PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR "BBQ Shootout Series"

Sledneck
04-01-2009, 08:59 PM
http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=103202

Procter & Gamble and AstraZeneca's heartburn remedy -- Prilosec OTC, which sponsors driver Jeff Burton -- will also fire up a "BBQ Shootout Series" at six NASCAR Sprint Cup races this year. With portions of proceeds going to support the three-year-old NASCAR Foundation, the Shootout will feature award-winning BBQ Pit Masters from around the country competing for prize money.

<>p> Fans will have the opportunity to taste the BBQ at $10 a plate, meet Burton and other drivers, and win tickets to upcoming NASCAR races. Prilosec OTC has also teamed up with local Walmart stores to hold in-store events the Wednesday or Thursday before each Shootout. The sessions will feature cooking demonstrations, food samplings, autographs from drivers, a chance to win tickets to that weekend's race, and heartburn screenings.
Prilosec OTC suggests that frequent heartburn sufferers who want to enjoy the BBQ start taking the medication two weeks before the event they are attending.
NASCAR fans who can't attend the BBQ Shootouts in person can get a taste at home as Prilosec OTC has teamed with raceway owner Speedway Motorsports and Speed TV to air segments of the competitions.
Prilosec OTC's BBQ Shootouts will launch on Sunday at Texas Motor Speedway, Ft. Worth, Texas. Other locales are Richmond (Va.) International Raceway (May 2), Lowe's Motor Speedway, Concord, N.C. (May 24), Indianapolis Motor Speedway (July 26), Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway (Aug. 22) and Atlanta Motor Speedway (Sept. 6).
Winners of the BBQ Shootout Series will be determined by an independent, blind-judging process that is used by the Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS), a non-profit that sanctions BBQ events nationwide.
GlaxoSmithKline's heartburn remedy, Tums, meanwhile, is one of the participants in another KCBS event, the second annual Great American BBQ Tour. Touching down in 25 locations through October, the tour also features Tabasco's Chipotle Pepper Sauce, Kingsford Competition Briquets, Weber Grill Creations and Scott Shop Towels. Next stop on the tour is Friday and Saturday at the Porkin' in the Park festival in Clarksville, Tenn.

Sledneck
04-01-2009, 09:00 PM
http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=105570&newlang=&topic=11&catid=14

Sledneck
04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/retail/prilosec-otcr-fires-bbq-tour-nascarr-fans/

Sledneck
04-01-2009, 09:04 PM
www.BBQShootoutSeries.com (http://www.BBQShootoutSeries.com)

http://www.bbqshootoutseries.com/bbqshootout/images/the.jpg
Pit Masters
Competitive BBQ teams from around the country such as Lotta Bull BBQ, Wood Chicks BBQ, The Texas Rib Rangers, Great Grills O' Fire, and Rhythm 'n Que will press the level of quality BBQ higher and higher at each and every Shootout.

MilitantSquatter
04-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Who would have thought that heartburn remedies would be so eager to partner with BBQ ?

Prilosec sponsoring this event and Tums being a KCBS sponsor of the BBQ tour.

I thought this line was funny..

Prilosec OTC suggests that frequent heartburn sufferers who want to enjoy the BBQ start taking the medication two weeks before the event they are attending.

I guess this will boost consumption..

Rub
04-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I got an invite, but was unable to commit. :mad:
Those guys will have fun and I wish them all luck!

Plowboy
04-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Another great move by MMA to get this going... oh, but wait, it was invitational only... not open to all members. How did they pick who'd get an invite?

This was mentioned by MMA at the KCBS banquet and sounded exciting. Not very exciting when you don't get a chance to participate.

It's all about big names and big money... here we go! I need a big sponsor to get me an invite, I guess.

Fat Woody
04-01-2009, 10:15 PM
I wonder if it'll look something like this:

http://apexfoto.smugmug.com/photos/503746294_NMV2P-M.jpg

I think he needs a hotter fire, there's a lot of big white smoke rollin' outta that thing!:mrgreen:

homebbq
04-02-2009, 05:51 AM
Another great move by MMA to get this going... oh, but wait, it was invitational only... not open to all members. How did they pick who'd get an invite?

This was mentioned by MMA at the KCBS banquet and sounded exciting. Not very exciting when you don't get a chance to participate.

It's all about big names and big money... here we go! I need a big sponsor to get me an invite, I guess.

Todd, I'm not sure what was the qualifier to get invited, I even met the guy at Lakeland this year. I guess Rub can shed a little light on this for us on how they picked those that got an invite.

I would have thought my record was good enough for at least a little consideration.

Finney
04-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Kevin, They probably heard the rib podcast you did for BBQCentral about two of years agao and figured you hung out with a bad crowd. :redface:

homebbq
04-02-2009, 06:55 AM
Kevin, They probably heard the rib podcast you did for BBQCentral about two of years agao and figured you hung out with a bad crowd. :redface:

lol.. :-D You may be right Finney!

Divemaster
04-02-2009, 06:56 AM
Should be interesting in Texas. Just last night I sent a bunch of Q down for some of the teams (unfortunatly Burton wasn't one of them). Maybe they'll put in a good word for me.

Merl
04-02-2009, 07:15 AM

MMA is not involved in this program and very distant from any part of it.

This is a program by Prilosec and Nascar. They met with folks at Lakeland. They had some contacts with Texas Rib Rangers, Dr. BBQ and talked to Lotta Bull. It went from there. Yes it is only invitational. There is talk next year about some open competitions if this year pays off.

This is what we wanted for KCBS a national brand. We have been given a gift to go with a program which will put our name out as the premier national bbq organization. This is great for KCBS and will be good for all members in the future, I hope.

Merl

watg?
04-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Looks like a great idea to me.

Sledneck
04-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Looks like a great idea to me.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Giggler
04-02-2009, 07:45 AM

This is a program by Prilosec and Nascar. They met with folks at Lakeland. They had some contacts with Texas Rib Rangers, Dr. BBQ and talked to Lotta Bull. It went from there. Yes it is only invitational. There is talk next year about some open competitions if this year pays off.

This is what we wanted for KCBS a national brand. We have been given a gift to go with a program which will put our name out as the premier national bbq organization. This is great for KCBS and will be good for all members in the future, I hope.

Merl

When Sledneck posted this last night, it immediately had appeal to me. I was very disappointed to see that it is by invitation only. Its great that KCBS is getting its name out there on a national stage like NASCAR. However, "invitation only" contests like this seem to exclude the vast majority of the members who brought KCBS to where it is today.

Divemaster
04-02-2009, 07:46 AM

Merl
As do the rest of us...

Sledneck
04-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Sucks because I am a huge NASCAR fan and would of loved the opportunity. DO big names in BBQ really make any difference to the typical Nascar fan? If you you weren't a BBQ competitor or a regular on a forum such as this one wold you have any clue who a Mike Davis is?

ThomEmery
04-02-2009, 08:08 AM
From what I was told there is a Peoples Choice element to this
Teams will be cooking or have someone they trust cooking BBQ for the crowd

Jorge
04-02-2009, 08:22 AM
It's also a series as I learned yesterday. I'd think that you'd have to commit to the majority of events or arrange for a suitable replacement. Tom is also right, that you need to be able to vend at $10/per plate. I hadn't planned on it, but I ended near the Walmart where Mike Davis was doing his appearance yesterday. He had his pit going, and another large cooker that I suspect was borrowed or provided to manage feeding the masses. He got there early to set up, and had to remain for several hours....in what was about to become a madhouse. I hauled ass to get out of the parking lot for ground zero of NASCAR mania!

For a first year invitational event to test the waters, I don't see a problem with being selective and taking the best resume possible. Just about every name I've heard has some credentials. If I'm Prilosec, I'm looking at that. I'm also looking at putting on a show for the fans. I think I'd rather have them see the big motorhome with pull behind rig, than me pulling up in a truck and unloading a couple of WSMs and EZ-UP.

This is about business, promoting BBQ, and KCBS. I'm fine with the way they've chosen to start.

musicmanryann
04-02-2009, 08:25 AM
I think this is a great idea for all the reasons everyone stated above. What would be great to do with the invitational thing is to eventually have something like the PGA does and have qualifying rounds. In fact, the PGA actually calls it the "Q" School--that sounds perfect to me. :wink:

Divemaster
04-02-2009, 08:43 AM
It's also a series as I learned yesterday. I'd think that you'd have to commit to the majority of events or arrange for a suitable replacement. Tom is also right, that you need to be able to vend at $10/per plate. I hadn't planned on it, but I ended near the Walmart where Mike Davis was doing his appearance yesterday. He had his pit going, and another large cooker that I suspect was borrowed or provided to manage feeding the masses. He got there early to set up, and had to remain for several hours....in what was about to become a madhouse. I hauled ass to get out of the parking lot for ground zero of NASCAR mania!

For a first year invitational event to test the waters, I don't see a problem with being selective and taking the best resume possible. Just about every name I've heard has some credentials. If I'm Prilosec, I'm looking at that. I'm also looking at putting on a show for the fans. I think I'd rather have them see the big motorhome with pull behind rig, than me pulling up in a truck and unloading a couple of WSMs and EZ-UP.

This is about business, promoting BBQ, and KCBS. I'm fine with the way they've chosen to start.

Jorge brings up a number of good points especially when you add in Merl's.

This is a first year event put together by sponsor companies and not the KCBS or MMA... It is their choice as to whom they invite and not up to us to tell them how to do it... These companies are using this event to advertise the products they make, it's their money... No offense to Jorge, but if I was waiting to see a big BBQ/NASCAR event and saw as Jorge put it "me pulling up in a truck and unloading a couple of WSMs and EZ-UP" I would be very disappointed and that would reflect directly on the products and the sponsors...

It is my hope that they make this an open event next year and that the invitational events this year is just a foundation for the future.

Plowboy
04-02-2009, 08:45 AM

Merl

So this was NOT the Nascar affiliated event that MMA talked about at the banquet?

watg?
04-02-2009, 08:51 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:mad::mad::mad:

Jacked UP BBQ
04-02-2009, 08:57 AM
They will not be able to go backwards, once they put on a huge show with trailers and large vending set ups, that is what everyone is going to expect from here out. If this works I am sure they will always keep it the same, so if your rig isn't pulled by a MACK, don't plan on ever attending. jmo

Sledneck
04-02-2009, 08:57 AM
So basically it is a KCBS licensed event and not a sanctioned event

Jorge
04-02-2009, 08:58 AM
. No offense to Jorge, but if I was waiting to see a big BBQ/NASCAR event and saw as Jorge put it "me pulling up in a truck and unloading a couple of WSMs and EZ-UP" I would be very disappointed and that would reflect directly on the products and the sponsors...

Thanks for pointing out my poor choice of words. I believe there is a team involved that does cook on WSMs, and my understanding of their past accomplishments is that they are very qualified.

In the world of NASCAR with the huge transporters, oceans of RVs, etc. a gathering of EZ-UPs would be very underwhelming to most folks. That's closer to what I should have said.

I'll stop now, since I don't have any more feet to insert in my mouth.

Sledneck
04-02-2009, 09:01 AM
I would think the general public would want good food and could care less about the rig

Jacked UP BBQ
04-02-2009, 09:11 AM
I would think the general public would want good food and could care less about the rig

I agree 100%, i am sure that the people they have are giving them both.

The Giggler
04-02-2009, 09:21 AM
It is my hope that this Series becomes a come one, come all event. If they want to hire big teams to vend in a parking lot - that's fine. I certainly understand business and promotion.

If vending and promoting products to race fans is the objective here, what does this have to do with KCBS Sanctioned cookoffs? Does a $10 BBQ plate served by a Great Competitor in a parking lot want to make me join the KCBS and start cooking in competitions or judging?

"By Invitation Only" has such an elitist ring to it, and doesn't reflect the grass root supporters of the KCBS, or NASCAR for that matter. That's all I am saying.

As far as the resume, I guess I have my work cut out for me. That's okay, because I want to earn an invitation to the shows (mostly Jack and AR). If the criteria is based on the rig, I guess I better get to work buying a fancy rv and a slick pit.

Scottie
04-02-2009, 09:30 AM
I had the connections, but I guess I didn't have what they looked for either. Must be my rig isn't big enough....

From a KCBS member point of view, I don't know how this is good for us? It's limited to who is invited and how do we as members benefit? Especially when deserving teams are overlooked for teams that know somebody?

Now just to declare everything... Even if I did get an invite, I am not sure if I could of made them all anyway. So I hope that these select teams show up at all of the events, or it will be holding others from the membership down.

I know I would of loved to have hung my Cancer Sucks! banner at a NASCAR event. Maybe I need a marketing company? So next year I can be more deserving.

Sledneck
04-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks for pointing out my poor choice of words. I believe there is a team involved that does cook on WSMs, and my understanding of their past accomplishments is that they are very qualified.

In the world of NASCAR with the huge transporters, oceans of RVs, etc. a gathering of EZ-UPs would be very underwhelming to most folks. That's closer to what I should have said.

I'll stop now, since I don't have any more feet to insert in my mouth.Man I feel like such a loser now pulling up in my 99' ford van with 195K on it packed to the roof with 3 wsm, 2 second hand ezups, coiple of coolers and boxes full of crap:icon_blush::tongue:

Divemaster
04-02-2009, 09:36 AM
They will not be able to go backwards, once they put on a huge show with trailers and large vending set ups, that is what everyone is going to expect from here out. If this works I am sure they will always keep it the same, so if your rig isn't pulled by a MACK, don't plan on ever attending. jmo
I don't think they would work backwords either... If it were me, I would see the future to be an open event and ALSO the 'big show' as well as vending...

I could see it as a Friday/Saturday Open with the GC/RGC moving on to compete with the big boys... I think that would be cool... JMHO...

Rub
04-02-2009, 10:13 AM
I don't know all of the specific criteria they were looking at when working on invitations. I do believe having the ability to vend, your ranking, and having a visually appealing setup was a big part of it. Having a monster rig pulled by a Mack is not a requirement, trust me. They were also looking for a commitment which involved a lot of travel and a lot of time. Must arrive and be ready to sell by Thursday morning, can't leave until Sunday. And the spots they are setting up on is prime real estate according to what I was told. The same spots the teams will be using are sold to commercial vendors for around $40k for the event. With that in mind it would be pretty prohibitive to have an open division as it is now.

IMO to see this in a negative light is a little short-sighted. How can exposing competition barbecue to hundreds of thousands of people in a weekend be bad for our "sport" or whatever it is we call it? I don't get it...

Alexa RnQ
04-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Ummm.... hold on a second. I just went and looked -- What is our team name doing on their website?

The Alzheimers seems to have gotten ahead of me there for a minute :shock:

ique
04-02-2009, 10:28 AM

The Nascar crowd, really? I would think they'd be more interested in the rig.

Jacked UP BBQ
04-02-2009, 10:32 AM
The Nascar crowd, really? I would think they'd be more interested in the rig.

I think they would like that JAMBO

Jorge
04-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I think they would like that JAMBO

There is more than one at TMS this week.

Divemaster
04-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Ummm.... hold on a second. I just went and looked -- What is our team name doing on their website?
Congratulations, you may have already one of our fabulous prizes.....

Jorge
04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
I hope they don't have too many EZ-UPs out at TMS today. The home weather station just recorded a gust of 62 MPH, and sustained winds have been in the high 20-30 MPH range.

Edit: And unfortunately for me, the wind isn't out of the north....since I'm driving down to San Antonio later.

Plowboy
04-02-2009, 12:49 PM
I get it. I work for a marketing company who works on behalf of companies/brands like Prilosec to organize events like this. It is about using a venue and something of public interest to generate product/brand awareness. Being a BIT (I'm on the IT side of our business.) behind the scenes I understand how something like this would come about. The money comes from the the CPG and they call the shots. They care less about BBQ and more about their product/brand. They shape the event based on their perspective, not ours.

It could be worse, I guess. At least they are working with KCBS so that our organization gets some promotional opportunity. That American Bass Anglers series decided to go another direction and just use our rules and system without even consulting our organization. There should be more outrage about that, IMHO.

I'm happy for everyone who got invited. There are several friends in that list, and I'm happy for them. Because NASCAR related events were mentioned by MMA at the banquet, I thought MMA and KCBS were more active in working this deal. Under that assumption, I would have hoped that they would be working for more inclusive opportunities. According to Merl, this wasn't an MMA gig. I don't know how this came about, but I wish the series and everyone success.

bob n humble
04-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Wonder if they are going to need any judges. We will be there for the races this weekend anyways.:-D

Hot-Nas Kookers
Humble TX

drbbq
04-02-2009, 01:33 PM
IMO to see this in a negative light is a little short-sighted. How can exposing competition barbecue to hundreds of thousands of people in a weekend be bad for our "sport" or whatever it is we call it? I don't get it...

I'm with you Rub.

This is the kind of small thinking that restricts the growth IMO. The "What's in it for me?" attitude. KCBS didn't dream this up to screw the little guys. They simply reacted to a good opportunity.

I helped these guys to make the best of what they had to work with and while I chose not to attend this one I am rooting for it to be a big success. With enough high profile events like this maybe more guys would get real sponsors and then there'd be more events like this and more teams would be there and they'd get more sponsors and so on.

But that's just the way I look at it.

YankeeBBQ
04-03-2009, 07:58 AM
I've been told there are some very unhappy teams at this event and that some almost picked up and went home. 9 teams are 1/2 mile from turn in while 3 are are steps away. 9 teams are stuck in no mans land some trying to vend and make money while 3 teams are at the front gate licking their lips with the thought of the thousands of people that have to pass them.

stlgreg
04-03-2009, 02:34 PM
I am glad they didnt leave, could have made us all look bad.

acorette
04-03-2009, 07:26 PM
...I guess I better get to work buying a fancy rv and a slick pit.

Sold the Klose a little too soon, eh?

You'll have to see my new 8-ball RV at Oinktoberfest... :biggrin:

The Giggler
04-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Sold the Klose a little too soon, eh?

You'll have to see my new 8-ball RV at Oinktoberfest... :biggrin:

Yeah, I guess I'm Busch League now.... :roll: Me and my Backwoods Piglet....

Hopefully we'll see that new RV at Roc City Rib Fest and Boston Hills BBQ Fest!

The Giggler
04-03-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm with you Rub.

This is the kind of small thinking that restricts the growth IMO. The "What's in it for me?" attitude. KCBS didn't dream this up to screw the little guys. They simply reacted to a good opportunity.

I helped these guys to make the best of what they had to work with and while I chose not to attend this one I am rooting for it to be a big success. With enough high profile events like this maybe more guys would get real sponsors and then there'd be more events like this and more teams would be there and they'd get more sponsors and so on.

But that's just the way I look at it.

Here's a look at it from a small guy with small thinking: This BBQ Series doesn't represent a true blue KCBS comp where you complete an entry application, send it your check, and compete fairly and anonymously against the rest of the field. It is a show for elites, based on an undiclosed criteria for participation.

No one can debate the exposure that NASCAR brings to the table. If this is about entertainment and showmanship, in similar fashion to the All Star BBQ Challenge on Versus a few years back, then fine - present it as entertainment and vending. That show definitely brought exposure to our sport. (I don't remember who won - I remember learning from the competitors, and the bantor and comments of the competitors during judging). It was fun to watch, indeed. It did not represent our sport.

What this BBQ Series is not, is an accurate depiction and presentation about what the KCBS is or what a sanctioned competition is. Any time there's an invitational without a qualification process, the KCBS has to expect some dissent among its membership. Afterall, this excludes the general membership, while at the same time is supported by the membership's dues - all under the precept that this is all for our benefit.

drbbq
04-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Afterall, this excludes the general membership, while at the same time is supported by the membership's dues - all under the precept that this is all for our benefit.

I can't say for sure but I would guess that KCBS isn't supporting this at all with our dues and they're probably making a few bucks.

The Giggler
04-04-2009, 09:38 AM
I can't say for sure but I would guess that KCBS isn't supporting this at all with our dues and they're probably making a few bucks.

I had a few Jack and Coke Zero's last night.... mostly Jack. :rolleyes: I've dismounted the high horse.

I rescind my comment about the dues being used. And yes, KCBS is probably making a few bucks at this.

To be clear - I don't have any problem with promoting the show.

arlieque
04-04-2009, 05:13 PM
It is my understanding this is a Competitor Series contest that isnt even sanctioned. They are looking at sanctioning within the guidelines of the CS the other contest. The people who helped put this together need a congrats! KCBS will get there logo to many more people. Congrats to the organizers, teams who helped in Lakeland guiding them and KCBS. I am sure since Carolyn Wells is at the event any problems will be worked out!

Arlie

Tarheel
04-05-2009, 06:49 AM
While our name was thrown around, we did not get the invite. I am happy for those that did. After talking to Tommy yesterday thats ok. Its not the best orginized event and sounds like they have a lot to learn about putting on a competition. Hopefully it will lead to bigger and better things for all of us when it comes to competing with bbq. Best of luck to all of them out there.:-D

The Virginian
04-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Which teams have been chosen to compete in this series?

Brett

Sledneck
05-02-2009, 05:32 PM
For the last 2 days a few of the Nascar programs have done small segments on the shootout series. Yesterday on nascar now they interviewed Richard Childress and he had some knowledge talking about Pork was more carolina and beef was texas . I was disapointed that they only showed the area and did not go near the cooks. Right now on Nascar raceday on Speed channel they just did a segmanet talking about it and had Tuffy(cool smoke) set up in the backround. They talk about how the que is free and they interview Jeff Burton and he says his favorite is Mike Davis, The "tool" rutledge who is interviewing jeff burton spent more time talking about the color of jeffs car and other non sense.

PatioDaddio
05-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know who won the BBQ event in Richmond today? I have looked everywhere and I hear nothing but crickets. Should it be this hard to find out who won?

John

drbbq
05-02-2009, 09:24 PM
There wasn't a contest at Richmond, just 2-3 teams doing the Prilosec thing. There might have been a people's choice judging though.

PatioDaddio
05-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks, Ray. I was under the (obviously mistaken) assumption that there was a contest at each of the event dates. I appreciate the clarification.

John

Coz
05-02-2009, 11:12 PM
They did show a peoples choicevoting.I did not see who won.

Just Pulin' Pork
05-02-2009, 11:23 PM
It was 3 teams. Mike and Debbie Davis (Lotta Bull) Tuffy Stone (Cool Smoke) and a team from Chesepeake VA. She has competed for 13 years. I did not catch her name or her teams name. I for one am interested in seeing where this goes. I find it ironic that 2 years ago at the KCBS Convention in KC, it was mentioned " they want to make competition BBQ like NASCAR." They make it like NASCAR and this sport/hobby will get real limited on teams, because some of us will not be able to afford it!

VA BBQ PIRATES
05-03-2009, 07:31 AM
The Chesapeake team was the Wood Chicks. Lee Ann also did a pulled pork throwdown with Bobby Flay last year.

Tom

Just Pulin' Pork
05-03-2009, 09:10 AM
The Chesapeake team was the Wood Chicks. Lee Ann also did a pulled pork throwdown with Bobby Flay last year.

Tom

Thank you!

voodoobbqIL
05-03-2009, 04:40 PM
There was talk of doing this as a webisode program and then a 30 minute feature on a network but it did not get picked up so maybe next year. This year kind of killed a few programs like this for various outdoor sports tie-ins but when companies decide to spend some more money I think these types of shows will take off.

drbbq
05-03-2009, 08:01 PM
I think you need to go to Cattle Call.

Jorge
05-03-2009, 08:46 PM
What the guy with the putting green haircut said.