PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Golden State Championship, Hesperia, April 4, 2009 IBCA Four Meat

Bigmista
04-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Couldn't find any other talk about this one. Who's going?

Bentley
04-01-2009, 07:44 PM
We will see you down on the PC side Friday afternoon. It is to be 34*'s Friday night, that is just not right when you have to sleep on an AeroBed outside! One time I am glad to be very overweight!

NotleyQue
04-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Notley Que will be there, but we will be down in the fun zone. Not wasting my time vending at this one. Come on down and visit.

Don't forget to come visit us Saturday morning for some fresh hot coffee, bagles, muffins, and some other morning grub.

Countryhb
04-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Notley Que will be there, but we will be down in the fun zone. Not wasting my time vending at this one. Come on down and visit.

Don't forget to come visit us Saturday morning for some fresh hot coffee, bagles, muffins, and some other morning grub.
Wow, Gary, you are so negative. You are such an angry little man. What gives? Do you need a hug? I think everyone should hug Gary when you see him this weekend.

ThomEmery
04-01-2009, 09:27 PM
We will be there

Alexa RnQ
04-02-2009, 09:56 AM
http://www.mobile-files.ru/forum/images/smilies/yaya.gif

scott millman
04-03-2009, 09:15 AM
We will be there....Oink & Moo BBQ......haven't competed since Modesto, so looking forward to meeting many of you this wknd.

Scott

big brother smoke
04-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Just heard Rhythm and Que won GC. Congrats DivaHerself! I also heard Sylvie, Country and Notley took walks.

ThomEmery
04-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Great time AZ Teams Sure did the Job

Bigmista
04-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Professor Salt also walked. And thanks to Yelonutz for driving 500 miles to be ahead judge. And he brought homemade polish sausage!

thillin
04-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Congrats Diva and to all that walked!

Vince RnQ
04-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Just heard Rhythm and Que won GC. Congrats DivaHerself!

Congrats Diva and to all that walked!

She sure does make it easy on me. All I have to do is not burn the food!

Bentley
04-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Congrats to Rhythm n Que another solid performance! 1 less draw in the Jack to sweat! A lot of new teams and since it was an IBCA contest several of them walking!

Congrats also to Smoked to the Bone, I guess Jennifer is married to Tom of Wiskey Ranch? I think I heard someone say it was only the second time she has competed by herself, way to go!

NotleyQue
04-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Way to go to R and Q, and all who walked.

Despite the cold and wind it was a really fun contest.

CountryHB is a great addition to Notley Que, so it is gonna be a fun year.

SMITTYtheSMOKER
04-05-2009, 04:38 PM
R n Q is a hot team right now, gonna be hard to knock them out of the top spot in the CBBQA this year.

Congrats to all with their nice showings in Hesperia this past weekend.

Bentley
04-05-2009, 04:41 PM
It was windy at Hesperia...Real windy!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/Miscellaneous/FlyingEZUp2.jpg

A Dirt Devil came right through our site about 1pm, we had not had a lot of wind since about 10pm the night before. We set the second Caravan up for the PC Saturday morning, yours truly Mr. Nimrod gets complacent and does not secure it. This thing went straight up,about 50 feet, twrilling as it went. In this picture it is on it way into the ground, tweeking it very nicely I might add, went back up about 15 and landed on the middle tree above the guy in blue(Edit Mod: Is that you in the blue Neil?). To give you an idea of distance, our site is in the far right of the picture. The tree it landed in is about 150 feet away.

This experience has taugh me I will never set up another pop-up where it is not secure. Dont care if wind is present or not. God was looking out for us on this one. If this thing had hit someone on the way down it would have done some very serious damage.

leanza
04-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Bentley, my brother. God was indeed talking to you. He wants you to change your team name to Whirlwind BBQ. If you don't believe me, look it up in the Bible! And if you don't, just wait and see what He does to you next.

Smokin' Joe
04-05-2009, 06:17 PM
:shock::shock: wow, thats crazy

ThomEmery
04-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Yes it was a sight to see for sure
My first thought was.......... If that is Bents EZ Up
I hope Mom was out of the way

Bigmista
04-05-2009, 08:13 PM
That was crazy. This is funny.

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m288/dolson25/?action=view&current=MVI_4734.flv

Alexa RnQ
04-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I am so thrilled that someone captured the Amazing Flying Popup on film! I didn't get to see it in person, but heard about it from the other end of the street -- thank goodness it didn't involve any bystanders in its escapades!

This weekend was like last weekend redux, only with even MORE flying grit! We made one last stab at putting up a prep area well after sunset, but when all four of us were holding on for dear life and trying not to replicate the flying canopy, we gave it up. Seriously behind schedule on prep, I retreated to the box trailer with a camp chair and folding tiny table, and VQ ran the meat back and forth to me from the coolers to prep. When I opened up our toolchest, even everything INSIDE the drawers was coated with grit from the wind -- we're going to have to empty everything and hose it out.

Wouldn't you know that once meat prep was done, the wind mostly died down??? http://www.divaherself.com/funny/blank.gif

This was our first time set up near Notley and Country, that is some funny chit. They kept us WELL amused, made the dead time fly by.

Congratulations to Scott of Oink & Moo for your pork call, Bentley and Kristen in ribs, pork and brisket, Four Q with Sylvie scoring in chicken and Professor Salt in ribs, Notley Que walked for Country's chicken and Gary's brisket. VQ was wise enough to not let me know what our ticket numbers were (I'm too blind to read them), and there were so many teams getting multiple calls that I just gave up trying to keep track -- there must have been a dozen teams that got three calls.

We also enjoyed watching Brian of Slap Yo' Daddy do just that -- he popped Harry one on the butt on the way up! Our boys had been playing with Little Phil of 7 Kinds of Smoke, so we were happy to see him up there with his daddy too.

Another one on the books, on to the next -- let's all do it again at Stagecoach! See you in three weeks!

Bigmista
04-06-2009, 11:13 AM

A Dirt Devil came right through our site about 1pm, we had not had a lot of wind since about 10pm the night before. We set the second Caravan up for the PC Saturday morning, yours truly Mr. Nimrod gets complacent and does not secure it. This thing went straight up,about 50 feet, twrilling as it went. In this picture it is on it way into the ground, tweeking it very nicely I might add, went back up about 15 and landed on the middle tree above the guy in blue(Edit Mod: Is that you in the blue Neil?). To give you an idea of distance, our site is in the far right of the picture. The tree it landed in is about 150 feet away.

This experience has taugh me I will never set up another pop-up where it is not secure. Dont care if wind is present or not. God was looking out for us on this one. If this thing had hit someone on the way down it would have done some very serious damage.

Not me. I was over at Rusty Barrel at the time helping them hold their canopy down.

StrikeEagle
04-06-2009, 01:43 PM
I still say that Bentley's new team name should be "Four Winds BBQ".

Alexa RnQ
04-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Oh, and! One of the greatest tiedown systems I saw was utilized by our neighbors, Soaked in Smoke -- they found a large rock and duct-taped it to their canopy leg!

Desertdog
04-06-2009, 02:04 PM
I saw the canopy flying up up up from a vantage point inside the Judging tent, pretty amazing!

Just to illustrate how windy it was during prep time, during our judging brief, K and K mentioned that we might find a "bit of grit" in the entries, and to not be overly judgemental about it...I am happy to say that I experienced no grit in any of the entries I sampled!

I can also say, that this was an exceptional contest, because everyone I talked to said that they felt what they turned in was meeeeh, not so good. However, taking in to account the conditions, I think overall the entries were some of the best I've smelled, seen, tasted.

Congrats to all the competitors, and of course to the winners Rhythm and Que and Smoked to the Bone. Arizona BBQ is becoming a force to be reconed with! Waaayy to go, guys! 8)

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m288/dolson25/IMG_4794.jpg

Desertdog
04-06-2009, 02:07 PM
That was crazy. This is funny.

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m288/dolson25/?action=view&current=MVI_4734.flv

Neil,

We can always count on you guys to keep us entertained!

Bigmista
04-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Dean, it was great hanging out with you!