PDA

View Full Version : Cooking on trailer ramp

Brew-B-Q
03-17-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm trying to finalize my trailer needs and want to get feedback from people who cook on the tailgate of their trailer. Looking for pros and cons - here's what I have so far. I'm looking at a 7x14 tandem trailer.

Pros
- Don't need to haul smoker up / down ramp. It weighs around 600 pounds.
- Easy access to inside of trailer where meat will be prepped, boxed, etc.
- Consistent surface to cook on, versus wet/muddy grass, etc.

Cons
- Can't cover smoker in rain like I could with an EZ-UP
- Risk of fire
- Cost to get heavy duty door strong enough to support smoker and cooks

What do others who have/do cook on a ramp door think?

Thanks - Pat

DawgPhan
03-17-2009, 10:57 AM
I think that you could still cover the smoker with an EZ-up. You just need to extend the legs a little.

Spydermike72
03-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I think that you could still cover the smoker with an EZ-up. You just need to extend the legs a little.

Exactly!! I know of at least 2 teams that do this. I think they are both members here so I will let them share the details.

BBQchef33
03-17-2009, 11:56 AM
i bought the my trailer with the reinfoced ramp(Car hauler), with full intention of cooking on the ramp.

That lasted one cook, maybe 2 cooks.

I found myself stepping up onto and off the ramp over and over all weekend long. For whatever reasons, in most cases, I found myself using the back door to go in and out and not the side door. Steping up all weekend wore my knees out early into the weekend.

I also discovered I was unable to CLOSE THE DAMN door at night. Chilly, noise, rain, skeeters, etc... If you have AC, you're screwed too. For whatever reason, its nice to be able to close the door to get some sleep, or stay dry while you work.

Although the EZup covered the ramp and cooker, when it rained, it dumped the runoff onto the ramp and splashed into the trailer and if its windy, your wet AND cold.

So ever since, I roll the 800lb spicewine down the ramp, hang a left and set it up on a piece of plywood a few feet behind and to the left of the ramp.

Pros:
I have a clear shot in and out of the trailer.
I can shut the door when I need to or have to.
I am not stepping up a couple of hundred times all weekend and killing my old knees.

Cons:
Bigger spot.

n-2-que
03-17-2009, 12:42 PM
I have to agree with alot of BBQchef reasoning

We use to have the large spicewine on the back using 2 5ton car jack thingies worked great but never had any rain or anything at the times we tried this. but came to just realize was easier to take on and off, we would just snag next team to us to help out.

Now with the FEC we just rolled in and out no problems, time to try our BGE in the table but still just putting everything under or half under our 10x20 canopy all in all is easier.

getyourrubonbbq
03-17-2009, 01:07 PM
The ramp doors are nice, but if your going to build/have a trailer built. Use it for comps. and need a place to prep and sleep. I'd go with one with a porch. QueTPies BBQ can give you a heads up on how they set theirs up. It looked awesome in LR.

Brew-B-Q
03-17-2009, 01:27 PM
I also discovered I was unable to CLOSE THE DAMN door at night.

Thanks for the feedback - some good info here as always.

Not being able to close the door is a big thing for me to consider. Part of the reason for an enclosed trailer is to have a place to work out of the wind and rain, but that would be compromised with the door open. I know I could put up a curtain or something, but I don't know how well that would work in a storm.

So ever since, I roll the 800lb spicewine down the ramp, hang a left and set it up on a piece of plywood a few feet behind and to the left of the ramp.

Is the plywood only when you're on grass, to prevent it from sinking or shifting?

ulikabbq
03-17-2009, 01:32 PM
I am looking at a ramp door setup as well and these strip doors are relatively inexpensive. My cooker weighs in at about 1100 lbs so I am willing to try the ramp door setup.

http://www.strip-curtains.com/proCat/stripDoors.php

ulikabbq
03-17-2009, 01:38 PM
They also make those strip doors in black so people can't shigg ya

BBQchef33
03-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback - some good info here as always.

Not being able to close the door is a big thing for me to consider. Part of the reason for an enclosed trailer is to have a place to work out of the wind and rain, but that would be compromised with the door open. I know I could put up a curtain or something, but I don't know how well that would work in a storm.

Is the plywood only when you're on grass, to prevent it from sinking or shifting?

I put up a curtain when the back is in heavy sunlight and it keeps the fridge cooler. I also made a mosquito screen and put it on a shade roller that hooks onto the inside of the door when I need it. The screen is made from 2 sheets of nylon screening(for doors), left individual so I can roll up one side, or both.

i use the plywood to transport the spicewine. Its a 4x4 foot square that has 3 2x4's permanently mounted in a 'U" shape that fits tightly around the wheels. The spice box slides directly into the 'U". The fourth piece i screw into place after I roll the spicewine onto it. It locks the wheels in place on all 4 sides for transport. It then gets screwed to the floor. The hole in the center mates up with a pipe sleeve in the bottom of the spicewine, and a hole in my floorboards where a pair of 1.5 inch nuts are welded to the chassis. A 14 inch long bolt is then put thru the sleeve in the spicewide, thru the plywood and bolted to the chassis. The spice wine is thn actually bolted down. It sounds like alot, but its less than 2 minutes worth of work, and I dont have to deal with ratchet straps and worrying about it shifting. Just roll it on, and bolt it down. The bolt is actually a piece of 1-1/8 threaded rod with a 4 inch long steel rod welded to the top so its a T bar. Needs no tools to screw in.

That same piece of plywood seconds as a platform on grass. If I'm on blacktop, its not needed unless its uneven.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/bbqchef33/spiceboard.jpg

BBQchef33
03-17-2009, 01:57 PM
i used to roll MOAB up and down the ramp.. 1000lbs plus. My son and I were able to do it alone. I can do the spicewine alone also.

being mine is a car hauler, and I have 7 foot ceilings, the ramp is not at a very aggressinve angle.

Also, if its a tandem, you can crank it up all the way in front to lower the attack angle in the rear to make it easier to roll up. (if its a single axle, watch out for that wheelie. Don't ask me how I know that :redface:).

Brew-B-Q
03-17-2009, 02:01 PM
i use the plywood to transport the spicewine. Its a 4x4 foot square that has 3 2x4's permanently mounted in a 'U" shape that fits tightly around the wheels. The spice box slides directly into the 'U". The fourth piece i screw into place after I roll the spicewine onto it. It locks the wheels in place on all 4 sides for transport. It then gets screwed to the floor. The hole in the center mates up with a pipe sleeve in the bottom of the spicewine, and a hole in my floorboards where a pair of 1.5 inch nuts are welded to the chassis. A 14 inch long bolt is then put thru the sleeve in the spicewide, thru the plywood and bolted to the chassis. The spice wine is thn actually bolted down. It sounds like alot, but its less than 2 minutes worth of work, and I dont have to deal with ratchet straps and worrying about it shifting. Just roll it on, and bolt it down. The bolt is actually a piece of 1-1/8 threaded rod with a 4 inch long steel rod welded to the top so its a T bar. Needs no tools to screw in.

That same piece of plywood seconds as a platform on grass. If I'm on blacktop, its not needed unless its uneven.

OK, thanks for the information. My smoker has two large wheels on it, but you need to tip it back to engage them with the ground. A nice feature as it will be more stable in the trailer. I like your set-up, but not sure if something like that would work for me.

Brew-B-Q
03-17-2009, 02:10 PM
They also make those strip doors in black so people can't shigg ya

Unfortunately, I'm not too worried about people shigging me. Those doors are an interesting option.

KC_Bobby
03-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Phil, any photos of it bolted down in the trailer? Definately something to consider for my BWS.

Smokin Mike
03-17-2009, 03:50 PM
I wished I looked around before getting my travel trailer, there are some great deals on porch trailers out there at the "other" forum.

QueTPiesBBQ
03-17-2009, 04:01 PM
I have seen several teams use the ramp for cooking. For me I wanted something that would be covered, that is why we went with a porch trailer. I really like it. Just wait till Lula, ms and come by and see the trailer getyourrubon! We have some plans on finishing out the inside with some stuff between now and then.

getyourrubonbbq
03-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Will do Chris. I'm looking forward to seeing you again.

