PDA

View Full Version : How early is too early to trim?

Mike - CSBBBQ
03-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Leaving for Clarksville Thurs and was debating on trimming brisket and ribs Wed night and then putting in ziplocks. Have never trimmed Wed before...any concerns I should have? Thanks!

Meat Burner
03-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Mike, just an opinion, but those are pretty quick and easy trims. I do them at the comp. Now chicken might be good to discuss if you trim them a lot.

musicmanryann
03-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Once you crack open that cryovak, make sure you keep it cold and not in your regular fridge where you open it 30 times a day. If you do that, you should be fine, although your brisket might green a little from the oxidation, but that is okay.

Divemaster
03-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Mike, just an opinion, but those are pretty quick and easy trims. I do them at the comp. Now chicken might be good to discuss if you trim them a lot.
I agree... My first priority would be Chicken, then Ribs, Brisket, and last would be Pork. Those chicken breasts (j/k thighs) seem to take forever, plus I save the extra meat for stir fry & pot pies so keeping that cold (ie. safe) is a pain at the comp.

I think you should be fine even starting Tuesday evening as long as you store the meats in a cooler packed with ice.

Sledneck
03-31-2009, 06:30 PM
I try to trim before I leave but rarely seams to happen. When I do get the chance nothing is better, gives you more time to relax and enjoy yourself

Lakeside Smoker
03-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Trim everything at home, then re cryovac.

oceanpigassassins
04-01-2009, 09:38 AM
I agree chicken first at least make sure you get that done.