PDA

View Full Version : Contest Results BBQ, Blues & Cruise - Taylorville, IL 5/29-5/30

CaptTable
05-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Talked to the organizer last evening and they are still needing about 4 or 5 more teams to ensure that it is a qualifier. I hope that some of you that have been looking for a contest that weekend will strongly consider this one.

It is a second year contest & they are working hard to build it more each year.

Kathy & I are repping it again this year. (I hope that doesn't drive anyone off.:eusa_clap)

Phillip

Scottie
05-06-2009, 08:35 AM
2 weeks in a row up north and you guys might start talking funny like us...

See you there! Hope to see others there as well. It's not a bad drive for me, which is nice cause I'll be rolling in later than normal.

Scottie

U2CANQUE
05-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Checking last minute details to see if I can get this one in.....would be back to back to back.....but, I need to get to IL to a contest.....Scottie told me so....lol

nthole
05-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Got a whole lot going one. Would be tough to squeeze in. I'll check my schedule though.

Scottie
05-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Checking last minute details to see if I can get this one in.....would be back to back to back.....but, I need to get to IL to a contest.....Scottie told me so....lol

3 in a row tests your skills. Besides, by the 3rd one, you should be dialed in... Now 10 in a row gets a little exhausting... :eek:

Ron_L
05-06-2009, 11:01 AM
We're trying to fit this on in, too. It depends on work schedules. We'll know in a day or two.

tonto1117
05-06-2009, 11:56 AM
This would make three in a row - all in the Land of Lincoln......

We either need to move to Illinois or find a storage slot for the SmoSco somewhere in Scottie's driveway.

Scottie
05-06-2009, 11:58 AM
I've got a 125' driveway... Unfortunately, I have a used RV showroom going on in my driveway... My van doesn't even make it into the garage!!!

If serious, we could probably work something out... I mean, the Geer would spruce up the neighborhood a bit... :icon_blush:

tonto1117
05-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Autographed pictures, $5 bucks a piece 8) :razz:

I got a funny feeling when we get back it might be Candy Sue-ized.:shock::lol:

Scottie
05-06-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't have access to as many pellets as I want like Candy though!!!

I would love a Geer!!! To cook ribs and chicken in! :mrgreen:

CaptTable
05-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Theresa, you guys gonna be in Taylorville? I really couldn't tell by the above posts. Hope you guys make it.

Phillip

Ron_L
05-06-2009, 01:30 PM
I don't have access to as many pellets as I want like Candy though!!!

I would love a Geer!!! To cook ribs and chicken in! :mrgreen:

You should just go and buy one and give me one of your FECs :biggrin:

tonto1117
05-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Theresa, you guys gonna be in Taylorville? I really couldn't tell by the above posts. Hope you guys make it.

Phillip

Not sure yet Phillip, depends on Walt's work schuedule and a few other things.......Perhaps some liqiud arm twisting at Westmont might do the trick.....:tongue::biggrin:

Rolling Smoke
05-06-2009, 06:45 PM
We were seriously thinking about doing this one until we found out who the reps (or at least one of the reps) were. I guess we'll stay stay in Ohio that weekend (unless they've already cashed the check).

Lion Bout The Q
05-06-2009, 08:05 PM
We will be there. We cooked it last year.very nice contest with lots of stuff for the family too. Sky divers, car and motorcycle shows, horse rides and a whole pavilion devoted to Kids games..Did I mention the tornadoes all around us for several hours....(but nice concrete buildings to hide out in) Peter

Scottie
05-07-2009, 09:54 AM
We were seriously thinking about doing this one until we found out who the reps (or at least one of the reps) were. I guess we'll stay stay in Ohio that weekend (unless they've already cashed the check).

Yeah, I inquired to the organizer too about a refund....

Hope your bringing the misses... Or better yet your daughter and she can cook for ya? :twisted:

Hope to see you Jim.

Scottie

Smoky River BBQ
05-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I'll be there. Last year was a pretty good time...although the storms out there are just nuts! After doing Taylorville and then Fairbanks back to back last year, with major weather for each one, I was extremely happy I bought a camper to work out of instead of the tent. See ya'll there!

ipls3355
05-07-2009, 11:45 AM
That's not far from me if anyone needs some help. I could be in Taylorville around 7:00 p.m. on friday.

Rolling Smoke
05-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I inquired to the organizer too about a refund....

Hope your bringing the misses... Or better yet your daughter and she can cook for ya? :twisted:

Hope to see you Jim.

Scottie

Tina is coming and I wish Mandy could but I doubt she will be doing much in the way of contests this year. She is going to make us first-time grandparents by September so her schedule is full. :lol:

We'll looking forward to seeing you again Scottie.

Scottie
05-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Congrats Jim!!! You're too young to be a grandad.... :wink:

Rolling Smoke
05-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks Scottie! I was thinking I should at least be as old as...well....Phillip is before becoming a grandad but I guess not.

Smoky River BBQ
05-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Congratulations, Jim! Be sure to have pictures when you have some to show! I'll be seeing you around!

tonto1117
05-08-2009, 06:13 AM
Tina is coming and I wish Mandy could but I doubt she will be doing much in the way of contests this year. She is going to make us first-time grandparents by September so her schedule is full. :lol:

We'll looking forward to seeing you again Scottie.

Congratulations Grandpa!!!!:-D Hope to see you in Taylorville if we make it!!!:wink:

Rolling Smoke
05-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Congratulations, Jim! Be sure to have pictures when you have some to show! I'll be seeing you around!

Thanks Roger! We'll see you in Taylorville.

Rolling Smoke
05-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Congratulations Grandpa!!!!:-D Hope to see you in Taylorville if we make it!!!:wink:

Thanks Theresa! You and Walt can come down and hang out. Don't feel like you have to cook. :razz:

Bud's BBQ
05-10-2009, 05:34 AM
Thanks Theresa! You and Walt can come down and hang out. Don't feel like you have to cook. :razz:

Some would say our "hanging out" and "cooking" are pretty much one in the same :roll:

Looking forward to seeing you GrandPa.

CaptTable
05-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Well, Jim, I guess you ARE going to beat me to the Grandpa status. Our daughter, Roni, recently informed us that we were Grands-to-be come November! You & Tina will have a couple of months on us!

Rolling Smoke
05-11-2009, 07:13 AM
Some would say our "hanging out" and "cooking" are pretty much one in the same :roll:

Looking forward to seeing you GrandPa.

I can relate to that Walt. Our cooking usually has us with our backsides hanging out. :lol:

Rolling Smoke
05-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Well, Jim, I guess you ARE going to beat me to the Grandpa status. Our daughter, Roni, recently informed us that we were Grands-to-be come November! You & Tina will have a couple of months on us!

Congrats to you and Kathy! You fit the 'Grandpa' profile Phillip but Kathy is way too young to be considered a Grandma. :razz:

I guess the same can be said for me and Tina though. :oops:

U2CANQUE
05-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Gasp**:shock:**shock**:eusa_clap**I guess the same can be said for me and Tina though.
The old Crack finally accepted the elder statesman status......but, then again, great grandparents to have, in both cases....

Rolling Smoke
05-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Be careful when you refer to Tina as old and just who are you calling great grandparents????

U2CANQUE
05-11-2009, 10:01 AM
not, GREAT Grandparents.....rather, Great, will spoil rotten, what happens at Grandma's stays at Grandma's type of Grandparents.....

ChipotlePat
05-12-2009, 07:50 AM
i spoke with them and they have 26 teams and will fill up soon so you don't send it in soon you may not make it in, Sweet Chipotle BBQ

CaptTable
05-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Okay, folks. The organizer just sent me his list for Taylorville and they are sitting at 23 teams. You guys can make our trip up to Yankee Country a whole lot more pleasant this week if we KNEW they had 27 teams! (After the storms they had in the area last year, would feel better with a 2-3 team cushion.)

There are some really, really good teams that are gonna be there and the competition should be fierce! And the good folks putting the contest on are working awfully hard to put on a good show.

We leave Thursday afternoon for Westmont, IL and the drive would be less stressful if there were no Taylorville worries. Help us out.

Phillip & Kathy

Scottie
05-18-2009, 07:29 PM
I just hope you have enough room for my full barrel...

Ron_L
05-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Has anyone heard an update on the number of teams?

Ron_L
05-26-2009, 03:05 PM
OK... I'm answering my own question...

29 paid as of today.

JayAre
05-26-2009, 03:10 PM
OK... I'm answering my own question...

29 paid as of today.

confirmed or a guess?

Ron_L
05-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Confirmed

JayAre
05-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Confirmed

Thats good news...thanks

stlgreg
05-27-2009, 09:01 AM
I am judging.
I was sent the list of the teams, as I guess Ron was, and those are some tough teams!

tonto1117
05-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I am judging.
I was sent the list of the teams, as I guess Ron was, and those are some tough teams!

Just read throught the list....I ain't scareeed....:shock::-P

See ya'll this weekend.

Ron_L
05-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Taylorville is history! It was a very vice competition! The facilities were clean and water and electric was very convenient. The staff were very attentive. It seemed to me that every time that i went to throw something in the trash that the cans were empty.

For our dinner on Friday night we made Moink Loaf (one pound of ground beef and one pound of ground pork and a packet of onion soup mix) :-D

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/SiKRTYGpWpI/AAAAAAAADDw/nkRot-lrsAk/s512/P9060378.JPG

The weather was pretty good. We had some storms roll by on Friday night but we stayed dry.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/SiKRSlBAyCI/AAAAAAAADDk/HkTby7rfZMc/s512/P9060373.JPG

We weren't as lucky on Saturday, however. It rained for about 90 minutes but stopped before turn ins. Then the sun came out and the afternoon was beautiful.

The field for this competition was actually pretty strong. 6 of the 30 teams were in the top 40 in the KCBS TOY last year. Besides the local heavy hitters (Yeah, that's you, Scottie :-D) like Cancer Sucks Chicago, Dr. Porkenstein, Tyford BBQ (formerly Ulcer Acres) and Quau, we had some very good teams from all around the country. The "celebrity" team was Mike Davis and Lotta Bull BBQ and he was joined by Let's Kick Some Ash and Florida Skin and Bones. Rolling Smoke BBQ came over from Ohio and did very well!

We ended up with 3rd place brisket and 7th overall. I thought that our chicken and ribs were some of the best that we had cooked but the judges didn't agree :rolleyes:.

Here are the top 10's. (Brethren teams in bold. If I missed someone please let me know! I know I met a few others who are on the site but my mind if slipping :rolleyes:) Complete results are at the KCBS site (http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?id=1534).

Grand Champion: Lotta Bull BBQ
Reserve Champion: Let's Kick Some Ash

Overall:
1 Lotta Bull BBQ
2 Let's Kick Some Ash
3 Rolling Smoke BBQ
4 Twyford BBQ
5 Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
6 Florida Skin & Bones
7 Captain Ron's Brew-n-que
8 Quau
9 Smokin' T's
10 cancersuckschicago.com

Chicken:
1 Big Chief BBQ
2 Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
3 It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere
4 One2BBQ
5 Twyford BBQ
6 Let's Kick Some Ash
7 Rolling Smoke BBQ
8 Florida Skin & Bones
9 Quau
10 Lotta Bull BBQ

Ribs:
1 Twyford BBQ
2 Rolling Smoke BBQ
3 Lotta Bull BBQ
4 Let's Kick Some Ash
5 Black Kettle Cooks
6 Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
7 Dr. Porkenstein
8 Glory Bound
9 Road Warriors
10 Smokin' T's

Pork:
1 Lotta Bull BBQ
2 Black Kettle Cooks
3 cancersuckschicago.com
4 Wild Hogs BBQ
5 Florida Skin & Bones
6 Smokin' T's
7 It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere
8 Twyford BBQ
9 Gilly's Barnstormin' BBQ
10 Rolling Smoke BBQ

Brisket:
1 Boar Cephus
2 Lotta Bull BBQ
3 Captain Ron's Brew-n-que
4 Let's Kick Some Ash
5 Quau
6 Florida Skin & Bones
7 Wild Hogs BBQ
8 Smokin' T's
9 Rolling Smoke BBQ
10 Lion Bout the Q

nthole
05-31-2009, 09:23 AM
Great job all!

No Brethren on Brisket! Actally, Ronnelle I think Lion Bout the Q is here. Oh and don't forget about yourself.

You forget how to bold things in your old age?

Ron_L
05-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Great job all!

No Brethren on Brisket! Actally, Ronnelle I think Lion Bout the Q is here. Oh and don't forget about yourself.

You forget how to bold things in your old age?

Either that or I fell asleep... :rolleyes: I fixed it.

Rolling Smoke
05-31-2009, 03:05 PM

You slept through the pork too Ron. I had 10th. :razz: Great meeting you this weekend and I got a picture of the same thunderhead with the old Ulcer Acres flag flying in front of it.

The_Kapn
05-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Great Job Guys!

Proud of y'all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

Merl
05-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Full results are on the KCBS.US website at:

http://kcbs.us/events.php?year=2009&month=05&id=1534

Merl

Smokin' Joe
05-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Congrats to all who got a call

Ron_L
05-31-2009, 07:23 PM
You slept through the pork too Ron. I had 10th. :razz: Great meeting you this weekend and I got a picture of the same thunderhead with the old Ulcer Acres flag flying in front of it.

Sorry, Jim! I fixed it.

It was nice to meet you!

one2bbq
06-01-2009, 07:17 AM
one2bbq was there too, you wouldn't have known it because they stuck us back behind the barns but it was a good time and we took 4th in chicken.

andy_christy
06-01-2009, 07:20 AM
I was there as a spectator & can say all the Q cookin' smelled great. We were following the signs through town on the motorcycle & I told the wife I wasn't sure where we were going but we could sure smell what we were looking for.

Ron_L
06-01-2009, 07:22 AM
one2bbq was there too, you wouldn't have known it because they stuck us back behind the barns but it was a good time and we took 4th in chicken.

Doh! I should have remembered that! I remember meeting you guys. Sorry. I fixed it.

sprinter
06-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Ron,

Great cooking with you this weekend and nice to meet you both. And thanks for the coffee for Tonys late rising wife. Our pot had already burned through two or three pots and Tony and I were done and put away. We appreciate that you still had some for her.

