PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Great Pork BarbeQlossal--Des Moines, IA June 4-6

musicmanryann
05-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Big T'z will be there for our homecoming!:-D I have heard great things about this championship and am looking forward to meeting and going head to head with some of the "big dawgs" that show up for this one!

http://www.pork.org/bbqlossal/

Unfortunately, we will not be doing whole hog as I can't figure out how to stuff one in to one of our WSMs. :lol:

KC_Bobby
05-05-2009, 10:52 AM
The Boondoggle Brothers will be there. I'm towing up the Q'chen Thursday after work and hope to be in the parking lot by 10:00. I'm bringing the founder of Show Me Smoke to help out that weekend - he's in charge of the whole hog.

BBQ_Mayor
05-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Smokehouse 72 will be there. Should be a great time.

Balls Casten
05-05-2009, 12:25 PM
We're in ...

Big Mike's BBQ
05-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I wil be there cooking with a tailgating buddy of mine. We are cooking under Two Mikes BBQ.

Big Mike

BBQ_Mayor
05-05-2009, 02:41 PM
I wil be there cooking with a tailgating buddy of mine. We are cooking under Two Mikes BBQ.

Big Mike

Welcome to the forum Mike. Go to Cattle Call and introduce yourself.

thenewguy
05-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Spanky and the meat mafia will be in da house!

Smokin' Joe
05-05-2009, 04:45 PM
We are in as well...gotta get the application in the mail tonight....anyone how close to full they are?

thenewguy
05-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Already sold out-sorry

not. They have plenty of room- I just don't need any more competition!lol!

Smokin' Joe
05-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Already sold out-sorry

not. They have plenty of room- I just don't need any more competition!lol!

You had me for a second :icon_blush:
the good news for you is that I'm just adding to the prize fund:lol:

We are not doing the whole hog either for the same reasons. I was glad to see the change on the overall, we were heading to South Dakota that weekend but changed that when we saw what was changing here...

Plowboy
05-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Pork Pullin Plowboys will be there again this year. I think this is year six for competing.

ModelMaker
05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I'll be around till late Fri. afternoon. Hope to see all your smiling faces!!
ModelMaker

pat
05-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Wish I was making this one. Getting ready for a Operation BBQ cook that Sunday at Blank Park Zoo!

musicmanryann
05-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Wish I was making this one. Getting ready for a Operation BBQ cook that Sunday at Blank Park Zoo!

What is this?

Rookie'48
05-06-2009, 11:04 PM
It's kind of a "thank you" to our guys in uniform that's going on in differenet cities. Maybe Pat or Roo will chime in with details.

musicmanryann
05-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Smoked a pork loin for the first time this weekend. Looking forward to this..

monty3777
05-19-2009, 01:25 PM
I'll be there -with Holy and Oly's BBQ.

Smokin' Joe
05-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Smoked a pork loin for the first time this weekend. Looking forward to this..

That makes two of us that practiced loin in Austin this weekend, the meat inspectors kind of looked at it funny until I told them it was for supper:lol:
Still trying to find a way to get some flavor into it...maybe I'll just cover it in sauce and no one will notice:mrgreen:

KC_Bobby
05-19-2009, 02:54 PM
The good news is that loin is turned in using a clam shell with regular KCBS rules. So Darren and Shad can't turn the category into some chefs delight like we had in St. Joe. I think Shad used a pork loin recipe last year when he went through that series of chef competitions and made it to the finals.

Smokin' Joe
05-19-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm already tired of those 2 kicking my butt:redface::mrgreen:

Buster Dog BBQ
05-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Moe won Pork loin last year.

Ron_L
05-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Unfortunately, we will not be doing whole hog as I can't figure out how to stuff one in to one of our WSMs. :lol:

Stack two and hang it? :rolleyes:

We're cooking a little closer to home that weekend. Maybe next year.

Jorge
05-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Looking forward to being a Plowboy for a few days!

Plowboy
05-25-2009, 11:46 AM

It is a privilege few get to experience.

Butcher BBQ
05-25-2009, 01:31 PM
It is a privilege few get to experience.

I'm next Todd.

Coz
05-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Your a lucky man Jorge.

Jorge
05-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm next Todd.

Your a lucky man Jorge.

We'll see.....I understand that Todd has installed 'mood lighting' in his rig:eek:

Balls Casten
05-25-2009, 03:19 PM
The good news is that loin is turned in using a clam shell with regular KCBS rules. So Darren and Shad can't turn the category into some chefs delight like we had in St. Joe.

No kidding .. we saw a pic of what they turned in. I'm giving up if we have start doing that to compete. (It did look awsome!)

Plowboy
05-25-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm next Todd.

Anytime, David.

Butcher BBQ
05-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Anytime, David.

Okay how about Tuesday:cool:, Location? With the honor of cooking with you how about your call.

Plowboy
05-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Okay how about Tuesday:cool:, Location? With the honor of cooking with you how about your call.

How about El Dorado, KS the end of July? That is about half way for both of us. I'm already entered. Wanna team up?

Pyle's BBQ
05-25-2009, 10:36 PM
I will be there with a friend of mine. His team is Slappy Blues. I won't be there all day Saturday. I have to got to Minneapolis for my nephew's HS graduation. I will be looking everyone up while I am out there.

musicmanryann
05-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Pork Pullin Plowboys will be there again this year. I think this is year six for competing.

It looks like we are competing against each other in the BGE Scramble--It should be fun! Has anyone done this before? I have no idea what to expect.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-26-2009, 01:35 PM
It looks like we are competing against each other in the BGE Scramble--It should be fun! Has anyone done this before? I have no idea what to expect.

We did it last year. The mystery meat was pork knuckle. The winners made a kabob. The large egg doesnt have room for a lot of stuff by the time you get a chunk of meat on there and the time goes really fast. If you havent got your list of other stuff, you will soon. Just look for a way to cook it fast if needed and have a good presentation.

Balls Casten
05-26-2009, 03:21 PM
.pdf file of the site map. Anne said assignments will go out later this week.
http://www.smokerspurgatory.com/contests/porkexpo/BBQlossal2009.pdf

Scottie
05-26-2009, 03:45 PM
We did it last year. The mystery meat was pork knuckle. The winners made a kabob. The large egg doesnt have room for a lot of stuff by the time you get a chunk of meat on there and the time goes really fast. If you havent got your list of other stuff, you will soon. Just look for a way to cook it fast if needed and have a good presentation.

The winners made a gumbo.... If you recall, a few teams didn't think that was right... But they said that sausage was made out of pork... I would think they would have to tighten those rules a little bit...

I'd also make sure you have enough cocktails to drink... Makes it a lot more fun... I got to cook it last year with YankeeBBQ as Hawgeyes Nation... We even had a cheering section... But no cheerleaders, as they never showed up...

Smokin' Joe
05-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Are you making the trip over this year Scottie?

Scottie
05-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Not this year Joe. I have a conflict at work... Which really stinks, as I love this contest... But I wouldn't of been able to pull in until after 10:00 pm and that just wouldn't work... so hopefully next year.

Anne and crew do a great job of taking care of the cooks. The crowds really enjoy themselves too.

Have fun! And good luck with the loin...

Scottie

musicmanryann
05-26-2009, 04:02 PM
The winners made a gumbo.... If you recall, a few teams didn't think that was right... But they said that sausage was made out of pork... I would think they would have to tighten those rules a little bit...

I'd also make sure you have enough cocktails to drink... Makes it a lot more fun... I got to cook it last year with YankeeBBQ as Hawgeyes Nation... We even had a cheering section... But no cheerleaders, as they never showed up...

Pardon my naivete, but how could they use sausage when the meat was knuckle?:-?

Scottie
05-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Pardon my naivete, but how could they use sausage when the meat was knuckle?:-?

Exactly....

musicmanryann
05-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Exactly....

So did they make sausage out of the knuckle meat? Otherwise, I don't see how that is within the rules. I guess I will inquire with Anne.

Smokin' Joe
05-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Have fun! And good luck with the loin...

Scottie

Thanks Scottie..gonna need it:lol:

Buster Dog BBQ
05-26-2009, 04:26 PM

Well, I didnt want to say anything. We were right next to them and it said the only protein was to be what they gave you. Oh well. I was more impressed with wonton's from the other Illinois team.

Scottie
05-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Quau is a machine!! lol. I was too busy watching him... OK maybe I was watching those fine hurricane's that our cheering section was supplying too.

Just go out and have fun is my recommendation, after being involved with 2 of these cook offs.

Butcher BBQ
05-26-2009, 05:58 PM
How about El Dorado, KS the end of July? That is about half way for both of us. I'm already entered. Wanna team up?

That would be fun, we have a contest were in at Waganer OK. May we can team up some other time.

Caseyjoenz
05-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Late entry...but Smokin' Caboose BBQ will be there again. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Plowboy
05-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Steph from TheSlabs.com will be my partner in crime for the Big Green Egg Scramble. I'm recruiting the big guns for this one. Apparently Clone... er... Smokey D, got wind of it and backed out.

KC_Bobby
05-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Is Shad in it?

musicmanryann
05-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Is Shad in it?

I don't think so...At least his email wasn't included in the ones that went out. Gracias a Dios!:wink:

Plowboy
05-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Is Shad in it?

No. Thank gawd!

Plowboy
05-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Apparently Clone... er... Smokey D, got wind of it and backed out.

This was a joke, BTW. Darren, obviously, has no need to fear anyone.

Jorge
05-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Anybody familiar with the area have a recomendation for a grocery store with good produce?

I also need a liquor store. It's time to contribute to Rev. Randy as well:lol:

The closer to the fairgrounds the better.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Anybody familiar with the area have a recomendation for a grocery store with good produce?

There's a drive through liquor store right by the fairgrounds on University Ave just west of the fairgrounds.

DMDon
05-27-2009, 05:36 PM
There's a drive through liquor store right by the fairgrounds on University Ave just west of the fairgrounds.

Its Last Stop Liquor, and they usually have the Templeton Rye on hand. Guess its not a big seller on the east side.

Plowboy
05-27-2009, 08:47 PM

There is a Hy-Vee East on University as well. We'll be going there for a few things.

KC_Bobby
05-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Sorry folks, park's closed. The moose out front should have told ya. Word is the place is full and they're turning teams away.

Plowboy
05-27-2009, 09:57 PM
...a drive through liquor store...

That sounds like a bad idea. :icon_bugeyed

Learnin Querve
05-28-2009, 12:44 AM
I'll be there to walk around and hopefully meet a few people.

Someone mentioned a couple of spots for provisions near the fairgrounds. There are other, larger grocery stores fairly close by, as well as a few ethnic markets if you need something really special.

If anyone has any questions about where to get what in the immediate area, shoot me a message. I literally live just up the street from the fairgrounds.

Chris

Ponderosa BBQ
05-28-2009, 05:06 AM
Ponderosa BBQ will be working on some whole hog improvements this weekend.looking forward to seeing my BBQ friends

U2CANQUE
05-28-2009, 06:19 AM
It sounds like it is going to be a great one......will have to put this one on the must soon do as well......best of luck to all!

BBQ_Mayor
05-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Everybody should have their packets in their email.
Smokehouse 72 is in spot 165.

musicmanryann
05-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Everybody should have their packets in their email.
Smokehouse 72 is in spot 165.

I was just about to post this as well. It looks like we are right near each other. Big T'z is in spot 115. Gettin' real excited now.:-D

KC_Bobby
05-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Spot 187

I B Shiggin! Behind us are Quau and Johhny Trigg. And Four Mile Fred and Jack's Old South are right across the way.

Anyone know any A/V techs that work for the fairgrounds? :twisted:

BBQ_Mayor
05-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Heres a pdf of the Brethren locations. Hover your cusor over the color square to see the team name. You may need to click on a few of them.

Sorry if I missed anybody. Let me know who you are and I'll add ya.

pat
05-28-2009, 01:18 PM
I am gonna be there cooking with Woody's Smoke Shack. Looking forward to the weekend!

Buster Dog BBQ
05-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Spot 187

I B Shiggin! Behind us are Quau and Johhny Trigg. And Four Mile Fred and Jack's Old South are right across the way.

Anyone know any A/V techs that work for the fairgrounds? :twisted:
I cooked behind Quau and Trigg last year and didnt get a peep of anything. Top Secret stuff.

KC_Bobby
05-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Ray:
Holy & Oly - 235
Ponderosa - 109 (I guess Moe gets a spot to be named later)

Doesn't Josh from Meadow Valley check in from time to time around in here too?

Plowboy
05-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Is the map posted somewhere?

KC_Bobby
05-28-2009, 10:21 PM
You should have gotten it in Anne's email. If you didn't get it, I can forward it.

Balls Casten
05-29-2009, 08:51 AM
#153 for us, thanks for the bethren map.

It says they are giving us 3 pocket roasts to hand out as samples. Has anyone cooked one before? And if they hand it out at 3:00 will anything be done by 5:30 as they asked? Grill it maybe?

Plowboy
05-29-2009, 08:57 AM
#153 for us, thanks for the bethren map.

It says they are giving us 3 pocket roasts to hand out as samples. Has anyone cooked one before? And if they hand it out at 3:00 will anything be done by 5:30 as they asked? Grill it maybe?

Never cooked one, but you are supposed to be able to grill them and be done in under 45 min.

KC_Bobby
05-29-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm hoping we can buddy up with neighbors on the pocket roasts. No reason to have everyone fire up the smokers. I could probably get 20-24 in my BWS with ease and get good air flow.

Here's a link to the pocket roast (http://www.theotherwhitemeat.com/hotnewcuts/pocketroast.aspx) - unfortunately it doesn't provide a desired finish temp

Jorge
05-29-2009, 09:42 AM
I'll be there to walk around and hopefully meet a few people.

Someone mentioned a couple of spots for provisions near the fairgrounds. There are other, larger grocery stores fairly close by, as well as a few ethnic markets if you need something really special.

If anyone has any questions about where to get what in the immediate area, shoot me a message. I literally live just up the street from the fairgrounds.

Chris

Check your PMs

Buster Dog BBQ
05-29-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm hoping we can buddy up with neighbors on the pocket roasts. No reason to have everyone fire up the smokers. I could probably get 20-24 in my BWS with ease and get good air flow.

Here's a link to the pocket roast (http://www.theotherwhitemeat.com/hotnewcuts/pocketroast.aspx) - unfortunately it doesn't provide a desired finish temp

If Todd gives me a break Friday, I will cook with you guys. Sliced thin the site said. Like a good pork gyro!

KC_Bobby
05-29-2009, 10:32 AM
If not, just have Waterboy bring them over (with a refill). We'll cook em so you can serve em later.

I wanted to have my smoker going by 6:00 pm anyway, so firing it up a few hours sooner is no big deal.

KC_Bobby
06-04-2009, 08:58 AM
No update?

What's going on at the Expo?
Who's there?
Is it the happenin' place in Iowa to be?
What's the forecast calling for?
Is my spot ready? (swept and power washed) :biggrin:
Are my neighbors already there? (Quau, Trigg & Smokers Wild)
Will I hit Quau's toterhome as I back the Q'chen in? :eek:

Why yes, I am excited to get there. See ya 'bout 10:00 tonight.

Balls Casten
06-04-2009, 09:20 AM
We're smoking all day Friday, so anyone is welcome to toss theirs on our smoker as well. Spot #153 We're bring the grill down as well.
Prepair yourselves for another "Free Eastsider Friday at the Fairgrounds"

Predicting showers off and on from friday night thru saturday after noon, with some heavy showers.:icon_smil

BBQ_Mayor
06-04-2009, 09:22 AM
No update?

What's going on at the Expo?
Who's there?
Is it the happenin' place in Iowa to be?
What's the forecast calling for?
Is my spot ready? (swept and power washed) :biggrin:
Are my neighbors already there? (Quau, Trigg & Smokers Wild)
Will I hit Quau's toterhome as I back the Q'chen in? :eek:

Why yes, I am excited to get there. See ya 'bout 10:00 tonight.

Yes, this is the happen place in Iowa. It's on the radio every hour and even been on TV a few times. Moe was on TV Tuesday morning.
See you Friday Morning.

Balls Casten
06-04-2009, 09:26 AM
I missed Moe, which channel?

musicmanryann
06-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Predicting showers off and on from friday night thru saturday after noon, with some heavy showers.:icon_smil

:icon_frowI guess I'll have to get that replacement canopy finally.

BBQ_Mayor
06-04-2009, 09:59 AM
I missed Moe, which channel?

I didn't see it either but I heard it was channel 5.

musicmanryann
06-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Looking forward to being closer to you guys this time Ray. I got the Clonesickle chillin' in freezer itchin' to go! :)

BBQ_Mayor
06-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Looking forward to being closer to you guys this time Ray. I got the Clonesickle chillin' in freezer itchin' to go! :)

Sweet! What time you pulling in?

DMDon
06-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Hey, what are the turn in times? The email I got and the info on the website don't match up. The ribs and shoulder/butts time differ.

Email
Whole Hog
Ribs
Shoulder
12:30
Loin

website

After you've had fun on Friday evening, come back on Saturday because you are in for another treat! The Great Pork BarbeQlossal is one of the only contests in the country that lets you taste the same as the judges. Yes, you can get samples after each of the categories is turned in. So this is when you need to be in line on Saturday morning! 35 teams will be handing out samples of whole hog starting a little after 11! Then at 12 all 59 teams will have shoulder, 12:30 ribs and 1 loin! Remember, they are competing on Saturday for over $34,500 in prize money so please be patient as you wait in line. They are not trying to be rude or short but they will get the samples out to you as soon as they can. Unfortunately, they can't visit with you during this time period but you are welcome to stick around after the judging is complete at 1:30 and they will be glad to visit!

musicmanryann
06-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Sweet! What time you pulling in?

Unfortunately, we probably wont be able to get there tonight--need to get prepped for the BGE Scramble. Will try to pull in around 8:30 am tomorrow.

Smokin' Joe
06-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey, what are the turn in times? The email I got and the info on the website don't match up. The ribs and shoulder/butts time differ.

Email
Whole Hog
Ribs
Shoulder
12:30
Loin

website

After you've had fun on Friday evening, come back on Saturday because you are in for another treat! The Great Pork BarbeQlossal is one of the only contests in the country that lets you taste the same as the judges. Yes, you can get samples after each of the categories is turned in. So this is when you need to be in line on Saturday morning! 35 teams will be handing out samples of whole hog starting a little after 11! Then at 12 all 59 teams will have shoulder, 12:30 ribs and 1 loin! Remember, they are competing on Saturday for over $34,500 in prize money so please be patient as you wait in line. They are not trying to be rude or short but they will get the samples out to you as soon as they can. Unfortunately, they can't visit with you during this time period but you are welcome to stick around after the judging is complete at 1:30 and they will be glad to visit!

Good question...in the "rules" it says 12 pork, 12:30 ribs, 1 loin...I got my timeline setup that way do it better be right:mrgreen:. I have a tendancy to forget so I gotta have it in writing:lol:...

We should be pulling in around 10:30 tomorrow AM, looking forward to it

KC_Bobby
06-04-2009, 03:46 PM
I made my timelines out both ways - on pork.

Sounds like a good question for the meeting though - along with some whole hog questions.