BBQ_Mayor
04-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Smokehouse 72 will be there.

Buster Dog BBQ
04-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Buster Dog BBQ will be there.

musicmanryann
04-16-2009, 01:43 PM
BIG T'z Q CRU will be there. Looking forward to meeting all you brethren!

Smokin' Joe
04-16-2009, 01:50 PM
We are planning on it...looking forward to it

WineMaster
04-16-2009, 04:54 PM
You guys better help me out as it will be this Competition Virgins first time.
Be gentle.

Buster Dog BBQ
04-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Be gentle.
Most com virgins are required to provide the beer Friday night.:-P

Coz
04-16-2009, 08:53 PM
I may drive over for a visit.I had wanted to compete but that isnt going to work out for this spring.

BBQ_Mayor
04-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Be gentle.

Your going to have a great time. This is a fun contest, one of my favorites.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything.

musicmanryann
04-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Your going to have a great time. This is a fun contest, one of my favorites.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything.

Agreed on the having fun thing, although I have not cooked this contest before.

I will also be more than willing to help you out if I can with anything, but only if you come to our site with a bottle of 2005
Bordeaux. :twisted::wink:

WineMaster
04-17-2009, 10:21 AM
A question I have is do people ever stay over on Sat night? Then take off on Sunday morning at comps. Whe group im comming with is my wife and 3 of her cousins and their husbands. We camp together 3-4 times every summer and they allowed me to pick the first place we went this year. Little did they know what I had up my sleeve but we are all looking forward to it now.

BBQ_Mayor
04-17-2009, 10:29 AM
A question I have is do people ever stay over on Sat night? Then take off on Sunday morning at comps. Whe group im comming with is my wife and 3 of her cousins and their husbands. We camp together 3-4 times every summer and they allowed me to pick the first place we went this year. Little did they know what I had up my sleeve but we are all looking forward to it now.

Most people typically don't but some do.

Turk and his family usally stays over at this one.

Get a hold of Perry Vining and see if he can set you guys all together.

musicmanryann
04-17-2009, 10:33 AM
I think we may try to stay overnight. A four hour drive is a little far when you are that tired after a competition.

WineMaster
04-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Agreed on the having fun thing, although I have not cooked this contest before.

I will also be more than willing to help you out if I can with anything, but only if you come to our site with a bottle of 2005
Bordeaux. :twisted::wink:

Wine is what I do for a living, Im sure there will be plenty of wine to go around. I will be sure to bring some Bordeaux. Not 2005

musicmanryann
04-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Wine is what I do for a living, Im sure there will be plenty of wine to go around. I will be sure to bring some Bordeaux. Not 2005

Looking forward to it! I have a couple of bottles in my cellar that are begging to go on the trip as well...

Shotgun
04-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Most com virgins are required to provide the beer Friday night.:-P
Hey, I think you owe me a beer.

BBQ_Mayor
04-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey, I think you owe me a beer.

Make that 2 Buster.:rolleyes:

afreemaniii
04-18-2009, 07:02 PM
I may drive over for a visit.I had wanted to compete but that isnt going to work out for this spring.

Come on over Coz, Freeman Brothers BBQ will be there.

The Turk
04-18-2009, 08:39 PM
The Bavarian BBQ Boys and our Groupies all 25 of them Stay over Saturday night along with Grandpa Cheese and several others so plan on staying! Its a great setting at the county fairgrounds. See everyone there!

The Turk
04-18-2009, 08:41 PM
By the way - BBQ Council - then some other name - now smokehouse 72, how about My Country Smoker is on Fire where is Turk to get my money Back BBQ Team!

BBQ_Mayor
04-18-2009, 08:45 PM
By the way - BBQ Council - then some other name - now smokehouse 72, how about My Country Smoker is on Fire where is Turk to get my money Back BBQ Team!

Hey, I never asked for my money back.. That CS still runs like a champ, matter o fact, I'm firing up in the morning. See ya in MIM Turk.

Coz
04-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Come on over Coz, Freeman Brothers BBQ will be there.

If it works out I will be up.If you need any help let me know.

FatBoyz
04-19-2009, 05:33 PM
coz call jeff my brother he is going to that one he might need help

Smokin' Joe
04-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Sent my app in this week. Are you guys doing the peoples choice wings?

WineMaster
04-23-2009, 12:51 PM
I think we are, What are the rules for Desert? Do they also go in the styrofoam turn in boxes?

Buster Dog BBQ
04-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Make that 2 Buster.:rolleyes:
That was approved for 2009. Sorry guys.

BBQ_Mayor
05-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Looks like a bunch of brothers going to this one. You all want to get together Friday nigth for a night cap or 10?

musicmanryann
05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Looks like a bunch of brothers going to this one. You all want to get together Friday nigth for a night cap or 10?

I'm in!!:biggrin:

Buster Dog BBQ
05-05-2009, 10:00 AM
sure

WineMaster
05-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Talked to Perry yesterday. 60 Teams so far. He said I could bring a portable fire pit. We'll be drinkin round the fire. All are welcome. Be bringing at least a case of wine. Its in the name.

Dan

musicmanryann
05-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Talked to Perry yesterday. 60 Teams so far. He said I could bring a portable fire pit. We'll be drinkin round the fire. All are welcome. Be bringing at least a case of wine. Its in the name.

Dan

60 teams!!?? Sounds like its turning out to be a heck of an event! Hopefully the weather will cooperate--I'm really looking forward to it!!!

I'll bring some wine also.

BBQ_Mayor
05-05-2009, 12:30 PM

Dan

Cool. The spot is selected. Everybody meet at the winemasters spot.:wink:.
Its that cool with you Dan? What time? 8'ish? earlier?

I'll bring some wine from one of our sponsors. White Oak Vineyards (http://www.whiteoakvineyards.com/). (shamless plug, I'll go to my room):mrgreen:

WineMaster
05-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Howabout a Brethren Bean Bag Tourney on Friday sometime????? Any of you play?

BBQ_Mayor
05-05-2009, 12:46 PM

A little Bagg'o? Sounds like fun.

musicmanryann
05-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Well I know how to throw and I know how to aim bags at holes, so it shouldn't be a problem.:biggrin:

SexyRussianLady
05-05-2009, 01:04 PM
My friends and I are coming from NYC and its our first BBQ contest. Any suggestions for things to do?

Just Pulin' Pork
05-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Can I make a request. Can someone please take pics and post them. This contest is one I would love to visit, but not this year! Would love to see what it looks like!

Shotgun
05-05-2009, 01:16 PM
My friends and I are coming from NYC and its our first BBQ contest. Any suggestions for things to do?
Other than great BBQ and good friends, check out the Spam museum.

Shotgun
05-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Can I make a request. Can someone please take pics and post them. This contest is one I would love to visit, but not this year! Would love to see what it looks like!
We post are Pics on our website so just check in once and while browse.

Just Pulin' Pork
05-05-2009, 01:20 PM

Will do thanks!

Just Pulin' Pork
05-05-2009, 01:23 PM

BTW your blog is awesome. Very well done!

musicmanryann
05-05-2009, 02:30 PM

So do we! :biggrin:

Smokin' Joe
05-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm in for any sort of get together...not a big wine guy, but I always have plenty of cold beer and a bottle of Gentleman Jack handy :lol:
It will be great to meet everyone, it looks like many our our paths will cross several times this summer.

For anyone that is doing the peoples choice, do you know if we have to provide our own chaffing dish or will a foil pan work????

Porker's Pit
05-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Aesop's Table the Porker's Pit will be there

musicmanryann
05-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Has anyone received registration confirmation from Perry yet? I haven't and just wondered if I should bother contacting him. Thanks!

Smokin' Joe
05-11-2009, 08:46 AM
I didn't either and I noticed my check wasn't cashed so I sent him an email....he got it and did say that he hasn't cashed any checks yet...

I also asked about the peoples choice...if you are particiapting you will need to provide your own chafing dish heated with 2 cans of sterno.

See you all on Friday, I will be pulling in mid-morning. Looking forward to the 18 mile drive (beats the hell out of the 400 miles for that last one!)

musicmanryann
05-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Yoo must leeve up der in dat der nordern' Iohwa!

I didn't either and I noticed my check wasn't cashed so I sent him an email....he got it and did say that he hasn't cashed any checks yet...

I also asked about the peoples choice...if you are particiapting you will need to provide your own chafing dish heated with 2 cans of sterno.

See you all on Friday, I will be pulling in mid-morning. Looking forward to the 18 mile drive (beats the hell out of the 400 miles for that last one!)

Smokin' Joe
05-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Yoo must leeve up der in dat der nordern' Iohwa!

Yauh, Sure, you-betcha...you better get practiced up on yur minnesotan der eh...:lol:

WineMaster
05-11-2009, 01:21 PM
So are you guys Cyclone or Hawkeye fans, They both suck, lol, but which one do ya follow.

musicmanryann
05-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Go Hawks! The Cyclones are the worst part of living in Ames, lol!

You must be a Golden Glorified Rats fan, if you think the Hawks suck. ;-)

Smokin' Joe
05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Go Hawks! I don't think i could live in Ames for that very reason :)

BBQ_Mayor
05-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Cyclone fan here. I'm not cocky enough to walk in the hawk shoes.:rolleyes:

Although, ever year of cyclone football gets me closer.:eek:

WineMaster
05-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Go Hawks! The Cyclones are the worst part of living in Ames, lol!

You must be a Golden Glorified Rats fan, if you think the Hawks suck. ;-)

Can some-one give me an A-Men.

BBQ_Mayor
05-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Any body here going to have their kids entered in the kids Q as well?
My son is going to do it this year.

FatBoyz
05-12-2009, 07:09 AM
hay can ya'll do me a favior? my brother in law and part time partner will be there could you guys go over to him and say howdy please !!!!! his name is Jeff and he is there with Rylee and rayray his daughters! his team name is Big Daddy...thanks guys

WineMaster
05-12-2009, 10:00 AM
hay can ya'll do me a favior? my brother in law and part time partner will be there could you guys go over to him and say howdy please !!!!! his name is Jeff and he is there with Rylee and rayray his daughters! his team name is Big Daddy...thanks guys

N.P. I sm looking forward to meeting everyone. We will be pulling in in the 10:00 area. Picked out a case of wines to bring this morning. Now I just have to learn to cook.

Dan

Buster Dog BBQ
05-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Any of you doing the Spam contest? I just saw they now make Spam hot dogs.

BBQ_Mayor
05-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Any of you doing the Spam contest? I just saw they now make Spam hot dogs.

MMMM..Spam hot dogs.

Don't think were doing the spam Rod. I'd be willing to sample your entry for you.:mrgreen:

Buster Dog BBQ
05-12-2009, 01:45 PM
MMMM..Spam hot dogs.

Don't think were doing the spam Rod. I'd be willing to sample your entry for you.:mrgreen:
Not doing it either. Spam free almost 40 years and will stay that way.

musicmanryann
05-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Anyone know if we are on pavement or grass/dirt for this? NOAA right now is forecasting 50 percent chance of showers Friday afternoon...

BBQ_Mayor
05-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Anyone know if we are on pavement or grass/dirt for this? NOAA right now is forecasting 50 percent chance of showers Friday afternoon...

It's kind of a crap shoot. Some is on pavement and some is on grass. I'd say most will be on grass.

musicmanryann
05-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Well either way I'm bringing my rubber boots and rain gear just in case. I saw a thread a couple of months ago of comps that looked like a monsoon went through them. It freaked me out!

Smokin' Joe
05-14-2009, 10:05 PM
The weather looks like its going to be a challenge....25 mph winds, rain, and 55 degrees is some trifecta from hell:twisted:

Bring your warm clothes, see everyone tomorrow

good luck!!

Smokin' Joe
05-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Well that was an adventure...the weather was as bad as promised and it was the least cooks friendly/organized event I've been to. I thnk they were trying, just not prepared for the number of teams they had (71 teams).

Congrats to Buster Dog on first place pork, Wine & Swine on their first call in their first comp with 6th place pork, and the rest of the brethren that got calls.

thenewguy
05-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Can anyone post results?

The Turk
05-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Hey Smokin Joe - your right the amount of teams and the fact that Perry took over this contest on short notice cought us off guard. We (MN BBQ Society) jumped in to help but it got behind. We will be better prepared next year and will talk to the weather man about that crap we all had to cook in, misarable at best. Why couldn't we have todays weather Yesterday! Thanks for coming hopefully see you next year.

The Turk
05-17-2009, 03:57 PM
There was a problem with the KCBS computer so results are somewhat delayed. Check in at KCBS.us for the final results. Top 5 overall - Iowa's Smokey D's - Grand, A Boy and his BBQ - reserve, THe Heat is on 3rd, Four Mile Fred 4th, Bavarian BBQ Boys 5th, pending.

Smokin' Joe
05-17-2009, 04:21 PM
I kinda wondered about that, it was still a good comp and we will be back next year. I know Perry was working his butt off,, just missing a few of the little things, maybe were just spoiled:lol:

Amen on the weather, I'm sure it could have been worse...I'm just not sure how:icon_smil

Are more of the results we got yesterday incorrect?

Hey Smokin Joe - your right the amount of teams and the fact that Perry took over this contest on short notice cought us off guard. We (MN BBQ Society) jumped in to help but it got behind. We will be better prepared next year and will talk to the weather man about that crap we all had to cook in, misarable at best. Why couldn't we have todays weather Yesterday! Thanks for coming hopefully see you next year.

The Turk
05-17-2009, 04:30 PM
The results that you have are mostly correct, sort of. We will have to wait for the official kcbs website.

BBQ_Mayor
05-17-2009, 07:09 PM
All I can say is, it wasn't Cambridge, Mn. Now that was some crap weather.:icon_sad
What was that, about 5 years ago I'm thinking?

WineMaster
05-17-2009, 08:40 PM
It was great meeting all you guys, weather sucked, but what do ya do. I got a call last night about 9:30 from Perry telling me I didnt really get 6th and that I needed to send the check back. I did still get 7th but seems like The Heat is on moved up quite a bit in position from the sheets we got. Our sheets say they got 6th overall they were behind me in Pork by .0002 and now they move up 3 spots?????? Oh well it was great to meet you all and we'll see ya at the next one.

Dan

thenewguy
05-17-2009, 10:15 PM
WOW! that's gotta really suck for everyone! Sorry to hear about the snaffu.

BBQ_Mayor
05-18-2009, 06:17 AM
It was great meeting all you guys, weather sucked, but what do ya do. I got a call last night about 9:30 from Perry telling me I didnt really get 6th and that I needed to send the check back. I did still get 7th but seems like The Heat is on moved up quite a bit in position from the sheets we got. Our sheets say they got 6th overall they were behind me in Pork by .0002 and now they move up 3 spots?????? Oh well it was great to meet you all and we'll see ya at the next one.

Dan

Asking for money back?:shock:. Wow, thats mighty bold of them.

Maybe our brisket moved up.:mrgreen:. That thing was spot on and deserved a better score than it got.

Great meeting you Dan. Good wine you have there with some killer lables.
You have a website a person could order your wine from?

See ya down the road.