PDA

View Full Version : Award Winning Competition Chicken by Pickled pig

Sledneck
03-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Amazing and very detailed competition chicken process by paul

http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/bbq-contests/894-award-winning-competition-chicken.html

YankeeBBQ
03-19-2009, 11:03 AM
The old UFO Social Club method

Jacked UP BBQ
03-19-2009, 11:24 AM
That's a great method if it works for him, that is a great write up.

BBQ_Mayor
03-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Too much work. But they sure do look nice.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-19-2009, 11:54 AM
I think it is a lot more typing then work. Trimming that thigh should take all of about two minutes tops including the skin.

Balls Casten
03-19-2009, 12:15 PM
That would sure cut into my drinking time.
I am hungry now though ....

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Oughtta be a rule against building your own chicken.

WineMaster
03-19-2009, 12:37 PM
I didnt think you could season your meat till after inspection though. ?????

Brew-B-Q
03-19-2009, 12:50 PM
You can trim it, but not season it.

WineMaster
03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
You can trim it, but not season it.

Ok, so then to do it this way, you have to bring the chicken and the skins separated to the comp and put them together there???????

Porky
03-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Great tutorial for the comp cooks and enlightening for the backyard guys who just what to know how it is done. Thanks Paul for great write up and Sled for posting the link.

Brew-B-Q
03-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Ok, so then to do it this way, you have to bring the chicken and the skins separated to the comp and put them together there???????

Yes, that is how it would be done.

musicmanryann
03-19-2009, 03:23 PM
That is an awesome post and an addition to the great and detailed recipe he already has on his site, I have just a few questions and comments for discussion.

I wonder if you could do this but add the bones back in before wrapping them--Does anyone think that would work?

When I first saw that plate with the pile of skins as well as the one with the tablespoon of fat scraped from the skin I about lost my lunch, lol!:icon_sick:lol:

Does anyone have any idea why he, or anyone else, chooses to use parkay instead of regular butter? I saw a video where Mike Davis uses the squirt bottle of parkay as well, and wondered if it made a difference.

If a person wanted to do everything he outlined, but chose to go "low and slow", any ideas on how that would effect the end product?

Chipper
03-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Yet another eye opener. Thanks!!!

ModelMaker
03-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks for takin the time and puttin in the effort.
Very well done!
ModelMaker

Big George's BBQ
03-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks Sled That was very interesting

CTSmokehouse
03-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Oughtta be a rule against building your own chicken.

That is humorous in that I Smell Smoke is the father of Franken-Chicken! (see Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbeque Road Trip!) and you are HeSmellsLikeSmoke!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

BTW Red Thermapens rule!

Cliff H.
03-19-2009, 11:51 PM
I had no idea that you could disassemble the chicken and then reassemble it at the comp. need to get one them rule books read it maybe.

That was a great tutorial. Thanks.

Dale P
03-20-2009, 04:51 AM
We use Smart Balance because we care about all Judges health.

And I do not mind being on a unique team.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-20-2009, 07:15 AM
That is humorous in that I Smell Smoke is the father of Franken-Chicken! (see Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbeque Road Trip!) and you are HeSmellsLikeSmoke!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

BTW Red Thermapens rule!

I was only half joking. The amount of work involved seems staggering, but you sure can't argue with the results. It is no wonder that my chicken sucks in comparison.:biggrin:

watg?
03-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Wow.....and I thought i was chicken obsessed.
(forget it sled:-D)

YankeeBBQ
03-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Wow.....and I thought i was chicken obsessed.
(forget it sled:-D)

After a few of shots of Patron You'll be right over at Sleds trimming, deboning, and scraping chicken. It's ok though. By the time you figured out you trimmed 132 thighs Sled, myself and a couple of other teams will be all set.:roll:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
03-20-2009, 01:56 PM
After a few of shots of Patron You'll be right over at Sleds trimming, deboning, and scraping chicken. It's ok though. By the time you figured out you trimmed 132 thighs Sled, myself and a couple of other teams will be all set.:roll:

do I have to make an appointment or just show up at the WATG? camp?

watg?
03-20-2009, 02:36 PM
do I have to make an appointment or just show up at the WATG? camp?

Its outcall only, no incall, what do you think I am running here some kind of a flop house?:eusa_clap:-D

Big George's BBQ
03-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Its outcall only, no incall, what do you think I am running here some kind of a flop house?:eusa_clap:-D

Well yes :-P

TN_BBQ
05-02-2009, 02:30 PM

No. You can do all the prep work on site (or at home). Just no seasoning, cooking, injecting, brining, etc. can be done prior to inspection.

It is much easier to accomplish this at home on Thursday night. The luxuries of running water and a refrigerator are nice. But, as many of our friends can attest, we do not always get this done ahead of time and our chicken cook may end up spending 3 or more hours prepping chicken on Fridays while everyone else is having fun.

U2CANQUE
05-02-2009, 03:36 PM
By the time I show up, usually on a thursday night, I try to have everything trimmed and sealed back up in large bags (love having a buddy with a butcher shop), and even have went as far as having all the greens gone through, cleaned, and ready to go into the box.....one of these days will grow a pair and even do boxes up on Wednesday, cooler them, and then, once I get the contest boxes just transfer greens, straighten up, and then POW....no work to do besides vend the Hot Squeeze and Blues CD's......but, until then, the only thing I usually have to do is work on presentation boxes......

ov1
05-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks Sled and Paul, this looks like a little more work but very detailed. Seems like it would be a little stressful trying to time the meat to within 5 minutes before turnin.

scoutguy74
05-02-2009, 09:55 PM
I did my chicken this weekend this way. The 1 1/2 hour prep time sucked for just 12 thighs but the results were great. I won't get our scores till Monday but they were good enough to help get 3rd overall out of 27 teams. Here's our box.

PatioDaddio
05-03-2009, 10:37 AM
While I truly appreciate the effort, craftsmanship and attention-to-detail of his chicken, I can't help but ask, shouldn't a chicken thigh look like a chicken thigh?

I'm a competitive cook, but not a CBJ. I'd be interested to hear what you judges think.

John

PatioDaddio
05-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Oops... I just noticed that he has the average appearance scores in the post. It's pretty obvious that judges don't have much of a problem with "pillow chicken".

John

Jeff_in_KC
05-03-2009, 11:42 AM
So what does a chicken thigh actually look like?

PatioDaddio
05-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Huh? You can see them in the meat section at your local supermarket. :shock: :-D

I kid, of course. I've just never seen a chicken grow rectangular thighs with perfectly taught skin completely covering it.

Here's a pic of one of mine. I'm not saying mine is better, or even as good. I simply offer this as an example of a more "natural-looking" thigh.

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/images/gallery/ChickenCloseUp.jpg

John

Jeff Hughes
05-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Seems like it would be a little stressful trying to time the meat to within 5 minutes before turnin.

My best rib and chicken scores happen when I go from the cooker to the box to the table...

bbqczar
05-03-2009, 03:20 PM
My best rib and chicken scores happen when I go from the cooker to the box to the table...

Ours too,chicken and ribs are brought off the cooker,ribs sliced,chicken adjusted and prime pieces picked, and into the box they go.