throwing out an OLD turkey buried in my freezer the day after trash pick-up at a time when my garage was getting up to 90+ degrees each day.

Jorge
06-09-2009, 05:14 PM

Al Capone is rolling over in his grave.

Smokin Mike
06-09-2009, 05:14 PM
I used to stick by garbage thing outside, but got in trouble doing that with the homeowner assocation,(somebody has wayyyy to much time on her hands, everyone around me gets letters all the time, about something, me it's trash can on the side, where no one see's it),

anyways thanks, freezing now!

widespread
06-09-2009, 05:28 PM
I do the freezer thing, except for when we have crab feasts. Usually on Sat or Sun, trash pickup is Thurs. Then it's hello gas station!

Learnin Querve
06-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Bag and freeze here too. Chicken parts get frozen in zip bags, then join a larger bag of chicken parts in the basement deep freeze when I make a trip downstairs. When I get a couple of large bags worth, I fire up the turkey fryer and make a pot of chicken stock and freeze for soups and stews when the weather turns cool. If I could manage to accumulate enough beef or pork bones, I'd make stock with them too.

Chris

JayAre
06-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Buy it a drink! :twisted:

Now thats good comedy!!!

Jeff_in_KC
06-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Remember the neighbor I didn't get along with for years? He and I go put my trimmings under the car seat of another neighbor.

Another good place is to take them to work and if there's anyone you don't like in a cubicle, take off one of the corner caps from the cubicle walls and fill it with meat trimmings.

Jeff Hughes
06-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Remember the neighbor I didn't get along with for years? He and I go put my trimmings under the car seat of another neighbor.

Another good place is to take them to work and if there's anyone you don't like in a cubicle, take off one of the corner caps from the cubicle walls and fill it with meat trimmings.

You clearly have too much time on your hands...

Jacked UP BBQ
06-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Go with the chinese restaurant dumpster behind a strip mall, there stuff always stinks anyway!

ThePluckers
06-09-2009, 09:10 PM
My work has a few dumpsters, and in goes the dead guy. I forgot about some in my cans once and went out of town for a week. The cans went with the dead guy that time.

Coz
06-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I just take the trimmings out to the pile out back and feed mother natures critters,one of the great things bout living in the country.Its fun watching the critters when they come around during the daylight hours.

Divemaster
06-10-2009, 11:17 AM
My trash cans are in the alley behind my house and garage and most of us keep them outside so the stink isn't as much of a problem as the critters... I'm going to have to try the amonia thing...

Bag and freeze here too. Chicken parts get frozen in zip bags, then join a larger bag of chicken parts in the basement deep freeze when I make a trip downstairs. When I get a couple of large bags worth, I fire up the turkey fryer and make a pot of chicken stock and freeze for soups and stews when the weather turns cool. If I could manage to accumulate enough beef or pork bones, I'd make stock with them too.

Chris
Same here... I've got to have at least 4 pounds of thigh trimmings that one of these days is going to be made into 'Pot-Pies' for my Mom...

Now that's just mean... I like it, but it's mean....

Jeff_in_KC
06-10-2009, 11:36 AM
You clearly have too much time on your hands...

If only that really was the case... what I wouldn't give for more time! :roll:

Diva
06-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I put them in the dumpster at the church daycare across the street. Worked that out with them eleven years ago. It gets picked up on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays....it's a beautiful thing.

michiana mark
06-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Freezer is your Friend!

You da man!

Scottie
06-10-2009, 12:26 PM
I put them in the dumpster at the church daycare across the street. Worked that out with them eleven years ago. It gets picked up on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays....it's a beautiful thing.

You really do have the perfect neighborhood, don't you?

Personally, I like what Quau does with his.. He dumps it all into his pond and it gets eaten from there... I don't think I would ever swim in his pond though, if those things are eating chunks of meat like that...

BBQchef33
06-10-2009, 12:41 PM
WTF??

Trash pick up around here is Tues, Wed and Friday. Even on a friday for a 4 day wait, i jus tie it up tight in a trash bag and put it in the closed pail.

geezz.. how long you folks have to keep it for?

Scottie
06-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Weekly...

Diva
06-10-2009, 12:48 PM
You really do have the perfect neighborhood, don't you?

Yes, yes, I do.

One week. Every Tuesday! Limited to 2 bags. They switched that from Mondays LAST SEPTEMBER and I STILL have to "remember" trash day. :roll:

AND, if we use a can and set it by the curb, it can't weigh over 30 pounds (or something like that) or they won't even touch it. I was home one morning when they came by (quite a few years ago) and they were leaving the can. I had my nightshirt on and I went on the porch and said "Hey! Why aren't you dumping my container?" "We don't dump containers, they're too heavy." I marched out there in my bare feet and nightshirt and proceeded to roll the container over to the back of the truck...they started laughing. I got ready to hoist it up and dump it in and they "miraculously" were able to THEN dump the container. That's the day I quit using cans.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
06-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Monday pick up for me. I learned to freeze the trimmings in the summer. Otherwise I have to drag a trash can that smelly through my house. Not pretty.

BBQchef33
06-10-2009, 12:51 PM
dayem.. dig a hole in the yard and bury it!!

Divemaster
06-10-2009, 01:04 PM
WTF??

Trash pick up around here is Tues, Wed and Friday. Even on a friday for a 4 day wait, i jus tie it up tight in a trash bag and put it in the closed pail.

One pickup... Tuesdays...

timzcardz
06-10-2009, 01:09 PM
I just toss mine under my teenaged son's bed, and no one really notices anything different.

Ashmont
06-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Whomever has pizzed me off this week it goes in there outdoor cans at 1am! Or the old standby the lady that keeps calling the police fire or county code people on me because she is nutzo.... Actually work out a deal with the local Stop n Rob dumpster. Used him as sponsor in the past and he gets BBQ numerous times throughout the year. Works for us! I did once have a barrel burn on a dark night no moon at 2am. A bunch of neighbors commented the next day that they smelled bacon but could not figure out where it was coming from. Hmm a mile away....

musicmanryann
06-10-2009, 01:16 PM
I just toss mine under my teenaged son's bed, and no one really notices anything different.

That's some funny chit right there! LMAO!:lol::lol::lol:

Wayne
06-10-2009, 01:42 PM
I throw it in a field next door and let the buzzard hawks have it. I live in the country so disposal of this stuff is easy. The local dogs will eat it or we can burn it in our big trash burner. As a last resort we double bag it and put it out for the trash man. He picks up stuff on Tuesday so weekend trimmin's usually do not have time to get rank. When I lived in the city I would sometimes freeze the stuff and that also worked great, as long as you remember to put it out on trash day. I prefer the dogs or the buzzards. Waste-not, want-not.