PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on Jack Daniel's World Championship Barbecue

jswordy
05-18-2009, 03:26 PM
This info is posted as an FYI for anyone who would like to consider going, either to check it out or as a qualified entrant. The event is the fourth Saturday in October, and not far from me, so if anyone does go, please let me know!

http://www.jackdaniels.com/TheDistillery/InvitationalBBQ.aspx

Here is a piece about last year's winners that also tells more about what it takes to qualify.

http://www.jackdaniels.com/happenings/default.aspx?id=106&st=Qualify

musicmanryann
05-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Wow this sounds like a great idea! I cannot believe I have never heard of it before!

:lol:

getyourrubonbbq
05-18-2009, 05:09 PM
I would completely freak out if I was able to qualify for the Jack. Maybe I'll get lucky at the Variety Club and do just that. It's a qualifier comp. and from what I hear it's going to be packed this year.

DMDon
05-18-2009, 06:03 PM
any link on the actual ways to qualify, I seen the various ways in the past but can't find it on the website now

jswordy
05-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Well, if any of y'all DO manage to compete, I am just 20 miles down the road. Be sure to let me know! Hmmm ... matter of fact, this might make a real good Brethren Challenge -- get one of our guys in the Jack! I'm telling you, it is am amazing site when that weekend rolls around.

jswordy
05-19-2009, 12:14 PM
any link on the actual ways to qualify, I seen the various ways in the past but can't find it on the website now

To compete at "The Jack," domestic teams must have in the past year won a state championship with 25 teams or a competition of 50 teams, or have won an event considered an automatic to the event like the American Royal, Memphis in May or Houston World Championship Bar-B-Que. More than 25,000 people descended on Lynchburg to bask in the aroma of award-winning barbecue and to celebrate 20 years of one of America’s favorite pastimes.

"To get to the Jack Daniel’s World Championship Barbecue, you’ve got to prove yourself all season on the competitive barbecuing circuit," said Lynne Tolley, KCBS certified barbecue judge and great-grandniece of Jack Daniel. "And when you finally earn your right to compete here, it’s an all-out battle of tongs and smoke to claim our top prize."

In addition to honoring the Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion, the Jack Daniel’s event awards first-place prizes in seven categories: pork ribs, pork shoulder, beef brisket, chicken, Chef’s Choice (domestic)/Home Cookin’ from the Homeland (international) and sauce (which must contain a little of the hometown product) and dessert. The winners of these individual categories are:

Pork Ribs – Carcass Cookers – Pueblo, Colorado
Pork Shoulder – Butcher BBQ – Chandler, Oklahoma
Beef Brisket – Bubba & Jeff’s BBQ – Lees Summit, Missouri
Chicken – 4 Legs Up BBQ – Great Bend, Kansas
Chef’s Choice – I Que – Hopkinton, Massachusetts
Home Cookin’ from the Homeland – World Barbecue Team - Switzerland
Sauce – Pellet Envy – Leadwood, Kansas
Dessert – 4 Legs Up BBQ – Great Bend, Kansas

Grand Champions get $2,500, bragging rights to winning what competitors call the most prestigious barbecue contest in the world and the chance to come back and defend their title next year.

Reserve Grand Champions get a cash prize of $1,500.

That buys a lot of beer.

BBQchef33
05-19-2009, 12:25 PM
This year so far we have seval members who are shoe ins, Sledneck and Don Marco, and many others are up for the draw.

Heres Last Years Jack. We were in it(and loads of others from here) .. Our team was me(and james), yakfishingfool, muzzlebreak, hodedo and kim, and Speedo.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/bbqchef33/The%20Jack%202008/IMG_1307.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/bbqchef33/The%20Jack%202008/IMG_1408.jpg

KC_Bobby
05-19-2009, 01:04 PM

It's kinda more like ... how many Brethren can partake :biggrin:
To give you an idea, I put the Brethren teams in red (Carcass and 4 Legs up might be too)

Ron_L
05-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Hmmm ... matter of fact, this might make a real good Brethren Challenge -- get one of our guys in the Jack! I'm telling you, it is am amazing site when that weekend rolls around.

Besides the Poobah and the guys going last year, look at the list of winners that you posted. I have highlighted the Brethren member teams in bold. I think we were pretty well represented.

Scottie
05-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Sweet, I'll have to check this contest out...

Nitrofly
05-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Now that there is funny
I don't care who you are
Thats just Funny :biggrin:

musicmanryann
05-19-2009, 02:14 PM

LMFAO!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ron_L
05-19-2009, 02:24 PM

Ya never know... You might just catch lightning in a bottle and win! :rolleyes:

Scottie
05-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Like an empty bottle of Jack? I'll have to try that with some lightning.... and I'm not talking white lightning either.... :shock:

Jorge
05-19-2009, 02:31 PM

Make sure you try something called...Sundrop. I bet you'll like it.

BBQchef33
05-19-2009, 02:33 PM

ahem....

http://cancersucksbbq.com/images/jackdaniels-godaddy.jpg

Scottie
05-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Geez, that guy has a Cancer Sucks! sweatshirt on...

It also looks like Tana is dancing to the "Go Daddy" song too in the background.... lol

tonto1117
05-19-2009, 03:04 PM
I know youv'e always wanted to hear this but maybe not in this exact context...but....

THOSE GIRLS MAKE YOU LOOK SOOOOO GOOD!!!:-D:biggrin::tongue:

Ron_L
05-19-2009, 04:05 PM
ahem....

Photoshop is amazing, isn't it? :icon_cool

Scottie
05-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Photoshop is amazing, isn't it? :icon_cool

No doubt... I think I look skinny....

Solidkick
05-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Tell you what.....you qualify and I'll come down and stay up ALL night making sure no one takes anything out of your cooker.......I am a Diddler, so since there is no charcoal fire to watch, I might have to turn a knob or two... :cool:

DMDon
05-19-2009, 05:33 PM
To compete at "The Jack," domestic teams must have in the past year won a state championship with 25 teams or a competition of 50 teams, or have won an event considered an automatic to the event like the American Royal, Memphis in May or Houston World Championship Bar-B-Que. More than 25,000 people descended on Lynchburg to bask in the aroma of award-winning barbecue and to celebrate 20 years of one of America’s favorite pastimes.

I know 7 GC's, auto qualifies, and the draw. What are the other ways to qualify?

Vince RnQ
05-19-2009, 06:40 PM
This is the qualifying criteria for last year's contest. I spoke to Debbie Christian, the event coordinator, last Friday and she told me that the same criteria will apply again this year but that a few wording changes will be made to help clear up some of the confusion that existed last year.

20th Annual Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue

October 24-25, 2008

Lynchburg, Tennessee

The Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue is a competition like none other in the world.
· It is solely “by invitation only” with U.S. competitors limited by the criteria below. Grand Champions from the previous year’s Jack Daniel’s Invitational, the American Royal Open Competition, the annual Memphis in May and Houston Livestock & Barbecue competitions receive automatic entries.
· There is no entry fee for the competitors.
· Invitations are sent only to the “Grand Champion” of qualifying contests; no “pass downs” are allowed.
· Every U.S. team invited must earn its way to Lynchburg and into “The Jack.”
· International teams are encouraged to compete but may not include members who are U.S. citizens unless their primary residence is in the country they represent.

Criteria Retroactive to September 1, 2007:
· To receive an invitation, teams must cook in the categories of pork, chicken, and beef to be considered that contest’s grand champion. In a KCBS-sanctioned competition, teams must cook the required four categories.
· If a contest is the only contest in a state, it should have a minimum of 15 competing teams.
· First-year contests that have a “state championship” proclamation from the governor of the state in which the contest is held should have a minimum of 15 competing teams. After the first year, a contest will be considered an “established” contest.
· Established contests that have a “state championship” proclamation should have a minimum of 25 competing teams.
· Contests with a minimum of 50 competing teams are qualifiers and do not require a “state championship” proclamation.
· Any U.S.-based team winning a competition in another country will have its name placed in the draw in the chief cook’s home state.

Any request for an exception to the above criteria must be sent in writing to Debbie Christian

FYI:
· After a team has competed at “The Jack” nine times, the tenth year they win a qualifying competition, they will be invited without going through any draws.
· Any team that wins seven qualifying competitions within the current barbecue season (September 1 – August 31) – we’re the Old No. 7 Brand, right! – will be invited without going through any draws.
It is the team’s responsibility to provide Debbie Christian with the appropriate information (i.e. dates competed at “The Jack” or “grand championships” won that year).

jswordy
05-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Kewl, I had no idea so many from here had been there!

Scottie
05-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Tell you what.....you qualify and I'll come down and stay up ALL night making sure no one takes anything out of your cooker.......

Why do you think I have Dirty "Jorge" Harry Callahan as head of security... :eek:

Jorge
05-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Why do you think I have Dirty "Jorge" Harry Callahan as head of security... :eek:

My attorney is still waiting to hear from you, to see if we have come to terms:wink::mrgreen:

Solidkick
05-20-2009, 12:28 PM

My attorney is still waiting to hear from you, to see if we have come to terms:wink::mrgreen:

I work cheap.....and illegal.......:shock:

Scottie
05-20-2009, 12:31 PM

Oh man, with all this excitement, I have to remember to either wimp out or make the bet.... :icon_blush: Well, do I feel lucky, punk?

Jorge
05-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Oh man, with all this excitement, I have to remember to either wimp out or make the bet.... :icon_blush: Well, do I feel lucky, punk?

Go Big, or Go Home.

Scottie
05-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Go Big, or Go Home.

I've got me one of them Motley Que Crew shirts... Well, I officially have until the turn in of my meat, right? Which is Sunday at noon? :idea:

Jorge
05-20-2009, 12:44 PM
I've got me one of them Motley Que Crew shirts... Well, I officially have until the turn in of my meat, right? Which is Sunday at noon? :idea:

I think noon CST on Friday would be fair to all parties:mrgreen:

Scottie
05-20-2009, 12:54 PM

Damn you...:icon_bugeyed

Jorge
05-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Damn you...:icon_bugeyed

I haven't even emailed your friends.....yet8-)

Scottie
05-21-2009, 12:27 PM

You know.. What am I waiting for? You're on buddy!!!! If I don't think I am going in to a contest and win, then I shouldn't be competing... Besides, history has proved that I work better under pressure... See Jack '06... :twisted: (now that keeps this post on subject)....

So I accept your challenge and 'action'... We're on!!! :icon_clown

To also get me in the mood, I have some jalepeno/cheese sausage for the girls for this weekend!!! 8-)

Jorge
05-21-2009, 02:28 PM
You know.. What am I waiting for? You're on buddy!!!! If I don't think I am going in to a contest and win, then I shouldn't be competing... Besides, history has proved that I work better under pressure... See Jack '06... :twisted: (now that keeps this post on subject)....

So I accept your challenge and 'action'... We're on!!! :icon_clown

To also get me in the mood, I have some jalepeno/cheese sausage for the girls for this weekend!!! 8-)

Deal! Best of luck this weekend! A GC would be 4 or 5 on the way back to Lynchburg?

Scottie
05-21-2009, 02:30 PM

Ron_L
05-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Personally i think you should wait until you are in Utah for number 5 :-D

Scottie
05-21-2009, 03:30 PM
I think I was out of the GC by a couple of points at Utah to Johnny. I know I was only .5 out of the GC at Westmont... So those are shorter odds.... 8-)

Besides Ron, the way the judges have been judging my meat this year.. It's either loving it or hating it... They hated last it week, so hopefully that means I will be "on" this week... Well, it sounds good anyway...

jswordy
05-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Damn, I am going to have fun wandering around Lynchburg this year, going, "Uh, do I know ya? Do I know ya?" Heheheheh! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: This gig is only about 20 miles from my door!

And a THROW-DOWN CHALLENGE, to boot!

Man, am I ever glad I started this thread... y'all go ahead...

CajunSmoker
05-21-2009, 06:20 PM

Pick up Podge on your way down:-D I heard he was wanting to check it out too:biggrin: