PDA

View Full Version : pleasant hill people's choice

Smokin Mike
03-27-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm going to my 2nd ever contest and had a question, about the people choice pork thingy.

If you don't mind, is/has any of the brethren done it? and going to do it again?

I know you can cook it at home and bring it out to reheat, does that mean stick it in a toss away hotel pan? and bring those candle thingys? or do they have a heating station?

my other question is how do you make it look great when it's going to be sitting around for a couple of hours? does that mean ganish?

thanks!

Michael

btw,

I can not wait to meet some of you guys, my family is coming to this one, should be fun, last nite I signed up, didn't think I could pull it off,,,,

Jacked UP BBQ
03-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Peoples choice imo is all about personality. I think the food needs to be high quality, but you are a salesman when they come up to your booth for the sample (if this is the format they are going for). I would say put it in a chafing dish and do your thing. You will do great.

Jorge
03-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm going to my 2nd ever contest and had a question, about the people choice pork thingy.

If you don't mind, is/has any of the brethren done it? and going to do it again?

I know you can cook it at home and bring it out to reheat, does that mean stick it in a toss away hotel pan? and bring those candle thingys? or do they have a heating station?

my other question is how do you make it look great when it's going to be sitting around for a couple of hours? does that mean ganish?

thanks!

Michael

btw,

I can not wait to meet some of you guys, my family is coming to this one, should be fun, last nite I signed up, didn't think I could pull it off,,,,

Contact Jeff_in_KC, he's the organizer and can answer your question.

KC_Bobby
03-27-2009, 09:46 AM
We're doing the PC pork too. At this comp, all the PC's are brought up to a specific location and served from that site. I've already asked Jeff and Stan about a chafing dish and sterno flame and the answer is no. All entries will be served out of disposable pans.

They want this to be a blind judging event.

Buster Dog BBQ
03-27-2009, 11:36 AM
I really like the blind judging on the people's choice. Seem's to even things out. We always do people's choice but when you have it at your spot, teams can create unfair advantages to sway the vote, or they may have a bunch of friends/relatives that vote for them, or simply you get stuck in a bad location and don't get the foot traffic.

Jeff_in_KC
03-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Michael, last night when I spoke to you, I didn't realize you were a Brother! Good to know and glad you got in! Anyway, we'll be accepting entries in the disposable aluminum pans and covered with foil (some teams seal with plastic wrap first) starting around 6pm. We assign a number that only two people on the committee will know and place your entry in chafing racks over sternos to keep them hot inside our tent. We'll try to keep a lot of the pan covered and our volunteers will serve samples to the public beginning at 6:30 PM. If we run out, we'll be coming back to check with you to see if you have more. If you want to have a chance to win, you probably should have a back up pan.

This will only go on for about an hour or until we run out of food. We encourage everyone cooking it to cook at least two pork butts because we're gonna give you one raw one back (courtesy of Jeff Spurgeon, KC Customs Repair Shop). Garnish is not necessary and probably not really a good idea as we are blind voting. Just make sure your pork LOOKS good and appetizing as the first step of someone voting is likely to be them thinking "does that look good?" Because we're doing it a little differently from last year. Last year, purchasing a wrist band for $5 got you a ballot and entry to taste any and all samples (we had 18 wings and 11 brisket in 2008 ). We ran out and there were complaints that many people came in and basically made a feast out of it. This year, for that $5, instead of a wrist band, the public (and hopefully teams) will get 12 tickets, each good for one sample. They'll also get a ballot to vote for their favorite of each category. Therefore, the meat LOOKING appetizing will be the first criteria when deciding where they want to use their tickets. They can always go buy 12 more tickets, try more samples and vote again. This way we keep mounded plates and forgetting which number was which to a minimum. We were going to pay winner takes all in each category but now we've decided to pay first and second with each getting a really unique plaque.

Remember... all the $5 ballots we sell goes to charity... 50% to the March of Dimes and 50% to the local Meals on Wheels. We hope that a lot of you folks from teams will also take part in the judging of people's choice and help us support these charities!

P.S. Anyone entered in chicken wings people's choice, pretty much everything is the same except you'll get 3 to 4 pounds of wings to cook that day and turn in. We encourage you to bring additional wings to go with that. More is always better when the public is voting and other teams are running out!

Smokin Mike
03-27-2009, 12:30 PM
thanks jeff! that made sense!

you know I never put together Jeff_in_KC and Big Creek together intill jorge posted that, I was gonna call you tonite, but won't have to now thanks.

Jeff_in_KC
03-27-2009, 01:15 PM
thanks jeff! that made sense!

you know I never put together Jeff_in_KC and Big Creek together intill jorge posted that, I was gonna call you tonite, but won't have to now thanks.

No problem! Sparing people the need to have to actually talk to me is a service I provide. :lol:

stan
03-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Mike,

I am the one that talked to your wife. Glad we could get you in.

Last year the people choice was gone in less than an hour. Will see you early Friday!