PDA

View Full Version : Cambro vs Cooler

Meat Burner
05-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Is there any difference in holding brisket and butts in a Cambro, or similar devise, at comps versus stuffing a cooler with newspaper and towels? I am looking for a holding cabinet for comps and fundraisers we do a few of each year. Thanks for any advise.

musicmanryann
05-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Meat--

There has been a discussion of the that exact thing the past few days in the thread titled, "holding brisket/pork - 3 methods - which? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60555) ". It is a few threads below this one. Hope this helps.

~Ryan

C Rocke
05-01-2009, 09:22 AM
We've used both, but I personally like the Cambro due to it's versatility. Also like that it stacks and nests, and has a dolley for portability. My $.02

Meat Burner
05-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks Ryan, I will check that thread. Only viewed a few posts in that thread the other day and haven't finished it. The reason I asked was we helped at a recent judges class. The meat was waiting for us in a Cambro. The meat was heavily wrapped in plastic wrap, put in pans, and covered with more plastic wrap. Don't know how long they were holding but were soooooo overcooked it was nearly impossible to slice at all. The butt were almost mushy. Too bad for the people taking the class. That is what made me wander about them.
Thanks again and I appreciate any advise.

lazyjacres
05-01-2009, 10:42 AM
I use the Cambro religously. You can't beat it. Here is a link that Munkees Pit BBQ gave me to the new mega Cambro. I gotta have one of these.

http://www.cateringequipmentworld.com/cambro-upcs400.html (http://www.cateringequipmentworld.com/cambro-upcs400.html)

Countryhb
05-01-2009, 10:42 AM
I have used both, but will only use the Cambro now. I do not wrap anything for the exact reason mentioned above. I just put it in a pan in a warm Cambro and let it wait for serving time.

early mornin' smokin'
05-01-2009, 10:45 AM
lazyjacres - i already have a black one, but i saw one of those at restaurant depot and i almost bought it.

Divemaster
05-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks Ryan, I will check that thread. Only viewed a few posts in that thread the other day and haven't finished it. The reason I asked was we helped at a recent judges class. The meat was waiting for us in a Cambro. The meat was heavily wrapped in plastic wrap, put in pans, and covered with more plastic wrap. Don't know how long they were holding but were soooooo overcooked it was nearly impossible to slice at all. The butt were almost mushy. Too bad for the people taking the class. That is what made me wander about them.
Thanks again and I appreciate any advise.

That is the only down fall is that if you really pack with a ton of food it does continue cooking... At comps it's only a couple of butts and a couple of briskets so it's less of an issue...

When 'Bulk Cooking' I let the meat rest outside of the cambro for about 15 minutes and then put it in... Never had a problem with over cooking...

I use the Cambro religously. You can't beat it. Here is a link that Munkees Pit BBQ gave me to the new mega Cambro. I gotta have one of these.

http://www.cateringequipmentworld.com/cambro-upcs400.html (http://www.cateringequipmentworld.com/cambro-upcs400.html)

I've got two of them that I won't give up for any thing... I take them to comps and use one as a fridge for the meat (Large pan of ice on top) and the meat stays in the 37-40* area... Use the other for holding cooked meats...

billm
05-01-2009, 11:48 AM
That is the only down fall is that if you really pack with a ton of food it does continue cooking... At comps it's only a couple of butts and a couple of briskets so it's less of an issue...

When 'Bulk Cooking' I let the meat rest outside of the cambro for about 15 minutes and then put it in... Never had a problem with over cooking...

I've got two of them that I won't give up for any thing... I take them to comps and use one as a fridge for the meat (Large pan of ice on top) and the meat stays in the 37-40* area... Use the other for holding cooked meats...
so do the new ones hold heat as well as the old ones? i see they have gone gasket-less

Countryhb
05-01-2009, 11:52 AM
I use mine for cold storage as well. After the meat, I store my greens in it. It works awesome!

Munkee's Pit
05-01-2009, 01:45 PM

Cambro claims that these containers will only loose 10 degrees in 4 hours. This is also the lowest price that I have seen them. MSRP is around $450.

HBMTN
05-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I fought this back in the winter and decided I can buy a bunch of coolers for the cost of one Cambro. They work great for me.

Meat Burner
05-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Stopped by our local restaurant supply and looked at the Cambos today. Nice units. They also had the new now gasket units as well. The size I am interested in is about $270.00. Since I am not into catering but do several fundraisers and a few comps, it would be nice. Anyway, they have a unit made by Rubbermaid that is a canvass skin, real thick insulation wall, and velcro door. The salesperson said they work great and might be more appropriate for my purpose. Anyone have any experience with this product? Thanks everyone.

early mornin' smokin'
05-02-2009, 06:00 AM
no experience with the rubbermaid, and the new cambro does have a gasket, its just built into the body, not the door, and i dont think its removeable

Vince RnQ
05-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Another option is an insulated food carrier (http://www.equippers.com/shop/product-detail.aspx?ret=1&pcid=60&scid=6040&pid=10338) made by Carlisle. This product is similar to that made by Cambro but is less expensive. We've been using one for the last two years and have been very satisfied with the results. The unit shown at the link above is only $159 plus shipping which is also at a resonable rate. As I recall, the total cost including shipping was about $175.

Munkee's Pit
05-02-2009, 12:02 PM
no experience with the rubbermaid, and the new cambro does have a gasket, its just built into the body, not the door, and i dont think its removeable

The Combro listed above does NOT have a gasket. But, door seals great, and I have not had a problem with it.

Meat Burner
05-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the link Vision. That looks more reasonable. Their other prices look good as well.
That would sure organize everything at the comps.

SmokeInDaEye
05-03-2009, 12:24 AM
For anyone using a Cambro, Do you just throw the meat in there or shoud I wrap it with towels???

toys4dlr
05-03-2009, 01:25 AM
I wrap in foil and into the cambro in a steam tray. no Towels. If it is cold or the cambro is cold, I will boil a pan of water and place in the cambro on a cookie sheet to "Pre Heat" the unit. It will depend on how much stuff is in it, but pre heating it works nice.

watertowerbbq
08-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Another option is an insulated food carrier (http://www.equippers.com/shop/product-detail.aspx?ret=1&pcid=60&scid=6040&pid=10338) made by Carlisle. This product is similar to that made by Cambro but is less expensive. We've been using one for the last two years and have been very satisfied with the results. The unit shown at the link above is only $159 plus shipping which is also at a resonable rate. As I recall, the total cost including shipping was about $175.

Were you able to place 1/2 sheet pans in this unit?

Bbq Bubba
08-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Were you able to place 1/2 sheet pans in this unit?

Yes, i use half sheetpans for shelves. :biggrin:

early mornin' smokin'
08-09-2009, 09:00 PM
cambro for me, its expensive, but its worth it, if you keep all your meat in seperate pans theres never a risk of cross contamination of flavors.

Meat Burner
08-09-2009, 09:06 PM
How long do you keep different meats in the Cambo before serving?

acorette
08-10-2009, 07:10 AM
Depends upon how long before turn-ins the meats are ready. Once they are ready, they go into the Cambro until slicing/pulling/boxing time just before turn in. Some times several hours, some times just 15 minutes. Usually it's an hour or two for me. Also, it's a great way to transport leftovers. Keep it in foil covered pans, carry the whole Cambro where you need it.

jbiesinger
08-10-2009, 07:44 AM
I just purchase a couple of coleman's party stackers, they were on sale at target for $18 each. They are designed for a case of beer or carrying a casserole pan. I hoping to find the right size aluminum pan to fit into them, once I do I think it'll be an inexpensive alternative to the cambro.

three or four stacked up probably are about the same size as a med/large cambro.

each meat will have its own home, and you won't have to open the other boxes each time like you would to load or unload a cambro.

the interior shape fits half steam table trays unlike most coolers that are too narrow.

its flexible, I used one yesterday to transport a hot brisket. I couldn't do that with a cambro.

goodsmokebbq
08-10-2009, 08:45 AM
I wrap in foil and into the cambro in a steam tray. no Towels. If it is cold or the cambro is cold, I will boil a pan of water and place in the cambro on a cookie sheet to "Pre Heat" the unit. It will depend on how much stuff is in it, but pre heating it works nice.

This is how we do it...

big brother smoke
08-10-2009, 02:00 PM
I have both the Carlisle and Cambro containers. Hands down the Cambros are better, but I do like the Carlisles for mass quantities of food as they are not insulated as well and I have enough food to keep the heat in at a nice temperature.

As Dive mentioned earlier, you can rest your meat for about 15 minutes before placing them into the contanier to halt cooking.

Stoke&Smoke
08-10-2009, 02:04 PM
We opted for the Carlisles, two at first, now we have 4. For the $$$ you can't beat 'em!

We use them as refridgerators on the way to a comp, like Dive, and then hold our meats in on that we've emptied.

I've found that pre-warming really isn't required, we just load cold stuff bottom to top, and hot stuff top to bottom. Since the pork is always in first, we've found that two butts will keep for a long time, without pre-warming. As to how long, we did a wedding reception in early June where I loaded butts at 10AM, and at 10 that night, the 4 we had left (from the 14 we cooked) were still piping hot. Just kept them foiled until we needed, and pulled them in front of the clients.

Rubbermaid has some interesting ones out as well, I saw couple of their Cater-Max units at a local rib fest over the 4th of July weekend. I think theyre pretty pricy though. http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/products/pdf/AdvantageAlert_30.pdf

KentuckyLandSales
09-02-2009, 09:08 AM
the Cambro Ultra is one of the best tools we've ever bought. Love it. Not too crazy about how the Carlisle looks/hinge/etc. I bought mine used at the Restaurant Supply for 195 each. Regularly 295 there, but looks like better prices online, so check.

Highly recommend a Cambro for anyone doing any catering/cooking/competition.

Rub
09-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Used to use coolers, bought a Cambro a year or so ago and will never look back.
Money well spent!