PDA

View Full Version : Contest Results Elk Grove Village Rotaryfest

Divemaster
05-27-2009, 05:02 PM
This one is coming up and we are thinking of doing the Fort Atkinson comp and this one back to back, and yet I haven't seen any postings on it.

Is anyone going (if not why)? I know that the entrance fee is high ($300) but it's only 18 miles from my house and we would spend the difference on gas.

So what say all of you?

Scottie
05-27-2009, 05:11 PM
No thanks. There are better Illnois comps to support. I'm going to Snowbird instead.

Brew-B-Q
05-27-2009, 05:15 PM
My entry was only $40 since I won a raffle at the Winter Burnoff, so we'll be there. $300 is a bit steep, though.

Scottie
05-27-2009, 06:32 PM
If you won a free entry, why do you have to pay anything? Free is free isn't it?

U2CANQUE
05-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Man, all of these IL contests.....and gas prices going up and up and up......most likely going to get to the Lamb Farms one though....

Divemaster
05-28-2009, 06:45 AM
My entry was only $40 since I won a raffle at the Winter Burnoff, so we'll be there. $300 is a bit steep, though.

I agree that $300 is steep, but it's only 18 miles from the house. I figure I would normally spend between $100 and $125 in gas to go to a comp so it evens out. On top of that I'm hoping to have a potential local sponsor coming by that weekend.

Brew-B-Q
05-28-2009, 08:10 AM
If you won a free entry, why do you have to pay anything? Free is free isn't it?

I bought $40 worth of raffle tickets and put them all in the Elk Grove entry pot.

Divemaster
05-28-2009, 08:12 AM
I bought $40 worth of raffle tickets and put them all in the Elk Grove entry pot.
So if you hadn't won, the entry fee would have been $340?

Brew-B-Q
05-28-2009, 08:26 AM
So if you hadn't won, the entry fee would have been $340?

So you're the half-empty one in the group, huh? :-P

Divemaster
05-28-2009, 08:27 AM
So you're the half-empty one in the group, huh? :-P
Nope, I just figure that every one else is just using the wrong size glass...:mrgreen:

The Pigman
05-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Jeff is Ty part of your team?????

Divemaster
05-28-2009, 08:36 AM
He is always more than welcome, but I also understand that 17 year olds often have other, how do I say it, distractions...

Ron_L
05-28-2009, 09:06 AM
We'll be there. We won a free entry as part of last year's prize.

jpouchman
05-28-2009, 11:46 PM
I'll be there as well. Looking forward to my second comp with my Fatboy!

Jeff

Stoke&Smoke
05-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Pat,

Didn't your brisket winnings in Westmont cover the 40 bucks and then some? :lol:

We'll be there

Divemaster
06-08-2009, 01:07 PM
I just received the following email from Ron.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My good Freind Captain Ron has informed me that there are rumors floating that #1 we are cancelled, and #2 we dont ahve enough teams to qualify.

Please be advised that we are not cancelled and are gearing up for a great cook. We have $8,000 in Cash, trohpies, ribbons and more. Let your fellow cooks know we are on.

#2 we have now 32 paid teams with 15 applications that the
pit bosses say are on their way. We only need 25 to qualify for the Jack and the Royale, so that rumor is false.

Looking froward to a great cook, thanks for joinig the fun

Ron Nunes
Elk Grove Rotary Club

He also sent a listing of the current teams signed up for the event....

2009 Teams
Elk Grove Rotary Ribfest

1. 2 Skinny Cooks, Woodridge
2. Bartlett Boneheads, Bartlett
3. Brew-B-Q, Round Lake
4. Elk Grove Swiners, Elk Grove
5. Captain Ron’s Brew-n-Crew, Batavia
6. Chubby’s BBQ, Mt. Vernon
7. Church Of Swinetology, South Elgin
8. Dr. Deco and Mr Hyde, Chicago
9. Duce’s Wild, Wood Dale
10. Front Yard BBQ Crew, Orland Park
11. Hawgwash BBQ, Chicago
12. Four Fathers BBQ, Carol Stream
13. Joey Mac’s Smoke Stax, Naperville
14. KRE Smokers, Des Plaines
15. Memphis In Mundelein, RoundLake
16. Mike Rib BBQ, Carol Stream
17. Ma & Pa’s Kettle, Wauconda
18. Papa’s Smokin’ Seven, Streamwood
19. The Pig Daddy, Naperville
20. QUAU, Brimfield
21. Q-N- With Attitude, Downers Grove
22. Rock River BBQ, Shannon
23. Shigs-N-Pits, Ft.Wayne
24. Smoke’n Sourmash, Batavia
25. Smokin Scottsmen, Ada, MI
26. Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear, Deerfield
27. Stock Car BBQ, Morton Grove
28. Team Smoke EZ, Hanover Park.
29. Windy City Smokers, Hanover Park
30. The Rib Rockets
31. Star-B-Que
32. Gilly’s Barnstomrin,’ BBQ Taylorville

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking of asking if the brethren could be put into the same general area... What do yo all think?

Scottie
06-08-2009, 01:32 PM
So who is starting all these rumors that this contest isn't going?

I know a few of those teams on the list are not going, so it might be a bit padded...

Divemaster
06-08-2009, 01:36 PM
All I know is that as long as they are having it, I'm going...

Divemaster
06-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Weather may be an issue Friday morning but the rest of the comp looks good!:

Friday, Jun 19
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/15.gif
High: 85 °F RealFeelŪ: 93 °F
Watch for strong thunderstorms in the morning; cloudy, warm and very humid

Friday Night, Jun 19
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/36.gif
Low: 61 °F RealFeelŪ: 63 °F
Partly cloudy and humid with a shower

Saturday, Jun 20
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/03.gif
High: 76 °F RealFeelŪ: 75 °F
Partly sunny, turning colder and less humid

Saturday Night, Jun 20
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/34.gif
Low: 60 °F RealFeelŪ: 63 °F
Mainly clear

Stoke&Smoke
06-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Pretty far off yet for an accurate weather guess! Hopefully it's as good as that or better!

I think we're gonna pass on peoples choice this year, we don't have dancing girls or a gazillion family members like the winners last year. Anyone want to do some kind of pot luck Friday evening?

jpouchman
06-11-2009, 12:46 AM
I will be there, under the name Dr. Deckle & Mr. Hide. I am looking forward to it!

Bud's BBQ
06-11-2009, 05:36 AM
Pretty far off yet for an accurate weather guess! Hopefully it's as good as that or better!

I think we're gonna pass on peoples choice this year, we don't have dancing girls or a gazillion family members like the winners last year. Anyone want to do some kind of pot luck Friday evening?

Dann, for $5 bucks, why don't we just chow down at the BBQ Mafia buffet table? Theresa and Niclole just wish they would also have some male dancers this year:razz:.

See you all next weekend.

Ron_L
06-11-2009, 06:45 AM
[/color]

Dann, for $5 bucks, why don't we just chow down at the BBQ Mafia buffet table? Theresa and Niclole just wish they would also have some male dancers this year:razz:.

See you all next weekend.

They're not on the team list (so far).

I know where you can get a deal on a slightly used World Pork Expo thong... :rolleyes:

Bud's BBQ
06-11-2009, 07:19 AM

I know where you can get a deal on a slightly used World Pork Expo thong... :rolleyes:

Ugh, used thong.....:icon_sick

Hmmmm, however, may work under the kilt.:twisted:

Divemaster
06-11-2009, 07:38 AM
I figure that I'll do the Peoples Choice, so if your not, just pass the meat over...

Ugh, used thong.....:icon_sick

Hmmmm, however, may work under the kilt.:twisted:
I think I just threw up in my mouth.... a lot!!!

Now where did I put that....

Oh, here it is...
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/Divemaster_album/BrainBleach.jpg

billm
06-11-2009, 07:46 AM
I will be there, under the name Dr. Deckle & Mr. Hide. I am looking forward to it!

was wondering what that Dr Deco was on the list Jeff..thought maybe you got into the interior design business :-P
Good luck to you and Dean !

Brew-B-Q
06-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Anyone want to do some kind of pot luck Friday evening?

I don't know, I just don't feel like cooking when all I do all weekend is cook :confused:

Is there an Aurelio's that delivers to that area? I'd be down for that type of pot luck.

Divemaster
06-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I don't know, I just don't feel like cooking when all I do all weekend is cook :confused:

Is there an Aurelio's that delivers to that area? I'd be down for that type of pot luck.
Actually, it's up to my team... Deal is, I cook the comp, they cook the meals...

Brew-B-Q
06-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Well last time I left it up to my team we had gas station sandwiches for lunch. Did I mention my team members don't do a lot of cooking?

Jorge
06-11-2009, 10:26 AM

It's not used...but it may be by the time it shows up at your place:twisted:

tonto1117
06-11-2009, 10:29 AM
How's about......FAIR FOOD.....I hear thier might be some BBQ venders :rolleyes::lol:

Divemaster
06-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Well last time I left it up to my team we had gas station sandwiches for lunch. Did I mention my team members don't do a lot of cooking?
My gang are all foodies that like to cook... I don't worry about it...

Brew-B-Q
06-11-2009, 10:48 AM
How's about......FAIR FOOD.....I hear thier might be some BBQ venders :rolleyes::lol:

Well, aside from your chili at Westmont, I was able to knock down a slice of pizza from one of the vendors. Geez, when you add in your biscuits and gravy, I really feel like a mooch :biggrin:

tonto1117
06-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Well, aside from your chili at Westmont, I was able to knock down a slice of pizza from one of the vendors. Geez, when you add in your biscuits and gravy, I really feel like a mooch :biggrin:

Mooch away my friend,:-D...to me it's a compliment that you like it enough to want to Mangia.

Biscuts and sausage gravy for Elk Grove will be ready at 7:30am Sat morning.:wink: Everyone is welcome.

jpouchman
06-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I had some of those biscuts, they were great! I want to try them again! I will be doing filets for dinner @ our booth Friday Night, no gas station sandwiches for us. Stop by & eat! There will also be some folks at our booth Tommy Bahama Rum. Free samples for all! Come on by!

tonto1117
06-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I had some of those biscuts, they were great! I want to try them again! I will be doing filets for dinner @ our booth Friday Night, no gas station sandwiches for us. Stop by & eat! There will also be some folks at our booth Tommy Bahama Rum. Free samples for all! Come on by!

Thanks Jeff, will do.:-D See you next week!

Ron_L
06-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Biscuts and sausage gravy for Elk Grove will be ready at 7:30am Sat morning.:wink: Everyone is welcome.

We'll bring fruit (Nicole will be happy :-D)

Free rum? Are you there now? :rolleyes:

jpouchman
06-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Ron, Fruit? That's over ratted, I'm from: Chicago Meat & Potatoes!

tonto1117
06-11-2009, 03:35 PM
We'll bring fruit (Nicole will be happy :-D)

Free rum? Are you there now? :rolleyes:

Ron, Fruit? That's over ratted, I'm from: Chicago Meat & Potatoes!

Or option 3: Rum soaked friut....:biggrin:

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm suprised we haven't come across,or made a nice chilled and injected Vodka Watermelon at a comp yet....Hmmmm:?:

Scottie
06-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Everclear injected....

tonto1117
06-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Everclear injected....

WooHooo...now were talking. To steal a line from you....Giddy Up!!:lol:

Funny thing is Nicole's choice of drink is Everclear mixed with Gatorade. We are planning this year to split up and me and Nic will cook on the FEC under the team name "EverQ" against the guys in those kilts......should be alot of fun!!!:twisted::-D

Stoke&Smoke
06-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Mooch away my friend,:-D...to me it's a compliment that you like it enough to want to Mangia.

Those biscuits and that gravy were the highlight of my morning at Westmont!:-D We'll have to see if we can't add something to the table though, kinda like Pat said, hate to feel like a mooch!

Stoke&Smoke
06-12-2009, 07:40 AM

Funny thing is Nicole's choice of drink is Everclear mixed with Gatorade. We are planning this year to split up and me and Nic will cook on the FEC under the team name "EverQ" against the guys in those kilts......should be alot of fun!!!:twisted::-D

And here we thought her favorite was our Everclear apple pie shots!:wink:

Divemaster
06-14-2009, 05:34 PM

As long as Walt doesn't wear the thong!:eek::eek::eek:

Wulfie
06-14-2009, 09:08 PM
As long as Walt doesn't wear the thong!:eek::eek::eek:

Jeff...

If you wear anything underneath it, it's a skirt...

and real men doan wear skirts!!!

Divemaster
06-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Weather Check from the Weather Channel! (It's not looking Good)
Friday, Jun 19
Day
High: 89°F RealFeelŪ: 87°F
Mostly cloudy, breezy and very warm with a couple of thunderstorms possible
Winds: SW at 18mph
Wind Gusts: 31 mph
Max UV Index: High (6)
Thunderstorm Probability: 90%
Amount of Precipitation: 0.00in
Amount of Rain: 0.00in

Friday, Jun 19
Night
Low: 67°F RealFeelŪ: 64°F
Mostly cloudy and windy
Winds: WSW at 20mph
Wind Gusts: 31 mph
Min UV Index: N/A
Thunderstorm Probability: 95%

Saturday, Jun 20
Day
High: 87°F RealFeelŪ: 85°F
Partly sunny and breezy with a couple of showers
Winds: W at 16mph
Wind Gusts: 28 mph
Max UV Index: Very High (8)
Thunderstorm Probability: 20%
Amount of Precipitation: 0.08in
Amount of Rain: 0.08in

Saturday, Jun 20
Night
Low: 65°F RealFeelŪ: 63°F
Mainly clear
Winds: W at 12mph
Wind Gusts: 22 mph
Min UV Index: N/A
Thunderstorm Probability: 16%

Jeff...

If you wear anything underneath it, it's a skirt...

and real men doan wear skirts!!!

Thanks, I'll keep a lookout for the storms... With wind gusts up to 22 mph I sure don't want to look down!

Brew-B-Q
06-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Great. Hot, rainy AND windy. Let's hope things change for the better.

This contest is on grass, so I'm hoping I don't have to learn how to pull my smoker through mud.

Stoke&Smoke
06-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Boy Dive, you're a ray of sunshine!:biggrin:

It's still 4 days out, weather around here can turn on a dime! I'm planning on sun! Really not hoping to play in the mud!

Divemaster
06-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Boy Dive, you're a ray of sunshine!:biggrin:
I just call them the way I see them... lol

It's still 4 days out, weather around here can turn on a dime! I'm planning on sun! Really not hoping to play in the mud!
Me, I'm hoping for Sun but planning on rain...

billm
06-15-2009, 01:05 PM
weather guys cant predict 24 hrs ahead accurately let alone 5 days ahead of time

Divemaster
06-15-2009, 01:12 PM
weather guys cant predict 24 hrs ahead accurately let alone 5 days ahead of time

Tell me about it... According to the forcast (Lone Wolf - Wolf it Down Forcast (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=947206&postcount=44)) on Wednesday there was a 20% chance of rain on Friday night... That 20% started around 12:30 and didn't quit until almost 7:00 in the morning.

Like I said, I'm hoping for Sun but planning for Rain...

Stoke&Smoke
06-15-2009, 04:10 PM
As I recall last year EG had a similar forecast. It was overcast and pretty windy when we arrived Friday, but it blew through by the time the peoples choice contest started.

We'll come prepared for rain, and hoping for none!

Divemaster
06-16-2009, 09:51 AM
I guess the good news is that they backed off the rain on Friday a bit (storms in the evening) and clear after that...

The bad news is that they are predicting rain for the next 3 days starting today...

Bring your boots....

Scottie
06-16-2009, 12:20 PM
That might be a problem. I don't think they will let the teams on the baseball field if it's too muddy, so they won't ruin the fields. I remember that from the first 2 years... So I don't know where they will be putting you guys...

Divemaster
06-17-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm giving up on the weather... Now the Weather Channel is saying rain Friday afternoon while AccuWeather is saying it's going to rain on and off starting Friday morning and thru the night... I want that kind of job where I don't have to be accurate, ever...

Scottie
06-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Another great reason to be in Utah..... :roll:

Divemaster
06-17-2009, 04:31 PM
I just received the following email from Ron (I removed Rons cell number from the post so if you need it, PM me)...

Ladies and Gents,

Don't let the weather get you bummed the Rib Fest is on Rain or Shine. Thanks to our Mayor and Police Chief we have come up with alternative sighting for the rib fest. YOU WILL NOT GET MUDDY. We have gotten permission to park on the entry way to the fest, we will have dry land for every cook team. Dont stay away because of a little rain, I will be at the entrance to greet all of you starting Thursday night. Just look for my golf cart or call my cell phone.

One* note, if you want the checks that you are all going to win made out to someone other than the TEAM NAME, please let me know at check-in so that there is no problems.

Friday is People's Choice I will be handing out pork, make sure that you bring something of your own as 2 tenderloins dont go that far.

PLEASE Remember, we need to be out of the park at 5:00 for the parade. If you want to stay*Saturday night let me know and I will have parking for you.

Due to being in the middle of the fest we are now a RED CUP EVENT. Please make sure that your spirits are in a
plastic cup. ( The Police are on our side).

We will have Ice and Charcoal for sale (Thank you Royal Oak, and Brian Bergen) We will try to accomidate any
problem you come by.

Lets have fun, win money, and be safe.

Ron Nunes

Doctor Porkenstein
06-17-2009, 05:33 PM

Or Indiana

Scottie
06-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Good luck Doc!

Divemaster
06-18-2009, 08:27 AM

Or Indiana
And those are two great reasons to be in Illinois.....

billm
06-19-2009, 10:00 AM
entry way to the fest vs mud? id pick the mud if I was cookin it :mrgreen:

Ford
06-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Any updates? Did everybody survive the storms yesterday.

billm
06-20-2009, 03:53 PM
stopped by to visit yesterday..whole ball field was under water and starting to encroach on the lot..fest was closed due to flooding..left just as another storm was starting to roll through..creek behind field was major cause of flooding
anyone who gets a call in this one should really be proud of themselves cooking under those conditions ..even those who dont get calls but stuck it through to cook it deserve special mention

Ron_L
06-20-2009, 06:08 PM
We just got home. It was interesting (understatement!). When we arrived on Friday it had just started raining. We sat in the truck for most of two hours watching the rain and the water in the parking lot rise. At the deepest it was 8" deep at the driver's door of our truck and much deeper down hill. It all ran off into Salt Creek by mid afternoon, but then the creek started to rise! It rose until the ballfield was flooded as Bill posted above. Then the second (or third?) round of storms hit. We had 65 mph winds but most teams were OK. Stoke and Smoke (Two Skinny Cooks) lost their canopy and their WSMs were scattered but they rallied and ended up getting called for 6th place ribs. Great job, Dann and Diane!

Then the fun began... We all sat around watching the creek rise and slowly take over the lower third of the parking lot. Several teams had to move spots to escape the water. It came within about 10 feet from our spot and halfway through Divemaster's spot before it finally started to recede around mid morning.

Aside from the weather is was a fun competition. We did fairly well with a 6th in chicken, 8th in pork and 5th in brisket and 4th overall (30 teams) Here is the top 5 overall...

GC - Shigs in Pit
RGC - Rock River BBQ
3rd - Joey Mac's Smoke Stax
4th - Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que
5th - Smokin' Scotsmen

More later... i need to shower!

Double D's BBQ
06-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Congratulations to all who competed and walked. Sounds like some very challenging conditions. Reminds me of when we cooked in Fairbanks, IN last summer.

Ron_L
06-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Here are some pictures...

Friday morning sitting in the truck...
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs088.snc1/5075_1111985331730_1589794030_254919_1833725_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v653/92/78/1589794030/n1589794030_254920_4952852.jpg

Saturday morning...
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs108.snc1/5075_1112361301129_1589794030_256282_638227_n.jpg

These are ball fields. This is where the competition was held last year.
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs108.snc1/5075_1112361541135_1589794030_256283_5072151_n.jpg

Our spot last year was next to the light pole with the yellow base..
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs108.snc1/5075_1112361821142_1589794030_256284_288772_n.jpg

Brew-B-Q
06-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Yep, that was quite an experience. Here's a view from my trailer right after the big winds rolled through:
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff342/patmccreight/CIMG0018.jpg

And here is my first DAL:
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff342/patmccreight/CIMG0020.jpg

In retrospect, I used too much rub and sauce, but this was the same recipe that scored a 172 2 weeks ago. 129 this weekend....Oh well, at least they liked the pork and brisket.

Ron_L
06-21-2009, 07:52 AM
And here is my first DAL:
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff342/patmccreight/CIMG0020.jpg

In retrospect, I used too much rub and sauce, but this was the same recipe that scored a 172 2 weeks ago. 129 this weekend....Oh well, at least they liked the pork and brisket.

I'd eat that DAL!

Here are the top 10s. Full results are on the KCBS site (http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?id=1739) as usual.

Grand Champion: Shigs In Pit
Reserve Champion: Rock River BBQ

Overall:
1 Shigs In Pit
2 Rock River BBQ
3 Joey Mac' Smoke Stax
4 Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que
5 Smokin' Scotsmen
6 Windy City Smokers
7 Star-B-Que
8 KRE Smokers
9 Duce's Wild
10 Gillys Barnstormin' BBQ

Chicken:
1 Shigs In Pit
2 Rock River BBQ
3 The B Team
4 Four Fathers BBQ
5 Smokin' Scotsmen
6 Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que
7 Gillys Barnstormin' BBQ
8 Windy City Smokers
9 MikeRib BBQ
10 KRE Smokers

Ribs:
1 Windy City Smokers
2 Church of Swinetology
3 Shigs In Pit
4 Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
5 2 Skinny Cooks
6 Star-B-Que
7 Four Fathers BBQ
8 Rock River BBQ
9 Smokin' Scotsmen
10 Joey Mac' Smoke Stax

Pork:
1 Joey Mac' Smoke Stax
2 Rock River BBQ
3 The Pig Daddy
4 Brew-B-Q
5 Star-B-Que
6 The B Team
7 KRE Smokers
8 Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que
9 MikeRib BBQ
10 Shigs In Pit

Brisket:
1 Gillys Barnstormin' BBQ
2 Duce's Wild
3 Shigs In Pit
4 Joey Mac' Smoke Stax
5 Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que
6 Stockcar BBQ
7 Brew-B-Q
8 Smokin' Scotsmen
9 Dig the Pig
10 Star-B-Que

As always, if i missed any Brethren teams please let me know.

Solidkick
06-21-2009, 01:40 PM
That chicken looked good! I understand the DAL thing all too well....we were there 2 weeks ago with a 126.....we bounced back this week with a 173.....so put it behind you, you know what you did wrong, adjust, and give it hell the next time.....I have to admit, though, all I thought about for about a week was chicken...:mrgreen:

Congrats to all for an excellent showing under dismal conditions! You all are top notch in my book!

Smokin' Joe
06-21-2009, 04:19 PM
wow...that looks challenging:shock:

And that doesn't look like DAL chicken:eek: It couldn't have been the appearance scores!

congrats to all who got calls:eusa_clap

Stoke&Smoke
06-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Pat,

Thanks for taking the DAL in chicken this year! (that was us last year at EG) on the other hand if memory serves, you were the only one below us on the chicken sheet, so obviously we weren't so hot there either. Apparently, we didn't cut all the way through our chicken, and one of our comment sheets said we were almost DQ'd for it. I got distracted and put it in the box before I cut it, and rather than try to take it out without messing up the box, I tried to cut it where it sat...dumb idea!:icon_pissed Oh well, they say you only make those kinds of mistakes. Hope that's true!

Thanks RonL, for the props (it was 5th place ribs!:-D)

To everyone at the comp, I'm very happy that nobody (as far as I know) was injured Friday night! That was one heck of a storm!
Thanks to all those who helped us out while we tried to pick up the mess, especially to Tonto and Bud who allowed us to weather out the remainder of the storm in the SmoScoMoHo. We must have looked like a couple of wet dogs when we knocked on thier door! Oh, and thanks to Joe and Nicole for feeding us then also!

Once we lost the EZUP, we figured if we could just get everything cooked and turned in, we would call the weekend a success. So we were happy to do just that.

Unlike many others, who were either forced by the rising water to move, or those like Dive, who just put on higher boots , at least we were able to dry out some of our stuff over the course of Saturday morning so we didn't have a mildew fest when we got home. So in the long run, we were pretty fortunate!

Thanks also to all the brethren and non-brethren who offered us assistance both Friday and Saturday. I don't think there is any other competitive activity where such comraderie can be found!

Till the next one, see you all in the smoke!
Dann and Di

moocow
06-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Good job Guys!!

Rub
06-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Congrats to all for the good calls, and for surviving the monsoon!

jpouchman
06-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Ron, hide those pic's of the flood, I am having nightmares!

Divemaster
06-22-2009, 08:19 AM
First I want to congratulate all that survived and even managed to walk this weekend!

I'll tell you, I'm amazed that many teams survived at all after those storms! I've now figured out how the Lord flooded the world... It wasn't rain for 40 day’s; he just waited for the rivers and sewers to back up!

Our weekend was just that, survivable… I should have seen it coming when we went to leave and discovered that the truck (with the trailer attached) had a flat rear tire… Not the way to start the weekend… Our other joy was once we did finally get there and get everything set up, having to take it all down again because of the predicted winds, only to set it all back up again. Thanks to all that helped! I think the final straw was when the water rose to the point we had to move the Mistress 10 feet from our site because of the raising water… I don’t think she liked the move because from that point on she just couldn’t get comfortable and we had temps from one end to the other…

I want to compliment Ron Nunes for putting on a great event under the most adverse conditions I’ve ever seen. Ron was there when ever we needed anything and was constantly checking up on all of the teams as the water was both raising and falling.

As for how we did, I’d rather not talk about it… While I would love to blame the storms for our problems, we were just off of our game this weekend… Our only redeeming entry was our brisket and I think the only reason it did well was because of the burnt ends (sorry Sled)… As for Brew-B-Q’s Chicken DAL, we were only a couple of places above you so I feel your pain…

So for now we are going to re-group, mend our wounds, and get ready for Iron Mountain.

Bud's BBQ
06-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Words can do no justice as to just how much rain and wind came at us this weekend. While we have attracted some rough weather over the comp season. . . . . this weekend was the end all. The Smo Sco was litterally lifted off the wheels on one side of the coach. Thanks to all of significant girth that moved rapidly to the right side and held her down.
We're so happy that no one got injured and sorry for those who lost equipment.

Great to see everybody.

Congrats to Shigs on your GC (great to have you as neighbors along with the empty jack bottles adorning your site :lol: ) and Mike and Theresa for reserve and to all who got called. Every team should have been awarded a hazardous duty ribbon just for being there.

The upside is that our daughter flew in to O'hare right after awards and took me to the Cubs game on Sunday.

Tonto is still sleeping and told me not to wake her to Thursday.

P S - Pat, can't believe that box was dal, it look mighty good to us.

Walt and Tonto

big brother smoke
06-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Great showing folks! Glad all are safe.

Ron_L
06-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Ron, hide those pic's of the flood, I am having nightmares!

Sorry, Bro!

While we have attracted some rough weather over the comp season. . . . . this weekend was the end all.

That's an interesting point... Could the SmoScoMoHo be an attractor for severe weather? Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Dale P
06-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Congrats to my friends Shigs and congrats to all who walked. i am taking over the shiggin trail. Stephan, Todd, & Jeff dont need to shig anymore. :wink:

Ron_L
06-23-2009, 04:12 PM
I was looking at the pictures that i took on my iPhone at Elk Grove and I found a pretty good time sequence of the flood.

Friday around 10:00AM - The water is just starting to edge into the parking lot.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/SkFC1DtEf5I/AAAAAAAADPk/hYWh1IIUQ9k/s400/IMG_0058.JPG

Friday around 11:00AM - The water is covering more of the parking lot
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/SkFC1dRUvsI/AAAAAAAADPo/WWCl7yv6V4M/s400/IMG_0059.JPG

Friday around noon - The parking lot is completely covered.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/SkFC1vMvQ2I/AAAAAAAADPs/TxZc615z2rw/s400/IMG_0060.JPG

Friday around 12:30PM - The water in the parking lot is starting to run off across the fields towards Salt Creek
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/SkFC2HoRuXI/AAAAAAAADP0/K8uGVbYst_s/s512/IMG_0063.JPG

Friday around 1:00PM - Thr runoff is getting heavier
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/SkFC2R1-hTI/AAAAAAAADP4/9A-3fM97zdQ/s512/IMG_0064.JPG

Friday around 5:00PM - Salt Creek has overflowed its banks and is starting to cover the fields
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/SkFC25DDpoI/AAAAAAAADP8/M0Cf7BzSoUQ/s512/IMG_0065.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/SkFC2zwxHJI/AAAAAAAADQA/jcTwwX6c4sg/s512/IMG_0066.JPG

Saturday around 6:00AM - The parking lot is covered again. Several teams had to move.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/SkFC3vHhU2I/AAAAAAAADQI/tgRYkqNkShw/s512/IMG_0068.JPG

and the ball fields are a lake.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/SkFC3wF10nI/AAAAAAAADQM/eXM_U5J_8us/s512/IMG_0069.JPG

At the highest the water was about 5 feet from my truck.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/SkFC4E820jI/AAAAAAAADQQ/_yuZjrsalS4/s512/IMG_0070.JPG

Oh! I almost forgot about this one... This is one of the unfortunate victims of the floods...
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/SkFC3aH-FAI/AAAAAAAADQE/mGnbqJRSAjk/s400/IMG_0067.JPG

:-D :-D :-D :-D

bbqbull
06-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Quit your bitchin.

Thats not deep water at a contest, I did Taste of Grand Rapids in 2001 or 2002, 3 different gully washers came though. We were on the down side of a hill at Richmond Park, had several 2x4's under one side of my Klose mobile.
Water was running down the hill towards us, the water was half way up our calves.

Stoke&Smoke
06-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Quit your bitchin.

Thats not deep water at a contest, I did Taste of Grand Rapids in 2001 or 2002, 3 different gully washers came though. We were on the down side of a hill at Richmond Park, had several 2x4's under one side of my Klose mobile.
Water was running down the hill towards us, the water was half way up our calves.

Do you mean something like this? Nice boots by the way Dive!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/2SkinnyCooks/EG09/2.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/2SkinnyCooks/EG09/3.jpg

Divemaster
06-24-2009, 12:43 PM
I was wondering when those pictures were going to show up.... lol

Scottie
06-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Mmmmmm. All those pictures have a porta-potty or a fallen over porta-potty in them.... I hope you guys all got shots after that contest...

Ron_L
06-24-2009, 02:02 PM
I keep hoping that someone checked the fallen portapotty to make sure no one was in it :rolleyes:

Wulfie
06-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Mmmmmm. All those pictures have a porta-potty or a fallen over porta-potty in them.... I hope you guys all got shots after that contest...

After all the rounds from the "Shot Fairy" and the 9:22 generously donated by Joey Mac, I think we were pretty well covered for a while.

Brew-B-Q
06-25-2009, 09:56 AM
the 9:22 generously donated by Joey Mac

That's it! I was messing with my pork and missed the shot by 30 seconds....and I get DAL in chicken. Now it all makes sense.

Scottie
06-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Joey donating the shot is like a solar eclipse... I would of stayed for a few...

Jorge
06-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Joey donating the shot is like a solar eclipse... I would of stayed for a few...

That Zinger only counts if he's around to read it:lol:

Scottie
06-25-2009, 10:44 AM
I'll tell it to him too... It was more for Pat that he missed a shot from Joey... As I think there is an eclipse in the next 10 years.... :roll:

He got himself in trouble a few years back at our winter burn and he is on a short leash would be my guess...