PDA

View Full Version : Keepin my Q warm

HandsomeSwede
03-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Any tips or tricks for keeping my tasty Q warm in transit from my booth to the judge's table?

The_Kapn
03-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Minor issue.

We try to keep the box closed as much as possible while assembling.
Just to hold the heat in a bit.

Then, you can just wrap in a towel while transporting.
Lots of "wraps" out there if you feel the need.

Beleive me--the judges are used to luke warm food and if yours is not "refigerator cold" it should not be a problem.

TIM

HandsomeSwede
03-24-2009, 08:40 PM
I guess then my next question is whether you found you have adjusted your flavor profiles at all to account for lukewarm tastings?

The_Kapn
03-24-2009, 08:45 PM
I guess then my next question is whether you found you have adjusted your flavor profiles at all to account for lukewarm tastings?

YUP.

We held back a bit of "turn in" meat and sampled it at 20 minutes later or so.
Big differences on flavor (to a bit) and texture (big time).
Especially on Ribs.

So we adjusted accordingly.

It is a part of the comp experience and learning curve.
It just took us forever to learn it, :oops::oops:

TIM

CTSmokehouse
03-24-2009, 10:00 PM
So Tim to save the rest of us years of trial and tribulation...what exactly did you learn... remember this is for the BBQ Brethen!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

YUP.

We held back a bit of "turn in" meat and sampled it at 20 minutes later or so.
Big differences on flavor (to a bit) and texture (big time).
Especially on Ribs.

So we adjusted accordingly.

It is a part of the comp experience and learning curve.
It just took us forever to learn it, :oops::oops:

TIM

Neal
03-24-2009, 10:05 PM
A successfull competition cook once mentioned in passing that he puts as much meat in the box as he can. He said it like everyone does this and it really wasn't the topic of the conversation anyway. But it dawned on me at that moment that it only makes sense...the more densely packed or arranged meat in the box that is very warm or even hot, the longer it will stay that way. So fill up your box with as much meat as possible.

I have also seen guys put warm objects (like containers of hot water) on their garnish beds so they are not laying hot meat on cool greens. I have never done it, but I guess there is some logic behind it.

Lastly, many people use those isulated pan carriers like the one below. We have a nice one that we got in a goodie bag at a contest.
http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/usr/products/71160041813.jpg

CTSmokehouse
03-24-2009, 10:09 PM
BTW...at the Sayville LI,NY comp we got our ribs in late and got DQ'd....ooooo

They had an open category....about 60 minutes later we turned in the same box... the ribs scored well!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff