PDA

View Full Version : Chicken on Weber?

Dave98
03-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Hi All, I need some advice. I am using a Good-One smoker. I have been smoking chicken on the top shelf. This allows the chicken juice to drop on what ever is under it. So, I have decided that I need to change how I cook chicken. One of my friends mentioned a WSM (Webber Bullet). After pricing one, :eek: I wondered if it would be possible to cook competition chicken on a Webber kettle grill?

Any thoughts?

Alexa RnQ
03-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Which WSM did you price, the new 22.5" or the old 18.5"?
We currently run four of the 18.5" WSMs, we just don't see the need for the high-volume capacity of the new big-boy units for competition.

That being said, a Weber kettle is a terrifically versatile piece of equipment, and there's no reason it couldn't cook just about anything you want. Our old OTG has been hauled to comps on occasion!

rweller
03-04-2009, 12:42 PM
A lot of people around here use weber kettles for Comp. chicken. Works great.

Big George's BBQ
03-04-2009, 12:47 PM
I love my webber kettle for chicken both direct and indirect heat

paydabill
03-04-2009, 01:10 PM
I use my weber kettle for competition chicken - has done me alright - can not complain.

bigabyte
03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
It's definitiely possible.

Jeff_in_KC
03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
I have cooked chicken at comps offset on a Weber kettle for four years now and have five or six first place finishes to show for it. I suppose you could try it but what's the point? :cool:

Just beware... there are those who will tell you that you're just grilling the chicken but if you're offset and have a good amount of soaked wood chips on your coals, there'll be more smoke in that kettle than most any smoker is holding when you pull the lid off! :wink:

Smoke & Beers
03-04-2009, 01:29 PM
I haven't done any comp. cooking with my Weber grill, but I wouldn't hesitate one bit to do a Spatchcock chicken on it...

KC_Bobby
03-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Jeff, what soaked wood chips would be advised? While were at it, what rub and sauces?

Just Pulin' Pork
03-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Jeff, what soaked wood chips would be advised? While were at it, what rub and sauces?

What temp?

Jeff_in_KC
03-04-2009, 03:25 PM

I have few secrets - I mix in a pan of water three handfuls of cherry and one handful...... damn! I'm having one of those over 40 forgetful moments! What was I saying? I use Schick Shaving Cream for sauce. It's really similar to the Alabama White Sauce. :twisted:

Jeff_in_KC
03-04-2009, 03:26 PM
What temp?

I always take my chicken to 220 internal... I don't want any juices running down a judge's chin and burning him or making a big mess!

musicmanryann
03-04-2009, 03:30 PM
I have cooked chicken at comps offset on a Weber kettle for four years now and have five or six first place finishes to show for it. I suppose you could try it but what's the point? :cool:

Just beware... there are those who will tell you that you're just grilling the chicken but if you're offset and have a good amount of soaked wood chips on your coals, there'll be more smoke in that kettle than most any smoker is holding when you pull the lid off! :wink:

Agreed. We have used and will continue to use our Weber Kettle for comp chix. While we haven't had the success of Jeff, we still feel the kettle is a good choice.

Dr_KY
03-04-2009, 03:34 PM
We won in chicken with the Weber.

Meat Burner
03-04-2009, 04:46 PM
We won in chicken with the Weber.

Same here at a last comp last year.

chromesporty
03-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I bought a wsm for my comp chicken. Best $200 I ever spent. First time out we hit top ten and haven't looked back.

thenewguy
03-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Why not just cook your chicken on the bottom shelf?
I use a good one, and do it this way. I've been lucky enough to be in the top ten a good percentage of the comps we did last year.

CTSmokehouse
03-04-2009, 11:13 PM
I always take my chicken to 220 internal... I don't want any juices running down a judge's chin and burning him or making a big mess!

Now that is mean..!

VA BBQ PIRATES
03-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Count me in the kettle crowd too!

Tom

Dave98
03-05-2009, 06:36 AM
Thanks for all of the responses. I think I will get our team a new Weber Kettle. :biggrin:

New Guy, the bottom shelves are where the ribs and brisket are generally. I agree, the Good-One is great for chicken. I do think having something else to cook on will simplfy the process a little. PS. I moved to Overland Pork (Park) from Ankeny. I grew up in Des Moines. What a great town.

ThomEmery
03-05-2009, 07:58 AM
We have been using the Ranch in some practice runs
I love the grilling effect on Chicken

Divemaster
03-05-2009, 10:40 AM
While I only use our Kettle for browning I still use one... Does that count?

Hi All, I need some advice. I am using a Good-One smoker. I have been smoking chicken on the top shelf. This allows the chicken juice to drop on what ever is under it. So, I have decided that I need to change how I cook chicken. One of my friends mentioned a WSM (Webber Bullet). After pricing one, :eek: I wondered if it would be possible to cook competition chicken on a Webber kettle grill?

Any thoughts?
Thanks for all of the responses. I think I will get our team a new Weber Kettle. :biggrin:

New Guy, the bottom shelves are where the ribs and brisket are generally. I agree, the Good-One is great for chicken. I do think having something else to cook on will simplfy the process a little. PS. I moved to Overland Pork (Park) from Ankeny. I grew up in Des Moines. What a great town.

I really don't like putting anything under the chicken since chicken is the last thing I put on, I would really worry about cross-contamination with the chicken juices dripping on the brisket and ribs...

Jacked UP BBQ
03-05-2009, 10:58 AM
I really don't like putting anything under the chicken since chicken is the last thing I put on, I would really worry about cross-contamination with the chicken juices dripping on the brisket and ribs...[/quote]

I'm impressed another BBQ'er with cares of sanitation!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_cla p:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap