PDA

View Full Version : A Little Different.. Advantage ot Disadvantage

roksmith
04-23-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm beginning preparation for my first KSBC sanctioned event and have a quick question.

All of the pics I've seen appear to use a tomato based sauce on ribs and chicken.

The sauce I've developed over the years is a Georgia/Carolina sweet golden mustard based sauce.

If I use my mustard based sauce, will it be judged harshly becasue it's not "normal", or does judging criteria allow for different types of sauce?

This will be the first year for this event, so I have no idea where the judges will be coming from...and there is no previous results to look back to.

I guess what I'm asking is..should I continue to tweak my current sauce, or throw it out and for competition sake, develop a tomato based sauce?

Jacked UP BBQ
04-23-2009, 09:06 AM
I have tried everything, I mean everything. Sweet sauce red in color in my region does the best.

The Giggler
04-23-2009, 09:14 AM
roksmith (KCBS # 32129),

As you are a certified judge, you are aware that each entry is to be judged on its own merit. As a competitor, you are free to choose any style of sauce.

I would hope that if you turned in a golden bbq sauce on ribs, that your entry would receive an impartial critique. I would also hope that as a certified judge, you would also impartially judge any chicken or rib entry with a tomato based sauce.

Good luck whatever you decide!

roksmith
04-23-2009, 09:21 AM
..sorry..not a judge...just a member
..should I indicate that differently in my signature?

I would also hope that the sauce would be judged on it's own merit, but I do not know...that's why I'm asking..

The Giggler
04-23-2009, 09:38 AM
..sorry..not a judge...just a member
..should I indicate that differently in my signature?

I would also hope that the sauce would be judged on it's own merit, but I do not know...that's why I'm asking..

EACH entry should be judged on its own merit. For me, I stick with the basics. Too far out of the norm, and you increase your risk of getting clobbered. :biggrin: (Wasabi Glaze Mod) - I'll go to the penalty box now.... :icon_blush:

You may want to add Member to the number.... I really thought that was a judge number. Bad assumption on my part.

Let us know what you decide!

ique
04-23-2009, 09:50 AM
I guess what I'm asking is..should I continue to tweak my current sauce, or throw it out and for competition sake, develop a tomato based sauce?

Don't make it harder for yourself in your first contest. I would not use the mustard sauce. Find some success using flavors more traditional to competition bbq and then maybe try working in your mustard sauce down the road.

roksmith
04-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Sig changed..
I think I will stick with my mustard based as it's what I've used for years....at least for this year..but based on what I've seen here, I'll probably leave out the little "kick" of cayanne and maybe increase the sugar content just a touch.

I was debating on going with the Alabama white sauce for my chicken...I may stay away from that..may be a bit too different...

Transformer BBQ
04-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Unless this contest is in South Carolina... don't use the mustard sauce.

The white sauce is less extreme than mustard sauce... if you want to be outside the box for one category... use the white, not the mustard.

Finney
04-23-2009, 10:02 AM
My sauce does well at KCBS events and not as well (but still good) at SCBA events. It is a very non-tradtional sauce that has 'some' vinegar (but isn't vinegar based) and has no tomato in it. (no mustard either)

If you truly like your sauce, use it. But that's just my opinion.

Double D's BBQ
04-23-2009, 11:15 AM
I would hope that your sauce would be judged fairly on its own merits but as an experienced competitor I would not in a hundred million years think of doing this at a KCBS contest especially one in the Midwest. Also heat will be frowned on as well. Remeber at KCBS contests, a good rule of thumb is Sweet Beats Heat! I understand where you are coming from using your homemade sauce and commend you for it but I think you will be hurt in the judging if you do that.

Just a friendly word of advice.

Best of luck to you at the contest.

Dallas

U2CANQUE
04-23-2009, 12:02 PM
The selfish side of me, since I am competing there too, is to say, Sure, go ahead, use it.....but, then the practical comes in and says, well, mustard does not do well up in this part of the country....agrees with previous advice, if you were going to step out of the "norm" in a catagory, maybe white sauce on chicken....though everyone around you may love it, remember, the task at hand is not to please 6 judges (though that would never hurt), but, instead to not tick off 2 of them......see ya down there!

roksmith
04-23-2009, 12:43 PM
I saw you were signed up... along with Kevin Black.
I haven't turned in my app yet...but it's coming.
I may still waiver on my position.
I'm sure at the least, I'll start working on a red sauce as I prefer red on Brisket for sammies anyway.
I refuse to use anything bottled though..so if I go red, it will be something I come up with on my own.
It's all about the fun of the weekend in any event.....and I'm sure that will be a success!

U2CANQUE
04-23-2009, 01:02 PM
look forward to meeting ya down there....

Divemaster
04-23-2009, 01:21 PM
I saw you were signed up... along with Kevin Black.
I haven't turned in my app yet...but it's coming.
I may still waiver on my position.
I'm sure at the least, I'll start working on a red sauce as I prefer red on Brisket for sammies anyway.
I refuse to use anything bottled though..so if I go red, it will be something I come up with on my own.
It's all about the fun of the weekend in any event.....and I'm sure that will be a success!
I wish you luck... As you know, it's not easy... If I may, can I offer you a couple of suggestions???

1. Find out what 'bottled' sauces are winning... At least you'll have a profile to shoot for.

2. Remember, the judges are not going to eat the whole piece of meat that you turn in... If they did it would come to about 3 pounds of meat over the four turn-ins... If you are lucky, they may take a second bite.

3. Remember that the food is not going to be 'pipping' hot when they try it and sauces can change flavor when they cool down.

I really do wish you luck... I, like you refused to use bottled sauce until we were handed out hat on a number of occasions..

roksmith
04-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I really do appreciate everyone's input. I'm here to learn.
If I thought I had all the answers, I'd have started my own site instead of joining yours.

I will certainly be giving a more conventional sauce a few runs thru Brutus in the upcoming weeks to see what I can come up with.

U2CANQUE,
I look forward to meeting you and I'll be sure and throw an extra slab or two in the box so you can sample my Mustard Q.
I do live in Marietta, so if you have any questions before hand or need anything when you get here, feel free to ask away..

U2CANQUE
04-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Oh, for personal use, I love to try different....by birth I am a northwestern NC boy.....so it is in my blood to use vinager in my sauces.....but, just found that, much like most other things, have to cook to the crowd that will be putting the ink to the judges slips.....
I will probably head down either late thursday, or, really early friday.....as more teams get in I will probably work on getting together a pot luck dinner or something like that....always a great way to relax and get to meet some of the teams before stress time.....

Ford
04-24-2009, 07:09 AM
If I use my mustard based sauce, will it be judged harshly becasue it's not "normal", or does judging criteria allow for different types of sauce?
As a judge I understand the rules. As a cook I know that most judges are opinionated and are use to and expecting sticky sweet red stuff on their food. I was told years ago by a rep that I finished almost DAL with a great brisket because it didn't have sauce. At KCBS I use sauce on brisket.

Do yourself a favor and buy some competition sauces from Hawgeyesbbq.com. I suggest slabs, smoking guns - both, blues hog - both and see what is winning.

I would hope that your sauce would be judged fairly on its own merits but as an experienced competitor I would not in a hundred million years think of doing this at a KCBS contest especially one in the Midwest. Also heat will be frowned on as well. Remeber at KCBS contests, a good rule of thumb is Sweet Beats Heat! I understand where you are coming from using your homemade sauce and commend you for it but I think you will be hurt in the judging if you do that.

Just a friendly word of advice.

Best of luck to you at the contest.

Dallas
Pretty much right on except for heat is good in a sauce nut it needs to be masked by sweet. I take commercail competition sauce and cut with honey.

And Dallas and I both know that butter and honey are your friends in a KCBS midwest contest. Now if only I can get both his pit and Buds painted tonight in a nice Spartan Green the world would be right.

roksmith
04-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Now if only I can get both his pit and Buds painted tonight in a nice Spartan Green the world would be right.

I would sooner paint it Spartan green than the baby crap yellow of that other team from up there.
Now Brutus is up for a new paint job this season, but I'm sure the scheme will remain scarlet and grey. I may listen to BBQ advise...but not when it comes to college sports.

..besides how could a smoker named Brutus possibly be green?

I'll especially take any midwest specific experience with open ears.
Thanks all

Roksmith

Harbormaster
04-24-2009, 09:23 AM
My sauce ... is a very non-tradtional sauce that has 'some' vinegar (but isn't vinegar based) and has no tomato in it. (no mustard either)
I didn't see you in my kitchen when I developed my sauce.:biggrin:
Mine also has vinegar, it's red, it's sweet and tangy with a little bit o heat, but has no tomato in it. I'm going to try a variation of it this year. Could be interesting.