PDA

View Full Version : ancillary: steak

ulikabbq
04-02-2009, 11:39 AM
I am cooking at a comp in a few weeks that has an ancillary category for steak. I have been contemplating serving pre-sliced steak or steak medallions. What are your thoughts?

The Pickled Pig
04-02-2009, 12:31 PM
I've not done a steak contest so take what I say accordingly. I would think a sliced steak would have a better appearance than medallions. It could be arranged in the box in such a way that a judge can see the grill marks on the exterior but also see the delicious pink interior.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-02-2009, 02:57 PM
I would seriously consider doing a TRex ribeye with Montreal Steak Seasoning on that Big Green Egg fitted out with a cast iron grate. Present it sliced and spritz with au juice just before turn-in. Hard to imagine steak much better than that.

Jacked UP BBQ
04-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Depending on the comp and the judges I have two routes for steak. I have a hearty porter house or a squared off whole sliced tenderloin. If sauce is allowed, I only use one for the tenderloin and it would be a redwine bearnaise. For the porter house I mount it with flavored butters. The type of steak is up to you, that is just my opinion. FYI - I tried a skirt steak with chimmichurri and it was awesome but it bombed with the judges.

Squeeze
04-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Rob....I think you should do some Swiss Steaks boiled in gravy and onions..... :)

MilitantSquatter
04-02-2009, 10:54 PM
I entered steak three times... Each time I prepared and presented the exact same way and was fortunate to finish 3rd place or better at each...

Squared off NY strip, sliced relatively thin at a slight angle, and put in the box diagonally.

As far as flavor - a long time in a ziplock bag with olive oil, a splash of worstershire sauce and a ton of chopped garlic & fresh rosemary.. a med coating of coating of Dizzy Pigs Raising the Steaks (similar to Montreal Steak Seasoning but better)... before the box gets closed a coating of warm butter and high quality salt.

musicmanryann
04-03-2009, 12:45 AM
I entered steak three times... Each time I prepared and presented the exact same way and was fortunate to finish 3rd place or better at each...

Squared off NY strip, sliced relatively thin at a slight angle, and put in the box diagonally.

As far as flavor - a long time in a ziplock bag with olive oil, a splash of worstershire sauce and a ton of chopped garlic & fresh rosemary.. a med coating of coating of Dizzy Pigs Raising the Steaks (similar to Montreal Steak Seasoning but better)... before the box gets closed a coating of warm butter and high quality salt.

That sounds so good, my mouth is watering,and I've already eaten dinner and I am not hungry.:wink: