PDA

View Full Version : Competitions BBQ Sauce

Bossmanbbq
05-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Just wondering if your not using your own sauce, what BBQ Sauce out there is the best to use in comps? I have tried Blues Hog with mixed results as well as Head Country. Any other sauces out there that are worth using in competition BBQ?

smoke-n-my-i's
05-10-2009, 05:23 PM
There is a ton of them out there, and it is just a matter of opinion on what is good and what is not.

I have found, just my 2 cents here, that if you can get a local made one, and then try it straight first, then try a couple of modifications to it, you will get good results.

Try one, and then if you want try some fresh ground onion, a little garlic, etc... than if you really want to get adventursous try a couple of spices... depending on the meat you are cooking, be careful doing this mod... sometimes, a little will go a long way, or just the opposite, will clash with something in the original sauce.

It is all just trial and error....

Good luck.

Jeff Hughes
05-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Just wondering if your not using your own sauce, what BBQ Sauce out there is the best to use in comps? I have tried Blues Hog with mixed results as well as Head Country. Any other sauces out there that are worth using in competition BBQ?

Those are the big two around here...

Sa-Mokin' is doing well for some guys around here as well...

I tried Slabs sauce in Bixby on brisket and did okay, I'll use it again this weekend Claremore...

Sledneck
05-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Smokin Als

watertowerbbq
05-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Cookies Sweet Hickory

SmokinOkie
05-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Those are the big two around here...

Sa-Mokin' is doing well for some guys around here as well...

I tried Slabs sauce in Bixby on brisket and did okay, I'll use it again this weekend Claremore...

What kind of sauce for ribs? :icon_shy

Jacked UP BBQ
05-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Sweet baby rays mixed with franks hot sauce and a dash of A-1

Double D's BBQ
05-12-2009, 10:57 AM
In honor of Chris Lilly's new BBQ book coming out today, you might consider the Big Bob Gibson's line of sauces, although I 'd probably stay away from the white sauce for KCBS comps.

http://www.bigbobgibson.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=BBGB

Balls Casten
05-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Is this A-1 idea new? Up untill 4 or 5 weeks ago I'd never heard of it before. Maybe some drunks at the bar putting it on brisket ... but mixing it with BBQ sauce is new to me.

bbq ron
05-12-2009, 11:39 AM
super smokers, that's what i'm talking about

Jeff Hughes
05-12-2009, 11:51 AM
What kind of sauce for ribs? :icon_shy

Let's just say it was a new one for me, I'm gonna stick with it...

stlgreg
05-12-2009, 12:04 PM
super smokers, that's what i'm talking about
havent had much luck with their saucues on the KCBS. side.
One thing I have noticed is the sauces with sugar in them do better than those with HFCS in them. The supersmokers you buy has HFCS

Sledneck
05-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Is this A-1 idea new? Up untill 4 or 5 weeks ago I'd never heard of it before. Maybe some drunks at the bar putting it on brisket ... but mixing it with BBQ sauce is new to me.
Not new to me. I have been using steak sauce on brisket for a couple of years and with exception of Harpoon where I tanked Vinny it has been good to me:icon_blush:

BBQ_Mayor
05-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Russ and Franks Sassy is good on Pork
Jim Daddy's Hickory is good on Chicken.

We add some extra flavor to our sauces never use them straight out of the bottle.

RubMeTender
05-12-2009, 02:43 PM
It's more fun to make your own. We pulled a few recipes off the web, some spicy, some sweet. Figured out which of each we liked the best, mixed the two together and have been happy ever since. The perfect sweet and spicy sauce.

The_Kapn
05-12-2009, 06:00 PM
We have tried almost every sauce variation out there--with very mixed results.

We even used Blues Hog (which I consider the one of the best sauces in the world :lol:), but we did not impress the judges.

So, we have moved back to the major regional BBQ chain's commercial sauce and just tweak it a bit.
Walk--Walk--Walk :lol:

Works for us.

Being "creative" with the sauce was fun--getting "paid" is even more fun.

TIM

Smokin Mike
05-12-2009, 06:32 PM
love to hear what the pro's use, but I personally only use blues hog, red blues hog, and head country with mods on all of them.

I only did 2 contests, DQ'ed on brisket once, timing, and walked with 5th on ribs(out of 47, I think), so take that with grain of salt.

good luck, just stay way of kraft bbq, masterpiece, famous dave's(as I heard) should be good to go!

Kosmo's Q
05-12-2009, 09:55 PM
I been using the 0.89 cent Kraft. Man the chit is awesome:roll: Mix it with some ketchup and wow it is unstopable. :roll::roll:

oceanpigassassins
05-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Did you ever think maybe its not the sauce. Alot of peolple use the blues hog and head country and do well.

backporchbbq
05-13-2009, 12:36 AM
Sweet Baby Ray's modified to your liking.

Jeff Hughes
05-13-2009, 07:29 AM
Did you ever think maybe its not the sauce. Alot of peolple use the blues hog and head country and do well.

Bingo

WineMaster
05-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Pork is easy, Pork likes most whether sweet or tangy. Brisket is what i cant get right when it comes to sauce or glaze.

bbqstudent
07-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Sweet baby rays mixed with franks hot sauce and a dash of A-1

Is this a serious statement, or is it a joke?

SmokeInDaEye
07-28-2009, 09:27 AM
I need to try Head Country again. Have four bottles of it but the first time I tasted it, I thought it was Peter Lugers steak sauce. Does it have some horseradish in there?

Jacked UP BBQ
07-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Is this a serious statement, or is it a joke?

That is a joke. I say make a sweet tangy sauce or get some blues hog. I tried head country and it taste terrible imo, that doesn't mean anything though because a lot of great teams use it. I actually don't like blues hog either. I actually hate our comp BBQ beside our brisket. Why do I compete??? That's a whole other thread!!!!:lol:

swamprb
07-28-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm beginning to realize that the majority of judges around here don't cook BBQ and have little to no taste, and their idea of good Q is some Tony Roma heat n' serve ribs, or fine dining at Famous Daves. So, I imagine none of them would have any Blues Hog or Head Country in their fridge at home like the rest of us, so they get what they deserve...juiced up SBR or Famous Daves.

smokincracker
07-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Not new to me. I have been using steak sauce on brisket for a couple of years and with exception of Harpoon where I tanked Vinny it has been good to me:icon_blush:

Thats not a lie!!! I've seen it

smokincracker
07-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I need to try Head Country again. Have four bottles of it but the first time I tasted it, I thought it was Peter Lugers steak sauce. Does it have some horseradish in there?

Dude i'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks that. I've had some dicussions with some other cookers and all think it would make a good cocktail sauce.

Jeff_in_KC
07-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Sorry if this offends any Head Country fans but to me, that stuff is basically just catsup with some liquid smoke mixed in. Yuck!

For pork and ribs, we make the sauce. For chicken and brisket, Fat Bastard sauces are the BOMB!

Jacked UP BBQ
07-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Sorry if this offends any Head Country fans but to me, that stuff is basically just catsup with some liquid smoke mixed in. Yuck!

For pork and ribs, we make the sauce. For chicken and brisket, Fat Bastard sauces are the BOMB!

Ketchup is exactly my thought. We tasted it and realized we wasted five bucks.

smoke-n-my-i's
07-29-2009, 04:33 PM
It's more fun to make your own. We pulled a few recipes off the web, some spicy, some sweet. Figured out which of each we liked the best, mixed the two together and have been happy ever since. The perfect sweet and spicy sauce.

Sweet Baby Ray's modified to your liking.

This is funny... I bought some Sweet Baby Ray's the other week when it was on sale... I stocked up with like 10 bottles. I figured, for some at home, practice, and to just give away, I will use it.

Well, the other day, I did a bunch of chicken and used a bottle. When I tasted it, :eek: it tasted just like what I have been making for abt 2 yrs now....

So, back to the scratch pad to make a tweak or two so it isn't quite so commercially made tasting.

Dale P
07-30-2009, 06:20 AM
A lot of sauces taste like sweet ketchup to me. Add some liquid smoke and you have sweet smoky ketchup.

Podge
07-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Y'all think about sauce way too damn much. a Sh!tty piece of meat is still a Sh!tty piece of meat even with the best sauce on it.

Scottie
07-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Y'all think about sauce way too damn much. a Sh!tty piece of meat is still a Sh!tty piece of meat even with the best sauce on it.

shhhhhhhh..... Don't be giving away all trhe secrets!!!

Dale P
07-30-2009, 03:17 PM
I get it! If its overcooked, its best if you didnt do that. I get it now!
Thanks Podge. lol

Jacked UP BBQ
07-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Perfect cooked BBQ wins the hardware. Great Sauce justs gets you the bigger one.

Dale P
07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
I do know a team who has won first place in a category that didnt use any sauce on it and this happened more then once. So I dont totally buy that it is strickly a sauce contest.

CajunSmoker
07-30-2009, 04:47 PM

Tell that to TGI Fridays:biggrin:

http://www.tgifridays.com/menus/Menus.aspx

Podge
07-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Tell that to TGI Fridays:biggrin:

http://www.tgifridays.com/menus/Menus.aspx
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: