View Full Version : Contest Results Smoke In The Valley (PA) 5/15-16

MilitantSquatter
05-16-2009, 04:52 PM
per Sledneck...

Lo N Slo - GC
Who Are Those Guys ? - Reserve GC

backporchbbq
05-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Congrats to Lo N Slo and Who are those guys.

Congrats to everyone that was called.

All in all I thought the contest was very good, especially for the first time they had a contest. I will absolutely be going back to that contest next year. Hopefully we do better next year, not a good showing for us, but those are the breaks.

Great seeing everyone.

SmokeInDaEye
05-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Awesome contest and too many stories. Sled's crawfish boil, cooking the world's smallest bacon explosion on Huntington County Custom's mini lang, and cooking with SmokinGnome and Cigarbque! We were sniffing at a top finish until getting killed in brisket for smoke reason. Congrats again Tom, Michelle, George and especially Red Lion who rocked in their first contest.

Overall
1. Lo N Slo!!!
2. Who Are those Guys
3. PA Midnight Smokers
4. Philly Blind Pigs BBQ
5. Stumpy Coals
6. Wide Spread BBQ
7. Ribs Within
8. Ranuccis Big Butt BBQ
9. Smoke In Da Eye
10. Hog Feathers

Chicken
1. Smoke In Da Eye
2. Black Tie BBQ
3. Max Que
4. Philly Blind Pig
5. Hill Billy BBQ
6. Rub Me Tender
7. Who Are Those Guys
8. Stumpy Coals
9. Thick N Sauce
10. Fire Ants

Ribs
1. Smoke Daddy's Barbecue
2. Red Lion Spicy Foods
3. Philly Blind Pigs
4. PA Midnight Smokers
5. Wide Spread BBQ
6. Who Are Those Guys
7. Smoke In Da Eye
8. Pequa Pullers
9. Ranuccis Big Butt BBQ
10. Thick N Saucy

Pork
1. Lo N Slo
2. Free Range BBQ
3. Stumpy Coals
4. 2 Little Pigs BBQ
5. Christmas City BBQ
6. Smoke In Da Eye
7. Who Are Those Guys
8. Philly Blind Pigs
9. Hog Feathers
10. The BBQ Beer Buddies

Brisket
1. Lo N Slo
2. Red Lion Spicy Foods
3. Ranuccis Big Butt
4. Ribs Within
5. PA Midnight Smokers
6. Free Range BBQ
7. Wide Spread BBQ
8. Hog Feathers BBQ
9. 2 Little Piggies BBQ
10. Who Are Those Guys?

Ron_L
05-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Nice job, SIDE!

Pig Headed
05-17-2009, 05:55 AM
Congrats to all who walked. Clint, looks like you didn 't take any advice from Sled in chicken.

Cigarbque
05-17-2009, 06:54 AM
Congrats to Low-n-Slow, WATG, SIDE and all who walked. Had a great time cooking with SIDE & BBQ Gnome. Chipper kicked a** with two walks on his first comp, way to go Dude! Sled was the Friday night hero with the mud bugs. It was great to meet so many nice folks. Fantastic well run comp. Will be there next year.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
05-17-2009, 07:02 AM
Some great results. Congratulations everyone. Sure sounds like fun too.

Sledneck
05-17-2009, 07:13 AM
What a great contest.The firehouse that ran it were a great bunch of folks and really bent over backwards for the teams. I dont think a half hour went by that somebody wasnt passing by asking if you needed ice($2 a bag!) or garbage pick up or even just to ask if you needed anything at all . Thank you to George and watg? team for getting me out of the house and letting me hang out for the weekend, lotsw of laughs. Nice to meet some new brethren as well as seeing some old ones as well. Congrats to Chipper on the walks at his first even contest.Congrats to Lo n slow on GC and watg? for RGC

tmcmaster
05-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Great weekend. Hard to believe it was thier first year running it.

Had a blast meeting everyone. I was the dude in the hat hanging with Julie and 2 Little Piggys!

Congrats to Lo-N-Slo!

Sledneck
05-17-2009, 07:54 AM
I will post some pics of the crawfish boil later. On the way home the GPS lady sent us on the scenic route home. Some very interesting sights for sure. After driving for about a half hour through the land that time left behind we passed a church in the middle of nowhere that was name "The first church of the brethren" Wish we had taken a picture. Then when we finally hit a main road we passed an out of business restaurant called "Gregorys Seafood Factory", underneath that sign was another sign that said"Great Steaks" Hmmm i wonder why they went out of business? Maybe gregory should of called it "Gregorys Steak Factory" Doh!

Chipper
05-17-2009, 08:03 AM
What a great contest.The firehouse that ran it were a great bunch of folks and really bent over backwards for the teams. I dont think a half hour went by that somebody wasnt passing by asking if you needed ice($2 a bag!) or garbage pick up or even just to ask if you needed anything at all . Thank you to George and watg? team for getting me out of the house and letting me hang out for the weekend, lots of laughs. Nice to meet some new brethren as well as seeing some old ones as well. Congrats to Chipper on the walks at his first even contest.

Sled, thanks and thanks to all for the great time. You said it all about the fire company and how much they did to ensure we all had what we needed.
I'm still in shock over how well we did.
I have to say that our success was 100% due to the result of the knowledge I have gained by being a member of the BBQ Brethren. And it great to finally meet some of the guys. George for WATG?, Clint, Tom from Lo-N-Slo, Smokin' Gnome, Cigarbque, Back Porch BBQ to name a few. And Sled, crutches and all with the mud bugs!
We did make a huge rookie mistake with leaving a toothpick in the chicken, but we are glad that it happened now, so we don't do it again.
Needless to say, we are hooked and can't wait for the next one.

watg?
05-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Nice weather, gracious host, good friends, cold beer, it don't git much better.

Congrats to all that were called, SIDE 1st place chicken!! Chipper, wow, what a debut! Good seeing old friends and meeting the new.

Special thanks to the Sled for offering his wisdom and guidance with our first venture into parsley world and for working part time as our bouncer, bad wheel and all!:lol::lol:

SmokeInDaEye
05-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Not to mention the fact that drunk firefighters make awesome 40 foot bonfires!

Sledneck
05-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Not to mention the fact that drunk firefighters make awesome 40 foot bonfires!
and that PA seems to encourage aggressive driving

WannaBeBBQueen
05-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Congrats to all that walked, nice job!!:biggrin:

ique
05-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Congrats to the winners. Watch out for Lo N Slow ... :eusa_clap

widespread
05-17-2009, 09:48 AM
What a great weekend! Shawn and company did a super job, we will definitely be back next year. It was good to see everyone again and meet some new people. Great job on the mud bugs and seafood boil, Sled! Congrats to Tom and Michelle, WATG, and all who got calls.

Solidkick
05-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Nice job everyone! Congrats to all!

SmokeInDaEye
05-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Here's a picture of the world's smallest bacon explosion. Got the whole series here (http://tinyurl.com/op82nm) and am editing the video. Thanks again to Brian for letting us play with the little Lang and for the Gift Certificate that came with the first place chicken victory! I didn't even look at the envelope until I got home!

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/SmokeInDaEye/CIMG1499.jpg

Westexbbq
05-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Nice going folks,
sounds like lots of fun and congratulations to all.

Smokin Turkey
05-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Congrats to everyone who walked.. everyone who placed.. and everyone who came out! It was fun! Special thanks to Clint and the whole Smoke in the gnome out the... well those guys for running the mini on the few pieces of wood I remembered to bring! (oops) the mico explosion could only be seen with the use of special scientific equipment and it created a buz Friday.

Another special thanks to Steve for the "little" mud bugs (I've seriously never been afraid of getting raped by a crawfish before seeing the size of those monsters!)

More special thanks go to all the Volunteer fire and fire families who kept me stumbling drunk all night Friday at the outdoor bar supplying me with all the funny local stories and such.

There are people I know I have forgotten but it's only cause I am just now coming out of my coma sleep from last night. Not sure if any of the other teams hit the massive thunderstorms I hit on my way home but it was crazy..

Great time had by all and looking forward to another great weekend next at Roc City!

BTW, did anyone get any pics of the many HCC mud bog team rescues?

Alexa RnQ
05-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Congratulations for watg? on Reserve, SIDE for 1st chicken, and all the Brethren there! This thread was a fun enough read, but then came the drunk firemen and the bonfire -- if that isn't worth the drive, I don't know what would be!

nooner
05-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Congrats to all that got called. The event ran very smoothly and the staff of the event were quite attentive. The ash pickup was a nice treat at the end of an event when you are just wanting to get packed up and beat the rain. The competitor spaces were over sized (at least for what I am used to) so that made for some nice elbow room between the teams. The park was easy to get in and out of. Overall, it was a great time for our team.

I hope the fire company made enough money to do this again next year. They may have attracted more people with additional food vendors.

Big George's BBQ
05-17-2009, 02:54 PM
They already have a planning committee for net year. They figured 11 kegs of beer for the beer tent for the weekend- they went through 12 Fri. night. They did an awesome job and it was their first contest. We had a great time but did not do well. We thought brisket was our worse entry yet it was our best score. Oh well back to the drawing board. Will definately plan to go back next year. Congrats to all that go a call. It was a good wekend and really nice seing everyone

j-dog
05-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Congrats to all who walked and the first-timers who got it all in on time! Harold and I had a great time seeing everyone again, even tho circumstances conspired to keep us from competing. Had a great time hanging with Clint, Sal and Brian! And the crawfish were awesome!

Lisa
Jumping Dog BBQ

watg?
05-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Congrats to all who walked and the first-timers who got it all in on time! Harold and I had a great time seeing everyone again, even tho circumstances conspired to keep us from competing. Had a great time hanging with Clint, Sal and Brian! And the crawfish were awesome!

Lisa
Jumping Dog BBQ

Good seeing you two again! (and great seeing you here!:-P)

watg?
05-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Smokin Gnome, SIDE, Cigarbque

1st Place Chicken

Smokin Turkey
05-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Lisa
Jumping Dog BBQ

Even though you only mentioned the other Brian, it was great meeting you and hearing your sad BBQ name story!

Sledneck
05-17-2009, 08:03 PM
New camera has way to many buttons and I accidentally touched one that turned the autfocus off so these pictures came out bad but its all I got of the crawfish boil sat night. , i think Clint my have some in his camera. Thanks for all that participated and contributed. None of us had ever done one and gnome and cigarbeque did a great job cooking them. Little piggys brought enough shrimp and scallops for this boil and enough for a second boil Thanks

2littlepiggys
05-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks to GLFC for a great time. It was so nice to see friends and meet new ones. Congrats to all who were called and great job to everyone. We had such a good time can't wait till next year. Way to to Lo-n-Slo :razz:

2littlepiggys
05-17-2009, 08:46 PM

Here's some of the mudbug boil...

SmokeInDaEye
05-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Those are awesome pictures (even sled's fuzzy ones! I just finished going through some of my video footage and realized I didn't get any video when it got dark and Cigarbque lite up the tents rock and roll style. It was like our own mini Memphis in May! I can't wait until next year and have just finished tweaking my brisket...

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-18-2009, 07:29 AM
being the first time I helped out another team,I must say Clint was very organized and flowed very well. It was alot of fun and a nice event. Congrats to all who walked...now were did I leave that golf cart?

Jacked UP BBQ
05-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Looks like a great time. Congrats to everyone who got a call and got drunk. Crawfish looked awesome even in sleds pics:). Lo.n.slo is on a hot streak....

BBQ_MAFIA
05-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Congrats to all who walked.

Smokin Turkey
05-18-2009, 12:11 PM
...now were did I leave that golf cart?

So that was you! I was getting heck from the drunk fireman who was looking for the guy who ran the batteries out while he ate crawfish! He still bought me another beer. Those guys were friggin awesome!

SmokeInDaEye
05-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Quote of the evening Friday night from some drunk WATG? sent our way: "Whadaya a bunch of homos sittin' around cutting up parsley???" (NTTAWWT)

Here's one of the many interesting things me and Sled saw when the GPS took us some backasswards way to the highway.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/SmokeInDaEye/IMG00034-20090516-1738-1.jpg

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-18-2009, 12:32 PM
So that was you! I was getting heck from the drunk fireman who was looking for the guy who ran the batteries out while he ate crawfish! He still bought me another beer. Those guys were friggin awesome!

I thought I brought it from home, an easy mistake any one could make!:roll:

widespread
05-18-2009, 12:55 PM
...now were did I leave that golf cart?

Right where the batteries finally died, remember?

Sledneck
05-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Quote of the evening Friday night from some drunk WATG? sent our way: "Whadaya a bunch of homos sittin' around cutting up parsley???" (NTTAWWT)

Here's one of the many interesting things me and Sled saw when the GPS took us some backasswards way to the highway.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/SmokeInDaEye/IMG00034-20090516-1738-1.jpg That was the guy that I very politely asked to leave the site:wink:

watg?
05-18-2009, 01:39 PM
That was the guy that I very politely asked to leave the site:wink:

THAT, was a classic!

Cigarbque
05-18-2009, 03:50 PM
THAT, was a classic!

Two hours later he was still weaving around telling everyone how good he could cook. It was a riot when he said we would never know he had been drinking if he didn't tell us.

j-dog
05-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Good seeing you two again! (and great seeing you here!:-P)

Great to really visit with you guys! Thanks for letting a poor, disenfranchised, site-less BBQ cook hang out at your site for a spell! :wink:

Lisa
Jumping Dog BBQ

j-dog
05-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Even though you only mentioned the other Brian, it was great meeting you and hearing your sad BBQ name story!

Didn't mean to leave you out, Brian! :icon_blush: It was great meeting you and we hope to catch at other events in the future! And sorry if Harold's sad, sad story depressed you beyond endurance. :wink:

Lisa
Jumping Dog BBQ

Smokin Turkey
05-19-2009, 06:31 AM
Steve, You wouldn't have known I was drunk had I not told you! Man I'm a good cook! lol... I just don't remember you asking me to leave. lol!

SmokeInDaEye
05-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Got the mini bacon explosion video up here (http://blog.smokeindaeye.com/2009/05/19/mini-bacon-explosion-the-movie.aspx)

watg?
05-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Got the mini bacon explosion video up here (http://blog.smokeindaeye.com/2009/05/19/mini-bacon-explosion-the-movie.aspx)

What is the release date for the 'what I did to my chicken in Green Lane' video?:shock:

SmokeInDaEye
05-19-2009, 01:53 PM
What is the release date for the 'what I did to my chicken in Green Lane' video?:shock:

As soon as I remember what I did.:lol: I do, however, have my brisket recipe.

Smokin Turkey
05-19-2009, 02:10 PM
As soon as I remember what I did.:lol: I do, however, have my brisket recipe.
Please PM me with any and all recipes! I am starting my own BBQ team as soon as I can find someone to do it with me!

Meet "Smoke Out The Butt!"