PDA

View Full Version : Contest Results hannibal - muddy river

Solidkick
06-07-2009, 10:39 AM
:redface: Something totally went wrong in the chicken process this weekend....:redface: I'm gonna have to go back and re-think what happened.....sorry we brought shame to the Belly Brothers name with a DAL in chicken....we were top 10 in the other 3 catagories

I got to meet a lot of Brethren brothers this weekend and put faces with names....that was nice. All of you are top notch Brethren and I'm proud to call you my brothers.
About 70% CBJs, and in my opinion the score sheets show it. Total overall high score was 639. I had made the comment to StlGreg that I though 650 would win this one....it was even lower....
Congrats to Great Grills on another fine showing!

The top 10.....

1. Great Grills O' Fire 639.4280
2. Smoke This 632.5714
3. Lion Bout The Que
4. All American BBQ
5. Smokin Guns
6. Uncle Fuds
7. Cynful Smokers (1st contest)
8. Fatbacks Smokin Racks
9. Hammer Boys Tag Team
10. Hog Warts School of BBQ

stlgreg
06-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Overall
1. Great Grills 639.4280
2. Smoke this BBQ 632.5714
3. Lion Bout the Q
4. All American BBQ
5. Smokin Guns
6. Uncle Fuds
7. Cynful Smokers
8. Fatbacks Smokin Racks
9. Hammer BOys Tag Team
10. Hog's Wart School of BBQ

Chicken
1. Cynful Smokers
2. Uncle Fuds
3. Great Grills
4. All American BBQ
5. Smoke This BBQ
6. Partners in Swine
7. Lion Bout the Q
8. Smokin Guns
9. Smokin Daves BBQ
10. Hog's Wart School of BBQ

Ribs
1. Smoke This BBQ
2. Smokin Guns
3. Great Grills
4. Fatbacks Smokin Racks
5. All American BBQ
6. Lion Bout the Que
7. Hammer Boys Tag Team
8. Smokin on the Side
9. Yin Yang BBQ
10. Belly Brothers BBQ

Pork
1. Yin Yang BBQ
2. Lion Bout the Q
3. All American BBQ
4. Smokin Guns
5. Belly Brothers
6. Great Grills
7. Hog's Wart School of BBQ
8. Smoke this BBQ
9. Uncle Fuds
10. Smokin on the Side

Brisket
1. Great Grills
2. Fatbacks Smokin Racks
3. Smoke This BBQ
4. Hammer Boys Tag Team
5. Uncle Fuds
6. Belly Brothers
7. Smokin Daves
8. Lion Bout the q
9. All American BBQ
10. Smokin Guns
12. Hog's Wart School of BBQ

Congrats to everyone!

Gary, it was great conversation meeting you and your family.

I had my best weekend yet. two calls and top 10 overall! I missed a third call by .0002!

I like five of the six racks of ribs I cooked. I think i just picked the wrong slab. I found out from my judge friends that at their two tables there was 3 uncertified judges at each of them. The one I turned in was just perfect (to my judges experience) even after letting them sit. I think i could have made a 4th call with a better slab choice.

Solidkick
06-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Greg created this thread, I merged a post over from the other thread, but due to time stamp, mine took the top spot...I wanted to give Greg credit for creating this thread......sorry brother, I was just trying to keep all the conversation in the same thread.

stlgreg
06-07-2009, 11:18 AM
LOL. no big deal. Looks like we had teh same idea this morning.

I still have some things to figure out but i had a good weekend, I had a lot of improvement. I was going to cook Pacific in three weeks but that might a little soon to figure out some things.

Solidkick
06-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Yes, you had a good weekend! I'm thrilled for you! Good luck at Pacific!
And get your little one a Li'l Smokey and get her grillin'!

Lion Bout The Q
06-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Gary, it was great meeting you and cooking next to your family. We had a great time. It was a nice relaxed cook..
Greg, while you were gone , I was checking out your pork turned in on that damn FEC.It was great and the pic of your turn in your wife showed me was spot on great...great job to everyone... Peter

stlgreg
06-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Gary, it was great meeting you and cooking next to your family. We had a great time. It was a nice relaxed cook..
Greg, while you were gone , I was checking out your pork turned in on that damn FEC.It was great and the pic of your turn in your wife showed me was spot on great...great job to everyone... Peter

thanks,
I will post the boxes later.
I have to find teh camera cord.
the card reader isnt working

Plowboy
06-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Way to go, Mark and Becky. Congrats to everyone who got calls.

Solidkick
06-07-2009, 02:32 PM
but the flavor sure wasn't there....

Muddy River Boy
06-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Congrats to everyone who got called.

We sure didnt have a very good showing. We go the not so coveted DAL in pork. Dont know what the hell happened there??? Our ribs were not fit to eat and didnt get last????? The worst part for me was the fact that I stayed sober for this event and still did LOUSY!!! Should have gotten drunk I guess, then I could have blamed it all on the alcohol. LOL LOL

Clint

stlgreg
06-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Here are my boxes from my weekend and a picture of my daughter chowing on a Lion Bout the Q Rib! She loved it.

My appearance scores
Chicken - 878979
Ribs - 787688
Pork - 888989
Brisket - 788867

Lion Bout The Q
06-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Greg, that girl knows good food when she tastes it! Too bad the judges didn't..LOL
She's a cutie...

Rub
06-08-2009, 08:36 AM
:redface: Something totally went wrong in the chicken process this weekend....:redface: I'm gonna have to go back and re-think what happened.....sorry we brought shame to the Belly Brothers name with a DAL in chicken....we were top 10 in the other 3 catagories

Doh! Sorry bout the chicken, but it looks like you're in great shape with the other categories. Congrats to all who were called :eusa_clap

Divemaster
06-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Greg,

It's to bad she wasn't one of the judges!!!

Congrats to all who got calls!

Ron_L
06-08-2009, 08:51 AM

I know the feeling... Our chicken tanked at Moweaqua this weekend and cost us RGC or GC! (I really didn't think it was that bad :confused:)

Wanna share some chicken tips? :rolleyes:

KC_Bobby
06-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Congrats to all calls and to Great Grills on the GC.

Greg, I love the layout of your pork box - not sure if it's the pic or not but it looks a bit saucy. I think if you would have put the sliced pork in back and the chunks up front and had a little less sauce, you would have received a lot of 9's for app.

stlgreg
06-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Greg, that girl knows good food when she tastes it! Too bad the judges didn't..LOL
She's a cutie...

Thanks, before someone else says it.....good thing she looks like her mom :)

stlgreg
06-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Congrats to all calls and to Great Grills on the GC.

Greg, I love the layout of your pork box - not sure if it's the pic or not but it looks a bit saucy. I think if you would have put the sliced pork in back and the chunks up front and had a little less sauce, you would have received a lot of 9's for app.

Thanks! There does seem to be a little too much sauce on the there. I wasnt real happy with the pictures. The guy next to us had a red tint and the really messed with the ribs pic.

We missed out on first by 3.2 points and we were 7th! It was a tight pork race. Lion out the Q lost out on first by tiebreaker.

Any other suggestions let me know. I am interested in what you guys think on the chicken and brisket.

stlgreg
06-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Greg,

It's to bad she wasn't one of the judges!!!

Congrats to all who got calls!

if she would have been Lion bout the Q would have taken GC. She sucked every little bit of meat off of that rib she could. :-D

motley que
06-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks, before someone else says it.....good thing she looks like her mom :)

beat me too it. does she bake as good as her mom?

stlgreg
06-08-2009, 12:00 PM
not yet but we are working at it.
she does make some mean scrabbled eggs

Lion Bout The Q
06-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Greg, I will just forward our schedule to you and get her signed up to judge those events please...

Solidkick
06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Greg, I will just forward our schedule to you and get her signed up to judge those events please...

Me too.....but she's got to learn to LOVE our chicken.....OK, this weekend, that was asking too much.....:redface:

Wornslick
06-08-2009, 05:36 PM
First of all Congrats to everyone that got called. I live here in Hannibal and had to work all weekend so I did not make it down. I am still upset about that. I wanted to come down and meet everyone that posts here. I will be there next year, and have found out that they are talking about setting up a class to get some people certified to judge. I am just a backyard cook but I will sign up for the class. :-D

voodoobbqIL
06-08-2009, 07:34 PM
It was a good contest although some more space would have been nice. It was great to meet some of the other Brethren and thanks for getting me out of there quick so I could go to Moweaqua which turned out well for me. Congrats to all

Solidkick
06-09-2009, 12:13 PM
It was a good contest although some more space would have been nice. It was great to meet some of the other Brethren and thanks for getting me out of there quick so I could go to Moweaqua which turned out well for me. Congrats to all

It was nice meeting you, Kevin.....I know you had a little business to take care of before you headed back home from IL, be sure to let us know you made it safely!

stlgreg
06-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Me too.....but she's got to learn to LOVE our chicken.....OK, this weekend, that was asking too much.....:redface:

My chicken was in the brine twice as long as it should have been
I have to be more careful with that.

Lion Bout The Q
06-09-2009, 09:33 PM
My chicken was in the brine twice as long as it should have been
I have to be more careful with that.

Brine?? who brines their chicken??:roll: