PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully Never

HBMTN
03-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Were kinda new to competition bbq and have had good weather at comps. I was scrolling around youtube and came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sZG2dVFnww I sent it to everyone on my team and told them to always be prepared for it and hope we never see it. I won't be able to sleep after watching this :shock:

rbinms33
03-25-2009, 08:52 PM
It's all part of it. Don't worry about it, just be prepared for it when it happens and if you cook enough events it WILL happen. Just have a plan for it and know how your cookers will react when they get a little (or a lot) wet. Choices are simple if you don't have a rig to keep the cookers on. You either drag the cookers under the EZup or have an extra popup you can put over the cookers.

This is my second year doing this and I always seem to come away from each event with a lesson learned. After Little Rock a few weeks ago, my lesson learned is that I will always keep a vehicle with me onsite even if it means buying a larger spot. You always need to have a place where you can go to get warm/dry/cool/decent nap.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the day when I get the toy hauler so I can go back to some of these events, pop a beer and say, "you remember when we were over here last time and froze our aces off?" :wink:

Alexa RnQ
03-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Wind, rain, lightning, hail -- I've seen more actual weather while on the campaign trail than in years of living here!

Best rain humor I ever saw was at the Jack, where the team whose spot was next to the flooded cart path reversed their space sign and relettered it to say
"NO WAKE ZONE".

We might get a new one to add to our personal archives -- weather reports for this weekend's comp are calling for "snow showers". :shock:

Buster Dog BBQ
03-25-2009, 09:37 PM
A couple years ago in Marshalltown we got something like 3" of rain in less than an hour. Were standing under the EZ Up and by the time it let up we were ankle deep.

bocephus
03-25-2009, 10:03 PM
dang... if these stories dont make you wanna do some comps I dont know what would... I'll just remember to bring my waders to any I attend... and try to avoid ones where buster dog BBQ is at... seems hes got bad luck with 3 inchs of rain in an hour!

Big Ugly's BBQ
03-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Anyone that was at Pickin in the Panhandle (WV) last year could tell you about rain/wind, we had TS Hanna pass over us during the comp. Thankfully we had the high ground.

Buster Dog BBQ
03-26-2009, 07:15 AM
summer time in the good ole US. Got to expect the unexpected. Out of 12 events we did last year I think we only got rained on twice.

YankeeBBQ
03-26-2009, 07:39 AM

Yup It happens

Ron_L
03-26-2009, 08:22 AM
It happens. Fortunately not all that often. At Shannon, IL last year we had downpours and heavy thunderstorms all night. Lightning hit the corn field both on Thursday night and Friday night. We were lucky that we were on a high spot, but a lot of tems has ankle deep water on Saturday morning. As the guys said, you just deal with it and keep going. High winds can be worse. At Bloomington, IL two year ago a storm hit during the cooks meeting and a lot of teams came out of the meeting to find their entire site a tangle of metal. Many teams had no choice to pack up and go home.

HBMTN
03-26-2009, 08:54 AM
>Anyone that was at Pickin in the Panhandle (WV) last year could tell you about rain/wind, we had TS Hanna pass over us during the comp. Thankfully we had the high ground

I was not there but I live two hours south of there and was cooking a whole hog that night, man it was ruff but I did have the comfort of my home there. I bet it is rough at a comp.

Sledneck
03-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Battle of the Brethren last year had a bit of a monsoon last October. Jesus was seen walking around in the puddles , mud and then over hot coals

paydabill
03-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Yes - you need to be ready. Especially if we are going to be at your event. For some reason since Brian has been on my team, we have had rain at every event. I think he owns stock in rain gear!

ique
03-26-2009, 10:23 AM
I'll take rain over wind (see Dover 07) any day. Here are some pics of the mud pit we cooked in at Norfolk,VA 07.

http://home.comcast.net/~cjejhart/0428070140.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~cjejhart/0428070128a.jpg

bocephus
03-26-2009, 11:52 AM
yeah I heard about pickin in the panhandle and the rain. I too lived close to them and it did rain like crazy... hopfully not this year though, Im deffinatly going to be there this year... I can't wait, Im thinking it might be my first comp!

musicmanryann
03-26-2009, 11:57 AM
This thread is freakin' me out!:eek: I never thought about bringing rubber boots to a comp--now I know better!

Alexa RnQ
03-26-2009, 12:20 PM
I never thought about bringing rubber boots to a comp--now I know better!
The single BEST piece of advice we got before Lynchburg last year was to BUY BOOTS! Hell, we never have to think about that stuff in Aridzona!

Big Ugly's BBQ
03-26-2009, 12:44 PM
yeah I heard about pickin in the panhandle and the rain. I too lived close to them and it did rain like crazy... hopfully not this year though, Im deffinatly going to be there this year... I can't wait, Im thinking it might be my first comp!

Good choice, especially when Charley Daniels will be up there this year! We're stay on Sat, coming home on Sun.

KC_Bobby
03-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Man, I hope my new toy doesn't get muddy next weekend. Maybe I'll leave it home.

bocephus
03-26-2009, 08:23 PM
yeah I heard charley daniels was gonna be there... made me even more excited to go. and I havent made all my plans on my stay but I know I will be there!!

U2CANQUE
03-27-2009, 06:05 AM
we all have the great stories about a little discomfort in weather, my favorite survival story so far was 10.5 inches of rain overnight in Fairbanks, IN last year....the area was a state of emergency.....true fun happened when trying to leave the middle of nowhere....bridges out, took 2 hours to just make it to the interstate...which happened to be washed out as well....Onstar trying to give me directions over and over back to the interstate.....no sleep, yelling at some poor gal covering their directions "what part of Interstate 70 being shut down dont you understand?"....but, it was my first competition, and didnt break the spirit.....

musicmanryann
03-27-2009, 08:34 AM
we all have the great stories about a little discomfort in weather, my favorite survival story so far was 10.5 inches of rain overnight in Fairbanks, IN last year....the area was a state of emergency.....true fun happened when trying to leave the middle of nowhere....bridges out, took 2 hours to just make it to the interstate...which happened to be washed out as well....Onstar trying to give me directions over and over back to the interstate.....no sleep, yelling at some poor gal covering their directions "what part of Interstate 70 being shut down dont you understand?"....but, it was my first competition, and didnt break the spirit.....

That was your first competition?!? You must have one hell of a strong spirit to withstand that experience.:eusa_clap For our first competition we were blessed with mild temperatures, clear skies, and no wind; which is good because we were not at all prepared for anything else.

Smokin Mike
03-27-2009, 09:16 AM

WOW, I don't think I could do that, probaly gave up right there!

BBQ_Mayor
03-27-2009, 09:51 AM

Good for you to keep going.

I've been in down pours, snow/rain, blizzards, and intense heat. I hope that nothing like what you expreinced happens to me while out cooking.

Divemaster
03-27-2009, 10:36 AM
I remember that weekend... I was cooking for the church picnic (which was being held in the church basement)... We got something like 12 inches and there I was with the EZ-UP and the big (8 burnner) propane grill doing up hot dogs and hamburgers...

What a weekend!

Alexa RnQ
03-27-2009, 12:21 PM
It looks like we're going to get a new set of photos from this trip -- we're about 2.5 hours out of Rio Rancho, and things are pretty white. Let's just say I'm reasonably glad I brought the down parka. :mrgreen:

Jeff_in_KC
03-27-2009, 01:11 PM
WOW, I don't think I could do that, probaly gave up right there!

Mike, Mike, Mike... let me set the record straight for you here and now and never EVER forget what I'm going to tell you: If you are cooking at a contest where the weather turns to chit like any one of these pictures, you do not EVER consider giving up and leaving! The price you pay will be all your BBQ friends giving you grief for as long as you cook KCBS events! There have been a couple of times I considered it but the thought of Todd, Wayne, Andy, Jeff, etc. calling me all sorts of names for giving up spured me onward and I kept going. (BTW, I know I just set myself up for a comment or two with that one so let 'er rip, guys! :lol: ) And at DeSoto, KS year before last, that perseverence earned me a first place call in chicken a few hours later.

Besides that, if you DO persevere and survive to cook another day, you'll feel so much better about yourself! Remember that in Pleasant Hill next weekend! :wink:

Jorge
03-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Man, I hope my new toy doesn't get muddy next weekend. Maybe I'll leave it home.

I'd rather get it muddy, than stand IN the mud all weekend!:mrgreen:

Divemaster
03-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Mike, Mike, Mike... let me set the record straight for you here and now and never EVER forget what I'm going to tell you: If you are cooking at a contest where the weather turns to chit like any one of these pictures, you do not EVER consider giving up and leaving! The price you pay will be all your BBQ friends giving you grief for as long as you cook KCBS events! There have been a couple of times I considered it but the thought of Todd, Wayne, Andy, Jeff, etc. calling me all sorts of names for giving up spured me onward and I kept going. (BTW, I know I just set myself up for a comment or two with that one so let 'er rip, guys! :lol: ) And at DeSoto, KS year before last, that perseverence earned me a first place call in chicken a few hours later.

Besides that, if you DO persevere and survive to cook another day, you'll feel so much better about yourself! Remember that in Pleasant Hill next weekend! :wink:

I'd rather get it muddy, than stand IN the mud all weekend!:mrgreen:

I couldn't agree more!