PDA

View Full Version : I hate chicken

Que'inKC
03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Now that I've got that off my chest!!!

I've been doing a chit load of practicing for this off season, trying to get our chicken scores up...

I've got our method down, I'm consistent with appearance, doneness and bite through skin...But I'll be damned if i can't get much flavor out of the bird. I'm trying to be consistent with my practice cooks in the sense I'm always using fresh bird from the same store...(maybe I should switch that up???!!!???)

I've tried everything under the sun...Inject not inject, marinate or not marinate, brine or not brine...I just don't have any WOW Factor!!

I've used a few homemade rubs, and I've used a few store bought rubs and even combination of both.

Anyway just needed to get that off my chest...:smile:

Jacked UP BBQ
03-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Season, season, sauce, sauce, sauce, and oh yeah season again. Don't forget under the skin and every nook and cranny.

Bentley
03-23-2009, 03:08 PM
I think it is the hardist of the 4 meats to get great flavor into!

Divemaster
03-23-2009, 03:23 PM
What ^^^^^ said....

Bbq Bubba
03-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Plowboys Yardbird is your friend.:cool:

Skidder
03-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Have you tried free range birds? They don't even taste like grocery store chicken. Read up on them.

Diva
03-23-2009, 06:26 PM
The Slabs Birds & Bones does pretty well....just sayin'.

PatioDaddio
03-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Tip: It's not just that you brine, it what you brine with. Dissolve a good amount of your rub in the brine. A brine is a flavor transport mechanism. It's basically injecting at the physiological level.

John

Alexa RnQ
03-23-2009, 07:06 PM
I hate chicken too. Every time I touch a raw chicken thigh, I have to fight the urge to hurl.
Signed,
A Few Dozen Practices Too Many

Dale P
03-23-2009, 07:35 PM
I love chicken. Brisket is my nemisis.

musicmanryann
03-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Tip: It's not just that you brine, it what you brine with. Dissolve a good amount of your rub in the brine. A brine is a flavor transport mechanism. It's basically injecting at the physiological level.

John

AMEN!!!:biggrin:

Dissolve your flavors by bringing your brining solution to a boil in a stock pot and let it cool and rest for at least as long as you plan on brining.

Mike - CSBBBQ
03-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Dizzy Dust in the morning, Dizzy Dust in the afternoon, Dizzy Dust in the evening... :icon_cool

Countryhb
03-23-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm with Dale...I <3 Chicken! I did fairly well in chicken last year and I feel like I'm improving each time I do it. Brine, marinade, rub, sauce...they are your frind, Young Skywalker.

musicmanryann
03-23-2009, 08:17 PM
I hate chicken too. Every time I touch a raw chicken thigh, I have to fight the urge to hurl.
Signed,

I feel I could sign messages that way as well! LOL!!!:lol:

Butcher BBQ
03-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Brine with Yard Bird rub in it and then use it heavly on the bird and you will see a differance.

musicmanryann
03-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Brine with Yard Bird rub in it and then use it heavly on the bird and you will see a differance.

Plowboys Yardbird is your friend.:cool:

What is in this rub of legend and lore?
Equal parts unicorn horn, fairy dust, and tooth of wild boar
Mixed with salt, sugar, pepper, and the blood of our plowin' hero
It will make your stew strong, ladies pleased, and scores definitely not zero...

Big George's BBQ
03-23-2009, 09:03 PM
I love chicken Unfortuneately I have not done well at Comps

PatioDaddio
03-23-2009, 10:15 PM

Dissolve your flavors by bringing your brining solution to a boil in a stock pot and let it cool and rest for at least as long as you plan on brining.

Yep. I also use half brown sugar and half white. Oh, and I don't use the ratio of 1 cup each salt and sugar to a gallon of water. I make mine with 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup salt and 1/3 cup rub to each gallon.

Bring it all to a boil for a couple minutes, cover and let cool. For competitions I make what I call "brine concentrate". It's my standard brine solution with only half the water. I then dilute it with ice water on-site just before I use it.

I brine for six hours, drain, pat dry and sprinkle lightly with rub just before the thighs hit the cooker.

Hope this helps,
John

KC_Bobby
03-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah, how come something that takes 90-120 minutes to cook takes longer to prep?

Damn chicken

bbq ron
03-24-2009, 06:30 AM
yep, chicken is the hardest thing to get any taste into. just keep trying and just to let you know, i have the same problem

Que'inKC
03-24-2009, 08:31 AM

Waiting for you to come up with a Chicken injections/marinade..:-D:-D:-D

Que'inKC
03-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the comments...I have brined before, but didn't really think it added anything so I didn't try it again...

Maybe I'll experiment with some recipes...Thanks again!

barbefunkoramaque
03-24-2009, 08:51 AM

shhhhhhhhhhh

course... lilly don't brine! LOL

CTSmokehouse
03-24-2009, 10:26 PM
I've had the pleasure of cooking with Nancee and Greg of Purple Turtles and helping them win the New England BBQ Society Team of the Year for Chicken... with firsts at Sayville, LI and Lake Placid,NY...

Nancee and Greg are my mentors and they know Chicken and how!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Alexa RnQ
03-24-2009, 11:07 PM
*sullenly*
We practiced chicken today. I don't hate chicken *as* much.
Ask me again after the weekend.

barbefunkoramaque
03-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Kansas City, Go buy some Chick Fil A original sandwiches eat them and PM me when your stuffed.

Que'inKC
03-25-2009, 10:31 AM
I've had the pleasure of cooking with Nancee and Greg of Purple Turtles and helping them win the New England BBQ Society Team of the Year for Chicken... with firsts at Sayville, LI and Lake Placid,NY...

Nancee and Greg are my mentors and they know Chicken and how!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Any hints, techniques or advice you would like to share?

KC_Bobby
03-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Kansas City, Go buy some Chick Fil A original sandwiches eat them and PM me when your stuffed.
??? I don't understand, please elaborate.

Jeff Hughes
03-25-2009, 01:00 PM

Thanks man, how about a few nuggets on the big meats?

barbefunkoramaque
03-25-2009, 05:25 PM
??? I don't understand, please elaborate.

I meant Q in KC

Ford
03-25-2009, 08:10 PM
And the pork rub on chicken with your sauce doctored a little does pretty good as well. We'll see how it does this year with 6 contests in MI.

Spydermike72
03-25-2009, 08:21 PM

I was thinking the same thing!!!:mrgreen:

Podge
03-25-2009, 10:08 PM
brining is over-rated.. buy high quality chicken instead.

rookiedad
03-25-2009, 10:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing!!!:mrgreen:

i'll third that!

Que'inKC
03-26-2009, 07:35 AM
brining is over-rated.. buy high quality chicken instead.

We try and buy the freshest high quality chicken we can find...so far it hasn't helped us out much...The only thing super fresh chicken does for us is make the skin easy to get bite through.

Since this weekend will be the last chance we get to practice cook before our first contest, I think I'll try a couple different recipes and see what I find. Thanks for all the advice and assistance!!!

YankeeBBQ
03-26-2009, 07:56 AM

That Stuffs only good for 1st Chicken in the Royal Invite pffft:wink:

NotleyQue
03-26-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm with Dale...I <3 Chicken! I did fairly well in chicken last year and I feel like I'm improving each time I do it. Brine, marinade, rub, sauce...they are your frind, Young Skywalker.

That makes NotleyQue very happy.
Good attitude new team mate

Que'inKC
03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Think we might have it figured out!!! I guess we'll see..

Thanks for all the help!!!

I know, I know...No Pic's, didn't happen!!

Jeff_in_KC
03-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Think we might have it figured out!!! I guess we'll see..

Thanks for all the help!!!

I know, I know...No Pic's, didn't happen!!

You got this Saturday to show it. Proof's in the eatin' - just save me back a thigh on Saturday morning and I'll let you know if you can beat me at Osage. :razz:

Que'inKC
03-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks Jeff...I might just do that!

Alexa RnQ
03-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Okay, I found out what I hate worse than trimming chicken:

trimming chicken in 30 degrees with 20mph wind.

http://www.rhythmnque.com/images/chickensicles.jpg

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
03-30-2009, 03:20 PM

I know this is a chicken thread but...how is this on ribs?

Que'inKC
04-12-2009, 08:32 AM
OK so this last weekend in Osage, I pretty much thought our chicken was good, not the best but good. My box looked good, every thigh was uniform in color shape and texture and my skin was bite through. Both me and Randy thought the chicken tasted good, it had good flavor, tender and juicy.

I expected to be in at least the top half, but wow the judges just didn't like it. I ended up finishing 51 out of 69 teams.

In fact one judge actually gave me a 2 (which is basically inedible), but what I couldn't understand is the judge right next to him gave me a 9. What the hell is up with that...The rest of the judges gave me 6,7,and 8 I believe. In fact not only did I receive a 2, but that was basically the worst single judge score of any chicken turn-in!

I know I shouldn't take it personally, but it's hard not too...I know the chicken wasn't THAT bad...

I guess I'll try again in a couple weeks and hope those judges like my chicken better...

Jeff_in_KC
04-12-2009, 08:41 AM
OK so this last weekend in Osage, I pretty much thought our chicken was good, not the best but good. My box looked good, every thigh was uniform in color shape and texture and my skin was bite through. Both me and Randy thought the chicken tasted good, it had good flavor, tender and juicy.

I expected to be in at least the top half, but wow the judges just didn't like it. I ended up finishing 51 out of 69 teams.

In fact one judge actually gave me a 2 (which is basically inedible), but what I couldn't understand is the judge right next to him gave me a 9. What the hell is up with that...The rest of the judges gave me 6,7,and 8 I believe. In fact not only did I receive a 2, but that was basically the worst single judge score of any chicken turn-in!

I know I shouldn't take it personally, but it's hard not too...I know the chicken wasn't THAT bad...

I guess I'll try again in a couple weeks and hope those judges like my chicken better...

I was not happy with my chicken at Osage City. Gave up tons of appearance points... or so I thought. Until I got called for 2nd place!

Que'inKC
04-12-2009, 08:57 AM
I was not happy with my chicken at Osage City. Gave up tons of appearance points... or so I thought. Until I got called for 2nd place!

That was awesome Jeff...Congratulations!!!!

BTW..Congrats to Tammy too...I told you guys I thought that dessert was good!

Buster Dog BBQ
04-12-2009, 09:02 AM
I would be tracking down the rep and getting more clarification there. I realize individual pieces can vary more than like pork, but you have to have one incredibly horrible piece of chicken for that.

jbrink01
04-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Yardbird!!

Que'inKC
04-12-2009, 08:31 PM
I would be tracking down the rep and getting more clarification there. I realize individual pieces can vary more than like pork, but you have to have one incredibly horrible piece of chicken for that.

I wish i would have thought of that when we were there..I was just so pissed off all i wanted to do was leave..

I'm almost over it, so I'll try again in a couple weeks..

Divemaster
04-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I wish i would have thought of that when we were there..I was just so pissed off all i wanted to do was leave..
Been there done that... I know it's not easy, but you have to shake it off.

I'm almost over it, so I'll try again in a couple weeks..
I wouldn't change anything... Give it to the new set of judges the same as the last set... Don't ask me how I know, I just do....

nancee
04-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I agree. We never taste our chicken although we should. We don't do anything special either nor do we do it the same at every contest. Or practice. Having said that, chicken has been good to us...
Nancee

Signed,

Que'inKC
04-13-2009, 01:37 PM
After hearing a few stories, it sounds like Judging was all over the place in this comp...Just going to chalk it up to bad luck..

thanks everyone...J

KC_Bobby
04-24-2009, 09:38 AM
What internal temp do you try to reach before pulling your chicken off the smoker/grill?

I've read anywhere from 150 - 180 (rubber) online. I try to pull at 165, but it seems to very as I move around the thermopen. If I get a 165 reading in one part of the thigh and a reading of 160 in another part - would you consider it done or keep cooking?

And yes it's true - I hate chicken too.

Jeff_in_KC
04-24-2009, 10:13 AM
What internal temp do you try to reach before pulling your chicken off the smoker/grill?

I've read anywhere from 150 - 180 (rubber) online. I try to pull at 165, but it seems to very as I move around the thermopen. If I get a 165 reading in one part of the thigh and a reading of 160 in another part - would you consider it done or keep cooking?

And yes it's true - I hate chicken too.

I wouldn't know what to tell you, Bob. I only pierce a thigh once. Hate to lose all the juices. If it reads 165 in that one piercing, it comes off the heat.

KC_Bobby
04-24-2009, 10:22 AM
What if it doesn't say 165? You repierce the skin later?

early mornin' smokin'
04-24-2009, 10:52 AM
i believe i was chanting the i hate chicken mantra at williepalloooooza at about 3am sunday

Jeff_in_KC
04-24-2009, 10:54 AM
What if it doesn't say 165? You repierce the skin later?

Nope... just kinda know how long it will be based on the temp and how hot the fire is. I usually don't ever get them pierced until they're really close or over anyway. Call it bad planning! :lol: It's usually an "Oh fark! I forgot to check the chicken temps!"

Just Pulin' Pork
04-24-2009, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't know what to tell you, Bob. I only pierce a thigh once. Hate to lose all the juices. If it reads 165 in that one piercing, it comes off the heat.

Jeff contact the Health Dept dude you became good friends with at Pleasant Hill, maybe he would let you use that infrared thermometer he had! Thats way no piercing is involved! :)

Que'inKC
04-24-2009, 02:47 PM
So that brings up a pretty good point...When is chicken actually DONE. I've been dealing with some rubbery chicken lately and I always thought it was because it wasn't cooked enough, but after some googling it seems that chicken turns rubbery when it's cook TOO much!

KC_Bobby
04-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I may drink heavily and do a chicken practice tonight.

Smokin' Joe
04-24-2009, 05:09 PM
So that brings up a pretty good point...When is chicken actually DONE. I've been dealing with some rubbery chicken lately and I always thought it was because it wasn't cooked enough, but after some googling it seems that chicken turns rubbery when it's cook TOO much!
That makes 2 of us! 165 is about as low as one should go to be safe correct?

Que'inKC
05-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Thought I would start up this thread again...

And yes I still hate Chicken...

This weekend at the GAB we got a 18th place call in the Invitational, but got 122nd in the open..Same recipe.

I now cook my chicken on a CS-450 and really like how it comes out...We usually cook in skin side down for about an hour at 275, then skin side up for another 45 or until it gets around 175, then baste...Comes out looking and tasting good, but just wish it was a little more juicy.

Am I not cooking it hot enough and for too long? Should I take it off when it reads 165?

I like our recipe, but just trying to tweak the process....

Thanks..J

KC_Bobby
05-26-2009, 11:14 AM
If I were to give ya advice, it would be the equivalent of Kevin Keitzman telling Bob Stoops how to win the Big 12.

Thanks and I'll listen off the air as we're also using a CS for chicken.

Que'inKC
05-26-2009, 11:18 AM
If I were to give ya advice, it would be the equivalent of Kevin Keitzman telling Bob Stoops how to win the Big 12.

Thanks and I'll listen off the air as we're also using a CS for chicken.

Hey maybe we'll both learn something then!!

Divemaster
05-26-2009, 11:41 AM

This weekend at the GAB we got a 18th place call in the Invitational, but got 122nd in the open..Same recipe.

I now cook my chicken on a CS-450 and really like how it comes out...We usually cook in skin side down for about an hour at 275, then skin side up for another 45 or until it gets around 175, then baste...Comes out looking and tasting good, but just wish it was a little more juicy.

Am I not cooking it hot enough and for too long? Should I take it off when it reads 165?

Thanks..J
I think you answered your own question... I usually pull mine around 165.

The Pickled Pig
05-26-2009, 11:41 AM

Thanks..J

Are you brining or injecting with an enhanced solution (i.e., Fab)? Those will make your chicken more juicy. Also, try the magic blue bottle.

We've done well turning in thighs cooked to 170-185 at contests so i think your temps are just fine.

I think the forced convection in the CS cookers can dry meat out if you're not careful. We use ours for ribs which spend a lot of time in foil.

Que'inKC
05-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Paul,

We are not brining or injecting with FAB, just marinading...I've done a lot of chicken in the CS and it really doesn't come out dry, but it's not overly juicey either...

bayoustylebbq
05-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Jeff- I don't inject either... But we do brine. I think you are cooking them too long... I try and pull them when they reach 160-165 and carry over will finish them... Not that I can teach you anything about cooking Q...

Que'inKC
05-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Jeff- I don't inject either... But we do brine. I think you are cooking them too long... I try and pull them when they reach 160-165 and carry over will finish them... Not that I can teach you anything about cooking Q...

I don't think you were next to us this last weekend...I think you might be talking about KC Can Crew and Jeff Spurgeon...

But thanks for the advice...Jeff

The Pickled Pig
05-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Paul,

We are not brining or injecting with FAB, just marinading...I've done a lot of chicken in the CS and it really doesn't come out dry, but it's not overly juicey either...

Brining, Fab, or a Parkay bath will all make your final product juicier if that is what you want to achieve.

Cooking to a lower temperature might actually create less juice and internal moisture as the fat may not completely render.

Que'inKC
05-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Well I think that is just one of many things we are trying to achieve..:-)

Thanks for the help Paul!

Butcher BBQ
05-26-2009, 06:05 PM

Been playing with an item this year. My scores have been above average for me.

Jacked UP BBQ
05-26-2009, 07:54 PM
I always wonder why people use parkay instead of real butter? I think parkay is gross.

NelsonC
05-26-2009, 07:59 PM
I always wonder why people use parkay instead of real butter? I think parkay is gross.

Probably because it doesn't solidify when it cools (assuming they are using the liquid form that i've seen at a lot of contests). By itself or on something where its taste is dominant, I agree its gross. I think the majority of people use it for its cooking properties (a liquid fat), and on BBQ, the taste is easily masked. That arguement isn't completely sound though, because wouldn't a neutral tasting vegetable oil do the same thing?

Mutha Chicken BBQ
05-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Been playing with an item this year. My scores have been above average for me.

I see a purchase in the near future.:-D

KC_Bobby
05-26-2009, 09:53 PM
me too

The Pickled Pig
05-26-2009, 10:55 PM

I don't know the roots of using Parkay in BBQ contests. But I do know that BBQ sauce sticks better to margerine than it does to butter.

musicmanryann
05-26-2009, 10:57 PM
I don't know the roots of using Parkay in BBQ contests. But I do know that BBQ sauce sticks better to margerine than it does to butter.

That is the first time I have heard it articulated that way. Thank you Paul!

Divemaster
05-27-2009, 07:58 AM

That is the first time I have heard it articulated that way. Thank you Paul!
That's the first time I've heard that too...

All I know is that the next comp determines if I really hate chicken or not... Last comp was a 4th, if I can bring it up, I may actually have to like chicken..:eek:

KC_Bobby
05-27-2009, 08:46 AM
You're complaining about 4th? Unless that come only had single digit teams I'd be ecstatic.

Divemaster
05-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Nope, 15 teams... New receipe and I'm still 'Tweeking' it, but over-all, I'm not complaining...

Que'inKC
05-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Nope, 15 teams... New receipe and I'm still 'Tweeking' it, but over-all, I'm not complaining...

Come'on hook a brotha up...Give me somethin....:icon_sad

Divemaster
05-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Come'on hook a brotha up...Give me somethin....:icon_sad

OK, OK. I just hate to see you suffer like this... It all starts with the chicken... starting with the 3rd week of life you have to start massaging it and feeding it beer.... Oops, wait that's my brisket (which at the same comp came in 10th out of 15)....

Que'inKC
05-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Dang...I see how you are...

Butcher BBQ
05-27-2009, 02:55 PM
OK, OK. I just hate to see you suffer like this... It all starts with the chicken... starting with the 3rd week of life you have to start massaging it and feeding it beer.... Oops, wait that's my brisket (which at the same comp came in 10th out of 15)....

Now thats funny:lol:rubbing his chicken:icon_bugeyed.

Que'inKC
05-27-2009, 02:59 PM

Come'on throw the brother a bone...We love your marinades, use them all the time..How bout some chix help..J:-D

Divemaster
05-27-2009, 03:03 PM

Come'on throw the brother a bone...We love your marinades, use them all the time..How bout some chix help..J:-D
Now THAT'S funny...

Que'inKC
05-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Man....I really sound like I'm begging now...I really need some HELP!

Butcher BBQ
05-27-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm not trying to hijack this thread. We have been using one ourself for about 4 to 5 contest and its doing fine. Still has a long way to go before production can start. Believe it or not maybe 8 months to a year. It took over a year for the brisket and an additional 9 months for the pork. Sorry about this but maybe some day I will learn about saying something before its ready, NOT.

Just Pulin' Pork
05-27-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm not trying to hijack this thread. We have been using one ourself for about 4 to 5 contest and its doing fine. Still has a long way to go before production can start. Believe it or not maybe 8 months to a year. It took over a year for the brisket and an additional 9 months for the pork. Sorry about this but maybe some day I will learn about saying something before its ready, NOT.

Just out of curiosity are you sampling this yourself or are there others out there using it and providing feedback.

Butcher BBQ
05-27-2009, 03:45 PM
I have done all testing and cooking with it.

Divemaster
05-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Just out of curiosity are you sampling this yourself or are there others out there using it and providing feedback.

I have done all testing and cooking with it.

Sorry dude, sounds like your barking up the wrong tree (wait, isn't that another thread????)

bayoustylebbq
05-28-2009, 09:20 AM

I hate to see a guy suffer like this... :-P

If you want, I can PM you what we do. Our chicken does pretty well for us. 7th at the GAB open last weekend!

Que'inKC
05-28-2009, 09:21 AM
I hate to see a guy suffer like this... :-P

If you want, I can PM you what we do. Our chicken does pretty well for us. 7th at the GAB open last weekend!

That would be great! Thank You

bayoustylebbq
05-28-2009, 09:48 AM
That would be great! Thank You

You have a new message!

KC_Bobby
05-28-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm suffering too :icon_shy

bayoustylebbq
05-28-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm suffering too :icon_shy

I guess I shouldn't have opened this can of worms! :oops:

Butcher BBQ
05-28-2009, 11:22 AM
I guess I shouldn't have opened this can of worms! :oops:

Welcome to my world.

bayoustylebbq
05-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Welcome to my world.

I do want to thank you for putting out good products... I use them on Pork and Brisket, and do very well! I like Dodge County Smokers sign... Very nice advertisement for y'all...

KC_Bobby
05-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Sean, I was just kidding around. But Boondoggle Chicken is generally not What good is

bayoustylebbq
05-29-2009, 08:26 AM
Sean, I was just kidding around.

I know you were... Just had to through that out there...:wink:

Jacked UP BBQ
05-29-2009, 09:11 AM
rip, trim, shave, marinade, wipe down, season, roll, re season, braise, remove and sauce, bake on, remove, box, turn in, and win!!!!!!

KC_Bobby
05-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Doing all that (other then the last step) and it still sucks

Alexa RnQ
05-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Break it down, then. Where are your scores showing that you need improvement? Is it texture, or is it your flavor package?

KC_Bobby
05-29-2009, 12:46 PM
It's both of those, I have a hard time averaging an 8 in both. Apps, not a problem - getting about 42/43 of the possible 45 there.

QueTPiesBBQ
05-29-2009, 12:59 PM
It's both of those, I have a hard time averaging an 8 in both. Apps, not a problem - getting about 42/43 of the possible 45 there.

I love chicken, but can't seem to cook it worth anything for the judges to love it. I seem to finish back of the pack in chicken all the time. Well except for a 7th place last year, but the temp was 19 degrees and I think everyone else must have sucked bad that day. Seems like it doesn't matter how I cook it, the judges think it is just average. Apperance scores do well, just not taste and tenderness. Curse of the chicken?

Sledneck
05-29-2009, 04:07 PM
I love chicken, but can't seem to cook it worth anything for the judges to love it. I seem to finish back of the pack in chicken all the time. Well except for a 7th place last year, but the temp was 19 degrees and I think everyone else must have sucked bad that day. Seems like it doesn't matter how I cook it, the judges think it is just average. Apperance scores do well, just not taste and tenderness. Curse of the chicken?Trust me you have no idea what the curse of the chicken is....