QueTPiesBBQ
03-17-2009, 04:21 PM
should be fun, hopefully it will be good weather. Just don't beat up on me too bad with that smoker.

U2CANQUE
03-17-2009, 04:26 PM
my solution to this problem of covering the smoker...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=1243

and then, the a/c solution, the pseudo doorway, seals everything great! heat and cold....
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=1235

U2CANQUE
03-17-2009, 04:27 PM
also got portable stairs to help with the knees.....not so much of a up and down...
the company is hyperlite.....

Brew-B-Q
03-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Nice idea, but probably out of my price range. Plus, I'd be worried about my smoker alone taking up 1/3 of available cargo capacity.

I've thought about rigging a tarp over the smoker, connected to each corner of the ramp.

SmokeInDaEye
03-17-2009, 07:29 PM
I use my back ramp to cook on, I just made the trailer smaller (5x10.5) and the cookers less heavy (wsm's). Made a vinyl "door" for the back for rain and I'm all set. Figured why waste 6feet of ramp space in a 20x20 spot? Less cost pulling it to contests too.

Brew-B-Q
03-18-2009, 11:02 AM
I wished I looked around before getting my travel trailer, there are some great deals on porch trailers out there at the "other" forum.

Ok, I don't want to step on any toes, but can someone give me a hint as to what this other forum is?

musicmanryann
03-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Ok, I don't want to step on any toes, but can someone give me a hint as to what this other forum is?

Me too?:redface:

ulikabbq
03-18-2009, 04:14 PM
pretty sure that would be the bbqforum.com in the sell section there are a few trailers available
http://www.thebbqforum.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&query=category&category=Sell

CivilWarBBQ
03-18-2009, 11:01 PM
That is a really intriguing little trailer U2CANQUE. What do they sell for?

BBQchef33
03-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Phil, any photos of it bolted down in the trailer? Definately something to consider for my BWS.

i will take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

FatBoyz
03-19-2009, 07:37 AM
i have to agree with phil unless your going to put in a big hood and keep your smoker inside so you can close things up put it outside. we looked at puting a hood in out trailer and desided hell push it in and out if for some reason god forbid there was ever a fire better out of the traler then in it

Brew-B-Q
03-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks - I've decided we will not cook on the ramp. The cons outweigh the pros for sure, in our situation at least.

swamprb
03-20-2009, 08:00 PM
my solution to this problem of covering the smoker...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=1243

and then, the a/c solution, the pseudo doorway, seals everything great! heat and cold....
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=1235

This is a great idea!

I was thinking about rigging an awning to my trailer and utilizing the canvas sun room I never used that came with my tent trailer.

Smokin Mike
03-20-2009, 09:41 PM
pretty sure that would be the bbqforum.com in the sell section there are a few trailers available
http://www.thebbqforum.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&query=category&category=Sell

thanks for pointing that out,, I'm in florida enjoying the fine sun and fine women:twisted:, I usually watch whatever I posted, thanks for pointing people to the right area!

out of respect I do not post that forum or any other forums, but most folks know what the "other" forum is:icon_cool

HoDeDo
03-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Most toy hauler ramp doors are rated to support about 1200lbs. So know your limits on weight. You can put an ez-up over your door.... Carefree of Colorado makes Ramp door tents, patios, and awnings.... so you can mix and match to suit your needs. I had an "add-a-wall" on my old toy hauler... and rarely used it. I never thought I had enough room on my door to actually use it to hold cookers. and a worksurface, and me...

And alot of the things Phil mentioned are very valid. Cold/Wind/Rain are much easier to deal with in a closed trailer. noise from a neighborly generator also better with the door shut at night...

Put nice pnumatic tires under that cooker, so it will roll on all surfaces easily, and over ramp breakovers.... and enjoy your trailer!

Dutchovendude
03-23-2009, 06:25 PM
I have heard of the Fire Department requiring the smokers to be a certain number of feet away from awnings or tents. Anyone else heard of that?