PDA

View Full Version : I need some help

BBQNUTT
05-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I am cooking a small contest this Saturday that has open categories of beef and pork. So I am planning to cook some steaks for beef and baby backs for pork. Has anyone cooked a contest like this before? Is Ribeye steak my best choice for a anything beef category? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

musicmanryann
05-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Tomahawk cut 1.5'' thick....mmmmmmm.......

BBQ_Mayor
05-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Tri- tip.

RobKC
05-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Tri- tip.

I second the tri-tip.

Ron_L
05-12-2009, 01:20 PM
If you are going to do steak, Ribeye would be my choice. Don't forget the carry over cooking. The steak will continue to cook slightly between when you take it off of the grill and the time that the judges cut into it, so undercook it slightly.

The_Kapn
05-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Josh,
A couple of questions should shape your decision.

"Is there a regional favorite" ???
"What cuts are you the most proficient and comfortable with" ???

I know I love Prime Rib.
But, if I am not skilled at cooking it, I would be wasting my money.

Just pick something you are good at and have a great time!!!

Let us know how it went.

TIM

PS. With all of that said--a well cooked RibEye ROCKS!!!! :lol:

Smokin Mike
05-12-2009, 06:21 PM
I would do the tri too!, it does a great job of tasting great even cold! now on the pork, cant do bad with the baby backs, everyone loves them.

good luck buddy, please tell us what u came up with please.

Ford
05-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Here's the thing with steak. Some like it rare some can't stand rare so it makes it hard to cook just right for everybody. I do tri-tip rare as well so that has the same problem. Brisket takes forever so it's out. A marinated flank steak can be cooked slightly more well and if cut right still be good. So beef is a crap shoot but if I was doing it I'd cook beef tenderloin steaks or whole and cook medium - medium rare between 130 and 135 internal if smoking at lower temps and 125 - 130 if cooking voer 400.

Pork - ribs are good and you can get lots of sauce on them. But a nice stuffed pork loin can also be marinated and sauced and it's real good eats and a little more forgiving in cooking. Just don't cook above 150 internal. And you can make a great presentation is it's open garnish. Add grileld fruit or veggies to the entry if allowed.

smalls65
05-13-2009, 06:14 PM
I would do ribeye or Prime-Rib...But ribeye would be my first choice...1.5 inch with Texas BBQ rub steak sprinkle on it!!!!! mmmmmmmm good!!!!!

Ron (The SmokeHouse Bandits)

"I love animals....THEY TASTE GREAT!!!) :-)

getyourrubonbbq
05-13-2009, 07:15 PM
I'd say ribeye, if anyone is close by come check out the http://www.blossomfestival.org/cook-off.html this weekend in Magnolia, AR. this event is steak only. And I'm going to enjoy every bite of it...

BBQNUTT
05-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Should I slice the steak or present them whole? I was told there are going to be 3 judges, so I need 3 portions... Problem is I dont know if they will have knives...

ique
05-14-2009, 11:52 AM
I am cooking a small contest this Saturday that has open categories of beef and pork. So I am planning to cook some steaks for beef and baby backs for pork. Has anyone cooked a contest like this before? Is Ribeye steak my best choice for a anything beef category? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'd go with Beef short-ribs.

BBQNUTT
05-15-2009, 08:54 AM
I'd go with Beef short-ribs.

I've never cooked beef short ribs. What does it take to make them great? Cook time, temp?