PDA

View Full Version : New Teams for 2009

Chipper
03-31-2009, 07:31 AM
I was wondering, besides my team, how many new Brethren members will be competing for the first time this year.
We are diving in at Green Lane, PA.

Smokin Mike
03-31-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm new this year, had my first contest already at N. kansas city, doing my second this weekend at pleasant hill.

one2bbq
03-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Our first contest is May 8,9 in Edwardsville, Il.

nikinik
03-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Our first competition was this past weekend and we were shocked to take 1st place chicken, 8th place ribs and Grand Champion. It was the backyard division...61 teams.

U2CANQUE
03-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Our first competition.......Grand Champion.........
Now, we know that the addiction will hit you hard from there....Congrats

clemsonking
03-31-2009, 01:22 PM
we competed in our first cook-off without the amatuer label last week and came in 4th

Chipper
03-31-2009, 02:57 PM
A GC and a 4th on the first time out is fantastic, and like UCANCUE said, it's now an addiction.

early mornin' smokin'
03-31-2009, 03:06 PM
well we only did one comp last year, and we were excelerators, we are pretty much set on our new team name, and its early morning smokin.

Cigarbque
03-31-2009, 03:22 PM
I will be competing this year for the first time as Bacon & Bone BBQ Team. My first comp is in August but I am looking to see if there are some others this summer that would make sense for me. Can't wait.

Smokin Mike
03-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Our first competition was this past weekend and we were shocked to take 1st place chicken, 8th place ribs and Grand Champion. It was the backyard division...61 teams.

holly smokes, thats too cool, my first comp. got DQed on brisket, didn't turn in on time,,, seconds count :shock:, and DAL because of it!, but im hooked anyways:icon_cool

Coz
03-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Boys you all are going to regret getting further into this sickness....year 2 for us

Ron_L
03-31-2009, 06:41 PM
This will be the second year for us, too! Welcome to all of the rookies! It is a blast. Just make sure to stop and get to know the folks around you. We have met some wonderful people at competitions.

txschutte
03-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Boy-B-Q will be in it's first year.

lunchlady
03-31-2009, 10:42 PM

Grand Champs your first time out is GREAT!!! And against 61 teams is even better! Congrats to you!!! :-D

Smokin' Mike... welcome to the DAL club!!! We were DQ'd for time too - 4 seconds DO count
we earned our other DAL the hard way, by turning in what we thought was damn good chicken!

ANYWAY... please find the time to roam around and talk to other teams, even if you feel wierd about it, do it anyway. Everyone is usually really friendly (except from 11 to 1:45); we all remember what it is like to be brand new at this, plus the people you meet (and the friends you make) is one of the best things about BBQ!!!

I hope to meet you all out there somewhere...

blues_n_cues
03-31-2009, 11:59 PM
:shock:we'll be doing a couple small regional things- i'm more about the vending- $$$ is tight...
but some nascar stuff & irish/scottish highland events are on our list..

oceanpigassassins
04-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Welcome to all you new comers and great job nikinik thats pretty good for 61 teams.

Skidder
04-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Yup. Me and my daughter. Smokey O's BBQ team. out of Westfield, Ma. 2nd place at the BBQ Bailout in sausage and 1st place in Sausage fattie at the Snowshoe Grilling Challenge. Sorry if I'm proud but my daughter really stepped up to the plate for the 1st place win. Also these were our first two comps. ever.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/Skidder1/Picture-1.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/Skidder1/Picture004-1.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/Skidder1/Picture752.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/Skidder1/Picture750.jpg

BBQ_Mayor
04-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Congrats on your win.
Sausage looks great! What'd you stuff it with?

Skidder
04-01-2009, 02:12 PM
BBQ Mayor I did 1/2 Jimmie dean regular and 1/2 ground pork layed it out flat and seasoned, then put 3 slices of deli turkey along with Stove Top stuffing, and whole berry cranberry sauce and a drizzle of brown gravy then dry rubbed it and smoked it with wild cherry wood for 2 hours in the WSM. Then brushed it with my home made cranberry sauce with a touch of cayenne and also mixed with my home made BBQ sauce. Came out fantastic.

Todd Ras
04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Our first comp will be in Tonganoxie, KS in June and we don't expect to win anything :) Our second one will be in Blue Spring, MO in September. We are only going to do 2-3 this year and see how it goes!!

Chipper
04-01-2009, 03:11 PM
It would be great to get some comments on the first experiences. Pron would be welcomed as well.

musicmanryann
04-01-2009, 03:54 PM
BBQ Mayor I did 1/2 Jimmie dean regular and 1/2 ground pork layed it out flat and seasoned, then put 3 slices of deli turkey along with Stove Top stuffing, and whole berry cranberry sauce and a drizzle of brown gravy then dry rubbed it and smoked it with wild cherry wood for 2 hours in the WSM. Then brushed it with my home made cranberry sauce with a touch of cayenne and also mixed with my home made BBQ sauce. Came out fantastic.

That looks and sounds delicious! Your set-up looks a lot like the set-up we had at our first comp in August of last year, even down to the Mac on the table. We are looking forward to our second comp in May.

Skidder
04-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Chipper first comp we, I was very nervous and confused. I only knew a few people from the forums but had really never met. It was snowing, cold and windy and my team mate was at college so I was by myself. Nailed a 2nd place trophy. Second time out I had my team mate with me and she really came through for the team. Still kinda confused but a ton better and we nailed a 1st place trophy and $$. Not to shabby for a two time comp. team I'm thinking, or we had a ton of luck.

Chipper
04-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Skidder- That gives me hope. I also, don't really know anyone yet. Maybe meet some at the cooking class this Saturday at Dover??
Our goal is not set any huge fires, not be sent to the local hospital for any reason, and not finish DAL. If we can place in anything, that would be great.

Skidder
04-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Concentrate on your recipes, timing and stick to a plan would be my best advice. Don't worry about your food being warm. Judges are used to cool to cold food. Don't worry about your ten minute window of time either just make sure you get it in on time.

thillin
04-01-2009, 07:39 PM
We did one comp last year. This is our first full season. First 2 comps we had 3 walks. We've met some great guys and gals so far. Had 4 guys move my loaded 6x10 enclosed trailer 90 degrees so I could hook up easier. Didn't even really ask. And of course Tony76248, KellerSteeler and Jorge have all been very helpful.

nikinik
04-02-2009, 08:05 AM
You all are so right...we are completely and utterly addicted! I think we're still on an adrenaline high and it's been 5 days! LOL

That sausage looks incredible and worthy of first place! Congrats.

I love hearing everyone's first time stories. And anyone who thinks there's no way they can win it all the first time out...you just never know!

Skidder
04-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Not to steal the thread but I would encourage anyone to make this fattie. Even if you don't compete it makes a wonderful dinner. And yes anyone can win first time ot so good luck to all.

nikinik
04-02-2009, 08:29 AM
I will definitely give that fattie a try!

Skidder
04-02-2009, 08:41 AM
The computer was for my daughters music.