PDA

View Full Version : Brining Competition Chicken

Sledneck
03-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Yes or no poll

Jacked UP BBQ
03-19-2009, 09:51 AM
I vote according to last years recipe. This year no more.

BBQchef33
03-19-2009, 09:52 AM
can i add 'sometimes' to the poll?

Sledneck
03-19-2009, 09:54 AM
can i add 'sometimes' to the poll?
Nope

BBQchef33
03-19-2009, 09:58 AM
ok, so then I wont tell you I do it 'sometimes' and why.... and you can continue your 13th place winning streak. :)

getyourrubonbbq
03-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Inquiring minds would like to know why "sometimes"? Is it the event, temperature etc...?

Sledneck
03-19-2009, 10:05 AM
If so inclined please share brine recipe and/or length of brining time

Jacked UP BBQ
03-19-2009, 10:09 AM
I brine in water, dr pepper, sugar in the raw, kosher salt, and some fresh herbs.

BBQchef33
03-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Inquiring minds would like to know why "sometimes"? Is it the event, temperature etc...?

I cant since sometimes is not an answer. :twisted:

but if it were, i would say it depends on which recipe I was using, if i was marinading or not, and the way I was going to cook it.. hot and fast, or smoking it for a few hours first. The litttle ones i usually cook quickly and the marinade is sufficent.

Normally, the bag arse nasty yellow ones like perdue, white gem, etc.. I would brine for a few hours becase they are going to need longer cook times. The little ones, very fresh ones, etc.. I would just marinade and cook hot and quick.

but i can't say any of this because its not an option.:wink:

ique
03-19-2009, 11:11 AM
I use a wasabi glaze in my brine

Neal
03-19-2009, 11:16 AM
We use a simple salt/sugar/water combination. Doesn't really impart any flavor - just aiming to retain moisture.

The Giggler
03-19-2009, 11:16 AM

Eureka! That's the secret!

Never brined chicken. Marinade - Yes.

YankeeBBQ
03-19-2009, 11:18 AM

Don't laugh

Jacked UP BBQ
03-19-2009, 11:26 AM

Thats why it is so damn good.

Divemaster
03-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Voted no but that may change after the Shannon class.....

Fatback Joe
03-19-2009, 01:57 PM
I brine everytime. Went from middle of the pack to usually in the top 10 when I started brining.

musicmanryann
03-19-2009, 02:37 PM
This video sold/taught me on the whole brining thing. It's about turkey, but I think you can apply it to all poultry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiSfKDiUavo&feature=player_embedded

ihbobry
03-20-2009, 07:10 AM
A very quick brine of balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and nutmeg, helps to give it a nice roasted color. :)

But if you buy the freshest chicken of the right religious persuasion you don't need to consider brining for the normal reason, only if you want to add to the flavor profile. We like our chicken to tast like chicken though...

Dale P
03-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Pickle juice! MMMM GOOD

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
03-20-2009, 09:03 PM
I have been playing with brines...I think I will be brining at comps from here on out..
Sal

Coz
03-20-2009, 10:31 PM
While we have only competed in 4 contest I believe that for us the brining works.Out of the 3 regular KCBS comps we had a 8th and 10 then a 23rd when I overcooked the chicken.The other contest was the Royal Invitational and we were 23rd in chicken there.For now we will keep practicing this method.

thillin
03-21-2009, 08:15 AM
We brine our 1/2 birds for IBCA.

ihbobry
03-21-2009, 03:33 PM
I was being a little bit of a wiseass before but surely any foody bbq person knows a Kosher chicken is brined (kosher salt and water only)...right?

And the fresher you get it the more retention of the brine one has?

Point is, let someone else do the work. Your not getting any more doing it yourself. Stay away from organic, or yellow/orange. My suggestion is chicken should be pale and fatty and kosher and then you can disassemble/reconstitute (as needed) and make some chicken.

If anyone is re-brining Kosher Chicken I'd like to know what your seeing as I have not tried it nor think it would do anything really. (unless your trying to make the chicken taste like something else)

ps...So I guess If your brining it would be non Kosher??????????

BBQchef33
03-21-2009, 05:32 PM
are kosher chickens always brined?? Even if its not stated as brined(or enhanced)??

ihbobry
03-21-2009, 06:49 PM
are kosher chickens always brined?? Even if its not stated as brined(or enhanced)??

As I understand Kosher chicken, yes it is always brined. I don't know anything as I am not kosher, or Jewish for that matter. But I know that kosher chicken cannot touch the floor of the slaughter house, knives cannot be chipped/dinged, bones cannot be broken. They are eviserated and plucked as in any other plant. And then are put into a brine...This is based on a visit to a Hasidam run plant in Sullivan county (for other purposes). They used a salt water brine.

from a website about extreme Kosher certification ...which sounds like they are dry salted??? ...but would have a similar effect I think...

One of the most innovative methods employed by industrial kashrus is the poultry plants. The halachic procedure of soaking and salting chicken and meat is very straightforward: 1/2 hour soak, 1 hour salt, 3 times rinse. What is not so simple is how a plant logistically and expeditiously kashers up to 120,000 chickens per day. The answer is a specially designed moving soak tank, where 3,000 chickens are continuously delivered by conveyer from beginning to end. At the end of the soak cycle, the by automated salt machines, and conveyed around the plant for one hour. After the required three hadochos, rinses, the chickens are cooled in giant chillers to 34oF. At this point, the chickens may be singed and sealed with plumbes, kosher wing clips, and are ready for packing.

Kosher chickens are parted. I buy parts. And they are packaged as 4% soulution enhanced (where I buy them in Massachusetts) I guess this is the retention average.

IF I AM WRONG PLEASE CORRECt ME ...I only know about the stuff I buy have seen & have been told.

Should also be noted this is the cheapest chicken I can buy and I use only about 2/3 of what I buy.

Meat Burner
03-21-2009, 06:52 PM
We just buy chicken that looks good, cut off the extra fat, marinade in Italian salad dressing for a couple hours,rub, cook and enjoy. Sometime just brine with salt and sugar which seems to work pretty well to. Just a suggestion.