PDA

View Full Version : GAB space assignments are posted

EarlyBird
05-08-2009, 09:57 AM
They posted the space assignments today.
http://www.thinkbbq.com/uploads/docs/Space%20Assignments%20by%20Team%20Name.pdf
Early Bird BBQ is in sapce # 856. Stop by and say hello.

Chris

KC_Bobby
05-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Early Bird posted the worm!

Balls Casten
05-08-2009, 11:13 AM
400 here ... looks like we're going to need a healthy runner.

Diva
05-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Hey Birdie! We'll have to call that area the 'GAB Corner of Love'! Slabs, Jr. Slabs, I Smell Smoke, Bird Nest, Chateau Groneman and Plowboys pad....it's gonna be a party!

Jorge
05-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey Birdie! We'll have to call that area the 'GAB Corner of Love'! Slabs, Jr. Slabs, I Smell Smoke, Bird Nest, Chateau Groneman and Plowboys pad....it's gonna be a party!

I have to admit, I'm kind of pulling for Jr. Slabs to put a hurtin' on ya'll:wink:

EarlyBird
05-08-2009, 11:28 AM

Works for Me. Should be a GREAT weekend. We need someone to do an anti-rain dance. Any takers???

We now have a blog, check us out at http://earlybirdbbq.blogspot.com/

EarlyBird
05-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Early Bird posted the worm!
Mrs. EarlyBird found out first and she called me. She doesn't post so I did. So SHE get the worm :shock: LUCKY GIRL !!!

KC_Bobby
05-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm in 231 with Woodfellas (Ankeny IA). Neighbors with Pork Me Purple, Ribs 4U and hang on Sloppy Creek. Burnt Finger is right there too.

Sledneck
05-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Works for Me. Should be a GREAT weekend. We need someone to do an anti-rain dance. Any takers???

We now have a blog, check us out at http://earlybirdbbq.blogspot.com/
Pffft rain. Its a bit early but I am going to say partly cloudy 68, place ya bets

KC_Bobby
05-08-2009, 02:32 PM

I doubt I can pull off two in a month. I'll be there for moral support if someone else feels lucky.

Diva
05-08-2009, 03:10 PM
You can doooooo it! You look damn good doing it!

Yakfishingfool
05-08-2009, 03:46 PM
I'd like to put 25 on sled being wrong.

KC_Bobby
05-08-2009, 03:51 PM
You can doooooo it! You look damn good doing it!

Do you even have a spot out there? I don't see you on the list ... but I see B-rent.

Jeff_in_KC
05-08-2009, 06:55 PM

We'd love to participate but despite our request for the south end, we got stuck out in BFE...

Diva
05-09-2009, 01:17 AM
We're the last one in the row next to B-rent, across from Birdie.

Jeff_in_KC
05-09-2009, 08:48 AM
We're the last one in the row next to B-rent, across from Birdie.

Do you have a different map?? I don't see Brent's assigned space number on the map either.

BurntFinger_Jason
05-09-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm in 231 with Woodfellas (Ankeny IA). Neighbors with Pork Me Purple, Ribs 4U and hang on Sloppy Creek. Burnt Finger is right there too.

Our assignment is 332, but I requested a "2" sized space. I'm assuming 334 will also be ours because I'm not finding anyone assigned to that one. Things are shaping up to be a really good weekend!!!

smknwhlswife
05-09-2009, 01:00 PM
There is a new map, just not out on the site yet.

Jeff_in_KC
05-09-2009, 05:28 PM
There is a new map, just not out on the site yet.

Sure would be nice if they'd share it with EVERYONE and not a select few.

crd26a
05-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Got space 810, close to judges, assuming the map on the site doesn't change.

thenewguy
05-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Why in the world do they put the judging area in a corner of the place-and NOt in a central location?
I'm really starting to wonder if this is strickly a "good ole boy" network-jeez!

Neal
05-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Why in the world do they put the judging area in a corner of the place-and NOt in a central location?
I'm really starting to wonder if this is strickly a "good ole boy" network-jeez!

You'll see why when you get there. They are using an existing shelter for judging. I guess they didn't think about where they could put a good building to judge BBQ in when they built the place 25 years ago...Those Bastards!

