PDA

View Full Version : Contest Results Sedalia Lions MO Blues & BBQ 6/19-6/20

Solidkick
06-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Who's in this year?

moocow
06-01-2009, 09:35 PM
They have already cashed our check! This will be our first time at this contest.

clubjoe
06-01-2009, 10:42 PM
We're in. Sent my entry in 3 weeks ago. See everyone there

Solidkick
06-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Teresa and I will be cooking as Spicewine Ironworks again this year.

Randy, throw a couple extra bags of the Wicked Good briquettes charcoal in the trailer, I'll buy it, I want to try it but no one around here carries it.
Thanks!

clubjoe
06-02-2009, 03:29 PM
you got it.

spicewine
06-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Randy, throw a couple extra bags of the Wicked Good briquettes charcoal in the trailer, I'll buy it, I want to try it but no one around here carries it.
Thanks![/quote]

Never fear Brother Kick. We are in negotiations to become WG Distributors. We are testing a few bags at this contest. For you I will only charge double!!!:wink:

beam boys bbq
06-02-2009, 04:11 PM
the plan is for us to be there

york

Solidkick
06-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks!

Never fear Brother Kick. We are in negotiations to become WG Distributors. We are testing a few bags at this contest. For you I will only charge double!!!:wink:

I figured you was too busy developing your new salad dressing line to bring some charcoal, so I went with the sure thing! :tongue:

Randy...that sounds good! Thanks!

Jeff_in_KC
06-02-2009, 07:48 PM
We're in! Love this contest! Just not the turn-in time people's choice. It was an easy decision to enter Sedalia this year though... just sent $10 for the kids Q and my free entry certificate for winning chicken last year! Gotta love free entries when the Q account is lacking! :lol::wink: What's really nice is you can spread out and set up wherever you want in the campground! Plus there's water and electric hook-ups at each site.

Solidkick
06-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Jeff, we're bringing the grand kids with us (Spice, Fredbird, and Baggs nieces.....so the girls seem to think) and we're planning on a pool like you brought for Taylor a few years back. We're not planningon doing the People's Choice so we can kind of be back out of the way becuase of the pool. Taylor is welcome anytime. Maiah is 9 and Lexie is 4, going on 11. Both the girls passed on kids q as they are uncomfortable about cooking off site.

Jeff_in_KC
06-02-2009, 09:29 PM
So I don't have to dig Taylor's pool out of storage? Cool! Thanks! :biggrin: Did Chris change the Kids Q this year? Because the last three years, Taylor has cooked at our site to turn in. I hadn't heard he changed it. Two categories is a long time for kids (and MY help!!!) to be away from our site! :eek: Anyway, Taylor is coming down early Friday morning with me to "help" set up. :-D She's good to cook wherever I suppose.

Solidkick
06-03-2009, 12:16 PM
So I don't have to dig Taylor's pool out of storage? Cool! Thanks! :biggrin: Did Chris change the Kids Q this year? Because the last three years, Taylor has cooked at our site to turn in. I hadn't heard he changed it. Two categories is a long time for kids (and MY help!!!) to be away from our site! :eek: Anyway, Taylor is coming down early Friday morning with me to "help" set up. :-D She's good to cook wherever I suppose.

Guess I should call Chris.....maybe I'm confusing this with Hermann.

Jeff_in_KC
06-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Guess I should call Chris.....maybe I'm confusing this with Hermann.

Gary, I'm fairly certain Taylor cooked at our site. Maybe Chris changed it this year?

beam boys bbq
06-07-2009, 07:07 PM
have to drop this one sara is working that weekend and my brother batchler party sat night

see ya soon

york

Exe-que-tioner
06-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Sent out the entry 2 weeks ago. We should be there around noon or so on Friday. Looking forward to seeing everyone. They have a great band scheduled for Friday night. The "Nace Brothers" who play locally here in Warrensburg, are scheduled to play from 7:30 - 9:00, and I believe, according to the website, are the only band to play Friday night.
Don't have to worry about space issues here. Very spread out with lots of room! Plenty of electricity and restroom/shower facilities.
I would like to try the Wicked Good charcoal as well. Randy, if you are reading this, throw in a bag or two for us as well to purchase.
Moocow, can you bring that golf cart you had @ Pleasant hill? That would come in real handy here! :rolleyes:

moocow
06-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Sent out the entry 2 weeks ago. We should be there around noon or so on Friday. Looking forward to seeing everyone. They have a great band scheduled for Friday night. The "Nace Brothers" who play locally here in Warrensburg, are scheduled to play from 7:30 - 9:00, and I believe, according to the website, are the only band to play Friday night.
Don't have to worry about space issues here. Very spread out with lots of room! Plenty of electricity and restroom/shower facilities.
I would like to try the Wicked Good charcoal as well. Randy, if you are reading this, throw in a bag or two for us as well to purchase.
Moocow, can you bring that golf cart you had @ Pleasant hill? That would come in real handy here! :rolleyes:
I will see what I can do, Would you like a/c and chrome rims on it?

Exe-que-tioner
06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
A/C, Chrome, and Flames down the sides! :icon_cool

Solidkick
06-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Where's our SledCast? do I pack the rain gear or not?
Last year sure was fun trying to get all the truck, MHs, and cookers out!

Jeff_in_KC
06-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Better pack the sunblock, Gary! It's gonna be nasty hot!

moocow
06-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Thank god for a camper with a/c! What time is everybody rolling in? Also, I would like to try some wicked charcoal to.

Exe-que-tioner
06-17-2009, 07:10 AM
We are hoping to be rolling in around 1:00 pm. Hopefully things will dry-out before Friday after all this rain we've been having. Like Jeff says...........looks to be a hot one!

Jeff_in_KC
06-17-2009, 08:01 AM
I plan to be there around 9:30 am. But then again, that's ALWAYS my plan and I usually run late...

spicewine
06-17-2009, 08:06 AM
We usually pull in about 9:00 am. See you all there.

Exe-que-tioner
06-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Jeff........Sometime when you're not busy I'd like to come by this weekend and check out your cooker. Seen it from a distance, but not close-up. Interested in how it operates. Also, I may be able to pry some sausage making secrets out of ya.? That sausage you did at your contest in April was awesome in my opinion!

Solidkick
06-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Jeff........Sometime when you're not busy I'd like to come by this weekend and check out your cooker. Seen it from a distance, but not close-up. Interested in how it operates. Also, I may be able to pry some sausage making secrets out of ya.? That sausage you did at your contest in April was awesome in my opinion!
for a beer, I'll let you look at mine too! :twisted:
Probably won't be a shortage of spicewine cookers this weekend....4 that I can think of off the top of my head...now if I have to go into my salesman speech, that might cost ya 2 beers....and at 4 beers I'll tell you everything I do....:redface:

Jorge
06-17-2009, 12:04 PM
and at 4 beers I'll tell you everything I do....:redface:

Even that new chicken recipe?:-P

baggs
06-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Gary, what time are you getting there??!!! :roll::twisted:

Solidkick
06-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Hoping to pull in around 9:30 to 10AM.....that means 11AM.....LOL

Jeff_in_KC
06-17-2009, 10:45 PM

Stop on by...

And that sausage wasn't anything I made if I recall what you're referring to. I've never "made" sausage in my life! Was it a fatty or a smoked sausage? I'm thinkingmaybe it was jalapeno sausage Jorge turned me on to during the Royal. GREAT CHIT!

moocow
06-18-2009, 09:23 AM
I heard it's going to be so HOT that Vern will probably be running around in the sprinkler in his underwear with my 4 year old. That's just what I heard!!!

Solidkick
06-18-2009, 12:01 PM
I heard it's going to be so HOT that Vern will probably be running around in the sprinkler in his underwear with my 4 year old. That's just what I heard!!!

No pictures....never happened....:eek:

I'm a little concerned about the weather, especially since we just had to replace a pop up from 2 weeks ago. Sedalia get's some pretty funky weather situations. i just want to keep my grand babies safe. I may have to send them to a motel for the night, I don't want them blowing away in a tent.

Exe-que-tioner
06-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Mowcow............what time are you guys getting to Sedalia? You can leave that sprinkler at home!

VGuilford
06-18-2009, 02:45 PM
We're looking at getting there around 8:30 am. I don't know where he got the idea. I think he's the one that will be doing the dancing.

moocow
06-18-2009, 03:03 PM
I never said I was not participating, I was merely pointing out that you were!

moocow
06-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Were we suppose to get a contest packet in the mail?