Smokin' T's
9th overall
10th ribs
6th pork
8th brisket (and that truly WAS a gift from the judges)

Hope to see you on the cooking trail later in the year.

Troy

Smoky River BBQ
06-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Wish I could have been there, but family matters had to take priority. Congrats to everyone who got a call. Jim, I'll have to look at those grandbaby pics at Madison in August! Glad the weather held out for everyone.

Rolling Smoke
06-01-2009, 04:10 PM
No grandbaby until October Roger so if I show you any pics in Madison, it will not be ones that Dawn or Tina can see. :lol:

CaptTable
06-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Just want ALL you guys to know that Kathy and I really enjoyed our adventure through Yankee country. It was great seeing some of our friends that we hadn't seen in a year and meeting new ones.

It is always a pleasure to work contests in these areas (Westmont & Taylorville) and we look forward to heading back up that way for a few more later on this year.

Hope you guys will check out the schedule on the KCBS website and see the ones Kathy & I will be doing and join in with us!

Phillip

Bud's BBQ
06-02-2009, 05:31 AM
Great seeing everyone at Taylorville. Congrats to all who walked.
Great to see the "Buckeye Brigaid", aka, Rolling Smoke do so well.

Ron L has got his brisket workin' and Phil and Kathy always make a comp worth cookin'.

JayAre
06-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Just want ALL you guys to know that Kathy and I really enjoyed our adventure through Yankee country. It was great seeing some of our friends that we hadn't seen in a year and meeting new ones.

It is always a pleasure to work contests in these areas (Westmont & Taylorville) and we look forward to heading back up that way for a few more later on this year.

Hope you guys will check out the schedule on the KCBS website and see the ones Kathy & I will be doing and join in with us!

Phillip

Thanks Phillip and Kathy for a great contest, you guys are awesome..(even though I got caught on candid cellphone)...Paul Mizer did a great job as an organizer, the place was a great set up for bbq'in thanks a ton!

Congrats to Jim and Tina, what a fantastic job!!! and you even showed up for the rewards!

Great to be in the company of so many great teams..got my butts handed to me and still had a great time!

See ya'll at Kettering!
JayAre and Janine

Ron_L
06-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Ron,

Great cooking with you this weekend and nice to meet you both. And thanks for the coffee for Tonys late rising wife. Our pot had already burned through two or three pots and Tony and I were done and put away. We appreciate that you still had some for her.

Smokin' T's
9th overall
10th ribs
6th pork
8th brisket (and that truly WAS a gift from the judges)

Hope to see you on the cooking trail later in the year.

Troy

I updated the results list, Troy. It was great to meet all of you as well. The coffee pots is on at every competition so if you see us just come on by!

It's funny that you posted when you did. Amy and I were talking about your toy hauler last night. Do you have the manufacturer and model? I'm compiling a list of toy haulers that would work for us so i can keep my eye out. We probably won't buy for another year but it never hurts to look :rolleyes:

Ron_L
06-02-2009, 07:24 PM

Phillip

It's always fun seeing you and Kathy and we know that the competition will be well run when you are the reps. I hope we get to see you again on your next swing up north.

sprinter
06-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Ron,

I'll get whatever details I can on it but as the title of the post says, everything I have is for sale. Its a Keystone Tailgator, 2000 model, 23.5 feet long. We bought it used but it had been VERY LIGHTLY used. The folks we got it from had it about 2 years and used it once, the original owner could not have used it much either. Now, when it comes to RV's and boats etc. they HAVE to be used to some extent or its as bad as overuse or misuse. You have to run the oil through things, keep the tires aired etc. But ours was in great shape and we've had no trouble with it at all. The only investment we've made in it is plumbing that sink into the garage area and we put new tires on it this spring. It IS heavy and its all the Suburban can comfortably do to keep it running 65 down the highway. There are lighter models but be careful with those as you may not be able to use the tailgate to cook on like we use ours.

I'll dig to find whatever I can on it and let you know. Talk to you soon.

Troy

Sledneck
06-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Is it true that Lotta Bull won GC and wasnt there to accept at awards? If that it is true, isnt that the second time this year?

Scottie
06-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Taylorville and Stagecoach this year. I've been to both of them...

Sledneck
06-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Is it just me or is that really messed up?

Scottie
06-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Mike is a good friend, so I don't want to say too much. But I think it's messed up.

Rolling Smoke
06-06-2009, 05:25 AM
Great seeing everyone at Taylorville. Congrats to all who walked.
Great to see the "Buckeye Brigaid", aka, Rolling Smoke do so well.

Ron L has got his brisket workin' and Phil and Kathy always make a comp worth cookin'.

Thanks Walt! It must have been the lucky cigar:wink: