PDA

View Full Version : GAB Invitational

SmokeMeTender
05-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Who's doing the invitational at GAB?:-D

Jeff_in_KC
05-08-2009, 06:56 PM
We are (as Sloppy Creek). Wish there was a way to tell from the list of teams.

Sledneck
05-08-2009, 08:36 PM
I am doing the invitational

HoDeDo
05-09-2009, 09:22 PM
I'll be in my Plowboys gear for the invitational.

Oh Kay Cee's
05-09-2009, 11:12 PM
We will be in spot 414 (Oh Kay Cee's)

Plowboy
05-10-2009, 03:45 PM
I'll be in my Plowboys gear for the invitational.

If you need to find Andy during the invitational, look for "The Zone"... cause he'll be IN IT!!!

Pork Pullin Plowboys will be getting after it in spot 864!!!!!

HoDeDo
05-10-2009, 07:14 PM
If you need to find Andy during the invitational, look for "The Zone"... cause he'll be IN IT!!!

Pork Pullin Plowboys will be getting after it in spot 864!!!!!

Lead shoes to avoid hovering, while in the zone... CHECK!:twisted:
some Patron to continue hovering out of the zone... CHECK, CHECK!:twisted:

EarlyBird
05-10-2009, 07:40 PM
We are cooking the Invitational. We will be right next to Plowboy

Plowboy
05-10-2009, 09:26 PM
We are cooking the Invitational. We will be right next to Plowboy

Actually, you and I will be making a Smoke on Wheels sandwich. :rolleyes:

Sledneck
05-10-2009, 11:28 PM
I wanna be a plowboy baby!

YankeeBBQ
05-11-2009, 07:06 AM
I'm cooking the invitational. I don't know if I'll be in the Slabs of Approval site or the Slabs site

EarlyBird
05-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Actually, you and I will be making a Smoke on Wheels sandwich. :rolleyes:

So Andy get to be the MEAT!!!:shock:

Jeff_in_KC
05-11-2009, 08:25 AM

If Andy is the meat, I hope you all like turkey cuz he's pretty lean! :lol: Not saying he's a turkey but... :wink:

musicmanryann
05-11-2009, 08:42 AM
LMAO! KID ROCK!!!

Plowboy baby
With the top let back and the sunshine shining
Plowboy baby
West coast chilling with the Boone's Wine
I wanna be a Plowboy baby
Riding at night cause I sleep all day
Plowboy baby
I can smell a pig from a mile away

I wanna be a plowboy baby!

Plowboy
05-11-2009, 09:30 AM

Actually, Sledneck will be in the middle of the sammie on Friday-Saturday for the invitational. He's ALL turkey... but not very lean. He likes to refer to himself as a Big Boy.

EarlyBird
05-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Actually, Sledneck will be in the middle of the sammie on Friday-Saturday for the invitational. He's ALL turkey... but not very lean. He likes to refer to himself as a Big Boy.
Would that make it double meat? Kinda like a combo sammich!!

Never met ya Sled, look forward to the experience. Do you like Tequlia?:lol:

Plowboy
05-11-2009, 10:43 AM

Andy will be a Plowboy on Friday-Saturday. We then kick is ass out on Sunday for the Open.

I like Tequila!!!!

Diva
05-11-2009, 10:49 AM
I like tequila!

Sledneck
05-11-2009, 11:41 AM

Hmmmm interesting question. I don't tequila fri night when competing but will love it Saturday night when I am just hanging out. :biggrin:

EarlyBird
05-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Andy will be a Plowboy on Friday-Saturday. We then kick is ass out on Sunday for the Open.

I like Tequila!!!!

I like tequila!

Hmmmm interesting question. I don't tequila fri night when competing but will love it Saturday night when I am just hanging out. :biggrin:

And I'm sure I will share some with ALL of you!!

Arlin_MacRae
05-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Can't wait to meet some more Brethren!

We're going to stay at Cottonwood Campground and spend most of Saturday wandering around making nuisances of ourselves - probably after turn-in time. ;)

Arlin

Jorge
05-11-2009, 04:21 PM

We're going to stay at Cottonwood Campground and spend most of Saturday wandering around making nuisances of ourselves - probably after turn-in time. ;)

Arlin

Go see HoDeDo. I suspect he still has some decent stuff left from Little Rock, maybe.....:wink:

HoDeDo
05-11-2009, 10:18 PM
We're going to stay at Cottonwood Campground and spend most of Saturday wandering around making nuisances of ourselves - probably after turn-in time. ;) Arlin

Arlin - you know you are welcome in our spot!!! Sounds like I need to add some scotch to the list of bottles in the freezer. :twisted: Great to year you are coming up... who else is in the "we"??

Go see HoDeDo. I suspect he still has some decent stuff left from Little Rock, maybe.....:wink:

Been holding onto a certain Gentleman since Little Rock just for this weekend. :wink: I have to say the Tito's has taken a hit over the last several contests; bloody marys, screwdrivers, and icy cold shots...:icon_devil

Also emptied the Templeton too... so I will be working on fresh bottle for GAB as well...

EarlyBird
05-12-2009, 08:20 AM
GAB invitational list as of 5/11
http://www.thinkbbq.com/uploads/docs/Invitational%20by%20Name.pdf

KC_Bobby
05-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Not sure how that list was compiled - but it's missing at least one team that's going to be there and qualified for the invitational.

Sledneck
05-12-2009, 09:18 AM
GAB invitational list as of 5/11
http://www.thinkbbq.com/uploads/docs/Invitational%20by%20Name.pdf (http://www.thinkbbq.com/uploads/docs/Invitational%20by%20Name.pdf) Wow really sucks that I have plane tickets and a site all ready to cook the invitational and I am not on the list:confused: When the invitations were sent out i remember when SmokeInDaEye received his. I was thinking at the time I would receive my shortly after but a few weeks went by and I didn't. I contacted the GAB and they told me I wasnt on "the list" and that KCBS had not given them any info. I gave thee GAB all of my info as well as my GC win etc. They put an application in the mail. I filled it out and sent it back a few weeks ago and made all of my arrangements to travel and cook. This got me thinking. Why didnt I recieve it? Would this happen with the Jack and the Royal? I contacted KCBS and they told me since I was not a current member that they would not forward my info to the invatationals.:confused: Thats Bull s**t! Regardless I got muscled to renew , oops excuse me, I decided to renew my membership so I wouldnt have to go through the same BS with the Jack and the Royal. SO here I sit and I come to find out that apparantly the GAB never recieved my application so my issue is still not resolved. Sigh.......

KC_Bobby
05-12-2009, 09:20 AM
make that two teams

Diva
05-12-2009, 09:28 AM
I contacted KCBS and they told me since I was not a current member that they would not forward my info to the invatationals.:confused: Thats Bull s**t!

You have GOT to be kidding me. You cooked a KCBS sanctioned event. KCBS has an obligation to the organizers of said sanctioned events to report who won their event if it turns out to be a qualifier.

There were times that I had to call the organizer to get the winners information from them if the winner wasn't a member.

I call bullsh!t

KC_Bobby
05-12-2009, 09:31 AM
I wonder if Woodfellas is in the same boat. I have no idea if he's a member or not.

YankeeBBQ
05-12-2009, 09:56 AM
This got me thinking. Why didnt I recieve it? Would this happen with the Jack and the Royal? I contacted KCBS and they told me since I was not a current member that they would not forward my info to the invatationals.:confused: Thats Bull s**t!

Wow now that's messed up ! The contest paid for sanctioning KCBS owes it to the contest to report the results to The Jack/Royal/Gab. That blows my mind. :mad:

Scottie
05-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Maybe we can take up a collection for Sled? :icon_shy

Please no offense to anyone. but is the Invitational about half the size it used to be?

YankeeBBQ
05-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Please no offense to anyone. but is the Invitational about half the size it used to be?

KCBS probably only reported half the teams that qualified.

Paola Greg
05-12-2009, 10:44 AM
From the team lists currently on their site it looks like this;

06 ---Invite 43 Open 181
07 ---Invite 52 Open 206
08 ---Invite 61 Open 225
09 ---Invite 37 Open 141

Scottie
05-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks Greg. I guess it wasn't quite half in size, but significantly smaller. I guess if I was the Royal, they should be watching very very closely....

Arlin_MacRae
05-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Arlin - you know you are welcome in our spot!!! Sounds like I need to add some scotch to the list of bottles in the freezer. :twisted: Great to year you are coming up... who else is in the "we"??

Thanks, Andy! I'm sure we'll have a great time over there with you and Kim. Can I take you some more cigars? :twisted: I'll take some scotch, of course, and a cooler of beer too. Can't show up empty-handed now...
"We" is my Q'in, shootin', cigar-smokin' lady - Jean. Hell, you'll like her so much you'll forget about me! :biggrin: Oh, and she's a bourbon girl so we'll take some Jack Single Barrel up - at least.

Been holding onto a certain Gentleman since Little Rock just for this weekend. :wink: I have to say the Tito's has taken a hit over the last several contests; bloody marys, screwdrivers, and icy cold shots...:icon_devil

Also emptied the Templeton too... so I will be working on fresh bottle for GAB as well...

I managed to get a bottle of that here, finally. That is GREAT chit!

Sledneck
05-12-2009, 11:43 AM
You have GOT to be kidding me. You cooked a KCBS sanctioned event. KCBS has an obligation to the organizers of said sanctioned events to report who won their event if it turns out to be a qualifier.

There were times that I had to call the organizer to get the winners information from them if the winner wasn't a member.

I call bullsh!t
Heres the deal . When i questioned this practice the answer I received was that you dont have to be a member but when the invitationals contact them they look at the membership list to pull the info. If the membership is not current your name and contact info will not show up. I guess that call that you made to the organizers is not happening since you left. So basically they are not withholding the info but a non memeber does not exist casue they are not "in the system" :rolleyes:

DMDon
05-12-2009, 11:47 AM

It's becoming really hard to find. With the company expanding into the Illinois market and the 5 year turn around for new product, the supply is very limited. I called no less than 8 retailers in Des Moines, before I found one with a couple of bottles and he had the price pretty inflated. I paid almost $40/each. Originally it was under $30 at Sams. I found a couple over on the east side by the fairgrounds, I guess the demand is lower there. I was told that the state is limiting retailers to 1 case per month(6 bottles) So the moral is, if you like it and can find it, buy as much as you can.

Diva
05-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Heres the deal . When i questioned this practice the answer I received was that you dont have to be a member but when the invitationals contact them they look at the membership list to pull the info. If the membership is not current your name and contact info will not show up. I guess that call that you made to the organizers is not happening since you left. So basically they are not withholding the info but a non memeber does not exist casue they are not "in the system" :rolleyes:

I still call bullsh!t.

If anyone has been a member within the last 3-5 years (the conversion was made 3-4 years ago) then all they have to do is uncheck active. All the information is still there.

Solidkick
05-12-2009, 12:22 PM
From the team lists currently on their site it looks like this;

06 ---Invite 43 Open 181
07 ---Invite 52 Open 206
08 ---Invite 61 Open 225
09 ---Invite 37 Open 141
We had an invite, but due to high school graduation of a team member's son, we declined...similar type situations and costs may be effecting other teams as well.

Teresa and I may try to drive up Saturday afternoon to see Sled and kick him in the...........................foot. :twisted:
Will bring a fire extinguisher for Jeffie as well..........:eek::eek:

Sledneck
05-12-2009, 12:26 PM
I still call bullsh!t.

If anyone has been a member within the last 3-5 years (the conversion was made 3-4 years ago) then all they have to do is uncheck active. All the information is still there.
Very true but what about folks that have never been members? Seems a bit flawed.

Sledneck
05-12-2009, 12:28 PM
We had an invite, but due to high school graduation of a team member's son, we declined...similar type situations and costs may be effecting other teams as well.

Teresa and I may try to drive up Saturday afternoon to see Sled and kick him in the...........................foot. :twisted:
Get in line:tongue:

KC_Bobby
05-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Seems to me that KCBS should have a list of all winners (team name, head cook name and contact info) from all sanctioned events. Knowing that a handful of competitions require this information for invitationals,I assume KCBS has the rep turns in the winning teams contact information regardless if they are a member or not? (The organizer should have all the info from the registration sheet) As I understand it, one of the benefits of being santioned is that these comps are qualifiers for these invitiationals (assuming it fits the criteria). The santioning body should make sure all the data is available to those organizers that need it.

(A KCBS data entered simple spreadsheet would be a very easy way to manage this if no other system is in place)

I know of 3 teams who have had to work on getting their invitational information themselves for this comp - why were they left off the list? Did KCBS not provide the GAB a list of of the previous year's winners? Did the list contain only have the teams names without including head cook name and address information for all competition winners? (Thinking they could go back and match the winner against member number to get address info - even though team names may not match up to a membership number?)

HoDeDo
05-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Honestly, if the organizer is advertising his event as a qualifier... and it meets the team minimum and/or is a state qualifer... it doesnt matter if KCBS has sanctioned it or not. The organizer can send the info directly to the invitational events.

And I would always double check my self and make sure they have it... with the proliferation of teams and contests... probably doesn't hurt for the organizer to do that directly, unless the KCBS sanctioning agreement specifically states they will do it as part of their "package". If that is the case, then I'd call BS with Steph. :) Having said that... there were alot of years that the HoDeDos had a membership, via our treasurer... but not via head cook... so that wouldn't have cross referenced either. Even a current member would have been in trouble at that point... so even using the "current member" idea, is a little flawed on teams with lots of folks by only one of them a member.... potentially.

HoDeDo
05-12-2009, 01:48 PM

The ratio of teams looks about like 2006... so the invitational is about the right size based on the open teams coming... We hope to see ya Kick... well at least we hope to see Sweet T, but you get that alot huh :rolleyes:

Thanks, Andy! I'm sure we'll have a great time over there with you and Kim. Can I take you some more cigars? :twisted: I'll take some scotch, of course, and a cooler of beer too. Can't show up empty-handed now...
"We" is my Q'in, shootin', cigar-smokin' lady - Jean. Hell, you'll like her so much you'll forget about me! :biggrin: Oh, and she's a bourbon girl so we'll take some Jack Single Barrel up - at least. I managed to get a bottle of that here, finally. That is GREAT chit!

From what Bobby/Don are saying it may be harder to get my Templeton now than I thought. Hopefully some of my Iowegian hook ups will still be able to come through for me.:icon_bugeyed

You know you dont have to twist my arm with your cigar choices.:cool:

I'll have some fun stuff in the freezer, but we will make room for anything you want to stash too. Can't wait to meet Jean.... ya know, Kim is a Jean too...

Arlin_MacRae
05-12-2009, 01:57 PM
From what Bobby/Don are saying it may be harder to get my Templeton now than I thought. Hopefully some of my Iowegian hook ups will still be able to come through for me.:icon_bugeyed
I'll take my Templeton bottle up then. I got it from Internet Wines & Spirits (http://www.internetwines.com/rws37019.html (http://www.internetwines.com/rws37019.html)) for $43, FYI.

You know you dont have to twist my arm with your cigar choices.:cool:
Right! :rolleyes:

I'll have some fun stuff in the freezer, but we will make room for anything you want to stash too. Can't wait to meet Jean.... ya know, Kim is a Jean too...
Sounds good. Yes she is. Quite the keeper!

KC_Bobby
05-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Whoever can make sure and confirm that Woodfellas is in the Invitational ... might get a bottle of the rye. Assuming Lou's good with that.

HoDeDo
05-12-2009, 09:52 PM

I mean literally.... Kimberly Jean is her name :rolleyes: But yes, definitely a keeper. sounds like yours is too. Mine being a red head, I'm glad she doesnt shoot :shock:

(love you dear!!!)8-)

Plowboy
05-12-2009, 10:09 PM
I'll take my Templeton bottle up then. I got it from Internet Wines & Spirits (http://www.internetwines.com/rws37019.html (http://www.internetwines.com/rws37019.html)) for $43, FYI.

Right! :rolleyes:

Ummmm... Randy and I smoke cigars, too. :wink:

KC_Bobby
05-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Woodfella's is good to host a shot at some point that weekend. Let us know what day/time works best.

Compliments of Templeton Rye!

(we're confirmed for the Invitational now)

Sledneck
05-13-2009, 06:58 AM
(we're confirmed for the Invitational now)So am I, I hope .....:icon_smil

Plowboy
05-13-2009, 07:07 AM
Woodfella's is good to host a shot at some point that weekend. Let us know what day/time works best.

Compliments of Templeton Rye!

(we're confirmed for the Invitational now)

Okay, I'm going to bulldoze this one and call Smoke on Wheels for the Saturday shot and Woodfellas for the Sunday shot.

KC_Bobby
05-13-2009, 08:32 AM
I think the teams that had to jump through hoops should get a bonus shot.

Arlin_MacRae
05-13-2009, 08:32 AM
I mean literally.... Kimberly Jean is her name :rolleyes: But yes, definitely a keeper. sounds like yours is too. Mine being a red head, I'm glad she doesnt shoot :shock:

(love you dear!!!)8-)

LMAO I hear ya!

Ummmm... Randy and I smoke cigars, too. :wink:

Was that a not-so-subtle hint, Todd? ;) I'll bring my 30+ stick traveldor!

paydabill
05-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Wow a 30+ traveldor - I am jealous. I only have a 6, real small one. It will be stocked for Friday night.

The only problem is my son thinks I am goign to die by smoking a cigar, and my partner quit smoking for 3 weeks.

At least the liquor can still flow.

Jeff_in_KC
05-13-2009, 09:02 AM
I guess I missed all the "excitement" here with teams not being "on the list" for the invitational. You might recall that happened to me a couple of months back... I didn't get an invitation after Warrensburg. I was told by the GAB that they checked with KCBS and they did not have an address for me because I wasn't a member. I checked with KCBS and because we were cooking as Sloppy Creek BBQ for Warrensburg when we won, our team was not on the list and apparently KCBS didn't put two and two together with our names. I got it straightened out and got the invite but what you all are now saying makes more sense for what I had to do to get "on the list". Buncha lazy farkers! I want Steph to get her job back and run the whole damned thing!

Anyone up for a poker game Thursday evening?

P.S. I'll take part in the Templeton and cigar fun too!

Arlin_MacRae
05-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Wow a 30+ traveldor - I am jealous. I only have a 6, real small one. It will be stocked for Friday night.

The only problem is my son thinks I am goign to die by smoking a cigar, and my partner quit smoking for 3 weeks.

At least the liquor can still flow.

Hmm, maybe you should tell your son about George Burns or any of the other long-lived cigar smokers. Tell him you're just like our ex-prez and you don't inhale, either! :)

Diva
05-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Buncha lazy farkers! I want Steph to get her job back and run the whole damned thing!

Steph left the job, she doesn't want it back.

KC_Bobby
05-13-2009, 09:37 AM
I guess I missed all the "excitement" here with teams not being "on the list" for the invitational. You might recall that happened to me a couple of months back... I didn't get an invitation after Warrensburg. I was told by the GAB that they checked with KCBS and they did not have an address for me because I wasn't a member. I checked with KCBS and because we were cooking as Sloppy Creek BBQ for Warrensburg when we won, our team was not on the list and apparently KCBS didn't put two and two together with our names. I got it straightened out and got the invite but what you all are now saying makes more sense for what I had to do to get "on the list". Buncha lazy farkers! I want Steph to get her job back and run the whole damned thing!

Anyone up for a poker game Thursday evening?

P.S. I'll take part in the Templeton and cigar fun too!

Your situation helped me piece together where Woodfella's invite got bounced. I don't think KCBS had any info on them as Lou's not a member (I think he's going to join now). And you are right about Steph. Last year she posted on the Forum asking if anyone knew Woodfella so she could send the correct info to the Royal for their invite.

I think it's just an easy slight change needed on the paperwork the reps turn in to HQ. Instead of just listing the winning team, list the head cooks name and contact info and the problem should be solved - assuming it's correct and legible. Or, if the winner is a member - a member number should do.

I'm coming out Thursday night to drop off the trailer - but I think I'm going to working part of the day on Friday - so no poker for me.

Coz
05-13-2009, 08:10 PM
We had the missed invitation deal last year for the Royal and Jack draw.I made a bunch of calls and nobody knew why etc.The new girls at KCBS were giving me a hard time for calling them to ask about it.(Steph was retired already).When I was posting around the different sites Scottie or Alex figured out that the comp we won either didnt have the proclamation or didnt turn it in.We got in for the Royal and Jack draw at the last minute.Never thought about this contest.It appears to me that there is so many little things that can get missed in the Invitational process that a person needs to check on it to make sure your in well before the deadlines.Part of the learning process I guess.

HoDeDo
05-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Okay, I'm going to bulldoze this one and call Smoke on Wheels for the Saturday shot and Woodfellas for the Sunday shot.

Smoke on wheels isn't cooking Sat. - so that is why I was leaning towards Sunday! I need a Good luck shot for the good luck.:rolleyes: sounds like Wood Fellas is in the Invitational so a Sat. shot would work.... or we can do a 9:47 and 10:33 shot on Sun. morning :twisted:

KC_Bobby
05-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Andy - either day is just as good as the other in camp WoodFella

The better question might be how many people to expect so we know if we have enough bottles or not.

Plowboy
05-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Smoke on wheels isn't cooking Sat. - so that is why I was leaning towards Sunday! I need a Good luck shot for the good luck.:rolleyes: sounds like Wood Fellas is in the Invitational so a Sat. shot would work.... or we can do a 9:47 and 10:33 shot on Sun. morning :twisted:

Um... you'll be right next door.

Sledneck
05-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Um... you'll be right next door.
Maybe he is scared of his tenant that day:rolleyes:

Diva
05-14-2009, 05:56 AM

My mother would be proud.

Plowboy
05-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Andy - either day is just as good as the other in camp WoodFella

The better question might be how many people to expect so we know if we have enough bottles or not.

I'll donate a bottle to the cause. Tell me what flavor you boys are serving.

KC_Bobby
05-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Western Iowa Rye

If you have a bottle on hand, great. Not sure if we'll need it or not.