Jeff_in_KC
06-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Were we suppose to get a contest packet in the mail?

Nope... not Sedalia.

Jorge
06-19-2009, 10:54 AM
I hope somebody has the Ben-Gay and ice packs handy for Team Q after they break out the hacky!

Solidkick
06-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Overall
GC R Butts R Smokin 673.7146
RGC In Deep Sauce 673.7142
3. Great Grills O Fire 664.5710
4. The Smoking Hills
5. Spicewine Ironworks (Mr. Kick)
6. Mad Hogs & a Englishman
7. Big Creek BBQ
8. Smoke This BBQ
9. Smokin' O BBQ
10. Team Q

Chicken
1. In Deep Sauce
2. Spicewine Ironworks
3. The Smoking Hills
4. Big Creek BBQ
5. Mad Hogs & a Englishman
6. Moo Cow
7. Smoke This BBQ
8. Team Q
9. Eagle Creek Smokers
10. Great Grills O' Fire

Ribs
1. In Deep Sauce
2. Hogzilla
3. Taste-T Baste-T
4. Team Q
5. Great Grills O' Fire
6. R Butts R Smokin
7. The Smoking Hills
8. Exe-Que-tioner
9. Smoke This BBQ
10. This S Swinal Tap

Pork
1. R Butts R Smokin
2. Exe-Que-tioners
3. Great Grills O" Fire
4. Big Creek BBQ
5. Team Q
6. Spicewine Ironworks
7. Mad Hogs & a Englishman
8. In Deep Sauce
9. Up In Smoke
10. The Smoking Hills

Brisket
1. R Butts R Smokin
2. Great Grills O' Fire
3. Flying Warthogs
4. Smokin O BBQ
5. Up In Smoke
6. The Smoking Hills
7. In Deep Sauce
8. Smoke This BBQ
9. Sedalia Master Basters
10. Moo Cow

smknwhlswife
06-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Congrats to all those who got calls!!! Congrats to Randy and Jeff!!! Way to go!

Smokin' Joe
06-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Looks like more brethren domination...congrats to all!!

Solidkick
06-21-2009, 11:47 AM
First, a great big congrats to the guys of R Butts R Smokin! Awesome job guys! Moo Cow and Vern, nice to get to visit with you Friday night. Exe-Que-tioner, I'm sorry I didn't recognize the Brethen connection, I owe you a handshake and a Howdy! Jeff, I hope you put Teresa's gift to you to good use!

I'm so glad we rebounded in chicken after the dismal showing at Hannibal 2 weeks earlier. I actually liked eveything we turned in. I was surprised in our rib and brisket scores. Ribs--not knowing what all the teams in the top 10 cook for sure, but from the teams that I of know, it was definitely a spares weekend. We were 15th in the scoring. Good babyback ribs folks, I guess not good enough to compete with the spares this weekend. Brisket--disappointed with the scoring, and I guess I'll leave it at that.

Lots of issues with the contest reps that I'm sure KCBS will be getting emails and snail mail about. The Smoking Hills were grand champions....for about 10 minutes....the scoring software was set up to include dessert in the overall points...Great Grills didn't turn in a dessert and got 9th in the catagory...WTF?
R Butts R Smokin has 2 firsts and gets called for 8th overall...Huh?
Bacon's BBQ was called 7th overall but hadn't had a top 10 call in a catagory...WTF?
This isn't adding up!! They get the scoring fixed, checks get re-written, trophies get re-distributed and they get it right. Randy and Jeff's GC will always be a memorable moment, the one that was almost given away.........

Jeff_in_KC
06-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Looks like more brethren domination...congrats to all!!

I noticed this today... seven Brethren teams there out of 26 teams. Five were in overall top ten with the other two at 12th (Moo Cow) and 13th (Exe-Que-Tioners). Coincidence? Doubt it!

Muddy River Boy
06-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Congrats to everyone who walked.

Clint

Que'inKC
06-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments...It was a great weekend (even thought it was hot, stormy and some confusion)...Congrats to all the Brethren Teams!!!

A special thanks to Jeff and Tammy for being such great neighbors!!! You guys made this weekend a lot of fun!!!

