PDA

View Full Version : Pork Purchase question - date and freshness

KC_Bobby
03-27-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm going to cook 4 butts overnight Saturday and I need 4 more butts to cook the following weekend for a comp.

Should I:
A) go to Sam's Club Saturday morning and buy a case (8 butts)
B) go to Sam's Club Saturday morning to by 4 butts, then go back again Wednesday evening to buy 4 more to cook for the comp

I'd prefer not to freeze the comp butts prior to cooking, but I am willing to put them in the freezer for a few hours at a day to ensure that I'm keeping them as cold as possible - if that would help with freshness.

I'm going to call Sam's to find out when they get shipments - who knows, maybe both days would be out of the same shipment and it wouldn't matter anyway.

musicmanryann
03-27-2009, 12:16 PM
I think holding them in a cold refrigerator in cryovak for a week should be fine. Just make sure the fridge stays cold. However, this would depend on when the case you are buying was slaughtered and packed. Hope this helps!

BBQ_Mayor
03-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Should be fine, but like musicmanryan said, check the date.

Plowboy
03-27-2009, 01:38 PM
I'd talk to the meat guy and see if he'd sell you 1/2 now and 1/2 later at case price. Unless you get a real flunky, they will. Just talk to them. You are probably okay doing it that way, but I'd rather have my pork as fresh as possible.

KC_Bobby
03-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Yeah, next weekend if full of pork cookin machines. We need to not skip any steps here to have a chance of hearing our name.

Divemaster
03-27-2009, 02:06 PM
I think you should be fine, and again, check the dates.... Also remember there is a HUGE difference between 'Sell by' and 'Use by'.....

Talk to them, they have always been willing to work with me.

Que'inKC
03-27-2009, 03:32 PM
You'll be fine...Randy and I cooked 4 butts for the Raisin Ranch Comp last fall that were frozen for 6 mos and we got 3rd place (some of the best pork we ever cooked)....Not saying I would do this every time, but it worked...

moocow
03-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Last year the Sams in Grandview got there meat in on thursday morning for the weekend rush.

Plowboy
03-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Last year the Sams in Grandview got there meat in on thursday morning for the weekend rush.
Yep, Tuesday and Thursday are usually meat days at Sam's.

baughman
03-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Dont some of you guys age them 3 weeks before comps? I think a few extra days in this case is fine.

KC_Bobby
03-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Meat manager in Indy told me he's getting a truck in on Wednesday. I'll be back Wednesday night to get 4 more. The price diff was only 16 cents a pound. It wasn't enough to get concerned about.

Coz
03-28-2009, 09:21 AM
What was the price there.We went to the Sams in Madison,Wi last nite and bought 3 cases and it was 1.04 a lb.I think it was 1.38 for the twin cryos.Well worth the hour drive for us.

KC_Bobby
03-28-2009, 04:08 PM
1.02 a case
1.16 for twins

Big George's BBQ
03-28-2009, 06:53 PM
I have frozen them with success. Just give yourself plenty of time to thaw them n the fridge

Solidkick
03-29-2009, 10:59 AM
I think you made the right decision to go back and get 4 more later in the week.
Sedalia, last year, I bought the butts on Monday and held until the weekend.....it was a big mistake, though they weren't bad when I opened them, they were strong....I should have just gone and gotten a couple more there in town and Chris inspect them late, but I chose to go ahead and cook them. Worst finish all year in pork.

Good luck next weekend!

KC_Bobby
03-29-2009, 11:22 AM
I have frozen them with success. Just give yourself plenty of time to thaw them n the fridge

Given the location of my house and the location of Sam's ... it's less effort to go back and get more then freeze them.

I got 3 of the butts in the cooler now, but one stalled out at 190 and has been there for 2 hours.

Divemaster
03-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Dont some of you guys age them 3 weeks before comps? I think a few extra days in this case is fine.

That would be Beef Brisket, not pork or chicken...