PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Roc City Rib Fest --> May 23-24 upto 42 Teams!

goodsmokebbq
05-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Man is time flying... We are having a great turnout so far, thanks to all the Brethren who have signed up!:-D:-D:-D

42 KCBS teams to date, and 55 overall including the rib cookoff on Sat.

Let me know if anyone needs anything.

Jacked UP BBQ
05-01-2009, 08:07 AM
We will be there competing and Jacked Up BBQ will be selling the BBQ!!!!!!

WannaBeBBQueen
05-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Swamp Pit BBQ will be there :biggrin:

22 days and counting!!

The Giggler
05-01-2009, 09:09 AM
That's great, Brian. Congrats.

Don't forget, the GC will receive a FREE KCBS Entry into Boston Hills BBQ Fest on June 26th-28th. Boston Hills BBQ Fest is gaining momentum too! Great to see BBQ is alive and well in WNY!

We're really looking forward to ROC CITY RIBFEST!

Swamp Pit: I've secured the tow vehicle for your trailer. You'll need to send a "Care Package" along with your rig.... :biggrin:

ihbobry
05-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Most likley will be helping a friend from Rochester who started his own team. He got the bug after helping us @ Merrimack last year.

U2CANQUE
05-01-2009, 12:30 PM
cannot wait for the contest!! Still waiting to see how many high school cullinary students that I will get as helpers!!!

Diva Q
05-02-2009, 08:02 AM
We will be there. Comin in late after another competition in Ottawa Ontario. Thanks for being accomodating about our really late arrival it is appreciated. I am going to need all the expresso i can get to make it through back to back comps.

WannaBeBBQueen
05-02-2009, 08:20 AM
We will be there. Comin in late after another competition in Ottawa Ontario. Thanks for being accomodating about our really late arrival it is appreciated. I am going to need all the expresso i can get to make it through back to back comps.
wow! we always have coffee available, just say the word :biggrin:

U2CANQUE
05-02-2009, 10:31 AM

Nah, lets slip her the decaf.....shhhhhhh:icon_shy.....dont worry, no problem staying up all night.....:twisted:

Diva Q
05-03-2009, 07:14 PM
lol decaf

goodsmokebbq
05-04-2009, 12:21 PM
cannot wait for the contest!! Still waiting to see how many high school cullinary students that I will get as helpers!!!

I am finding there are not many cullinary programs in this area (plenty in NYC). Anyone from the area know of anything?

U2CANQUE
05-04-2009, 04:33 PM
I am finding there are not many cullinary programs in this area
a friend of mine from High School is a teacher with some high school cullinary students, they are going to barter presentation boxes for learning bbq....I figure it is a win win situation....

U2CANQUE
05-04-2009, 04:41 PM
well, from fairport anyway.......it is part of a high school there where students can earn credit for college/cullinary school....

lunchlady
05-04-2009, 05:59 PM
lunchmeat will be there!

I'm so excited for this event! Can't wait to touch base with everyone and start off the summer the RIGHT WAY!...

looks to be a glorious Memorial Day Weekend... right Sled?

20 days...

Tinybud
05-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Redneck Pitkrew will be there, Looking forward to it, our first comp in New York, as well as our first for this year. Gonna be a good time.

goodsmokebbq
05-05-2009, 06:29 AM
a friend of mine from High School is a teacher with some high school cullinary students, they are going to barter presentation boxes for learning bbq....I figure it is a win win situation....
Thats great!

Diva Q
05-13-2009, 06:43 AM
Hey everyone if anyone is looking for a hotel room for this competition my husband got us a great deal here was his post from another forum:

If anyone still needs a hotel room for this comp, we got a good deal through priceline.com for Friday night: Hyatt Regency Rochester for $73.90. Best rate (no refund) on their website is $135.20.

http://www.rochester.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp (http://www.rochester.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp)

It is 7 miles from the competition.

To get the same price, or close to it, bid for a 4 star hotel in Rochester Downtown and bid no more than $58.00. I started the bidding at $45 and it offered me a free bid for $13 more.

goodsmokebbq
05-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Hey everyone if anyone is looking for a hotel room for this competition my husband got us a great deal here was his post from another forum:

Diva,
that is a great price for that hotel! it is a high rise with a great view of downtown. I would check with them about parking, I believe it is all in a parking garage, not sure about height requirement or ability to handle trailers. Also the traffic and oneway streets can be a little challenging.

Smokin Turkey
05-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Will be there too! Not sure where we are setting up but we are donating a gift cert.

Sledneck
05-14-2009, 02:02 AM
lunchmeat will be there!

I'm so excited for this event! Can't wait to touch base with everyone and start off the summer the RIGHT WAY!...

looks to be a glorious Memorial Day Weekend... right Sled?

20 days...

Eeeeek

Sledcast

Saturday, May 23
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/18.gif
High: 68 °F RealFeel®: 64 °F
Periods of rain

Saturday Night, May 23
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/36.gif
Low: 48 °F RealFeel®: 49 °F
Partly cloudy

Sunday, May 24
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/03.gif
High: 60 °F RealFeel®: 59 °F
Partly sunny

Sunday Night, May 24
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/36.gif
Low: 49 °F RealFeel®: 53 °F
Partly cloudy

Jacked UP BBQ
05-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Fri (http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/achesandpains/wxdetail/USNY1232?dayNum=8)
May 22

http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/34.gif?12122006
Mostly Sunny

71°
52°

20%

.tdBarChart table.tdBarChartTop td p {font-size:13px;} 1 Minimal

Sat (http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/achesandpains/wxdetail/USNY1232?dayNum=9)
May 23

http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/30.gif?12122006
Partly Cloudy

68°
50°

20%

.tdBarChart table.tdBarChartTop td p {font-size:13px;} 1 Minimal

weathers looking fine!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

lunchlady
05-14-2009, 02:43 PM
hey brian... are pets allowed at Roc City? I looked everywhere and saw nothing on the website for or against. (no place near the cooking area, of course!)

another question... what happens if we don't make the 9 p.m. deadline for loading in on Friday (I am nervous of getting out of Mass w/Memorial Day traffic on the Pike)? We just sleep in the van in the parking lot until 6a.m.?

thanks ...
see ya next week!

goodsmokebbq
05-16-2009, 12:11 PM
hey brian... are pets allowed at Roc City? I looked everywhere and saw nothing on the website for or against. (no place near the cooking area, of course!)

another question... what happens if we don't make the 9 p.m. deadline for loading in on Friday (I am nervous of getting out of Mass w/Memorial Day traffic on the Pike)? We just sleep in the van in the parking lot until 6a.m.?

thanks ...
see ya next week!

We'll be there if you don't make the 9pm deadline so no prob. Technically pets are not allowed in the park, if you have to bring a pet you just have to make sure you keep them close.

U2CANQUE
05-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Yes!! Ready to start the NE part of the summer tour....love heading down south to get a few contests in early, but, now it is great to not have to drive 8 hours to get to a contest.....hope that the weather guru spreads some good mojo our way....got a little soaked in Danville this past weekend....will be out there early Friday afternoon.....

jbiesinger
05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Brian, are cars allowed on site?

The weather report I saw literally said that sat was supposed to be "beautiful." any idea of how cold things will get at night being so close to the lake?

We are really charged up about this comp, however I barely touched the smokers since oinktoberfest, so I'm expecting some interesting results.

goodsmokebbq
05-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Brian, are cars allowed on site?

The weather report I saw literally said that sat was supposed to be "beautiful." any idea of how cold things will get at night being so close to the lake?

We are really charged up about this comp, however I barely touched the smokers since oinktoberfest, so I'm expecting some interesting results.

We really need to get the cars out of the area, unless there is a compelling reason, we will have a lot for you after load in (not to far from the comp area). It could be a few degrees colder at night, kind of depends which way the wind is blowing (on shore, off shore). I don't think it will get below 50, professional opinion ofcourse :-D. And I'm sure you will do fine. Watch out for OC he has been on a pretty good run.

Sledneck
05-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Saturday, May 23
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/03.gif
High: 70 °F RealFeelŪ: 69 °F
Partly sunny and beautiful

Saturday Night, May 23
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/34.gif
Low: 47 °F RealFeelŪ: 43 °F
Mainly clear

Sunday, May 24
High: 68 °F RealFeelŪ: 68 °F
Partly sunny and pleasant

Sunday Night, May 24
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/12.gif
Low: 50 °F RealFeelŪ: 46 °F
Mostly cloudy with occasional rain and drizzle late

jbiesinger
05-19-2009, 09:13 AM
We really need to get the cars out of the area, unless there is a compelling reason, we will have a lot for you after load in (not to far from the comp area). It could be a few degrees colder at night, kind of depends which way the wind is blowing (on shore, off shore). I don't think it will get below 50, professional opinion ofcourse :-D. And I'm sure you will do fine. Watch out for OC he has been on a pretty good run.

Its a honda element, we like to catch z's in it,and it makes things easier when pulling out. We got screwed at the 2007 oink when they made us move out cars at night for the charlie daniels band and nobody told us we could move them back in the morning, and they wouldn't let us get our car to the site after awards, we had to haul all our stuff to the far lot! guess we're a little sensitive about that happening again.

I have no expectations for our results, I bulit up some serious mojo last summer and we rode it to 6th at the oink. But now I think the winter froze up my skills. I'm looking forward to getting a good run in for the rib off, hopefully it'll remind me how to cook.

goodsmokebbq
05-19-2009, 09:31 AM
There will be no prob with loading and unloading after the awards. That was a great showing at the Oink, we managed a 11th overall :sad: (darn chicken).

The problem is if I let one car in I have to let everyone and then we have a huge mess in our travel lanes. How about if you can fit it in your space, (20 by 30) strictly, no hanging over the lines (won't be able to move it until load-out Sunday). I guess this makes sense because I am letting trailers and a few small campers. I just want the travel lanes clear for emergencies and for the public to witness the magic :-D.

Thanks!

jbiesinger
05-19-2009, 10:11 AM
There will be no prob with loading and unloading after the awards. That was a great showing at the Oink, we managed a 11th overall :sad: (darn chicken).

The problem is if I let one car in I have to let everyone and then we have a huge mess in our travel lanes. How about if you can fit it in your space, (20 by 30) strictly, no hanging over the lines (won't be able to move it until load-out Sunday). I guess this makes sense because I am letting trailers and a few small campers. I just want the travel lanes clear for emergencies and for the public to witness the magic :-D.

Thanks!

I guess I should have been more specific...are cars allowed on OUR site?

We upgraded to the 20x30 at the oink and had no problem accommodating our stuff and the car.

when's the site map going to be leaked?

at the oink, we got killed in pork. Two top 5's, one top 10, and pork in the 30's...what the???

Right now, I know we can submit better chicken, maybe pork (we are lost with this one, but how could we do worse), the same in brisket, but I haven't been feeling ribs lately. I'll be psyched with another call.

goodsmokebbq
05-19-2009, 10:40 AM
In your site, no problem. others have to be cleared out.

Our oink performance was very similar: 4 ribs, 4 brisekt, 20 something pork, and near the end on chicken. Booo chicken (thats a different thread).

I have the map done, can prob get it out tonight along with prize payouts.

goodsmokebbq
05-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Saturday, May 23
High: 70 °F RealFeel®: 69 °F
Partly sunny and beautiful

Saturday Night, May 23
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/34.gif
Low: 47 °F RealFeel®: 43 °F
Mainly clear

Sunday, May 24
High: 68 °F RealFeel®: 68 °F
Partly sunny and pleasant

Sunday Night, May 24
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/12.gif
Low: 50 °F RealFeel®: 46 °F
Mostly cloudy with occasional rain and drizzle late

Thanks Sled, thats a little more like it!

jbiesinger
05-19-2009, 10:22 PM
I have the map done, can prob get it out tonight along with prize payouts.

Hopefully the view will make up for the hike to the judging area.

dreed
05-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Three mean and a baby back will be there, Enjoying Bourbon street this week and will fly into Newark Wed, and head up to Roc City on Thursday.

goodsmokebbq
05-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Hopefully the view will make up for the hike to the judging area.

The judging area will be 50 feet from the KCBS competitors.

U2CANQUE
05-20-2009, 07:46 AM
phew, such a looooooong walk.....laughs, what happened to cooker friendly?......lol.....thanks for all of the work that you have put into this event, and I think that you are seeing the fruits of your labor.....a great turn out!

jbiesinger
05-20-2009, 08:35 AM
phew, such a looooooong walk.....laughs, what happened to cooker friendly?......lol.....thanks for all of the work that you have put into this event, and I think that you are seeing the fruits of your labor.....a great turn out!

I'll second that. When we were originally looking into this comp, we were getting excited about it when we thought it was just a rib-off. now that's its a full blown kcbs with 40+ teams, we're really impressed.

does that 50 ft count cutting through 8-ball's site? I'll take back everything I told him about not wanting to be too close for fear he'll spy on us.

acorette
05-20-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm putting up the fence right now....

Aaron

jbiesinger
05-20-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm putting up the fence right now....

Aaron

I was wonder when you'd check in. I figured you would be packing...or unpacking.

fence-shmence, pvc and plastic necklaces aren't exactly steel and barbed wire.:-P

ihbobry
05-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Will be mentoring my friends new team, Sanford's Smokehouse Gang. :-D Comming in for saturday after the rib fest.

pigmaker23
05-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars is busy loadin up for the Weekend ! cant wait, only 6 more in NY to go after this one...

pigmaker23
05-20-2009, 03:07 PM
We will have extra parsley for sale on Saturday Afternoon at the contest, i am picking up a case on Friday. Probabaly have enough for 3-4 other teams..

Diva Q
05-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Lots to do still but we are really looking forward to this!!!!

ihbobry
05-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Rumor has it @ 70 teams overall???? :-D

goodsmokebbq
05-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Rumor has it @ 70 teams overall???? :-D

61 total, 41 KCBS and as of right now :-D:-D:-D

ihbobry
05-20-2009, 05:22 PM
61 total, 41 KCBS and as of right now :-D:-D:-D

Those 20 need to dive right in for the KCBS :-D

oompappy
05-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Team Oompappy is ready to load and roll...
See ya at the beach!

U2CANQUE
05-20-2009, 06:43 PM
indeed.....will be there by noonish on Friday....still a little loading to do....

Smokin Turkey
05-20-2009, 07:06 PM
We will get there early Friday. Taking off here Thurs Evening so we can stop anyplace we want to go on the way. Looking forward to seeing everyone! Look for us in the vendor row near the stage.

goodsmokebbq
05-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Those 20 need to dive right in for the KCBS :-D

I have been selling hard, I bet most will move up next year. Should be a good way to nurture new teams. Might see them at other comps this year after they get bitten by the BBQ bug :-D.

ihbobry
05-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Very nice contest. Cannot beat the location, earliest scores I can remember in a while. Well organized from th ecompetitor side of things. Thanks to every one for the help.

Diva Q
05-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Just got home. It was a FANTASTIC place to have a competition. I would really recommend teams try to make it to this one. The setting is on a beautiful waterfront. Terrific wonderful organizers who deserve a lot of praise and thanks for their hard work and dedication to making this event as cook friendly as possible. (Good Smoke BBQ and countless of other volunteers. Within seconds of us arriving a golf cart pulled up and we were handing information on how to get a hold of everyone and some goodies. There were nice clean bathrooms and even showers for teams. The organizers provided ice, and electricity for for free and had all the ammenities like grease and ash buckets everywhere for convenience. The sites were well laid out and clearly marked. We had a really lovely potluck on Saturday night. Lots of terrific food. The awards all ran on time as well. The Reps Linda and Jerry Mullane did a great job yet again at the class and the comps stuff. Kudos to them. On Sunday morning the organizers cooked breakfast for everyone home fries, bacon, eggs, english muffins, more bacon, donuts, and lots and lots of TIM HORTONS COFFEE!!!
We will go back to this comp again !

Tinybud
05-25-2009, 11:32 AM
I agree with everything Diva said, awesome contest. the whole crew that put this on did a fantastic job, we'll be back next year for sure.

SmokeInDaEye
05-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Way to go Mr. Bobo on the RGC! Sounds like a cool contest.

The Anchorman
05-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Way to go Mr. Bobo on the RGC! Sounds like a cool contest.

Alright Eric:!:

Can't wait to hear the details:biggrin:

U2CANQUE
05-25-2009, 06:07 PM
he shigged me all weekend.....that is the whole story......grins.......:biggrin:....only busting chops bud.....congrats to Eric and Mike....and Yabba!!

SmokeInDaEye
05-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Man, wish I could have come and played but I was in LA with Big Mista. Glad it all went well.

The Giggler
05-25-2009, 07:58 PM
he shigged me all weekend.....that is the whole story......grins.......:biggrin:....only busting chops bud.....congrats to Eric and Mike....and Yabba!!
Thanks! There were a few more teammates too - Grace, Angela, Brice, and Allyson.

Congrats to all who got calls!
Eric and Cindy Mitchell of Yabba Dabba Que cooked great. There was a 14 point spread between 1st and 2nd. WTG!

Can't get over how consist you are, and relaxed for a guy flying solo! Great job Rob, and it was great sharing some time.

Especially, thanks to Brian and crew for a totally kick arse contest. Great job!

Great seeing everyone!

pigmaker23
05-25-2009, 08:10 PM
no pictures, didnt happen

Thanks! There were a few more teammates too - Grace, Angela, Brice, and Allyson.

Congrats to all who got calls!
Eric and Cindy Mitchell of Yabba Dabba Que cooked great. There was a 14 point spread between 1st and 2nd. WTG!

Can't get over how consist you are, and relaxed for a guy flying solo! Great job Rob, and it was great sharing some time.

Especially, thanks to Brian and crew for a totally kick arse contest. Great job!

Great seeing everyone!

U2CANQUE
05-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Oh, pictures you want huh?

U2CANQUE
05-25-2009, 08:33 PM
http://<a href=

Smokin Turkey
05-25-2009, 08:55 PM
We (wife daughter and I) had an awesome time meeting everyone and competing ourselves for the first time ever!

We got in Friday and talked to them Ohio boys and Julie at Swamp pit who both talked me into competing for RibFest on Saturday ribs only on THE MINI! .. So I trucked over to Wegman's and got myself a really nice rack of babybacks, got my instructional class from julie on how to pull the membrane, she and skip came up to check in on me and tell me what to do... 4 hours later I turned in my first comp box (skip gave me an excellent class on a RIB box). Out of 62 Rib teams, we came in 26!

Julie watching me light the bugger..
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/hccllc2008/RocCity%20Ribfest%2009/IMG_1911.jpg
Getting ready to throw a rack of ribs on the mini for turn in and a rack on the kettle for us to eat!
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/hccllc2008/RocCity%20Ribfest%2009/0523091152a.jpg
Our site and my daughter being proud of daddy for trying.. :rolleyes:
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/hccllc2008/RocCity%20Ribfest%2009/IMG_1917.jpg
This is the first ever box I did with Skip's help..
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/hccllc2008/RocCity%20Ribfest%2009/IMG_1922.jpg
My box 30 seconds before I turned it in. The picture doesnt give the smoke ring justice. I got mostly 7's 8's and one 9.. I did have a judge less than impressed but oh well.. (he gave straight 6's)
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/hccllc2008/RocCity%20Ribfest%2009/IMG_1923.jpg
Gail getting me turning in before she ran over to get her turn in ready!
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp199/hccllc2008/RocCity%20Ribfest%2009/IMG_1924.jpg

Sledneck
05-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Congrats to the Bobos on the RGC "The greatest BBQ show on earth"

goodsmokebbq
05-26-2009, 08:10 AM
A very big thanks to everyone who came out! Hope to see you all next year. Full results sheets are on our home page http://www.roccityribfest.com as well as our photos. Congrats to Three men and Yabba Dabba and all who got calls.
Thanks again!

U2CANQUE
05-26-2009, 08:34 AM
AGAIN, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, AND YES, THANK YOU!!!! You guys have worked, and it showed, but, man, you better start planning now, because in order to top this one you are going to have to be amazing....now that we know where you set the bar the first year...
Your volunteers, staff, the city, county, sponsors, and the people of Rochester really showed that the event was wanted and they supported it 1,000%. See ya soon....

Smokin Turkey
05-26-2009, 09:45 AM
It really could not have gone off smoother! It was a beautiful location, great people coming in the gates, fun competitors in the "pits", dancing pigs even!

Congrats again to everyone who got called, everyone who organized, and everyone who showed up! We all won!

Westexbbq
05-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Great pics, looks like a really cool contest and congrats to all who competed and to those that walked as well; some great names involved on all fronts.

WannaBeBBQueen
05-26-2009, 01:56 PM
a great contest!! Good times we had a blast:biggrin:

So nice to meet more new faces:biggrin:

goodsmokebbq
08-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Roc City Post Script: Thanks to your support we were able to raise over $8,000! for the Golisano Children's Hospital. Just had to say thanks again, without you this would not have been possible! Just wait for Memorial day weekend 2010!

Nitrofly
08-05-2009, 03:55 PM
No No thank you what a great contest
Brian you and your team did a wicked good job

lunchlady
08-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Fantastic job to all the Roc City people!!! What a great bunch!

This contest is absolutely wonderful, and it can only get better - because the organizers are COOKS too!!!!

See you all in 2010, if not before. And let's try to double that $8000!!!!

BigBellyBBQ
08-06-2009, 08:55 PM
What a great contest, camping on the beach was awesome! The organization was great, you guys had your acts together! You will see us back next year for sure!

Jacked UP BBQ
08-07-2009, 10:46 AM
:icon_clown:icon_clown:icon_clown:icon_clown:icon_ clownWorst comp I have even been too:icon_clown:icon_clown:icon_clown:icon_clown:ic on_clown

I hope you can tell my sarcasm:lol:

dreed
08-07-2009, 08:46 PM
An absolutely hands down great weekend. The first comp I am getting my money too in 2010