ZILLA
06-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Good work folks. Congrats to all that walked.

clubjoe
06-21-2009, 12:33 PM
BTW...Jeff (Bigcreek) have you seen my baseball???:lol:

moocow
06-21-2009, 06:13 PM
It was nice to meet all of you Brethren I had never met before. It is always nice when we all finish close to the top, even if it takes two tries. Thanks for being a good neighbor Exe-que-tioners. See you all on the next one.

VGuilford
06-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Congrats to Randy and Jeff again. Glad see everyone out there. Our 2nd contest this year and we're moving up in scores. Wasn't sure what was going to do when I opened my comp chicken and it had gone south on me. Had to make a 6:30 run to Walmart.

Exe-que-tioner
06-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Great to meet more Brethren teams as well! After all the confusion with the scoring I just happened to be looking over our individual judges scoring detail. Our worst category was brisket. Here is how it shows on the sheet:

JUDGE1 JUDGE2 JUDGE3 JUDGE4 JUDGE5 JUDGE6
766 977 977 877 871 977

I thought that a 1 meant a DQ??? Did not think you could give a 1 for anything without the table captain's approval.? Correct me if I am wrong, but I did not think you can just throw down a 1 and get away with it? What's up here? Misprint?:confused:

Congrats to R Butts R Smokin'! The "Wicked Good" charcoal worked great! Also congrats to all who got a call!

One last word to Moocow...........disappointed on the golf cart. Thought I had a free ride again to turn-in's. :roll: All kidding aside, you guys were equally great neighbors as well! Great job on the chicken bro! :wink:

watertowerbbq
06-21-2009, 09:01 PM
I don't think it's technically possible to get a 1 for tenderness and a score greater than 1 for taste. I'd be calling the rep tomorrow and ask how this happened.

Rub
06-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Congratulations guys, some great calls in there.

KC_Bobby
06-21-2009, 11:13 PM
All 7 brethren teams in the top 13! Wow, that's good cookin.

Exe-que-tioner (sorry, your name escapes me right now) ... I cant think of a reason why you should have that 1. Looked good, tasted good - obviously that judge got a unique individual serving.

Assuming that 1 was suppose to be a 7, that would change your scoring from a 140.5712 to a 144.5712 as judge 1's score would have been thrown out.

Plowboy
06-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Way to go Randy and Jeff.

Jeff_in_KC
06-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Had a good time despite the rep issues! Jeff and Randy, huge congrats! You guys are top notch! And thanks for the help getting my WSM under cover before the Friday night rains came! Vern, thanks for the use of the jumper cables for Tammy's van. Gary and Teresa, thanks for the new toy! Can't wait to use it! Jay, thank you for the sauce! Looking forward to trying it out to.

Plowboy
06-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Had a good time despite the rep issues! Jeff and Randy, huge congrats! You guys are top notch! And thanks for the help getting my WSM under cover before the Friday night rains came! Vern, thanks for the use of the jumper cables for Tammy's van. Gary and Teresa, thanks for the new toy! Can't wait to use it! Jay, thank you for the sauce! Looking forward to trying it out to.

Do the jumper cables help with the "new toy", Jeff?

Solidkick
06-22-2009, 04:34 AM
Great to meet more Brethren teams as well! After all the confusion with the scoring I just happened to be looking over our individual judges scoring detail. Our worst category was brisket. Here is how it shows on the sheet:

JUDGE1 JUDGE2 JUDGE3 JUDGE4 JUDGE5 JUDGE6
766 977 977 877 871 977

I thought that a 1 meant a DQ??? Did not think you could give a 1 for anything without the table captain's approval.? Correct me if I am wrong, but I did not think you can just throw down a 1 and get away with it? What's up here? Misprint?:confused:

Congrats to R Butts R Smokin'! The "Wicked Good" charcoal worked great! Also congrats to all who got a call!

One last word to Moocow...........disappointed on the golf cart. Thought I had a free ride again to turn-in's. :roll: All kidding aside, you guys were equally great neighbors as well! Great job on the chicken bro! :wink:
With all the issues this weekend with the reps, it crossed my mind that it was very possible that some team could have been a victim to a mis-key of the scores. I would challenge the 1. Isn't the rep supposed to come tell you if you get a DQ? I recall that happening at other contests.

Fredbird
06-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Obviously, some things could have gone better. We were disappointed in our brisket score as well. I wonder if there was a table there that just didn't like brisket.

But on the other hand, it was great to get to know some of the Brethren there better!

Congrats to R Butts R Smokin! I guess that 11th place chicken was just good enough! Congrats!

stlgreg
06-22-2009, 08:47 AM
With all the issues this weekend with the reps, it crossed my mind that it was very possible that some team could have been a victim to a mis-key of the scores. I would challenge the 1. Isn't the rep supposed to come tell you if you get a DQ? I recall that happening at other contests.

I agree with you. It was probabaly a 7.

Congrats on the chicken rebound!

VGuilford
06-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Do the jumper cables help with the "new toy", Jeff?
I never asked why the battery was dead.:eek:

stlgreg
06-22-2009, 12:23 PM
yikers, we have the same reps this weekend in Pacific!

Exe-que-tioner
06-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Good luck! Pay atttention to your turn-in boxes when you get them at the cooks meeting. They had our team numbers marked on the bottom side of the box and not the top. We did not notice this till they came aroumd later to scratch out the number and re-write it on top. Told them we already had our boxes made-up. What do they do? They grab the box and turn it almost completely upside down with it with our garnish inside.:eek:

Jeff_in_KC
06-22-2009, 02:08 PM
If they have a dessert category... I'm just sayin'...

stlgreg
06-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Good luck! Pay atttention to your turn-in boxes when you get them at the cooks meeting. They had our team numbers marked on the bottom side of the box and not the top. We did not notice this till they came aroumd later to scratch out the number and re-write it on top. Told them we already had our boxes made-up. What do they do? They grab the box and turn it almost completely upside down with it with our garnish inside.:eek:

Thanks. I will do that.

clubjoe
06-22-2009, 02:34 PM
One more thing, don't try to talk to them much. Not the most friendly couple in the world:confused:

stlgreg
06-22-2009, 02:52 PM
I remember that from Arthur two years ago.

Solidkick
06-22-2009, 07:55 PM
do you remember me asking "numbers on the top or numbers on the bottom?" at the cooks meeting?? I met the folks at their camper when they came back from supper....I said "you numbered the boxes on the bottom....the gentleman said..."GD....we ain't changing it!" I said, "You better make a decision and let everyone know as a lot of teams make up their boxes the night before."

I hope you are reading this Merl.....what a very bad representation of KCBS.....these folks don't need to be repping until they are taken back to school....but all you folks from KCBS will be getting an email from me, plus the contest critic form.

Solidkick
06-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Critic form sent...., haven't sent the email yet.....still wondering if it would do any good.

Exe-que-tioner
06-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Sending ours out today as well. Lots of comments to add to this one. :sad:

moocow
06-24-2009, 01:12 PM
EXE, If you get those extra points I think you Might be ahead of us!! I hope not! Just kidding, its just a bad deal all around.

Exe-que-tioner
06-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Wasn't going to pursue the extra points, but now that you mention the possibility of pulling ahead of you....................:rolleyes:?

Diva
06-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Critic form sent...., haven't sent the email yet.....still wondering if it would do any good.

You won't know unless you try.There was a rep who did a SHODDY job at a contest a few years back. The rep got hammered drunk (back when they could drink) and left REALLY late at night. You could tell they felt like dog doo the next day. There were some issues that day (nothing as bad as what I'm hearing that came out of Sedalia). I took the rep to the side after it was over and let them know I was filing a formal complaint the following Monday. I did. I wasn't the only one. They don't rep anymore.

stlgreg
06-24-2009, 05:36 PM

I think it will.
(i think we have to think it will)

KCBS has gone so far this weekend to give Pacific a free extra rep this weekend. Tom was told they are taking steps to make sure it doesnt happen again.

Solidkick
06-24-2009, 06:10 PM
KCBS has gone so far this weekend to give Pacific a free extra rep this weekend. Tom was told they are taking steps to make sure it doesnt happen again.

It ran smoothly the year before because I think Phil was there to oversee them. He defended them pretty good on the 'other' forum. He also got me to thinking, as my cooking days wind down, I may look into becoming a rep.

Jeff_in_KC
06-24-2009, 07:38 PM
I faxed off my contest critique form to KCBS yesterday morning with mostly high marks for the organizer (except for PC during turn-in time) and the venue but LOW marks for the reps.