PDA

View Full Version : Please critique Brisket turn in box.

Diva Q
03-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Was doing a practice last night and would like your comments and opinions.

Thank you.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/Diva_Q/th_BrisketPractice3.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/Diva_Q/?action=view&current=BrisketPractice3.jpg)

Bigmista
03-07-2009, 08:06 AM
I think you should not turn in brisket at any contest where I am competing. I don't need the aggravation. :lol:

Where do you find a cow with that many perfect slices of beef?

carlharper
03-07-2009, 08:10 AM
That would score a nine from this judge.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Outstanding KCBS box. If that doesn't get 9s straight across there is something wrong with the system.

Diva Q
03-07-2009, 08:20 AM
I was a bit cheesed earlier this year when an almost identical turn in box got me 2 7's and a 6

Figured I was maybe doing something wrong. Or not doing what is expected.

You know anything can happen though.

Mark S
03-07-2009, 08:22 AM
9 all day, nicely done!

Podge
03-07-2009, 08:34 AM
not a damn thing wrong with it, looks perfect to me, i'd be proud to turn that in.. 9

Jorge
03-07-2009, 08:36 AM
I'd try something different for the Little Rock judges:wink::-P

Sticks-n-chicks
03-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Looks great, 9

RW Willy
03-07-2009, 08:39 AM
I have no idea what to look for in judging.
BUT, that is sweet looking!

Just Pulin' Pork
03-07-2009, 08:47 AM
9's across the board. Great looking brisket there.

Pig Headed
03-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Don't change a thing. If it tastes half as good as it looks, you got a winner there.

Meat Burner
03-07-2009, 10:15 AM
That's a 9er!!!!!!!

Dale P
03-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Looks like a perfect score to me. 9

EatonHoggBBQ
03-07-2009, 10:24 AM
I'd definitely give that a nine.

Midnight Smoke
03-07-2009, 10:29 AM
From a layman's perspective. That looks as close to perfect as it comes!

Smokin Mike
03-07-2009, 12:51 PM
that is nice, if I judged it probally a 9 here too.

is burnt ends a common thing to turn in in canada?

Jacked UP BBQ
03-07-2009, 01:05 PM
9 all the way, nice job.

WineMaster
03-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Wow, Thats nice.

Which cooker did you cook that on? And where did ya get that meat.

backyardchef
03-07-2009, 02:44 PM
That's a beautiful box. Really nice job http://www.vpsingles.com/pics/thumbsup.gif

Chipper
03-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Solid 9. The best pic I've seen.

watertowerbbq
03-07-2009, 03:26 PM

Thank you.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/Diva_Q/th_BrisketPractice3.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/Diva_Q/?action=view&current=BrisketPractice3.jpg)

Would you like to be on my team? :icon_blush:

I only wish I could produce a box that looked that good.

Diva Q
03-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Thank you for the replies.

The meat is from my butcher Hovey's Gourmet Meats. It was a 14 lb CAB brisket with 30 days on it. I did the best I could to trim it.

Yes Canadians like burnt ends. I would only turn them in if they were good otherwise I would leave them out. I am pretty sure a lot of the teams up here do that as well. We also like ribs and hockey and beer that has more alcohol in it. :-)

This was cooked on my favorite piece of equipment my Traeger 070 Lil Tex I call her my black beauty. She is a great cooker and I would drag her anywhere if I could to cook on it.

And thank you for the offer to cook on your team but I will stick with my own team LOL.

I was expecting a lot more criticisms.

For the record it looked ok but it tasted like crap. Very moist however the texture was mealy. It is still a work in progress.

Thank you again.

HBMTN
03-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Great job!

Chipper
03-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Mealy? I've never heard that before? Mushy sure, but mealy?

beerguy
03-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Diva, thanks for telling me that was cooked on your Treager. I think it scores nine also on appearance. I pick up my new Treagor next weekend and will also practice every chance I get.
I think the burnt ends add to the perfect box.

Just Smokin' Around
03-07-2009, 07:06 PM
I would have scored it a 9 - we are suppose to judge the meat, not the garnish and the meat looks great. However, if you want some feedback, I can offer a small suggestion. May be the picture, but I would put some parsley across the back as well. Also, the left and right sides are not balanced with the garnish, right side needs a little more. Other than that, I can't see anything wrong with the box. Slices are nice color, look moist and are evenly spaced. Burnt ends are well placed and look very good. Not sure what else to say but Excellent job.

bbqD
03-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Will you teach us how to do a parsely box like that :lol:, lol, pretty hard to beat Diva, looks perfect to me, one question :so do you sauce at all? Come on give up the secrets!lol

See you on the south side of the border!

WannaBeBBQueen
03-07-2009, 07:51 PM
great job! 9:biggrin:

Diva Q
03-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Will you teach us how to do a parsely box like that :lol:, lol, pretty hard to beat Diva, looks perfect to me, one question :so do you sauce at all? Come on give up the secrets!lol

See you on the south side of the border!

Lol, not giving up any of those secrets to you guys. You are an amazing team.

Wait ...Vlad says we will trade you parsley box secrets for your amazing chicken recipe?????

Rhapsody
03-07-2009, 10:09 PM
I think it looks really good. I would probably give it a 9 in a competition. I love the looks of the burnt ends, so I assume thats what the outside of the slices look like. In person, I would obviously be able to see that better. I don't know about other judges, but I don't look at garnish AT ALL. If the meat looks good, it looks good. That being said, both the meat and garnish look very good. How long did that take?

CTSmokehouse
03-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I think you should not turn in brisket at any contest where I am competing. I don't need the aggravation. :lol:

Where do you find a cow with that many perfect slices of beef?

Probably a Steer from Canada....

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

CTSmokehouse
03-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Thank you for the replies.

For the record it looked ok but it tasted like crap.

Thank you again.

FYI.. The slang word crap comes from T. Crapper, the man who invented the modern toilet.

Nuf said...

Haven't tasted crap... but your brisket sure looked good...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

rbinms33
03-08-2009, 01:45 AM
I was a bit cheesed earlier this year when an almost identical turn in box got me 2 7's and a 6

Figured I was maybe doing something wrong. Or not doing what is expected.

You know anything can happen though.

You'd get a 9 from this judge. As far as those 7's and 6's, it's possible that your turn-in box may have been shaken a bit before it got to the judges. Either that or they may have been new judges.

Now if you told me I HAD to find something wrong with this presentation, the burnt ends are turned different ways. Not enough for me to give it less than a 9 though.

Good job!!

U2CANQUE
03-08-2009, 06:29 AM
the only problem I see with that box is that I didnt do it....great job gal, now I will stop poking fun at the practice runs on facebook....as far as getting lower scores on a turn in, you just cant sweat the small stuff.....if that was turned in at 10 contests it would end up averaging higher....taste at one contest, all 9's with one 8, and a 3....just laugh at it....and keep the smoke rollin....

Porky
03-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Nicely spaced, garnish is uniform, meat is clean of meat particles and moist looking, great looking box--9.

Diva Q
03-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Probably a Steer from Canada....

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Actually it as an American CAB.

tonto1117
03-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Beautifull box Danielle! 9....8-)

SmokeInDaEye
03-08-2009, 10:46 AM
That's like Neil Armstrong posting a picture of himself asking "What ya'll think of my moonwalk?"

Darryld
03-08-2009, 10:53 AM
It's 9's across the board

thillin
03-08-2009, 01:50 PM
looks really good to me!

Mike - CSBBBQ
03-08-2009, 03:47 PM
If it tasted like it looks, I'm thinking 180:icon_smil

SaucyWench
03-08-2009, 04:00 PM
I get myself in trouble here by answering these kinds of questions, but here I go....

It may just be from looking at a single picture on a computer, but something about it doesn't say 9 to me. More crust on top maybe? Something about the connective tissues? The shininess looks nice, but an experienced judge knows that shiny can/is added at the end and may not help taste. The smoke ring looks lovely, but we are instructed every time not to pay attention to smoke rings. Without seeing it in person, I can't define what it is that is making me say I'd go 7 or 8 instead of 9. It isn't the garnish, as Rhapsody says, I really don't look at that. The layout is fine.

6 definitely seems low here, but it would be way helpful to judges if KCBS would define average-is it average restaurant? Is it average backyard? Okay, so it's average competition Q, what the @#% is that?

The Virginian
03-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Put the meat all the way up to the front of the box. The greenery in the very front is a distraction. Other than that, looks sweet.

Brett

Bentley
03-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Outstanding KCBS box. If that doesn't get 9s straight across there is something wrong with the system.

What He said!

