PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Variety Club BBQ June 5 & 6, Memphis, TN

GridironGriller2
05-18-2009, 11:20 PM
So who has got there stuff in and coming??? I think they have maxed out the KCBS and the Backyard comp. The Gridiron Grillers will be there cooking in the KCBS side. Stop by the tent and say hi please. This will be the inaugural competition of our two UDS. Looking foward to cooking, competing, and having some fun. Also the if you get a chance to catch the kids cook on Sat. morning please do so. Its a great event where ALL the money goes back to local childerns charities.

getyourrubonbbq
05-19-2009, 06:58 AM
I'll be there! I'm really excited that this is a Jack Daniels qualifier also. Good Luck to everyone competing.

rbinms33
05-19-2009, 12:11 PM
We'll be there. Already registered but gotta drop off the entry fee at the office tomorrow (too late to mail).

Looking forward to meeting some new folks and really hoping we'll have the same kind of weather that we have right now.

KillerHogs
05-19-2009, 01:41 PM
The Killer Hogs will be there. Stop by and say hello.

CajunSmoker
05-19-2009, 10:13 PM
We'll be there. Hope to get in late Thursday.

GridironGriller2
05-20-2009, 05:48 PM
We'll be there. Hope to get in late Thursday.

We will be there Thur. night setting our tent up. See everyone there.

Ron_L
05-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Where is this competition?

getyourrubonbbq
05-20-2009, 06:55 PM
In Memphis at the Variety Club on Sycamore View. Theres a field beside their office where the teams will be set up.

Big Tom
05-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I'll be there with the rest of the Pigs-R-Us crew. We are conveining on Thursday.

Looking forward to meeting some brethren!

CajunSmoker
05-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Where is this competition?

http://www.varietyclubmemphis.com/

It's a real nice contest, and I can hardly wait to get back.:cool:

Anyone know what the music is going to be?

GridironGriller2
05-21-2009, 06:41 PM

When I get home tomorrow I heading up to the club for Happy hour. I will find out some details. I know two weeks ago the field was in great shape. Also because they installed light poles, overhead powerlines and the water lines in the ground there should not be many issues issues this year. We will be there Thur. night setting the tents. If I do not see you guys then come by Friday night. We should be near the bushes near the parking lott with a lot of U.Of Memphis stuff flying. Please stop by and say hi.

Ron_L
05-22-2009, 08:14 AM

Thanks, Rodger! I'll add that to the thread title so folks know.

QN
06-02-2009, 12:27 PM
This one is getting close. I'll be there Friday afternoon to judge or table captain or whatever on Saturday. Hope to meet some of you farkers there.

CajunSmoker
06-04-2009, 08:14 PM
If your coming you better bring your boots:biggrin: We got about an inch of rain on this Gumbo soil and it's slicker than owl chit:!: They're draging us in and draging us out.

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm289/cajunsmoker/Memphis09/?action=view&current=752d0c05.pbw

That last picture is my favorite:-P There's just somethin about a big ole girl in hip boots:icon_blush:

rbinms33
06-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Dang.....I'm sure it won't be much drier when we show up in the AM but I did see a tractor in the background....just in case....LOL.

QueTPiesBBQ
06-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Dang.....I'm sure it won't be much drier when we show up in the AM but I did see a tractor in the background....just in case....LOL.

good luck to you guys this weekend. Hope you don't need hip boots to get around, but from the look of it you might need them.

Chris

GridironGriller2
06-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Yep its muddy... mostly on the main drive areas. They were working tonight when I left filling in ruts with sand and grading the worst areas. But my little Honda Element got in and out with out any problems today. See everyone out there tomorrow.

CajunSmoker
06-05-2009, 06:35 AM
Things are looking a lot better this morning. Blue sky's and the crew worked late last night on the roads, so hopefully everything will be fine.

