PDA

View Full Version : 5 Meat KCBS contests

Desertdog
05-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Has anyone competed in the Dodge City Days BBQ Competition?

According to Merl Whitebook of KCBS, this is one of only three "grandfathered" contests in the nation that allow a 5 meat contest, in this case the fifth meat is Sirloin Roast.

If you have participated in this contest, how is this entry usually prepared? Like a brisket or like a tri tip (Well done or mid rare?)

Also, in the rules for the contest, the Butt and the sirloin must weigh 5 lbs precooked....what's that all about? I e-mailed the organizers, but have not yet recieved a response.

I know the Brethern have ALL the answers! :rolleyes:

Scottie
05-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I've never cooked the contest Dean, but the way they serve that cut in those Brazilian steak houses is from rare to well done.

Ford
05-12-2009, 07:52 PM
KCBS rule states that the Butt must weigh at least 5 lbs. That's at all contests. I'd assume it's the same for the Sirloin although it's an assumption as I've never cooked the contest.

Jeff Hughes
05-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Smokin' Okie did well in that category a couple of years ago. PM him and see if he can help...

Desertdog
05-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

SmokinOkie
05-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Smokin' Okie did well in that category a couple of years ago. PM him and see if he can help...

I would, but I'll be doing Dodge City this year :cool:

Butcher BBQ
05-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Russ, they have changed Wagoner OK dates to that same weekend.

SmokinOkie
05-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks.

Looks like we'll do Dodge, we have family there AND you're going to Wagoneer. :D

Desertdog
05-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks.

Looks like we'll do Dodge, we have family there AND you're going to Wagoneer. :D

If you are doing Dodge then it looks like my chances of getting any tips from you are slim to none! :rolleyes:

Still haven't made a final commitment on this one, but if we do make it up there, I'll stop by and say hi. Good luck!