Jeff_in_KC
03-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Little hard to see if there are any imperfections with that tiny of a photo but from what I can see, that's what I look for when I'm giving a 9 in appearance! Good job. Oh and keep that junk out of KC and north of the border. I don't wanna compete against anyone doin that!

BBQchef33
03-08-2009, 10:08 PM

Thank you.

PRACTICE?? VERY FUNNY. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Looks like you dont need any practice.

9 for appearance...

1 for texture though.. because when I bit the monitor, i bumped my nose and got a splinter in my lip.

CivilWarBBQ
03-09-2009, 12:14 AM
9. Boxes don't get any better than that.

roastntoast
03-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Nice BOX Danielle.

Jules

Big George's BBQ
03-09-2009, 02:40 PM
That looks great. Definately a 9. Will be glad to taste it to rate that too :-D

YankeeBBQ
03-09-2009, 02:47 PM
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:8 maybe. 7 ? What ? Oh I know what's bothering you there's not enough burnt ends to take home in your to go box. Your a very experienced judge aren't you ?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::big grin::biggrin:

I get myself in trouble here by answering these kinds of questions, but here I go....

It may just be from looking at a single picture on a computer, but something about it doesn't say 9 to me. More crust on top maybe? Something about the connective tissues? The shininess looks nice, but an experienced judge knows that shiny can/is added at the end and may not help taste. The smoke ring looks lovely, but we are instructed every time not to pay attention to smoke rings. Without seeing it in person, I can't define what it is that is making me say I'd go 7 or 8 instead of 9. It isn't the garnish, as Rhapsody says, I really don't look at that. The layout is fine.

6 definitely seems low here, but it would be way helpful to judges if KCBS would define average-is it average restaurant? Is it average backyard? Okay, so it's average competition Q, what the @#% is that?

The Anchorman
03-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Little hard to see if there are any imperfections with that tiny of a photo but from what I can see, that's what I look for when I'm giving a 9 in appearance! Good job. Oh and keep that junk out of KC and north of the border. I don't wanna compete against anyone doin that!

If you click on the pic it will open up to a full size pic.

I think that it would do well at any contest 9 or 8 depending on the day.
WTG!

U2CANQUE
03-09-2009, 03:36 PM
1 for texture though.. because when I bit the monitor, i bumped my nose and got a splinter in my lip.

Nice....the bad part is that I had the mental image of you doing that....

Diva Q
03-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Made us laugh here. LOL

River City Smokehouse
03-09-2009, 07:21 PM
I think it is a good looking box.....but in my past turn-ins I have always scored low on boxes without sauce on the meat. Maybe it's just me but my brisket scores have consistantly been higher with sauce. You might try it.....who knows.

SaucyWench
03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:8 maybe. 7 ? What ? Oh I know what's bothering you there's not enough burnt ends to take home in your to go box. Your a very experienced judge aren't you ?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::big grin::biggrin:

I haven't taken anything home in years, guess what, getting leftover food really isn't why I have been judging for 8 years.

I come here to the competition page and see people asking about their boxes, and most of the other competitors says it's perfect, don't change a thing! But if the point of asking is to be told they are all perfect, why ask? Why not just say, here's my perfect box, and all judges who wouldn't give a 9 are idiots? I assumed (stupid me, we all know what that means) Diva Q seriously wanted some input.

As I said in my first post, I knew I was going to get smacked for answering, but I was trying to be thoughtful, as I always do when I judge. Reading what I do here, I'm about ready to quit.

Diva Q
03-10-2009, 01:25 AM
I haven't taken anything home in years, guess what, getting leftover food really isn't why I have been judging for 8 years.

I come here to the competition page and see people asking about their boxes, and most of the other competitors says it's perfect, don't change a thing! But if the point of asking is to be told they are all perfect, why ask? Why not just say, here's my perfect box, and all judges who wouldn't give a 9 are idiots? I assumed (stupid me, we all know what that means) Diva Q seriously wanted some input.

As I said in my first post, I knew I was going to get smacked for answering, but I was trying to be thoughtful, as I always do when I judge. Reading what I do here, I'm about ready to quit.

Alrighty time for me to chime in here.

First Saucy I asked for opinions. I didn't asked to be coddled or critiqued lightly. You are correct in assuming I wanted some serious input. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. This thread has now had over 1000 hits and that surprised me. I never got any maliciousness from that post due to the many happy faces. I think its foolish to take the stand you would be ready to quit based on that.

I posted this box on the brethren forum for a few reasons. The people who post here are some of the best competitors and the harshest critics on any BBQ forum I visit (I do mean this as a compliment)

Additionally as I am doing more US comps this year than Canadian comps
input from mostly US teams is really valuable to me.

What I was surprised about was some really harsh emails I got seriously asking why I would bother posting such a "perfect box" Thats a load of crap. IF I thought that box was perfect I would not have posted it. I think it needs work still. I have appreciated each and every one of the posts good bad or indifferent.

To me brisket is brisket you can't do a heck of a lot with presentation not like the other threee categories.

YankeeBBQ
03-10-2009, 06:56 AM

:shock::shock: Thoughtful ? Really ? You said " I can't define what it is that is making me say I'd go 7 or 8 instead of 9." How thoughtful is that ? How helpful is it ? pffft :eek::eek:

Big George's BBQ
03-10-2009, 08:29 AM
I was not trying to be funny. I said 9 because it looked like one of the nicest boxs I have ever seen. I wished mine looked that good

JKH
03-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Looks pale and boiled to me.i give it a 6.
After more thoughts,i can see that the slices are cut to perfection,can't get any improvements there,
still looks like spam though,pale,pale,pale.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-10-2009, 12:14 PM
I cannot belive people are giving you **** about a good thread. You asked for advice based on what you thought might need some and you are getting it. Anyone who emailed you giving you crap about posting a good box must have been competing for 10 years and they cannot understand why they never got a trophy. Maybe you are making the know it alls mad!!!! Nice box, nice thread, and to all the cry babies waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh. :x:x:x

backyardchef
03-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Aye, people...let's keep on track. :roll:

Are there things I would do differently, or would like to see different in the box, I guess so...But, do I think it-- done the way that it is-- is a great looking box? Yes, I do.

Could the smoke ring be more pronounced? Yes. Could the bark be thicker/darker? Yes. Etc....Could my monitor taste better? Yes.

Who would waste their time sending sh*tty mail about this? It didn't seem posted in a complaining-as-bragging way, or with any other agenda than to get feedback on a box she was proud of, or that she was curious if it was as good as maybe she thought.

C'mon people, its BBQ. Don't get your apron in a knot.....Move on and read a thread about something else....like THIS (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12537&highlight=Fark+Thread) appropriate for some people who are getting ready for the 'season'.

kcquer (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=1382)
Lives in Spirit

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/image.php?u=1382&dateline=1143748238 (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=1382)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/misc/im_aim.gif (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818#) http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/misc/im_yahoo.gif (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818#)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif
Cleaning Your Smoker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7131

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12116 (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12116)

Post subject: When and How to Clean Smoker PostPosted: Nov 11, 2003 - 05:24 PM

Wide variety of opinions on this topic, you'll find something that works for you.

Thanks, KC....:wink:

Stoke&Smoke
03-10-2009, 01:18 PM
That box is what I see in my head when I'm putting my turn in's together:icon_sad

I haven't achieved that level of perfection though. 9 for presentation!!!

YankeeBBQ
03-10-2009, 01:26 PM
That box is what I see in my head when I'm putting my turn in's together:icon_sad

I haven't achieved that level of perfection though. 9 for presentation!!!

There is no score for presentation, it's appearance. There is a difference.

Stoke&Smoke
03-10-2009, 01:43 PM

I stand corrected :oops:

It APPEARS good enough to eat right off my screen!

A 9 on Appearance with or without the rabbit food

tony76248
03-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Looked great to me. Nice nice in relation to the box too.

Jeff_in_KC
03-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Are you KIDDING ME on the brisket being too pale and smoke ring not pronounced enough???? Since I found you can click on the photo to get a larger one, I see only ONE minor thing wrong with that box... a dark speck on the right side of the front slice on the smoke ring. Other than that, I see zero wrong with this box. Still a very solid 9.

And if you're criticizing DivaQ for posting a 9 box, maybe you should thank her... if you can't do what she did, maybe you should spend a little more time practicing and a lot less time bitching. Besides, had she posted that she made a great box that she thought was a 9, she'd be crucified for arrogance. People with too much time on their hands turned this into a no-win situation for DivaQ! Sad...

Bentley
03-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I can't define what it is that is making me say I'd go 7 or 8 instead of 9."

I think we need to get judges who cant, to start thinking why and try and be able to!

paydabill
03-10-2009, 02:33 PM
That is a 9!

I would be shocked if it is anything less. For those who have said less, please post your box and let us see what you consider a 9 to be.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-10-2009, 02:37 PM
That is a 9!

I would be shocked if it is anything less. For those who have said less, please post your box and let us see what you consider a 9 to be.

I like your style, put up or shut up!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

The Pickled Pig
03-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Classy looking brisket box! Great knife work and excellent job presenting those slices.

From an appearance standpoint, the burnt ends don't really add anything and probably detract from the overall picture (unless you're hiding something on the bottom of the front slice). I think the box might look better if those burnt ends were placed behind the perfect and beautiful flat slices. It might be a regional thing or a me thing, but burnt ends look better sauced and re-cooked after slicing.

And like others have said, keep that crap out of the KC area...I don't want to go up against it.

Diva Q
03-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Classy looking brisket box! Great knife work and excellent job presenting those slices.

From an appearance standpoint, the burnt ends don't really add anything and probably detract from the overall picture (unless you're hiding something on the bottom of the front slice). I think the box might look better if those burnt ends were placed behind the perfect and beautiful flat slices. It might be a regional thing or a me thing, but burnt ends look better sauced and re-cooked after slicing.

And like others have said, keep that crap out of the KC area...I don't want to go up against it.

You would be correct that I was hiding something. I was hiding some noticeable injection marks. At least I thought they were noticeable.

U2CANQUE
03-10-2009, 04:42 PM
I tell ya what, just freeze that box, microwave it at Smoke on the Water this weekend and see how the judges feel....:twisted:

Good example of truely practicing what you want to do for a contest....I felt a twinge of my guilt, because, most of the time when I "practice" I cook it, may put together a half-arsed box, and look at it....but, your effort in your practice showed....and you will be rewarded this year for practices like that....

Phew, just glad that you wont be in Rochester....LOL......

Good luck this weekend, and get rid of that darn speck....

shadetreebbq
03-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Looks like it should be all nines or buy the judges some new glasses! looks good

Jeff_in_KC
03-10-2009, 05:21 PM
I think we need to get judges who cant, to start thinking why and try and be able to!

This is probably one of the absolute most dead-on, "nailed it" posts I've seen in a long time!

Finney
03-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I'd move the burnt ends to the back and add more sauce to them... but that's just me.

RangerJ
03-10-2009, 06:35 PM
1st year competitor here so my comments don't carry alot of weight. But if thats what the judges are looking for "meat wise", then I'll never walk in Brisket.

Looks more like corned beef or pastrami and nothing I've ever been served in Texas.

Bentley
03-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Looks more like corned beef or pastrami and nothing I've ever been served in Texas.

Well since both of those come from the brisket, I could maybe see why you would think that...But here is my pastrami.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/Cured%20meats/IMG_1735.jpg

Would be curious what corned beef and pastrami look like in you neck of the woods?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-10-2009, 07:21 PM
1st year competitor here so my comments don't carry alot of weight. But if thats what the judges are looking for "meat wise", then I'll never walk in Brisket.

This brisket from Kreuz's in Lockhart looks pretty much like that in her box with a bit more smoke ring, which isn't supposed to count anyway. It was also the best brisket I have tasted to date.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/HeSmellsLikeSmoke/KreuzBrisketandRib.jpg

smoke showin'
03-10-2009, 08:05 PM
that is an awsome box Ey!!

backyardchef
03-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Are you KIDDING ME on the brisket being too pale and smoke ring not pronounced enough????

Nope, not kidding. :rolleyes:

That's my personal preference-- and IF I was nitpicking. That was the point of the this thread, and my post. If one had to find something to criticize, those were my peeves du pet. I never said the box was less than perfect.

Tomato, to-mah-to. Some like less smoke flavor, some like more. I prefer a little more depth of color....big whoop. The smoke ring isn't judged, anyway....right? :cool:

http://atomsribs.com/brisketslices.jpg

Meat Burner
03-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Color may be just the camera.

Kristin Meredith
03-11-2009, 12:32 AM

This is a critical distinction and not enough judges know it and/or remember it. Good reminder for me!!

To me, this was an excellent box, all 9's. I will use it as my standard at future competitions.

Bentley
03-11-2009, 12:36 AM
You said " I can't define what it is that is making me say I'd go 7 or 8 instead of 9."

At the risk of hijacking this thread even more...How do we get this accross to the judges? To beat that horse one more time, KCBS are you listening?

I am a CBJ with about 10 contest under my belt and I have been guilty of it. We need to teach each other, I guess no one else is,that is one reason I very much like this forum!

willkat98
03-11-2009, 07:42 AM

Where do you by these tiny briskets?

Petsmart?

And I'd rate the original box a 10 on appearance

YankeeBBQ
03-11-2009, 07:58 AM

That looks over smoked to me. I have heartburn just looking at it. If I ate that I'd be burping smoke for a week

SaucyWench
03-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Since I keep getting quoted, please use the entire sentence.

Without seeing it in person, I can't define what it is that is making me say I'd go 7 or 8 instead of 9.

I don't think it's possible "to objectively and subjectively evaluate" from a picture on a computer screen.

To shadetreebbq, you're more than welcome to buy me some new glasses!

YankeeBBQ
03-11-2009, 08:13 AM
I don't think it's possible "to objectively and subjectively evaluate" from a picture on a computer screen.

Then why did you bother to respond ? :wink:

Tinybud
03-11-2009, 10:28 AM
I'd give that box a solid 9 on appearence. I don't totally agree with saucing the burnt ends, however I've had great tasting burnt ends both sauced and unsauced, Personnelly for me, I don't sauce them, just reseason then back on the smoker, but never taken aware from folks that do sauce them. Unless its a totally nasty sauce,,but haven't experienced that yet.

backyardchef
03-11-2009, 10:36 AM
That looks over smoked to me. I have heartburn just looking at it. If I ate that I'd be burping smoke for a week

While I didn't ask for feedback, you are a lightweight. :roll:

It didn't have that much smoke flavor....it was mostly cooked over charcoal with a few chunks of hickory. We cooked that at the Paul Kirk class. Proves that looks can be deceiving, I guess. That's why all we can judge when someone posts a box is appearance, right? :wink:

Divemaster
03-11-2009, 11:51 AM
First of all I would like permission to print a copy of your box. Like a want-a-be artists, I've always had the picture in my head but could never re-create it.

OK, Here it goes....

I while I would give it a 9 at a comp giving the fact that you only get to see it for what, 4 maybe 5 seconds and then it's on to the next box.

After looking at it for close to a minute here is what I find. Please keep in mind that this is all very, VERY nit-picky:

I would like the bark on all of the burnt ends to be the same. At first glance, I thought that there were only 5 of them because the one on the far right almost matches the slices behind.
I would like to see you even out the parsley between the two sides. The right side seems a bit thin.
Back to the burnt ends, I would turn the third burnt end from the left 90*. You have 5 going up and down and one going left and right.
I would like to see more contrast between the smoke ring and the center of the meat. I fear that when you brushed the slices the contrast got a little bit 'muted'.
Now would any of the above cause me to knock down a score of 9? Not from me, but you never know about the other 5 judges around the table.

I guess what I would have liked to have heard was what you had an issue with... I know it's hard some times to put your finger on it, but that's the only way that I (we) can learn. Criticism is fine as long as it's constructive.

Dave98
03-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Diva-Q, I just emailed a picture of your brisket to my team telling them this is our new target. Looks great. My trailer could start looking a Pizza Hut kitchen with pictures on the wall of what the pizza (brisket) SHOULD look like!:-D

RangerJ
03-11-2009, 05:55 PM
This brisket from Kreuz's in Lockhart looks pretty much like that in her box with a bit more smoke ring, which isn't supposed to count anyway. It was also the best brisket I have tasted to date.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/HeSmellsLikeSmoke/KreuzBrisketandRib.jpg

And that slice looks like hers how?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
03-11-2009, 06:02 PM
And that slice looks like hers how?

Well, let me clarify. It looks a lot like hers to me in texture and color. If it doesn't to you, that's OK with me.

As always, the type of lighting and how a piece of meat is photographed make comparisons like this difficult.

Bentley
03-11-2009, 07:55 PM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/KreuzBrisketandRib.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/BrisketPractice3.jpg

They seem very similar to me.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-11-2009, 08:03 PM
You know what? They both look like damn good briskets. Looks like texas is getting mad that canada can put together a great brisket. I think canada is actually known internationally for brisket:)!

The_Kapn
03-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Danielle.

Great looking box!

The work of a Master (or is it Mistress) :grin: there!

TIM