PDA

View Full Version : Ankeny,IA Arrowhead Ducks Unlimited Cancelled

Buster Dog BBQ
03-11-2009, 08:29 PM
just found out tonight this has been cancelled.

n-2-que
03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
dang it

Buster Dog BBQ
03-11-2009, 09:34 PM
dang it
Tell me about it Bill. Two contest canceled and both were ones I enjoyed.

Jeff_in_KC
03-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Sorry you guys lost a contest. You should come down with Bob's brother and cook Pleasant Hill. I know, I know... not the same weekend but still. :wink:

Buster Dog BBQ
03-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Sorry you guys lost a contest. You should come down with Bob's brother and cook Pleasant Hill. I know, I know... not the same weekend but still. :wink:
I'm going to Old School/High Tech that weekend.

KC_Bobby
03-11-2009, 10:14 PM

Funny, I almost posted the same thing when I first read this. While not the same weekend, it's prior to the Memorial holiday weekend annual summer gas hike.

thenewguy
03-12-2009, 12:02 AM
I heard this news last weekend-what a bummer!
Why do the closest ones have to go away?

BBQ_Mayor
03-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Dang it! I really liked that contest. Wonder what happened?

That makes 2 cancelled for Iowa this year.:cry:

Buster Dog BBQ
03-12-2009, 07:06 AM
I heard this news last weekend-what a bummer!
Why do the closest ones have to go away?
Any ideas why? My guess is they lost a sponsor or two and it became cost prohibitive.

ModelMaker
03-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Brew-B-Que in Independence cancelled because they never made a profit for their charity. Mostly due to not having any Fri. night money makers.
Personally this one will be missed as it was the first one we cooked.
ModelMaker

Buster Dog BBQ
03-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Brew-B-Que in Independence cancelled because they never made a profit for their charity. Mostly due to not having any Fri. night money makers.
Personally this one will be missed as it was the first one we cooked.
ModelMaker
Yeah, Ankeny never really did anything to generate any extra money. The bands and entertainment were provided by summerfest. They basically only had the entry fees and some raffle money. Some people didn't even know the BBQ was going on.

musicmanryann
03-12-2009, 01:16 PM

What cook-off is in Pleasant Hill???

n-2-que
03-12-2009, 01:44 PM
well think that is 2 down which we was going to do ... we are not doing westmont this year =/ i have alist of 8 comps we are looking at but money wise will prob hit 3-4 of these this year. Mostly when i get the new smoker tomorrow... did i say that hint hint buster i will be talking to you alot bro lol.

Brew-B-Q
03-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Bill, you're getting a new smoker? What kind?

KC_Bobby
03-12-2009, 03:27 PM
I'd guess an egg based on his last comment.

Buster Dog BBQ
03-12-2009, 04:07 PM
well think that is 2 down which we was going to do ... we are not doing westmont this year =/ i have alist of 8 comps we are looking at but money wise will prob hit 3-4 of these this year. Mostly when i get the new smoker tomorrow... did i say that hint hint buster i will be talking to you alot bro lol.
You ca double up Waterloo and LaPorte City.

n-2-que
03-12-2009, 05:31 PM
yea a xtra lrg egger adding with the fec100..... wanted to get pics before i said :P ok i couldn't wait lol.

thought i heard waterloo was not going this year? or have wrong rumors??

Hey brew where ya been hiding

Coz
03-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Sorry you guys lost 2 comps and I hope its not more before it all shakes out.Its lookin like we lost 3 in Wi.

watertowerbbq
03-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Bummed! :sad:

Not sure we are going to do any with the economy, but it was going to be hard no to do this one. It's about 1/2 mile from my house. Had a real good time the last couple years and met some really nice people there. Guess now we'll be looking at Nevada or State Center. I guess I got spoiled the last couple of years with it being so close. Hopefully they'll be back next year.

Buster Dog BBQ
03-12-2009, 07:12 PM
yea a xtra lrg egger adding with the fec100..... wanted to get pics before i said :P ok i couldn't wait lol.

Waterloo send out the forms already. Got mine in the mail earlier this week.

Buster Dog BBQ
03-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Bummed! :sad:

Not sure we are going to do any with the economy, but it was going to be hard no to do this one. It's about 1/2 mile from my house. Had a real good time the last couple years and met some really nice people there. Guess now we'll be looking at Nevada or State Center. I guess I got spoiled the last couple of years with it being so close. Hopefully they'll be back next year.
Well, they are both good contest. Nevada is moving to the campround this year so the location should be better. Only thing in State Center I didn't like was the people expecting you to provide them samples. And when I say expecting I mean almost grabbing it of the smoker.

watertowerbbq
03-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Well, they are both good contest. Nevada is moving to the campround this year so the location should be better. Only thing in State Center I didn't like was the people expecting you to provide them samples. And when I say expecting I mean almost grabbing it of the smoker.

I know what you mean. We cooked there in 2006 and it was our first contest. Trains were a pain, but Daryl put on a good contest. We had people walking through our spot and setting their stuff down on our tables. I had to ask a few people to stop putting their drinks on the hood of my truck. The guy next to me (Smokey Joel I believe) gave me some CAUTION tape and that helped a little.

That was also the first contest where we met BBQ Mayor and Shotgun!

musicmanryann
03-12-2009, 07:43 PM

Nevada moving = sweet!:) Although I work in Nevada and I can't figure out where a campground is.:oops: Is it south of New 30?

Jeff_in_KC
03-12-2009, 07:50 PM
What cook-off is in Pleasant Hill???

See my signature below.

Buster Dog BBQ
03-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Nevada moving = sweet!:) Although I work in Nevada and I can't figure out where a campground is.:oops: Is it south of New 30?
I think it is just down by where we were last year. Down by the soccer fields?

Buster Dog BBQ
03-12-2009, 08:36 PM
I know what you mean. We cooked there in 2006 and it was our first contest. Trains were a pain, but Daryl put on a good contest. We had people walking through our spot and setting their stuff down on our tables. I had to ask a few people to stop putting their drinks on the hood of my truck. The guy next to me (Smokey Joel I believe) gave me some CAUTION tape and that helped a little.

That was also the first contest where we met BBQ Mayor and Shotgun!
My first contest was there in 2007. Learned a ton from Rob at Munchin Hogs at the Hilton.

Trains and BBQ contest somehow go hand it hand it seems.

musicmanryann
03-12-2009, 10:45 PM
I think it is just down by where we were last year. Down by the soccer fields?

Oh so down on level ground. That is much better!

thenewguy
03-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Ankeny cancelled due to lack of sponsorship...Rumor is Marshalltown is struggling too. I'm crossing my fingers though!

BBQ_Mayor
03-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Ankeny cancelled due to lack of sponsorship...Rumor is Marshalltown is struggling too. I'm crossing my fingers though!

Marshalltowns not going anywhere. Thats the only one IBS backs. You have your schedule out yet?

Buster Dog BBQ
03-13-2009, 07:13 AM
I was at the last Iowa BBQ meeting and Marshalltown is still a go without question.

Did you sign up to be an IBS member? If you are doing four contes in the state, you should if you have not already so you can be entered for team of the year. You have to be in before 5/1.

pat
03-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Just read this and I am bummed!! Like said above it's always the ones closest to home.

musicmanryann
03-13-2009, 10:45 AM
I was at the last Iowa BBQ meeting and Marshalltown is still a go without question.

Did you sign up to be an IBS member? If you are doing four contes in the state, you should if you have not already so you can be entered for team of the year. You have to be in before 5/1.

So you have to register for four contests before 5/1, or be an IBS member?

This past weekend I attended the KCBS certified judging class in Des Moines and Lew Miller was there. He is the host of the Iowa State Barbque Championship and said that they just posted (last friday) the registration forms for the 2009 contest. He was extremely excited about it and was recruiting from the judges from the 70 new ones that were there. In no way did I get the feeling that they were struggling.

He also mentioned that they were working with two additional communities in Iowa to get two more KCBS sanctioned events, I don't know if they woudl be State Championships or not, but I found that to be good news especially in light of the Ankeny DU cancellation.

KC_Bobby
03-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Not that anyone has asked or cares ... but I'm going to tell ya anyway - our IA schedule includes:
BBQlossal
Marshalltown
W'loo
La Porte
Waucoma

Buster Dog BBQ
03-13-2009, 01:08 PM
So you have to register for four contests before 5/1, or be an IBS member?

This past weekend I attended the KCBS certified judging class in Des Moines and Lew Miller was there. He is the host of the Iowa State Barbque Championship and said that they just posted (last friday) the registration forms for the 2009 contest. He was extremely excited about it and was recruiting from the judges from the 70 new ones that were there. In no way did I get the feeling that they were struggling.

He also mentioned that they were working with two additional communities in Iowa to get two more KCBS sanctioned events, I don't know if they woudl be State Championships or not, but I found that to be good news especially in light of the Ankeny DU cancellation.

You have to be a member of the Iowa BBQ Society by 5/1.

It sounds like Mitchellville is trying for sanctioning on 9/13. I have never organized a contest, but I think it has to be approved by KCBS 90 days prior to the date.

Brew-B-Q
03-13-2009, 03:51 PM

Sounds like a pretty sweet setup.

Not hiding, just busy as all hell at work. Plus, I'm trying to find a new trailer for this season.

thenewguy
03-13-2009, 04:36 PM

Yeah I'm a card carring member...I really need to find the time to go to the meetings...We helped out at the judging class so I feel a little better!
I listed my schedule on my blog(shameless plug mod) Spanky and the meat mafia.blogspot.com
The plan is to do about 6-7 iowa contests, unless I run out of money or get too busy working.

BBQ_Mayor
03-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Not that anyone has asked or cares ... but I'm going to tell ya anyway - our IA schedule includes:
BBQlossal
Marshalltown
W'loo
La Porte
Waucoma

Looks like I'll be seeing a lot of the Boonedoggle boys. :eek:

Shotgun
03-13-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm going to Old School/High Tech that weekend.
Nooooo!

Buster Dog BBQ
03-13-2009, 09:25 PM
My schedule is on my blog as well. Looking to pick up two more contest. Maybe Min in May and probably River City Roundup in NE.

I think the comp level is going to be sky high in Iowa. Lots of great teams week end week out.

Shotgun
03-14-2009, 09:56 AM
I know that Nevada is going to happen, but was approached by a member of the Lincolnway Days committee to discuss the area. I told them that I'm not the organizer of this and they know, but want a competitors advice on the location of the event. The campground in question is the 4H grounds, which is used by the carneys. We will see might be in the same spot.

stan
03-14-2009, 10:28 AM
If you are looking for an early spring contest check out www.smokinonbigcreekbbq.com.

We are just outside KC. Sorry the contest was cancelled that sucks!