PDA

View Full Version : Teams that use WSM smokers....

GratefulSmoker
04-16-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm just curious to how many teams out there use WSM smokers? Be it just for an individual category or for all for. We are thinking about buying a 22 and an 18. Those two smokers together would be more room than the smoker that we are presently using to compete. Thanks guys!

Sledneck
04-16-2009, 08:03 PM
I compete with 2 18" wsms and typically have a 3rd one for reserve if I need it but rarely end up using it.

MilitantSquatter
04-16-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm not sure on what the % is across the country but from what I've seen over the past few years, I think it would be fair to say a minimum of 10% of teams are using a WSM(s) in some capacity.

For a while I was using an offset (ribs/chicken) and 2 WSM's (brisket/butts) at comps

Alexa RnQ
04-16-2009, 08:17 PM
We use 4 WSMs.

NotleyQue
04-16-2009, 08:30 PM
I use 2 WSMs and sometimes 1 WSM and 1 UDS.

GratefulSmoker
04-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Wow, quite a few of you guys use them. We just had our first child so the budget is blown, but its worth it :) So, the WSM seems to be a great choice for us. Do any of you haul them with an enclosed trailer? Or just haul them in the back of your trucks? Thanks guys!

Alexa RnQ
04-16-2009, 09:08 PM
We haul all our gear in a borrowed 5'x8' box trailer!

Sledneck
04-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Wow, quite a few of you guys use them. We just had our first child so the budget is blown, but its worth it :) So, the WSM seems to be a great choice for us. Do any of you use them with an enclosed trailer? Or just hall them in the back of your trucks? Thanks guys!
I fit my entire comp setup in my ford e250 cargo van, at night its empty and I inflate my aerobed and sleep in it. Works for me

musicmanryann
04-16-2009, 09:14 PM
WSMs are the perfect entry level smoker, but some teams are so successful with them they never upgrade. We use 3 WSM's and love em. Because they are small and breakdown into pieces, they are easily transportable. I just throw em' in the back of my burban away we go! You should definitely join the club!

NotleyQue
04-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Wow, quite a few of you guys use them. We just had our first child so the budget is blown, but its worth it :) So, the WSM seems to be a great choice for us. Do any of you haul them with an enclosed trailer? Or just haul them in the back of your trucks? Thanks guys!

I used to load up the back of my best friend/teammates truck with all of our gear.

I just bought a 5x8 enclosed trailer and I haul all of my stuff in that now.

GratefulSmoker
04-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Alright, while I'm asking a million questions lol....do you all think that one 22, one 18 and one Kettle would be enough room? We have been using a couple small cheap backyard smokers and the kettle, and have done well...but, the cheapos are falling to pieces due to the number of cooks on them.

Sledneck
04-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Alright, while I'm asking a million questions lol....do you all think that one 22, one 18 and one Kettle would be enough room? We have been using a couple small cheap backyard smokers and the kettle, and have done well...but, the cheapos are falling to pieces due to the number of cooks on them.
Yes it will be sufficient.

SmokeInDaEye
04-16-2009, 09:32 PM
I use and will continue to use 3 18 inch wsms. Easy to transport, I dont have to touch them, and I do alright with them. I have a 22 inch wsm somewhere too that I will use for practice but not for comps.

GratefulSmoker
04-16-2009, 09:36 PM
SIDE, it was actually your video on YouTube that made me think about competing with WSMs. I like your set up very much. Might just try to copy it :)

Kosmo's Q
04-16-2009, 09:39 PM
We use a 18" and 2 kettles. I have a back up 18 that I also take.

Sledneck
04-16-2009, 09:40 PM
SIDE, it was actually your video on YouTube that made me think about competing with WSMs. I like your set up very much. Might just try to copy it :)
And he is the reigning NY State champion to boot:cool:

Lion Bout The Q
04-16-2009, 09:42 PM
I use my WSM for chicken at every comp..and most of my cooking at home..luv it,.

BigBarry
04-16-2009, 09:45 PM
We use 2 WSMs (and will have a 22" WSM after WilliePallooza!!!) and love them. We could use a third but two works.

SmokeInDaEye
04-16-2009, 09:54 PM

Ah cool. Send me any questions you have but you can't go wrong. I built my trailer specifically around 18 inch wsms. They're light to tow, don't take up much space, and you don't have to baby sit them.

nthole
04-16-2009, 10:54 PM
We use 3 WSMs.

Ashmont
04-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Celtic Nation uses two but looking for a third! Never can have too many..... Oh I have a herd of kettles that get a rotation so they dont get lonely an we eat a great breakfast...

Greatgrills
04-16-2009, 11:29 PM
We know a team that cooks on 4 wsm and he has won 2 grands. The funniest thing is to watch him pull up at a contest. They have a minivan and take all the seats out in the back and pack everything in there..So when they pull up to a contest all they have to do is open the back hatch and unload:-P

BBQ_Mayor
04-17-2009, 06:38 AM
I started off using nothing but WSM's. Worked great.
I still have one. Can't let let it go, it's just too good of a cooker.

ihbobry
04-17-2009, 06:46 AM
3 wsm & 2 kettles

Kosmo's Q
04-17-2009, 06:49 AM
loading the new 6x14 enclosed trailer as we speak for a comp in Enid, Ok

GratefulSmoker
04-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Good luck this weekend over in Enid Kosmo! Are you doing Bixby this year? It's an awesome even't!

For you guys that have the new 22.5...where is the best place you have seen on the net to buy them? I have found a couple places on the net and after shipping it's about 400.00, I just wanted to make sure that's normal. Thanks again!

Sledneck
04-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Good luck this weekend over in Enid Kosmo! Are you doing Bixby this year? It's an awesome even't!

For you guys that have the new 22.5...where is the best place you have seen on the net to buy them? I have found a couple places on the net and after shipping it's about 400.00, I just wanted to make sure that's normal. Thanks again!
$20 here--->http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60107

musicmanryann
04-17-2009, 08:44 AM

I defintely think you can squeeze all your meet into those cookers for a comp. Use the 22 for your briskets and butts, the 18 for your ribs and if the big meats aren't resting before you're ready to throw the chicken on use the kettle for chicken. Should work great.

There are many teams that are very successful using WSMs. I know of at least two brethren teams that were invited to the Jack last year using WSMs--Rhythm n'Que and Virginia BBQ Pirates. I'm sure they weren't the only WSM teams there either.

Stoke&Smoke
04-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Last year we used 3 18" WSM's, and an 18" smokie Joe Platinum.
This year we have added a 22" WSM, so may leave one or two of the smaller ones home.

early mornin' smokin'
04-17-2009, 11:29 AM
last year we used an pro q excel 20, its like a big wsm, 3 levels thou. This year we will be using that and an offset weber performer made from a kettle and a performer.

MrsBigBarry
04-17-2009, 12:30 PM
We've transported our WSMs in the back of our pickup or in rental trailers. Now that we've bought a used trailer in which we plan to hold items that don't need to be taken out after each comp, we'll likely transport the WSMs in the back of the pickup.

ihbobry
04-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Barry (and Mrs.) have a nice set up for his WSM's that I have not seen many other places, maybe he can share? (the inverted tubs)

SmokeInDaEye
04-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Here's the video of my setup in case you're interested. I'd change nothing on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hCD9xck7ZE

swamprb
04-17-2009, 10:36 PM
This was my setup at the Evergeen State Championship at Alki Beach in Seattle, Sept. 09
All Webers-3 WSM's and a Kettle.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Alki/ALKI%2008/100_2966.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Alki/ALKI%2008/100_2964.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Alki/ALKI%2008/100_2969.jpg

I hauled it all in a Honda CRV and a P/U bed trailer. This year I have a 5x8 enclosed trailer.

Bullets are very popular here.

Spydermike72
04-18-2009, 07:13 AM
We will be using an 18" WSM and a UDS this year...

Trainwreck
04-18-2009, 08:13 PM
I use a wsm a excel 20 and a uds. allways have a kettle with just in case. if money is an issue you cant beat the wsm's

Alexa RnQ
04-18-2009, 09:13 PM
if money is an issue you cant beat the wsm's
Or weight and space when hauling. It was such an easy way for us to get started. I'm still waiting to see if WSMs are like a gateway drug.

Coz
04-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Our first two contests we did we used a pair of WSMs for chicken and were 8th and 10th.Then for our third contest we tried something different 23rd....

Chipper
04-20-2009, 11:36 AM
We will be using one for chicken.

The Giggler
04-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Or weight and space when hauling. It was such an easy way for us to get started. I'm still waiting to see if WSMs are like a gateway drug.

That's really funny! We started with a WSM and a small, borrowed offset. Six months later I ordered a custom Klose Mobile.

WSMs, and UDSs, are so versatile - they are tough to beat.

Kosmo's Q
04-20-2009, 05:39 PM
This is a great topic! I am getting ready to start building a cart that will hold 2 WSM's and 2 Swing out Kettle's. I absoluty love this set up. And I started with a custom lang alike (which was bad a@#).

Sledneck
04-20-2009, 06:38 PM
This was my setup at the Evergeen State Championship at Alki Beach in Seattle, Sept. 09
All Webers-3 WSM's and a Kettle.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Alki/ALKI%2008/100_2966.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Alki/ALKI%2008/100_2964.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Alki/ALKI%2008/100_2969.jpg

I hauled it all in a Honda CRV and a P/U bed trailer. This year I have a 5x8 enclosed trailer.

Bullets are very popular here.Wow that is the neatest and most organized site I have ever seen, Even the stuff in the drawers looks perfectly placed. Scary! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Alexa RnQ
04-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Well, if we're displaying A/C setups... :mrgreen:

Here's the units ready to go to work:

http://www.rhythmnque.com/2008modesto/er2.jpg

And if you turn around, you see the Inner Sanctum:

http://www.rhythmnque.com/2008modesto/er5.jpg

Our setup has remained essentially unchanged. It evolved as our cooking did, and at this point we know who needs to be where when, and how to keep out of each other's way (and from stabbing anybody).

ov1
04-20-2009, 07:15 PM
We use a WSM for chicken.

Sledneck
04-20-2009, 07:27 PM
We use a WSM for chicken.Any success?

ov1
04-20-2009, 07:41 PM
We have only cooked in 5 contests, but we got a 3rd at Owensboro last fall and 11th at Clarksville, Tn at our first event this year so it has worked out pretty well for us.

Ottie

Sledneck
04-20-2009, 07:48 PM
We have only cooked in 5 contests, but we got a 3rd at Owensboro last fall and 11th at Clarksville, Tn at our first event this year so it has worked out pretty well for us.

OttieCool, reason I am asking because since I suck at chicken I was hoping you could help me out :biggrin:

ov1
04-20-2009, 07:51 PM
I would love to but my teammate cooks the chicken because I really suck at it too!

chromesporty
04-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Every comp we make, we have a WSM on the trailer with the reverse flow. Since using the WSM for chicken, we have placed 7th, 10th, 7th, 5th, 13th at Meridian out of 156 teams, 8th and 9th. Total of 11 comps. I luv my WSM.

musicmanryann
04-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Well, if we're displaying A/C setups... :mrgreen:

Here's the units ready to go to work:

http://www.rhythmnque.com/2008modesto/er2.jpg

And if you turn around, you see the Inner Sanctum:

http://www.rhythmnque.com/2008modesto/er5.jpg

Our setup has remained essentially unchanged. It evolved as our cooking did, and at this point we know who needs to be where when, and how to keep out of each other's way (and from stabbing anybody).

I know a lot of people on here get trailer envy, I think I now have set-up envy. That set-up looks cleaner than most commercial restaurants! Is that an outdoor carpet you have there? Where did you get it? I feel like you posted this elsewhere before, but where did you get the screened curtains--enough to close you off without isolating you--I love it!

GratefulSmoker
04-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Wow, I never thought this thread would get this many contributions. After reading everyones comments and seeing the pics...I am going to buy a new 22.5 tommorow!

Sledneck
04-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Every comp we make, we have a WSM on the trailer with the reverse flow. Since using the WSM for chicken, we have placed 7th, 10th, 7th, 5th, 13th at Meridian out of 156 teams, 8th and 9th. Total of 11 comps. I luv my WSM.
So then youre the one that can help me with chicken?:biggrin:

Alexa RnQ
04-20-2009, 11:38 PM
I know a lot of people on here get trailer envy, I think I now have set-up envy. That set-up looks cleaner than most commercial restaurants! Is that an outdoor carpet you have there? Where did you get it? I feel like you posted this elsewhere before, but where did you get the screened curtains--enough to close you off without isolating you--I love it!
Thank you, sir! That's a 9'x18' RV awning mat, and it makes all the difference on some of the surfaces we've set up on (rvawningmats dot com). It adds a bit of koosh underfoot, takes about anything dropped on it, water goes right through it, and when it comes home it gets a quick pressure-wash on the driveway and it's all fresh again.

The screen room was required for vending by the health department at that venue, it has two windows that roll up and velcro for serving. It came from Caravan, item number 01209 described as 10' netted food walls w/window kit, and a year ago it was $60. We used it that once, and I don't think we've used it again since.

We travel table- and shade-heavy, but we're old and need our comfort. :mrgreen:

chromesporty
04-21-2009, 12:34 PM
So then youre the one that can help me with chicken?:biggrin:

As long as it's a fully jointed half chicken served on texas lettuce, then I'm the guy.

SmokeInDaEye
04-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Diva, I noticed you use a table to rest thermometers. Anyone ever seen any kind of rack with hooks or magnets to attach to the sides of the WSMs to hold them? Like a shelf with magnetic attachments? Seems like a natural product.

musicmanryann
04-21-2009, 04:41 PM
My Dad welded a piece of sheet metal to the top of a 2 foot long piece of rebar that we plan on staking into the ground and sticking our polders to them--although ths would not work on concrete. WE learned our lesson at our first comp when we had like five strewn about and one of them found the bottom of my shoe and was no more.

Diva, I noticed you use a table to rest thermometers. Anyone ever seen any kind of rack with hooks or magnets to attach to the sides of the WSMs to hold them? Like a shelf with magnetic attachments? Seems like a natural product.

Alexa RnQ
04-21-2009, 05:51 PM
SIDE, what's not obvious from that photo is that in the center of all that debris is a Stoker unit. We've always used the little tables, because we need a flat surface to park the Stoker on -- plus food pans, squirt bottles, silicone brush, etc etc ad nauseam. The probes in the cookers plug into the Stoker, and the food gets checked with the superlative BLACK Thermapen.

Needless to say, there's a little too much going on there to hang from anything magnetic, but I bet some inventive type here will have one before the next comp. :mrgreen:

The Giggler
04-21-2009, 08:21 PM
We travel table- and shade-heavy, but we're old and need our comfort. :mrgreen:

What's old got to do with comfort? I'm 35 and really like table space, shade, comfort, and.... Oh.... :shock: maybe I am getting old.

Nice setup. Thanks for posting the product info on the canopy and screen.

GratefulSmoker
04-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Hey Diva, We just purchased a new WSM 22.5 today and am interested in going with the Stoker also. How has it worked out for you?

Clint, do you use the stoker also?

Thanks!!

Alexa RnQ
04-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Love, love, love, LOVE the Stoker. How has it worked for us? Let's just say that we used it all last season, and our record speaks for it.
We haven't used it with a 22.5, because at the beginning of the season we evaluated our cook routine and space/haul requirements and said, why fix what works? We bought another set of 18s. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif
VQ can comment more fully here on the technical aspects of Stoker use, since he is the Glorified Firetender. I'm just the Goddess of Magic Flavors.