PDA

View Full Version : Very Rookie question.

ThePluckers
05-12-2009, 09:58 PM
I am doing my first competition in 10 days. We have been to several, but this will be our first as competing. Making lists and having practice runs for the last few months. We had our last practice run this past weekend, and a question came up. I use a propane torch to light my coals in a fire pit and then scoop them into my smoker. Is this ok? I know you can use propane to light the fire and can't use it after the meat is in the smoker, but can I use it in a seperate container then scoop them into the pit?

This is my first post here, but over the last few weeks I have learned a lot just by reading the posts on here. Things I thought I was proficient in, I was glad I read on here and found out I was not before the competition.

Haven't seen anyone on here going to this competition, but it is the Battle of the Pigs in Gray, Tn.

Thanks

watertowerbbq
05-12-2009, 10:10 PM
You can light your coals with anything you want outside the smoker. Some use chimeny starters, others weed burners and probably some with lighter fluid. As long as it's outside the smoker, you should be safe.

Welcome aboard. :-D Head on over to Cattle call to introduce yourself. Good luck at the comp.

oceanpigassassins
05-12-2009, 10:12 PM
should be fine just start it out

backporchbbq
05-13-2009, 12:26 AM
You can use it to start your coals. When we add coals we just throw it on, it will light after a few minutes. That is how we do it.

Just to CYA you can ask the Contest Reps when they come around and inspect your meat, they will have a solid/official answer for you.

ThePluckers
05-13-2009, 07:11 AM
We use a weed burner in a washtub. Thanks. I will make sure and ask the reps Fri. morning also.
There are about 40 teams so far. I am hoping for a top %50 finish. This is a learning thing, but to place higher would be great. I am just not counting on it.

Transformer BBQ
05-13-2009, 08:49 AM
what kind of charcoal or fuel are you using?... and what kind of cooker are we talkign about here...

What you are doing is perfectly legal... I just don't personally see the point of doing it.

musicmanryann
05-13-2009, 09:05 AM
what kind of charcoal or fuel are you using?... and what kind of cooker are we talkign about here...

What you are doing is perfectly legal... I just don't personally see the point of doing it.

That's what I was thinkin' as well. Could you please elaborate on what cooker/technique you are using? Maybe there is an easier way to do this, that the infinite combined wisdom of the Brethren could help with.

EarlyBird
05-13-2009, 09:05 AM
We use a weed burner in a washtub. Thanks. I will make sure and ask the reps Fri. morning also.
There are about 40 teams so far. I am hoping for a top %50 finish. This is a learning thing, but to place higher would be great. I am just not counting on it.

Welcome to our addiction. What you are doing will be fine. Make sure you have a timeline planned out. Allow some extra time around turn in time. LISTEN to the CD! Let the Reps know this is your first contest. Introduce your team to the other the teams and your neighbors. Let them know its your first time. Don't be affraid to ask questions. And, the most important thing, HAVE FUN! its BBQ. Your goal is the same as mine at our first contest, the top half.

GOOD LUCK, and let us know how ya did

YankeeBBQ
05-13-2009, 09:09 AM
I hope it's not a galvanized wash tub.

GridironGriller
05-13-2009, 09:33 AM

I was just about to mention the same thing.

scubapudgy
05-13-2009, 11:59 AM
I have found a propane tourch is the only way to go with heavy wind conditions.

Solidkick
05-13-2009, 12:18 PM
You are fine....I've even seen some use a weed burner to warm up their pit....as long as there is no meat in it, no problem.......now with that said, don't use a torch to finish your chicken skin.....that is illegal.

ThePluckers
05-15-2009, 09:24 PM

Nope, not galvanized. That would be pretty bad. Nothing like a little poisoning for my first competiton.

I use an offset somker. Many years ago it was a propane tank. I do use charcoal chimney also. I just like to use the weed burner probably due to the jet sound. At least that is what my wife tells me.

Thanks for the answers. I can't wait until next weekend. I have thought about this for four or five years and have finally worked up enough nerve to give it a try.

smoke-n-my-i's
05-16-2009, 06:13 PM
You must be talking about going to this one:

http://www.battleofthepigs.com/

I will be there with the Screamin Nite Hog BBQ team. come on by and say howdy.

Bill