Big Tom
06-05-2009, 08:38 AM
There were some big mud holes from yesterday's rain and subsequent big trucks and bigger trailers. Things might get intersting as folks try to jockey into position in some areas because of the scattered placement and some slop.

Can't wait!

GridironGriller2
06-05-2009, 11:02 PM
All the mud is dryed up... cookers are a going... I'm home to get 4 hrs sleep and back to start ribs in the AM. See everyone in the AM

GridironGriller
06-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Things are looking a lot better this morning. Blue sky's and the crew worked late last night on the roads, so hopefully everything will be fine.

Congrats on the pork!!!

rbinms33
06-07-2009, 10:43 AM
I don't know about the other competitions that went on this weekend but we couldn't have asked for better weather for this one. No rain and 39 deg like Little Rock was or thunderstorms like Lula and Ashland. For once, we just got to sit out and enjoy ourselves and not spend every 15 minutes eyeballing approaching weather fronts on the blackberry.

Got to meet Jimmy from Gridiron Grillers and Big Tom from Pigs-R-Us. Big Tom, you were right about your gang....really nice group of guys that gave us the full tour of ya'lls rig and the smokers when we came over looking for you earlier on Friday. Mark (QN) also stopped by and hung out for a while on Friday night. Always nice to meet brothers from the board. Didn't get to meet the Killer Hogs bunch but we'll catch ya'll next time around.

Got to see Rodger from Cajun Que Krewe and James from Get Your Rub on BBQ again. Always a pleasure hanging out and BS'ing with you guys. Looking forward to the next one.

Congrats to Rodger on that 1st place Pork walk. Among that crowd, that's saying something brother! (By the way, I think I figured out what happened with our pork. It wasn't the rub or the cooking time....I forgot to give our little perimeter guarding buddy a pat on the head! Heck, I was jinxed from the get go and no amount of 11A shots was going to change that...LOL.)

All in all, this was a VERY well run competition that we look forward to next year. Jimmy, tell Doc and the rest of the gang hats off to them, they put on a good show!

tigercc
06-08-2009, 05:39 PM
This is my first post here, but just wanted to let you guys know what a great team rbinms33 has. This was my first competition that was not backyard and I could not have done it without the help of Perfect Smoke. Specifically, Richies wife spent the time to show us how to prep our turn in boxes which was awesome. I guess he's too shy to say something (or maybe I missed it) but Richie got a call for 8th in chicken. I tasted it and felt bad that I even turned mine in after that.

rbinms33
06-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the compliments, Chris! It's always good to have neighbors like you and your crew and we look forward to seeing you at the next one.

As far as prepping those boxes, one of the nicest teams we've ever met showed us how to do that back when we were first getting started last year. As a matter of fact, they won a GC this past weekend over in KS and it couldn't have happened to a finer husband/wife team. It's all about being neighborly and helping out and I'm glad we could do for you what they did for us.

I sure am glad you found the board. You won't find a better bunch of folks anywhere on the internet. And now that you're here, go on over to the Cattle Call section and introduce yourself and tell everybody about Yellow Hammer. Welcome to the group!

getyourrubonbbq
06-09-2009, 03:32 PM
I had a blast!! It's always fun hanging out with the Perfect Smoke Team. Just don't borrow any rope from them and forget to return it, especially a purple rope. LOL Congrats on your call Richie!!

CajunSmoker
06-09-2009, 04:13 PM
I had a blast!! It's always fun hanging out with the Perfect Smoke Team. Just don't borrow any rope from them and forget to return it, especially a purple rope. LOL Congrats on your call Richie!!

LOL!! I heard about that:lol::lol:

It was nice meeting you and the GridIronGrillers. It's always fun when we get to hang out with Ritchie, Doug and Rachael from the Perfect Smoke team:cool:. Maybe one of these days they'll help me figure out my chicken:mad:

getyourrubonbbq
06-09-2009, 04:22 PM
It was a pleasure meeting you Rodger! Look forward to the next one.