PDA

View Full Version : contest trucks

beam boys bbq
04-29-2009, 08:26 PM
whell my f250 has pulled her last contest

i found out i was over weight by twice it pulling

so i am stepping up to an semi

here is my question do i have ot meet all dot requirements to drive this

i was told that as long as i put not for hire on the door and my bbq name on the door it was good to go

I do have my CDL if i do need it but i just wanted your thoughts

york

Plowboy
04-29-2009, 08:28 PM
You are over your two weight by 2x on a 3/4 ton? OMG!!!

beam boys bbq
04-29-2009, 08:52 PM
24,600lbjust ready for an contest
26,000 with water
28,700 water contest and fuel in generator tanks

OMG
that is what the ford dealer said when we did the weight break down
:|

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-29-2009, 08:58 PM
You may be OK with the f250 if you don't haul all the trophies in the trailer.

beam boys bbq
04-29-2009, 09:04 PM
i wish that was the case:rolleyes:

Bbq Bubba
04-29-2009, 09:06 PM
You are over your two weight by 2x on a 3/4 ton? OMG!!!

Got pics of this beast? :shock:

Maybe you need to downsize your rig, not the truck....:twisted:

beam boys bbq
04-29-2009, 09:10 PM
it is an halmark toyhauler
38 feet long
the problem is it is an bumber hitch
the welding shop is redoing the toung to an tracktor plate to fit the semi
the semi was 7000.00 not bad for that big of equipment
and a new toy:mrgreen:

Frank Sacco
04-29-2009, 10:02 PM
I think it's in your best interest to do some research with this one. The Missouri DOT Motor Carrier Services website should answer most of your questions. http://www.modot.org/mcs/index.htm

Rookie'48
04-29-2009, 10:16 PM
I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that the only way you won't need to meet the CDL / Commercial Vehicle requirements is if it is registered as a motor home or recreational vehicle. Putting "Not For Hire" on the truck only means that you are not subject to the PUC or ICC regulations for commercial, or "For Hire", trucks.

ThomEmery
04-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Your Licence requirement is based Vehicle size and number of axles
Yes?
I have a CDL, been driving for years
The new test ( LOL 10 years ago) is really not easy

deathamphetamine
04-29-2009, 10:31 PM
any pics ?

ihbobry
04-30-2009, 06:49 AM
My other hobby (rally racing) forum just went through the whole CDL discussion this link is to page 2 of that discussion where a lot of information started to come out. Might be helpful.

http://specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36335&page=2

The background was a team got caught in MN and had to hire a driver to one way them to Washington State and fly the guy back.

michiana mark
04-30-2009, 12:00 PM
I drove for years for a Drag racing team, that used a semi truck to haul their equipment. This was always a slippery slope, as that the owner never had a CDL license. It was labeled as "not for hire", we never had any problems.

Later he bought a "toter home", which was also labelled as ' not for hire". We would have a little trouble out west, where you had to stop for inspections at state lines. In most cases, the officals didn't know exactly what to do, so they just let you go.

If you have a valid CDL and DOT medical card, as I do, I would't hesitate to use the semi truck. Make sure you clear the cab of any DOT # or Icc markings. Put "not for hire" on the doors, in 3 in. letters and let it go. Always pay the fuel tax when you buy fuel, and carry the receipt with you. A lot of state money in fuel taxes.

sampson
04-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Well, having been a safety director for a trucking company for six years, I can safely say that almost no one is a total expert on interpreting the laws on this matter. But during that time it was my job to enforce the regulations that cover the matter being discussed here. And here's how I understand things.

It's important to understand that while the states issue the license, all of their actions are governed by feds. Namely the FMCSA and DOT. The FMCSA has spelled out all of the rules in a part of the Code of Federal Regulations. In this case it is part 49. Of importance here specifically is 49CFR 383.91 which list what license is required for which vehicle. Also look at 383.3 which list exemptions to these requirements and note that the exemptions are basically for farmers and govt workers. Nothing exempts Q'sters. The requirements for licensing as I understand things are based on the capability of the truck to be used as a commercial vehicle rather than it's actual use as one. So that said, I would advise going into your state DMV and telling them what truck and trailer you will be pulling and they will tell you which license to get. It sounds to me like you will be needing a Class B. Also note that I believe (but ask the DMV guy) that putting the "NOT FOR HIRE" on the side of your truck limits your need to maintain a logbook. But don't quote me on that one... Here's a link to the publication that I'm talking about. http://frwebgate3.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/PDFgate.cgi?WAISdocID=1120674863+5+2+0&WAISaction=retrieve

Also be sure to check with your vehicle licensing entity to discuss the need for IFTA registration. Being as you're not a commercial enterprise, I'm not sure you have to participate but better to find out than to be fined out the arse for not registering.

DeanC
04-30-2009, 12:40 PM
I have problems backing a utility trailer at a comp; a 38 foot trailer and a semi is impressive (at least to me). Congrats.

jbrink01
04-30-2009, 02:35 PM
I have problems backing a utility trailer at a comp; a 38 foot trailer and a semi is impressive (at least to me). Congrats.

A semi is easier to back than a boat trailer! When I was in my last year of college and a year after, I hauled produce. My interview went like this (I aint making it up); Jeff, can you back a hay wagon - yep. Can you back a boat trailer - sure. Your hired.

stlgreg
04-30-2009, 02:42 PM
York, would love to see your wife's face when she found out you are buying a Semi

Jorge
04-30-2009, 04:05 PM
I want pics of that trailer!:mrgreen: I want to see 12+ tons of fun!

Seriously, I'd take a look at a new trailer before buying a tractor and all the extra maintenance costs etc.... A brake job on my 1 ton is quite a bit more exepensive than any 1/2 ton I've owned even if I do it myself. I can't put a semi on jack stands in the driveway to save on labor either.

More power to you if that's what floats your boat!:mrgreen::mrgreen: Bigger might not always be better, but it's almost always cool!:wink::mrgreen:

beam boys bbq
04-30-2009, 06:21 PM
here is what i have been talking about

the trailer weight 18,000. with nothing in it at all

york

widespread
04-30-2009, 06:49 PM
What's that made of... structural steel and lead ingots? I've got a 35' toy hauler 5'er that weighs a little over 8k empty.

beam boys bbq
04-30-2009, 07:09 PM
i bought her off e bay the guy was an film producer for NASCAR it has an 17,000. watt generator in it 7foot by 7foot deck on top two ac unites bath room shower couch that flips out to an bed -bunk beds sleep 5 -26 in flat screen tv computer stero system in it 6 sets of speakers
and an full kitchen three hole sink water heater prep table oven large spice wine trigger grill cambros and two 18 gallon tanks for fuel and 75 gallons of fresh water 18 gallons of black water and 55 gallons of greay water i built her from ground up it is my love:rolleyes::icon_shy

beam boys bbq
04-30-2009, 07:11 PM
the axels are 10,000 lb
the frame is 2in by 12 in square tubing 3/8 thick walls
the rv shop said they have never seen one this well built and reinforced
but the weight came with it

Bbq Bubba
04-30-2009, 07:26 PM
She's a biggun!
Got any pics of the inside?

beam boys bbq
04-30-2009, 09:16 PM
i don't think i do but i will have to take some

york

Chuckwagonbbqco
04-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Paint everything John Deere green and letter it Jim Beam Farming Company. Then you can get away with anything

sampson
05-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Now that we've seen it, I gotta say that I'm surprised that your 250 lasted with that beast for even one trip:eek:

pigpen269
05-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Why don't you just buy a 350 or 450. I guarantee a 450 will pull it just fine and you won't have to worry about the DOT.

pigpen269
05-01-2009, 11:56 AM
You might want to take it to a scale sometime and get it weighted. If you wern't having any problems with the 250 pulling it just get bigger tags for your truck. i can't imagine it weights 18000 LBS. My F250 doesn't like to pull 10,000. Theres no way it would pull anywhere near 18000.

early mornin' smokin'
05-01-2009, 12:02 PM
the 250 will definitely pull that weight, its just a matter of how long you want your transmission, rear end and transfer case to last. My friend has a dodge 1500 with the hemi and routinely pulls 22,000lbs. Thats a bobcat with tracks, bucket, backhoe attachment and trailer. with everything he has in that trailer, and the fact its not a POS towbehind toyhauler, but a real commerical trailer tells the story about the weight, it was probably towed by a toter motorhome in the firstplace.

jbrink01
05-01-2009, 03:03 PM
York,
Another option would be a used 1 ton stake body. All kinds of them available right now. Ask Haslag about using a pintle hook instead of the 5th wheel plate. May get that done more cheaply.

PatioDaddio
05-01-2009, 10:24 PM
That's a monster! I think I could cut the kitchen out of my house, enclose it on a trailer, and still not hit 18K pounds.

John

smooookin
05-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Just trade the ford for a CHEVY DURAMAX.

LOUMAFF3
05-02-2009, 07:01 AM
That is one nice rig. Try converting it to a fifth wheel or goose neck. The highway ride is a lot better with that kind of weight. I have a 2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4, 8.2L with the Allison 5 speed trans. It tows a goose neck dump trailer with a bobcat. The rig together loaded with tools is about 25K. The truck gets the job done and drinks a boat load of gas while doing it. The truck started towing the trailer with 100k and know has 125k. Still going strong.
Good Luck!

beam boys bbq
05-03-2009, 07:53 PM
it has been to an weight station and it does weight all of the weights that i posted i went to ford and even the f750 is still to small to pull it on weight

the welder is choping the toung and making an truck plate hook up for the tracktor to hook on to it the tracktor is rated for 50,000 lb pull rate so i have my ass covered i have modot number and i will call them to marrow and see what they say

york

Muddy River Boy
05-03-2009, 09:16 PM
York,

I admire the brass. GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!:shock:

Good luck with the semi.

Clint

beam boys bbq
05-04-2009, 08:35 PM
here is what MODOT said to day for personal use you must have the name of the bbq team on the door and the town and state you are from
then how much your plates are for on the door and not for hire on the bottom

you have to have an CDL c or higher
loge book will get you out of weight station faster and back on the road
and you have to be the owner of the whole thing other wise you are in violation

york

jbrink01
05-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Sounds good. When u gonna be on the road?

beam boys bbq
05-05-2009, 01:41 PM
asap:rolleyes::-D

LOUMAFF3
05-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Lets see the RIG!

beam boys bbq
05-05-2009, 06:50 PM
the bank has not got back to me yet it passed dot inspection
so we are getting there slow

voodoobbqIL
05-05-2009, 09:16 PM
A couple of things to keep in mind on a rig that size. The licensing is not reciprocal in every state if you plan to just run around MO then you should be OK but some states require a special permit for a vehicle that size even if you plate it as an RV. The log book thing is also a problem since technically you would be considered "on duty not driving" at a contest you would be in excess hours before you got behind the wheel. Then parking is a biggy too since most contests are 20 x 30 or similar. But legally yes you can do it with an entry level class C license and "private carrier not for hire" on the door. Maybe you should call Craftsmen Industries in St. Charles, they specialize in mobile marketing displays and have lots of experience in trailer mods and proper tow vehicles

beam boys bbq
05-18-2009, 08:43 PM
whell here she is i picked her up to day now the welder has her to fit them to geather

york

Plowboy
05-18-2009, 08:52 PM
York, get a damn electric jack! That thing's gotta be a PITA.

Plowboy
05-18-2009, 08:53 PM
You might as well put a generator on the back of that thing like Sweet Chipotle.

beam boys bbq
05-18-2009, 09:01 PM
there is one in the trailer all ready i am thinking big water tank :rolleyes:

Solidkick
05-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Good golly son! With the payments, taxes, licensing, insurance....are you going to be able to afford an entry fee for the next 7-10 years? Now I like the fact that your wife and my dance partner will be traveling in style....but you'll have to be the 1st one in and the last one out at most contests just to accomodate the size of the rig.
I will admit you have one hell of a set up though! We should all go to Talledega for a week with you.......

Balls Casten
05-19-2009, 08:14 AM
I'd be checking the junk yards (truck) for a take off sleeper. If you're going to bumper hitch the trailer. You have a lot of space behind the cab.

CivilWarBBQ
05-19-2009, 05:24 PM
If you end up having to get a CDL don't forget that the DUI level is a whole lot lower for CDL holders than for regular drivers. At least here in Georgia, CDL holders are considered to be DUI if they are behind the wheel of ANY motorized vehicle (yes even a lawnmower) and test out at .04%, half of the level required for regular license holders.

Bottom line is one beer can get you in trouble with a CDL.

FatBoyz
05-19-2009, 08:15 PM
you need to redgester it as a rv that is legal and then you dont have to have any speachal lic. it is also cheeper to redgester it to