PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment 13th Annual Ohio Smoked Meat & BBQ Festival 10/16 & 17, 2009

beardjp
03-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Yes Nelsonville is in the play for 2009. I know that is almost unheard of that Nelsonville posts information this early, but remember we are under new management.

We are still pulling our forms and applications together, and waiting for our final KCBS Sanctioning but we wanted to get some basic information out to The BBQ Brethren.

The 2009 competition will be held on October 16 and 17 in beautiful downtown Nelsonville. Information is available at the competition website: http://www.nelsonvillefd.org/ohiobbq.htm (http://www.nelsonvillefd.org/ohiobbq.htm)

Everyone’s participation last was greatly appreciated and we hope to continue the rebuilding this year. If you are planning on coming to Nelsonville and we will mark you down and get you the paperwork as soon as it is available.

Looking forward to another great year in 2009.

U2CANQUE
03-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks for sharing the information, I was getting worried when I didnt see anything on KCBS site. Looking forward to heading down again, and seeing if this time we can get Roger to bring his stick burner....grins.....and walk halfway straight....
See ya in October....

beardjp
03-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Great to hear from you Rob. I think this years cook's meeting will be in the Mine Tavern so Roger should be around.

The Pigman
03-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Now Now now is there a tavern in town... I resemble that remark. What had happen was a elderly gentleman ask if I could hold his seat for him and I did. I will say one thing that sure was a long drive home that night.
Rob I am hoping to be able to make it. And yes STICK BURNERS RULE

As you can tell Dan is also a stick burner along with Rob

U2CANQUE
03-12-2009, 06:08 AM
Roger, Mike said you better be heading to the contest this year, he has to have someone help him with all of the auction stuff.....
Will look forward to more information as it becomes available....

The Pigman
03-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Rob if I have to walk halfway straight you will have to move that fountain its in my way. Also I call dibs on the spot in frt of the beauty parlor.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-12-2009, 10:50 AM
How is this comp? I would love to make the trip.

beardjp
03-12-2009, 11:06 AM
I love the competition, but I am partial to this one since I live in Nelsonville. We had some organizer and sponsor problems over the past few years, but the chamber of commerce stepped up in 2008 and saved the competition.

The competition was moved to the downtown area in 2008 and it worked well. The teams had room and utilities were available. It is a great competition to close out your year with.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Hows the weather that time of year? Is this a state championship?

U2CANQUE
03-12-2009, 11:25 AM
is a state championship, well, has been in the past, weather has a little chill in the air....the community came out and supported, and it was a very friendly contest.....I had even set up a barter system with the pizza place, got some pizza in exchange for BBQ, and got to use their sinks inside to wash up supplies.....heck, close out season?....laughing, I still had Shelby, NC after I left Nelsonville.....
Roger, ouch, grabbed the bestest spot that there was....well, unless you are set up right in front of the bar.....but, was great eye candy there....

The Pigman
03-12-2009, 07:33 PM
The area around it is the Hocking Hills area ...Hocking valley. The most beautiful spot in Ohio. Go to www.hockinghills.com (http://www.hockinghills.com) to see all there is out there. Nelsonville is like 20 min. away. The fall the leaves are changing good time to be a STICKBURNER and have your own bar stool.

JayAre
04-28-2009, 06:51 PM
is a state championship, well, has been in the past, weather has a little chill in the air....the community came out and supported, and it was a very friendly contest.....I had even set up a barter system with the pizza place, got some pizza in exchange for BBQ, and got to use their sinks inside to wash up supplies.....heck, close out season?....laughing, I still had Shelby, NC after I left Nelsonville.....
Roger, ouch, grabbed the bestest spot that there was....well, unless you are set up right in front of the bar.....but, was great eye candy there....

I was set up a comfortable distance away from the bar and still managed to get hammered and let my smoker get to Chernobyl temps (over 400 by the time Jim and I got back to the site)...needless to say, THE BAR IS EVIL!!! (Cant wait to get back)

It is a good comp, we had alot of fun there and the teams were all great

JayAre

U2CANQUE
04-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah, we (me and my buddy that was with me) were just talking about how Roger could walk both straight and crooked in the same motion, and almost make it look like it was planned.....
Will be back again this year....

QN
04-28-2009, 08:06 PM
I need to see if I can get this one on my schedule. I need an Ohio comp on my list.

U2CANQUE
04-28-2009, 08:16 PM
you are more than welcome....and you know of at least one site that you can hang at....but, not to diss this one, but, a great setting contest in OH is Kettering...nice, park like, great teams....and even if old...yeah, OLD Jim is a grump, he manages many smiles that weekend....

The Pigman
04-29-2009, 07:03 PM
it did take awhile to get across the street.....but thats because JayAre and Jim were sneaking something in my pepsi all day and night.

Yeah, we (me and my buddy that was with me) were just talking about how Roger could walk both straight and crooked in the same motion, and almost make it look like it was planned.....
Will be back again this year....

U2CANQUE
04-29-2009, 07:39 PM
sneaking something in my pepsi all day and night.

Rohypnol maybe?

Rolling Smoke
04-30-2009, 10:57 AM
I need to see if I can get this one on my schedule. I need an Ohio comp on my list.

I don't know why you would want to come to Ohio Mark. You see all the verbal abuse I am taking don't you?

beardjp
06-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Rocky Brands has step up for 2009 and put up $10,000 in prize money for the Ohio Smoked Meat & BBQ Festival. The break down is as follows;

Chieck, Ribs, Pork, Brisket
1st $500
2nd $300
3rd $200
4th $150
5th $100

Overall
Grand Champion $3000
Reserve Grand Champion $1500
Top Ohio Team $500

For more information follow the link at www.nelsonvillechamber.com (http://www.nelsonvillechamber.com)

Come on down to Nelsonville October 16th & 17th 2009

sfisch
06-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Hmmm, wonder if any of the Mifo's would be interest in this one?
We have a cook for the BBQ for our Troops on October 11 in Jackson, Mi.

Scott

JayAre
06-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Rocky Brands has step up for 2009 and put up $10,000 in prize money for the Ohio Smoked Meat & BBQ Festival. The break down is as follows;

Chieck, Ribs, Pork, Brisket
1st $500
2nd $300
3rd $200
4th $150
5th $100

Overall
Grand Champion $3000
Reserve Grand Champion $1500
Top Ohio Team $500

For more information follow the link at www.nelsonvillechamber.com (http://www.nelsonvillechamber.com)

Come on down to Nelsonville October 16th & 17th 2009

Rocky's Must have sold alot of boots this year!, thats cool, we plan to be there (as long as roger dont get us drunk again at the local tavern!)

beardjp
06-25-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't think we will b e able to keep Roger out of the tavern. I believe that "The Mine Tavern" is the official BBQ Team meeting place for 2009. Rocky is really commited to making the competition work.

The Pigman
06-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Just found out a friend of mine who lives in Hocking has a girlfriend thats works at the bar there so I already have a bar stool reserved. 9:22 shots at bar???? Jim said he would buy.

Rocky's Must have sold alot of boots this year!, thats cool, we plan to be there (as long as roger dont get us drunk again at the local tavern!)

beardjp
06-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Pigman, are you going to compete this year or be in charge of photography and public relations again?

sfisch
06-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Roger,
how much more longer drive time from Dayton to this one?

Scott

The Pigman
06-27-2009, 04:33 AM
Scott I would think 1 1/2 hrs its the most beautiful place in Ohio. Like being in the Blue Ridge mountians. www.hockinghills.com (http://www.hockinghills.com)

Dont know if I am competeing this year???

JayAre
06-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Scott I would think 1 1/2 hrs its the most beautiful place in Ohio. Like being in the Blue Ridge mountians. www.hockinghills.com (http://www.hockinghills.com)

Dont know if I am competeing this year???

its longer than an hour and half, I don't exactly remember how long it took us last year, but seems like it was around two or two and half hours.

:icon_cool

The Pigman
06-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Hocking is 2 /2 for me and Nelsonville is 3 for me so I was taking off the 1 fomr me to dayton. Besides i was having a drink while the food cooked....But then I dont drink???????

beardjp
09-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Nelsonville has 11 teams as 9/1/09 so there is plenty of room for more people. There were some problems with a $25 late entry fee but that has been done away with. We still have plenty of space and lots of things to keep you and your team and family busy!!!

Lippy
09-04-2009, 02:39 AM
Hey Rob, with your winnings from Nevada, why don't you pay for us to be in this comp.

Sarge
09-06-2009, 05:18 PM
9:22 shots at bar???? Jim said he would buy.

Pigman,

Count me in, I'll be there. I'll take Bear's too since he don't drink.

We will make sure we put you by the beauty salon, last year they were complaining about some "dirty old man" who kept staring and asking them to raise their hands if they liked BBQ. I figure they will be safe with you there, right?:lol:

See you in a few weeks.

Sarge

U2CANQUE
09-07-2009, 04:10 PM
lol @ the "winnings from Nevada"....I covered my parsley expense.....but, some of the pictures are priceless....a great one.....but, I double dogg dare the perry brothers to come on out for this one.....

juicybuttsbbq
09-07-2009, 08:30 PM
lol @ the "winnings from Nevada"....I covered my parsley expense.....but, some of the pictures are priceless....a great one.....but, I double dogg dare the perry brothers to come on out for this one.....

oH mAN DP :eek::eek::eek: hE jUST dOUBLE dOGGED dAReD yA!!!!

Sarge
09-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Website has 15 teams listed as of the last update on Sept. 6th. We are still hoping for a lot more teams to come fill up the Public Square with lots of great smoke.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks. And for those who were there last year, Bear and I will have the camp fire going again, so feel free to stop by and get warm.

Sarge

U2CANQUE
09-13-2009, 07:24 AM
Entry form sent out....come on folks.....a prize amount like this does not happen in Ohio.....and they have worked their tails off to get it back on the map.......glad to see some teams that have not been in the past few years.......looking forward to it....I would say that it looks like it will end up being a qualifier at the least....

Dale P
09-13-2009, 07:55 AM
I would love to cook at it. I am impressed with the prize money too because frankly I dont buy that bullchit "its not about the money". In fact for next year we have already decided that we are going to consider the payouts more before we enter any comp. So my hat is off to Nelsonville. Our problem is time.

beardjp
09-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Nelsonville is at 18 teams now. 7 more and Nelsonville is a qualifier .:-P

HickoryFlats
09-14-2009, 06:13 AM
Sent my entry in Thursday along with the late fee I didn't know was waived. Maybe I can get a credit at the bar. Look forward to seeing everyone and I want to reserve a space under the palm trees in balmy Nelsonville.

Paul

dhuffjr
09-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Paul we'll see you there.......and I'll be listening in on you and Dave :biggrin:

beardjp
09-14-2009, 04:52 PM
The teams keep signing up for Nelsonville. Just finished a planning meeting and we should have a good line-up of stuff to do along with the competition. What we need now is more judges, preferable certified. If you know a good judge or a judge just send them to our website, www.ohiobbq.com (http://www.ohiobbq.com/) go to the judges section. Looking forward to seeing everyone in October.

U2CANQUE
09-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Maybe I can get a credit at the bar. I am more than sure that Roger will help you spend that down.....me, I will slip the bartender an extra bit to make all yours doubles.....:twisted: