PDA

View Full Version : Competition Pork

paydabill
05-11-2009, 08:07 AM
I going to admit to the group - PORK is killing me. 2 evetns two bombs! 15 out of 32 and 16 out of 35.

I need help - right now I am injecting with AJ, salt and sugar. Then cook until desired temp and cutting. Presentation my scores have done well. However, my taste and tenderness has bombed.

Any pointer will be gladly accepted! PM or whatever, I will buy you a beer or two at the next contest we are at.

Smokin Mike
05-11-2009, 08:12 AM
have you looked into butcher's bbq injection, or FAB products?

musicmanryann
05-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Are you using the Magic-Magnificent-Magnanimous-Money-Muscle? If you are shredding, does it have a lot of bark? Temp/Time/poundage of meat? When are you pulling it off? How long do you let it rest?

paydabill
05-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Ok here is the process -

2 8 pound Boston.

I inject with 2 cups apple juice, 2 tbls salt and sugar. I rub them and let them sit. At 10:00 I pull them out to let them get to room temp.

Put on smoker fat side up at 225. When the probe says 165, I foil them with brown sugar, little more rub, and apple juice. At 190 I pull the one I am going to slice with out, let out a little steam and put in the cooler to keep warm. The second one I cook to 200 and then put in the cooler to keep warm. They rest for at least 2 hours.

For turn in, I do the money muscle sliced, and shreaded. i sauce the top of the money muscle and and the shreaded pieces. All shreaded pieces have bark.

I do not use Fab or Butchers block.

All help is appreciated - I told my wife, I hope you like pulled pork becuase that is all you are getting this weekend.

Plowboy
05-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Can't see much wrong here. Try fat down and then flip when you wrap.

Jacked UP BBQ
05-11-2009, 09:45 AM
I just found out, sauce is boss!!!!

musicmanryann
05-11-2009, 09:50 AM
I have heard that judges don't really like too much apple juice in the pork, and if they taste it, they will score it down--although I have little experience either way. As OC mentioned, sauce is important what kind are you using?

How does it taste to you? How much/what kind of smoke are you using?

TN_BBQ
05-11-2009, 10:01 AM

I would tend to agree.

When your typical judge goes to a BBQ restaurant, what are they eating? I gotta believe that some parts of the country have folks eating dry Q, but most folks lather up the sauce (even in Memphis).

paydabill
05-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Well said

lazyjacres
05-11-2009, 10:26 AM
I"ll trade ya - Pork for Brisket :wink: Briskets doing me the same way.

crd26a
05-11-2009, 10:49 AM
What were you category averages for the pork? That info can help to see if its taste, apperance, or tenderness.

Jacked UP BBQ
05-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Reheat your pork like pasta in a basket!!!!!

big brother smoke
05-11-2009, 11:46 AM
I going to admit to the group - PORK is killing me. 2 evetns two bombs! 15 out of 32 and 16 out of 35.

I need help - right now I am injecting with AJ, salt and sugar. Then cook until desired temp and cutting. Presentation my scores have done well. However, my taste and tenderness has bombed.

Any pointer will be gladly accepted! PM or whatever, I will buy you a beer or two at the next contest we are at.

PM sent

Solidkick
05-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I can't help ya....I gotta play against ya.....:rolleyes:

your mixture may need some tweaking but like plowboy said, you're on the right track.

paydabill
05-11-2009, 12:41 PM
I can't compete versus a legend - oops - did i say that out loud? :icon_shy

I can't help ya....I gotta play against ya.....:rolleyes:

your mixture may need some tweaking but like plowboy said, you're on the right track.

TN_BBQ
05-11-2009, 02:11 PM
PM sent

Do share the secret.
Spread the wealth. I'll trade you a chicken tip. :-D

musicmanryann
05-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Do share the secret.

His comment said something completely different earlier, and it was edited, not sure why.:confused: Something about brining and then injecting the brine and not being afraid of Allspice. That is all I remember.

Jeff_in_KC
05-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Definitely leave off the apple juice when wrapping. Try butter instead.

musicmanryann
05-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Definitely leave off the apple juice when wrapping. Try butter instead.

mmmmmmm butter........I love butter......:-D

Jacked UP BBQ
05-11-2009, 03:21 PM
make it a gooey mess

paydabill
05-11-2009, 03:24 PM
I love these tips - I am thinking of doing some serious practice.

Thanks a bunch breathern.

DMDon
05-11-2009, 04:23 PM

Ray, Ray. Is that you?

eagle697
05-11-2009, 06:20 PM
By butter, do you guys mean real butter, or parkay (or similar)? If real butter, do you clarify it first to avoid the fat turing white if it cools some in the turn in box?

BBQ_Mayor
05-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Ray, Ray. Is that you?

If you mean me, then no. But I do agree, sauce is where its at.

Remember its a sauce contest. 8-)

musicmanryann
05-11-2009, 06:58 PM
By butter, do you guys mean real butter, or parkay (or similar)? If real butter, do you clarify it first to avoid the fat turing white if it cools some in the turn in box?

Has this happened to you before?? The only problem with clarifying the butter is you take away the buttery taste, but I can see what the issue would be.

musicmanryann
05-11-2009, 06:59 PM
:wink:If you me, then no. But I do agree, sauce is where its at.

Remember its a sauce contest. 8-)

Don't you mean Honey contest??:wink:

eagle697
05-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Has this happened to you before?? The only problem with clarifying the butter is you take away the buttery taste, but I can see what the issue would be.

Possibly. I put melted butter on pork once and liked the taste, but about 15 minutes after turn in i looked at the extra that was sitting in a pan and it had a glazed look from the butter. I am not sure if it was like that when judged or not. My appearance scores were a little lower that comp, but i was a little hurried when plating, so not too sure. Just wondering if others had noticed an issue.

big brother smoke
05-11-2009, 07:18 PM
His comment said something completely different earlier, and it was edited, not sure why.:confused: Something about brining and then injecting the brine and not being afraid of Allspice. That is all I remember.

Because what I use on pork is my rub that I sell and did want to destroy the spirit of the thread by having a sales pitch which my pm was not.

I use my rub and a brine and tend to do ok at comps. The rub is available here (http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=5)

big brother smoke
05-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Do share the secret.

I am all ears!:biggrin:

Jeff_in_KC
05-11-2009, 08:21 PM

I've used both with no problem although Squeeze Parkay is simplest to use.

DMDon
05-11-2009, 09:02 PM
OC, I got the 1st and 3rd, but the 2nd one has me stumped

Jacked UP BBQ
05-11-2009, 09:42 PM
OC, I got the 1st and 3rd, but the 2nd one has me stumped

Sauce is boss? IS that what you mean?

QDoc
05-11-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't know what you meant by "shredded" but if you are truely "shredding" pulled pork you may be allowing it to over dry unless of course you are adding so much sauce you are turning in sloppy joes. Most of the nice boxes I've seen have some nice slices about 1/2" thick and some "finger" size pieces of pulled , each with a nice portion of bark.

Jacked UP BBQ
05-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't remember writing shredded. I never shred.

DMDon
05-11-2009, 10:32 PM

Reheat your pork like pasta in a basket!!!!!

make it a gooey mess

Sauce is boss? IS that what you mean?

These are clues, right?

Jacked UP BBQ
05-12-2009, 07:54 AM
These are clues, right?

No I do not shred it, I didn't mean to hint towards that. I just was saying keep it wet and sauce it up.

eagle697
05-12-2009, 04:47 PM
ok, I may be missing something, but what is the pasta reheating comment? I am having a slow day.

Jacked UP BBQ
05-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Like they do in the restaurants, dip the pasta in the hot water and pull it out and drain well.

eagle697
05-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Like they do in the restaurants, dip the pasta in the hot water and pull it out and drain well.

Never thought about doing that. Does it wash the flavor off the meat? Seems like it would. Is it water, or a broth or juice of some type? add sauce to this liquid? Thanks for the tips.

oceanpigassassins
05-12-2009, 10:10 PM
It's all trial and error 15 out of 32 isn't that bad.Maybe some new sauce or rub

backporchbbq
05-13-2009, 12:24 AM

We use FAB and it really improved our pork. Good luck, hopefully your pork improves.

oceanpigassassins
05-13-2009, 09:57 AM
It takes time to figure out . Try different things and it will come

Bigdog
05-13-2009, 03:38 PM
I think you need more spice for your rub. I've used the Simply Mav. rub and it is very good. Not hot enough for me, but great blend for a comp. rub.

QDoc
05-14-2009, 08:38 AM
I don't remember writing shredded. I never shred.
my comment was to the original poster.

Ok here is the process -

2 8 pound Boston.

I inject with 2 cups apple juice, 2 tbls salt and sugar. I rub them and let them sit. At 10:00 I pull them out to let them get to room temp.

Put on smoker fat side up at 225. When the probe says 165, I foil them with brown sugar, little more rub, and apple juice. At 190 I pull the one I am going to slice with out, let out a little steam and put in the cooler to keep warm. The second one I cook to 200 and then put in the cooler to keep warm. They rest for at least 2 hours.

For turn in, I do the money muscle sliced, and shreaded. i sauce the top of the money muscle and and the shreaded pieces. All shreaded pieces have bark.

I do not use Fab or Butchers block.

All help is appreciated - I told my wife, I hope you like pulled pork becuase that is all you are getting this weekend.

CajunSmoker
05-14-2009, 05:31 PM
I never had any luck at all with pork. No matter what I injected with and rubbed with it just always was middle to just under middle of the pack. Last comp I let my wife be in charge of pork. She said she wanted it like I used to cook before I got involved in comps. I said "but I just rubbed it with Tony Chachere's creole seasoning and smoked it till it was falling apart". She said "OK, then do that":!: Finally got a call in pork:-D 11th out of 50 something.

Moral of the story is "maybe you need to go back to the basics":cool:

JD McGee
05-14-2009, 10:21 PM
"The Renowned Mr. Brown"...and doctored up "Sweet Baby Rays"...I usually finish top 5 every time! :-P

Jacked UP BBQ
05-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Comp teams, including myself do tend to over think everything.....