Jeff_in_KC
05-10-2009, 12:12 AM
You'll see why when you get there. They are using an existing shelter for judging. I guess they didn't think about where they could put a good building to judge BBQ in when they built the place 25 years ago...Those Bastards!

Neal, I have heard stories both ways but I haven't been there - is the parking lot fairly level or are we cooking on a slop?

KC_Bobby
05-10-2009, 03:25 AM
It's been awhile since I've been out there, but I seem to remember the lot gradually slopes down from east to west.

Jaberwabee
05-10-2009, 03:54 AM
I will double Sleds bet and say that a Tornado Watch is issued during the Thursday evening through Sunday Morning time frame for western Wyandotte County. Now the funny thing is all of the KC locals, will laugh and say "watch", but to non locals a Tornado Watch is a big deal...... For us it is a normal Tuesday afternoon.

crd26a
05-10-2009, 08:52 AM
I will double Sleds bet and say that a Tornado Watch is issued during the Thursday evening through Sunday Morning time frame for western Wyandotte County. Now the funny thing is all of the KC locals, will laugh and say "watch", but to non locals a Tornado Watch is a big deal...... For us it is a normal Tuesday afternoon.

So true, but the easy up missles flying around in a medium Kansas wind could make for some entertainment

BurntFinger_Jason
05-10-2009, 12:37 PM
It's been awhile since I've been out there, but I seem to remember the lot gradually slopes down from east to west.

You are correct sir. The whole lot slopes down towards the amphitheater.

The judging areas will make sense once you get out there. They have shelters setup around the amphitheater for private parties and "VIP areas" when they hold concerts.

Plowboy
05-10-2009, 02:33 PM
No...

Twin Oaks
Pellet Envy
Lotta Bull
Twin Oaks
Butchers BBQ
4 Legs Up
KC Can Crew
Smokin Triggers
Quau
Smokey D's (Shad will be there as Boy and his BBQ)
Ulcer Acres
Cancer Sucks

Where are all the big boys??? I know there is a Nascar event that weekend, but that doesn't account for all of these names.

Diva
05-10-2009, 04:21 PM
My best guess.....

Twin Oaks---Nascar deal
Pellet Envy---Nascar deal
Lotta Bull---Nascar deal
Butchers BBQ??
4 Legs Up??
KC Can Crew??
Smokin Triggers---Nascar Deal
Quau---Westmont IL
Smokey D's---Westmont IL
Ulcer Acres---Westmont IL
Cancer Sucks---Westmont IL

HoDeDo
05-10-2009, 07:06 PM
So true, but the easy up missles flying around in a medium Kansas wind could make for some entertainment

Two words for ya: Tapcons Rule. :twisted:

HoDeDo
05-10-2009, 07:08 PM
No...

Twin Oaks
Pellet Envy
Lotta Bull
Twin Oaks
Butchers BBQ
4 Legs Up
KC Can Crew
Smokin Triggers
Quau
Ulcer Acres
Cancer Sucks

Where are all the big boys??? I know there is a Nascar event that weekend, but that doesn't account for all of these names.

Can Crew is on a vacation that weekend. At least that is what I remember from the conversation at P. Hill....

KC_Bobby
05-10-2009, 07:36 PM
I only counted about 145 teams on the list. Do they still have teams signing up?

Jeff_in_KC
05-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Yep, Jeff told me last week they're going on a trip Memorial Day weekend. I also noticed many of the big names won't be there. Bob, I imagine the field is set pretty much as the deadline was April 17. If they're short teams, they'll probably waive the deadline. Doesn't break MY heart seeing a little smaller contest than they usually have.

Plowboy
05-10-2009, 09:32 PM
I forgot to mention Great Grills.

Plowboy
05-10-2009, 09:34 PM

We use 3" deck screws.

Sledneck
05-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Where are all the big boys??? I know there is a Nascar event that weekend, but that doesn't account for all of these names.What you saying? I am a big boy and I am coming :tongue:

crd26a
05-11-2009, 02:38 AM

LOL, yeah, thats just what they'd want us to do

RobKC
05-11-2009, 07:31 AM
I only counted about 145 teams on the list. Do they still have teams signing up?

Banner ad on another site says there's still time to enter.

Plowboy
05-11-2009, 09:31 AM
What you saying? I am a big boy and I am coming :tongue:

And we are all scared, Sled. :wink: You will OWN 13th chicken.

Sledneck
05-11-2009, 11:44 AM
And we are all scared, Sled. :wink: You will OWN 13th chicken.
I was not referring to my status as a cook but rather my size in general especially that I have sitting at home for the last 6 weeks:icon_blush:

paydabill
05-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Should be fun - found us at 765 just a couple of stumbles from the party corner of slabs and plow boys!

Who is doing the shot?

Plowboy
05-11-2009, 03:58 PM
I think Sledneck should host the shot. He's got nothing better to do on Sunday morning.

Coz
05-11-2009, 04:15 PM

I have had my best finish in tornado type conditions.Wish we were coming down for this.

Scottie
05-11-2009, 04:37 PM
No...

Twin Oaks
Pellet Envy
Lotta Bull
Twin Oaks
Butchers BBQ
4 Legs Up
KC Can Crew
Smokin Triggers
Quau
Ulcer Acres
Cancer Sucks

A few on that list will be going to Westmont...

Sledneck
05-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I think Sledneck should host the shot. He's got nothing better to do on Sunday morning.
Sure no problem. Gotta be early Sunday morning though , I have to be at the airport at 7:30 AM to catch my flight home:biggrin:

HoDeDo
05-11-2009, 09:49 PM

I will be hosting a shot one of the mornings... I'm thinking Sunday morning.

Sure no problem. Gotta be early Sunday morning though , I have to be at the airport at 7:30 AM to catch my flight home:biggrin:

KC_Bobby
05-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Do shots have to be Jack? I mean, I get the connection ... but will shots of say ... a rye do?

HoDeDo
05-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I have hosted shots of templeton, crown reserve, cabo, Jamison, you name it.... you do whatever you gotta do Bob!!!

The traditional morning good luck shot is Gentlemen Jack.... unless you are at the Jack with Muzzlebrake... then the good luck shot is a whiskey that is finally old enough to drink: Bushmills 21yr old Malt.

After some breakfast shots of double expresso vodka.:shock:

KC_Bobby
05-11-2009, 10:43 PM
I might know of a team with a few bottles of Templeton down there.

Jeff_in_KC
05-12-2009, 12:21 AM
I might know of a team with a few bottles of Templeton down there.

I might know of a team that could use a back-up bottle without the shipping charges from Chicago! :wink:

KC_Bobby
05-12-2009, 08:13 AM
I might make a call to someone I might know.

EarlyBird
05-12-2009, 08:18 AM
New map, team list and invitational list on website.
http://www.thinkbbq.com/index.php?page=teaminfo

paydabill
05-12-2009, 08:29 AM
In your guy's honest opinion is the GAB losing people left and right. I remember last year's invitational it was a who's who.

So for shot on Sunday - it is Andy?

I will nto be able to do the Saturday becuase it is during the kids q - "hold on son I got get a shot real quick!" However, I am sure Brian will wander by at that time.

KC_Bobby
05-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Seems that the GAB is either dropping the ball or having a difficult time with this. I believe the invitational list is missing some team names - at least it's missing the team that I'm joining for the weekend.

EarlyBird
05-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Seems that the GAB is either dropping the ball or having a difficult time with this. I believe the invitational list is missing some team names - at least it's missing the team that I'm joining for the weekend.

Alot of the "BIG" names are doing the Prilosec NASCAR event in Charlotte the weekend of the GAB.

There are several other contests that weekend that are pulling teams away. (Westmont, IL, Wagoner, OK, Rochester, NY Boulder City, NV, Young Harris, GA, Johnson City, TN) With the economy that way it is some teams can't cook and those that can want to cook closer to home if possible.

Have the missing team contact the GAB to see why they are not on the list and have them fix it.

KC_Bobby
05-12-2009, 09:27 AM
We were under the impression that had already been solved back in March. Sounds like Sledneck has the same issue. Maybe Jeff has some insight - I think he said he had issues previously, but he's on this list.

I'm cooking with Woodfellas, they won in Ankeny IA last year - however they are not on the list. I looked up last year's results on KCBS and the rep listed them as Wood Fellas - I'd guess that has something to do with the issue.

I'm really just an observer in this, but I'm gonna be bummed if we don't get to do the Invitational. It would bum me out enough to make sure I never sign up for the GAB in the future.

Sledneck
05-12-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm really just an observer in this, but I'm gonna be bummed if we don't get to do the Invitational. It would bum me out enough to make sure I never sign up for the GAB in the future.
My issues are with KCBS not with the GAB. The GAB has been very responsive(other than losing my application:evil:) I contacted them yesterday and they said they would fax me an application today and resolve it immediately.

crd26a
05-12-2009, 10:50 AM
I think the comments above about the economy and the other tourney's hold true for part of this. If its unorganized, the change in venue alone is throwing a big wrench in things. I'm sure it will still be a great event that will be ran smoothly.

bayoustylebbq
05-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Looking forward to seeing y'all out there and meeting those that I don't know yet... We are in spot #805, please stop by and say hey! We should have plenty of cold beer in the coolers! And I might have a little bit of Mississippi water, too! :rolleyes:

HoDeDo
05-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Looking forward to seeing y'all out there and meeting those that I don't know yet... We are in spot #805, please stop by and say hey! We should have plenty of cold beer in the coolers! And I might have a little bit of Mississippi water, too! :rolleyes:
Hmm I really that black walnut water... 8-)

bayoustylebbq
05-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks again for coming by on Friday night... I hope you and the girls had a good time!?! Sorry for not being much company, I had way too many relatives there...! We are right behind Bare Bones at the GAB. I think you know how to find me... I also found one of the girls' jackets at Lawrence. It is in my truck and will bring it out to the GAB....

HoDeDo
05-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks again for coming by on Friday night... I hope you and the girls had a good time!?! Sorry for not being much company, I had way too many relatives there...! We are right behind Bare Bones at the GAB. I think you know how to find me... I also found one of the girls' jackets at Lawrence. It is in my truck and will bring it out to the GAB....

We're gonna have a fun corner workin at the GAB!!! Kim told me that you had a ton of folks out after I left... she said she got to hang with Gerry and people watch :mrgreen: Thanks for takin care of that gals while I was in Platte City.

Plowboy
05-12-2009, 10:14 PM

Just sip... just sip.

paydabill
05-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Lit and Loaded will be in 765 - not much of a beer drinker, but we will keep a few in the firdge for our friends new and old. Stop by, we are not doing the invitational, so Friday night we will be able to get our drunk on!

Now just teaching my 7 year old on how to make breakfast for the hung over team, will be fun!

bayoustylebbq
05-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Come 'on Todd... You know you love the Mississippi water, too. I don't have my full amount, yet. I am still waiting for my "source" to send it to me!

It was my pleasure to take care of the girls, Andy. You know that y'all are always welcome to come see us! And there was a ton of kids out there too...

Plowboy
05-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Come 'on Todd... You know you love the Mississippi water, too. I don't have my full amount, yet. I am still waiting for my "source" to send it to me!

It was my pleasure to take care of the girls, Andy. You know that y'all are always welcome to come see us! And there was a ton of kids out there too...

I love it TOO much.

HoDeDo
05-13-2009, 10:44 PM

I love it TOO much.

The key is getting several other folks to love it more... Just enough so their cookers talks to them.:twisted: Hey buddy "feeed me" "feed me hedge or piss elm PLEASE!!!!"

might work almost as good as Jeff locking a whole crew in his trailer. :rolleyes:

bayoustylebbq
05-14-2009, 09:42 AM
The key is getting several other folks to love it more... Just enough so their cookers talks to them.:twisted: Hey buddy "feeed me" "feed me hedge or piss elm PLEASE!!!!"

I like this idea... I'll have to make sure that you and Todd get a double! hahahahahaha
But its kinda hard to feed a pellet pooper hedge!

EarlyBird
05-14-2009, 09:54 AM
I like this idea... I'll have to make sure that you and Todd get a double! hahahahahaha
But its kinda hard to feed a pellet pooper hedge!
Piss pellets :eek:

bayoustylebbq
05-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Piss pellets :eek:

Leave it to Chris to come up with another GREAT idea!

Jeff@KC
05-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey Andy, count me in on that shot! We had a change in plans and I am in spot 854. RIGHT NEXT TO YOU MISTER!!!!

HoDeDo
05-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Hey Andy, count me in on that shot! We had a change in plans and I am in spot 854. RIGHT NEXT TO YOU MISTER!!!!

Are you in 852? I thought Bare Bones was in 854! I knew you couldn't stay away...:twisted: