PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Winter Thawout/Practice CookOff 4/24-25

tonto1117
03-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Hi Folks,
We had a great time with this last year...alot of fun, and if you have never competed before... a great way to get your feet wet in competition BBQ.

The app can also be found and printed out at www glbbqa.com Hope to see some of you there!!

Great Lakes BBQ Association
Is Proud to Announce the:
2009 Winter Thaw Out
&
Practice Cook Off

April 24 & 25 – Eagle Park
Eagle Park Fairgrounds
14331 S Grange Rd, Eagle, MI 48822

Shake off the Winter blues, tune up the pit and join us for a fun Practice Cook. Arrive Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. Turn in all 4 meats or compete with meats you can cook on Saturday. In any event, we will have judging on Saturday at the traditional turn in times and cash awards and prizes in all four categories. Not to mention “Bragging Rights”!! Judging will conform to KCBS style rules.
$$ Amounts will be based upon the number of people that enter:
Raffles will also be held for some great prizes!!!!
Eagle Park will open on Friday afternoon and has restrooms, water (please bring your own water container), trash receptacles, ash cans, and limited electricity. In addition, they have a full kitchen facility. The park is lighted.

Turn in: Noon – Chicken
12:30 PM – Ribs
1:00 PM – Pork
1:30 PM - Brisket

Entry fee: Saturday Only = $35.00*
Friday and Saturday = $50.00*
* one team spot per entry fee

_____ Please check if you would like to participate in the Friday night Pot Luck Dinner.
(Wow, what a wonderful feast we had last year!!)

Please print this form and send check or money order to:
Great Lakes BBQ Association,
7119 Danbrooke West Bloomfield, MI 48322.
Application:
Name_______________________________
Team name__________________________
Head Cook___________________________
Arrival Date:_________________________
Amount enclosed:_____________________

Waiver Of Liability: In consideration of your accepting this entry, I the undersigned intended to be legally bound, hereby for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights and claims for any damages I may have against Great Lakes BBQ Association or Eagle Park, their agents, successors and assigns for any and all injuries suffered by me and/or my team in this event.

Come on out for a great time!! See you in April!

___________________________________Signature of Chief cook or representative

Questions?? Email: Theresa Munroe at tmunroe@glbbqa.com (tmunroe@glbbqa.com) or Bruce McEnroe at bmcenroe@glbbqa.com (bmcenroe@glbbqa.com) Subject: GLBBQA April Cook Off.

U2CANQUE
03-04-2009, 09:14 AM
this may actually be a possibility.....doing the google map thing now........

Hope you guys are enjoying the new toy....

Bavarian Smoke
03-04-2009, 06:26 PM
You can count Bavarian Smoke in. Can't wait to see the new Geer Pit in action.

bbqbull
03-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Im in!

bbqbull
03-04-2009, 06:56 PM
this may actually be a possibility.....doing the google map thing now........

Hope you guys are enjoying the new toy....

Its exit #84 off I-96 near Lansing Mi.

Mapquest works well for me.

Cant wait to meet you folks who can attend.

EatonHoggBBQ
03-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Well I could tell my wife we're going to Biggby coffee in Portland and stop by on the way back. :wink: Hmmmmmm...

bbqbull
03-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Not far from the Eagle exit 76 I believe, first exit west of Eagle hook a right and its inside Toms Mkt.

Ford
03-05-2009, 04:52 AM
Can't afford a vacation day for practice so won't make it this year. But I will plan a weekend at home to practice just to get in shape before Westmount.

Hope it a little warmer and less windy.

Spydermike72
03-05-2009, 05:40 AM
Hey Ford, can you come out after work or just cook Saturday ?? If not would you be interested in Judging or help rep the event ??

U2CANQUE
03-05-2009, 05:57 AM
I just got approved, girl friend gave me the ok:biggrin:, will be sending in the application....looking forward to it....will be a little tired.....will be heading down to Kings Mountain, NC the weekend before for the contest down there......

Ford
03-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Hey Ford, can you come out after work or just cook Saturday ?? If not would you be interested in Judging or help rep the event ??

Nope. I may do my own practice on Saturday/Sunday that weekend. I need to practice but want to do a full contest timing not show up late and disrupt the routine. And if I don't practice then I will want to be at home with the family. Already away from them too much.

Judging???? 434 :icon_devil sounds like a good score to me. :biggrin:

tonto1117
03-08-2009, 08:21 AM

Great to hear Dick! Keeping my fingers crossed for some true spring-like weather....but it's April in Michigan...so.....pack shorts and Carharts.:biggrin::biggrin:

Well I could tell my wife we're going to Biggby coffee in Portland and stop by on the way back. :wink: Hmmmmmm...

Plenty of time to do some chicken and ribs!:tongue: Hope you can make it!

I just got approved, girl friend gave me the ok:biggrin:, will be sending in the application....looking forward to it....will be a little tired.....will be heading down to Kings Mountain, NC the weekend before for the contest down there......

Great news Rob!! It will be great to see you and Nicole again....god, I hope I remembered her name correctly....mad cow disease here ya know:wink:

U2CANQUE
03-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Laughing, you are far better at names than I am....correct you are....

Spydermike72
03-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Bump!!

sfisch
04-01-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll be over early Saturday morning to disrupt things!

Scott

Ford
04-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Does anybody know how many people are signed up to compete? I decided to take time off work simply because I need the practice, especially after seeing how Walt and Theresa are doing. Invited a few people from the office to show up as well. I plan to bring a strip loin for dinner Friday night.

Spydermike72
04-05-2009, 02:04 PM
I dont have hard numbers yet, but we have 5 paid entries and 5-7 teams saying money is in the mail.... Hopefully we will get 10-12 or more!!

Bud's BBQ
04-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Tonto and I are really looking forward to the Winter Thaw. Hope to see you all. We'll be there with the SmoSco and the Jambo. Although we will not be competing, we look forward to a full weekend of shiggin' :icon_devil

Bruce B and Scott, got your cutting boards and will bring to the Thaw.

It's finally and officially Spring, soooooooo Get Those Applications in.

walt

Ford
04-06-2009, 03:56 PM
It's finally and officially Spring, soooooooo Get Those Applications in.

walt
Not in Eagle it isn't. They had snow this morning. And 127 south from Lansing was just one big ditch party every 2-5 miles. A couple of real good ones.

Glad I didn't put the water system back in the trailer yet. But will this weekend as have a party to cook for next weekend.

So like I said how many signed up? I sent my check to Bruce already.

tonto1117
04-07-2009, 09:22 AM
So like I said how many signed up? I sent my check to Bruce already.

I'll check with Bruce at the end of the week and let you know.Planning on doing a big tray of smoked sausage, onions and peppers along with a couple Tri-Tips for the pot luck dinner.

bbqbull
04-07-2009, 04:41 PM
My printer is DOA.

Can I pay one of the board members with a check at Eagle Park?

tonto1117
04-13-2009, 07:07 AM
My printer is DOA.

Can I pay one of the board members with a check at Eagle Park?

As you already know....no problem Bull. Are you and Dottie in on the potluck??

FatBoyz
04-13-2009, 07:34 AM
I want to come but i know I make spider uncomfortable... after that reach around thing... but the barbie bus is going into the body shop... so we wont have a place to stay... but that is my bday? but there is the spider thing again i just dont know

tonto1117
04-13-2009, 10:11 AM
I want to come but i know I make spider uncomfortable... after that reach around thing... but the barbie bus is going into the body shop... so we wont have a place to stay... but that is my bday? but there is the spider thing again i just dont know

Come on over and compete for the weekend Billy.Only thing I can say is if your in the mood for porta potty pounding....there won't be any, just the fairgrounds cement wall bathrooms......so I'm gonna need you to sign the waiver of liability first thing...:twisted::mrgreen:

FatBoyz
04-13-2009, 02:54 PM
I can live with that... but will you have a cake and chef boyardy for my bday?

Double D's BBQ
04-13-2009, 03:09 PM
We'll be there as well (Friday afternoon). Just sent the application in yesterday.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

tonto1117
04-13-2009, 03:42 PM
I can live with that... but will you have a cake and chef boyardy for my bday?

Chef Boyardee...check
Cake.....check
Exploding Candles....check

:mrgreen:

We'll be there as well (Friday afternoon). Just sent the application in yesterday.

Great news Dallas!! Looking forward to it!!:-D

Ford
04-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Come on over big fella. I found an unopened 1/2 gallon of Jack in the trailer. Might keep you busy for awhile. I'll even store it in the freezer. And there's some real nice picnic tables under a roof you can put a sleeping bag on. All the comforts of home.

Bbq Bubba
04-13-2009, 04:40 PM

And i thought all the Ohio boys were afraid of the Michigan BBQ Mafia. :cool:

Double D's BBQ
04-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Not a bit, us Cleveland guys are quite we'll you know well connected!

You must be thinking of the guys south of Columbus!:-P

Bbq Bubba
04-13-2009, 07:29 PM

Ya, ya got me there....

Lookin forward to finally meeting you bro! :biggrin:

Bud's BBQ
04-13-2009, 07:31 PM
As Michiganers should know by now, Ohio Rocks......go buckeyes!!

South of Columbus......ain't that Kentucky?

bbqbull
04-13-2009, 07:44 PM
As you already know....no problem Bull. Are you and Dottie in on the potluck??

Tonto....what time is the potluck supper?

Things keep changing by the minute with my team members and im not happy.:mad:

Prolly change again in the next ten days.........grrrr/

bbqbull
04-13-2009, 07:46 PM
And i thought all the Ohio boys were afraid of the Michigan BBQ Mafia. :cool:

Most of em didnt attend the Ohio Bash....was it because of the Michigan Mafia folks?

Bbq Bubba
04-13-2009, 09:05 PM

I thought it was Hell....

Ford
04-13-2009, 10:00 PM

don't tell me you had Jamie paint it red. :eek::roll::mad: If so you better not show up at Eagle with it. I know some folks got lots of Spartan Green paint :twisted::twisted::twisted: Guess you'll be up all night now. Might as well pay your money and cook.

Double D's BBQ
04-14-2009, 05:48 AM
And I was thinking of bringing my Stumps next weekend!

http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/525/2008447650053757470S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2008447650053757470gHSZiI)

Double D's BBQ
04-14-2009, 05:50 AM
I guess this will have to do instead!:-D

http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/33504/2204923070053757470S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2204923070053757470ImdJxW)

Bud's BBQ
04-14-2009, 06:11 AM
don't tell me you had Jamie paint it red. :eek::roll::mad: If so you better not show up at Eagle with it. I know some folks got lots of Spartan Green paint :twisted::twisted::twisted: Guess you'll be up all night now. Might as well pay your money and cook.

Jamie promised me that neither Spartan Green nor Maze/Blue paint would stick to the pit.

Ahhhh, a Jambo Ralley :icon_cool:lol::-D

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5959/img73001nc5.jpg

tonto1117
04-14-2009, 06:49 AM
I thought it was Hell....

Isn't that in Michigan?:icon_sleepy

Tonto....what time is the potluck supper?

Things keep changing by the minute with my team members and im not happy.:mad:

Prolly change again in the next ten days.........grrrr/

Shooting for 5:30 Bull.

Double D's BBQ
04-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Ya, ya got me there....

Lookin forward to finally meeting you bro! :biggrin:

Me to Bubba. Already shaping up to be a fun time!

tonto1117
04-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Looks like T-shirts and Carharts so far..........

Friday (http://www.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/premium_benefits.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipcode=48822&metric=0), Apr 24

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/52x40/06.gif
Mainly cloudy and warmer
Low: 35 °F
High: 70 °F

Saturday (http://www.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/premium_benefits.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipcode=48822&metric=0), Apr 25

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/52x40/04.gif
Colder with clouds and sun
Low: 37 °F
High: 57 °F

Ford
04-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Shooting for 5:30 Bull.
Better count me out then. Mine won't be ready until at least 7:00.

tonto1117
04-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Better count me out then. Mine won't be ready until at least 7:00.

No biggie Ford, we'll move it up a bit then. It's all good.

FatBoyz
04-15-2009, 06:44 AM
ok we are commin... and we are bringin the barbie bus...lol...and i have a plan to have fun there heheand i am hoping dive will get to come too. i was told bull will have my breakfast for me and will give me a back rub so were commin

bbqbull
04-15-2009, 11:35 AM
ok we are commin... and we are bringin the barbie bus...lol...and i have a plan to have fun there heheand i am hoping dive will get to come too. i was told bull will have my breakfast for me and will give me a back rub so were commin:eek::shock::roll::biggrin:

You coming for real Billy?

FatBoyz
04-15-2009, 08:06 PM
tes we are commin for real. its my bday present to me lol

Bbq Bubba
04-15-2009, 09:23 PM

Pick up Dive, I'll let ya tip my new trailer. :cool:

Divemaster
04-16-2009, 07:44 AM
:eek::shock::roll::biggrin:

You coming for real Billy?

I've confirmed it with Billy and the Barbie Bus is making the trip.

Translation:
Billy says "Yes we are coming, it's a certainty. I've decided as man of the family (and Wendy said it's OK) that I'm giving myself a birthday present"

Pick up Dive, I'll let ya tip my new trailer. :cool:
If all checks out with the truck and trailer this weekend (Spring tune up) I'll be leaving some time Friday morning...

Walt, do you need me to send out the application and check or can I do it once I get there... I figure the way the snail mail is, we should both arrive about the same time.

Bud's BBQ
04-16-2009, 01:40 PM
I've confirmed it with Billy and the Barbie Bus is making the trip.

Walt, do you need me to send out the application and check or can I do it once I get there... I figure the way the snail mail is, we should both arrive about the same time.

Dive, Great News!! Glad you are coming. Please PM me with your email address and I'll forward the application. Fill it out and bring it and the $50 bucks and you are good to go.

Are you participating in the Friday night pot luck dinner? It was incredible last year.

FOR EVERYONE WHO IS ATTENDING - BRING PLENTY OF EXTENSION CORDS AND WATER HOSE!!!!!

See you all on April 24 / 25th.

walt

Divemaster
04-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Dive, Great News!! Glad you are coming. Please PM me with your email address and I'll forward the application. Fill it out and bring it and the $50 bucks and you are good to go.

Are you participating in the Friday night pot luck dinner? It was incredible last year.

FOR EVERYONE WHO IS ATTENDING - BRING PLENTY OF EXTENSION CORDS AND WATER HOSE!!!!!

See you all on April 24 / 25th.

walt
Yea, count me in for the dinner... Not sure what I'll be making, but count me in....

Bbq Bubba
04-16-2009, 02:32 PM
SWEET! Lookin forward to seeing ya Jeffy! :rolleyes:

Were in for dinner.

Mikes cooking! :cool:

FatBoyz
04-17-2009, 12:46 PM
so what? if i dont bring some foor i cant eat with ya'll? snobbs!!!!fine i will bring a 1/4 barrol of point for dinner i think i will have to ask wendy first i need permition did i say that out load or think it?

tonto1117
04-17-2009, 12:53 PM
so what? if i dont bring some foor i cant eat with ya'll? snobbs!!!!fine i will bring a 1/4 barrol of point for dinner i think i will have to ask wendy first i need permition did i say that out load or think it?

DIVE......Translation please...I think.....:shock::icon_shy:lol:

Scottie
04-17-2009, 01:14 PM
translation...

Billy is going to get drunk...

Divemaster
04-17-2009, 01:15 PM
DIVE......Translation please...I think.....:shock::icon_shy:lol:

Why, this is an easy one....

translation...

Billy is going to get drunk...

Sorry, wrong again... Maybe it's not that easy...

so what?
Translation: "Let me see if I have all of the information correct."

if i dont bring some foor i cant eat with ya'll? snobbs!!!!
Translation: "Are you saying that if I don't bring some thing for the Pot Luck Dinner, my family and I aren't allowed to eat with every one else? I think I'm going to cry!"

fine i will bring a 1/4 barrol of point for dinner

Translation: "I have an idea! I'll bring a quarter barrel of Wisconsin's finest 'Point' beer to share with every one else!

i will have to ask wendy first i need permition did i say that out load or think it?
Translation: "I hope no one finds out that I feel a need to ask my wife if it's OK to bring the beer. Oh my gosh. I think I wrote that instead of just thinking it! There goes my Man Card, again."

I hope that helps....

Spydermike72
04-17-2009, 03:00 PM

Billy, you know I love you!! It will be good to see you and Dive again, and I will cook something for you for the potluck!! Just bring your happy arse to God's Country and enjoy some good food and good times!!

Spydermike72
04-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Were in for dinner.

Mikes cooking! :cool:

That's because we want to look good in front of everybody!! :biggrin:

Ford
04-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Last time we fed you it wasn't pretty but I'm game. Will have some nearly raw beef for dinner and some for breakfast maybe. Depends on how much we eat at dinner. Just bring your smiling face.

Bbq Bubba
04-17-2009, 05:04 PM
I may have lined up a sacrificial porta potty for you to play with.

Happy early B-day. :twisted:

EatonHoggBBQ
04-17-2009, 09:28 PM
I won't be getting there until Saturday, looks like I'll be missing all the fun. :cry:

tonto1117
04-18-2009, 08:50 AM
I won't be getting there until Saturday, looks like I'll be missing all the fun. :cry:

Yeah, but there should be some good stories to tell by then...:-P

bbqbull
04-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Yeah, but there should be some good stories to tell by then...:-P:shock::roll::mrgreen:

Im sure your right Tonto!

bbqbull
04-18-2009, 09:05 AM
I hope the weather man is correct!

http://www.accuweather.com/us/mi/eagle/48822/forecast2.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&metric=0

EatonHoggBBQ
04-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Yeah, but there should be some good stories to tell by then...:-P

And stories are always better than the real thang. :eek: :rolleyes: :biggrin:

FatBoyz
04-18-2009, 08:01 PM
ok last time ford you know i was bibbsed that dont count. and yes wendy and i are cooking something.and I cant wait to see ya'll again... and you have no idea how thankful i am for the porta potty but i do need to set the recored strait dive started that in lambs farm im just pissed i did not think of it

FatBoyz
04-19-2009, 04:16 PM
hay if any of you can find 3 dead guys bourbon please get me a bottle i will pay you for it. i hear you can get it in your state

Divemaster
04-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Walt, do me a favor and post the actual address... I need to put it into the GPS so I'm can be sure to get there...

tonto1117
04-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Walt, do me a favor and post the actual address... I need to put it into the GPS so I'm can be sure to get there...

Here ya go Jeff.....it's also on the app we sent you. Weather is looking good and thier calling for sunny and close to 80* on Friday....WooHoo!!

Eagle Park Fairgrounds

Divemaster
04-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Here ya go Jeff.....it's also on the app we sent you. Weather is looking good and thier calling for sunny and close to 80* on Friday....WooHoo!!

Eagle Park Fairgrounds
Thanks T!

Bud's BBQ
04-20-2009, 05:49 PM
hay if any of you can find 3 dead guys bourbon please get me a bottle i will pay you for it. i hear you can get it in your state

Never heard of this rot gut. There's a party store right across the street from the Eagle Fair grounds. I looked at our local store and they never heard of 3 Dead Guys.

CajunSmoker
04-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Never heard of this rot gut. There's a party store right across the street from the Eagle Fair grounds. I looked at our local store and they never heard of 3 Dead Guys.

Mix him a few Martini's Walt:biggrin: He'll have an "EPIC" night:icon_blush:

Hope you guys have a great time:cool:

Bud's BBQ
04-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Mix him a few Martini's Walt:biggrin: He'll have an "EPIC" night:icon_blush:

Hope you guys have a great time:cool:

Billy, without a martini, is Epic. No gin for Billy :evil:

congrats on your ribs in Lula. I should have done some shiggin at Hammond :icon_cool

Coz
04-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Walt,maybe you could get Ford to use his influence with the folks in Fort Atkinson to send Bibs out to hang with Billy!They get along so well and when they get done Billy just goes and takes a nap.

Bud's BBQ
04-21-2009, 05:36 AM
Walt,maybe you could get Ford to use his influence with the folks in Fort Atkinson to send Bibs out to hang with Billy!They get along so well and when they get done Billy just goes and takes a nap.

I'm guessing 'Bibs' are better than diapers :roll:

FatBoyz
04-21-2009, 07:27 AM
I havent practiset my drinking enuff to get bibsed again!!!!!!!!!!!!! eddy promised me i dont have to do that again.lol Rylee from Qu smoking crew still sayes he cant belive anyone could drink that much and i always tell him i did not remember lol but i did try

Ford
04-21-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm guessing 'Bibs' are better than diapers :roll:
You haven't met Bibs. Suppsoed to be the scariest guy there with a body count out in the swamp if you listen to tall tales. But he did have a real nice switchblade sticker. And Billy did what he was told including having a little drink or 2.

Coz
04-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Good thing Bibs didnt see what Billy did to his dog!

Bud's BBQ
04-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Good thing Bibs didnt see what Billy did to his dog!

Yikes!! :shock:

The Winter Thaw is just a freindly neighborhood practice cook.

Divemaster
04-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Just got to load up the trailer and I'm ready to go! I figure I should be there between 11:00 and 12:00 local... (yes, I did take into account the time zones for a change... lol)

I don't know yet if Lori is going to make it or not. It's kind of up in the air...

tonto1117
04-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Sounds great Dive!! Weather is looking like it's gonna cooperate and be a beautifull Friday & Saturday.8-)

See ya tommorow.:grin:

bbqbull
04-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Everybody have a safe trip to Eagle.

We hope to be there about 10:30 am tomorrow.

Double D's BBQ
04-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Its time for a Roll Call. Who is planning on coming tomorrow?

We should be there sometime in the early to mid-afternoon. Looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow!

Dallas

Bbq Bubba
04-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Be there about noonish! :cool:

Divemaster
04-23-2009, 01:07 PM
What time can we get into the park tomorrow???

Bbq Bubba
04-23-2009, 02:16 PM

I'm waking Bull up at 6 AM! :twisted:

J Appledog
04-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I'll be there tomorrow afternoon and am bringing food for the potluck. Per a couple of requests I'm bringing some of each of Mrs. Dog's products (see mrsdogs.com if you're unfamiliar) and some Dizzy Pig rubs.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!

Julie

Bud's BBQ
04-23-2009, 02:31 PM
I'll be there tomorrow afternoon and am bringing food for the potluck. Per a couple of requests I'm bringing some of each of Mrs. Dog's products (see mrsdogs.com if you're unfamiliar) and some Dizzy Pig rubs.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!

Julie

Please bring some jars of your chipolte salt, we're getting low.

Bud's BBQ
04-23-2009, 02:33 PM

We'll be ready for you anytime after 10:30 AM. We need to lay out the spots and rope a muddy area. See you tomorrow.........

Drive safely.

Bud's BBQ
04-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Its time for a Roll Call. Who is planning on coming tomorrow?

We should be there sometime in the early to mid-afternoon. Looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow!

Dallas

Hey Dallas,
The list:

1) Smoke Eaters BBQ Yes
2) Rubbed Smoked & Sauced Yes
3) Great Lakes BBQ & Feed Co. Yes
4) Roast n Toast BBQ ?
5) Bavarian Smoke BBQ Yes
6) Beale St BBQ Yes
7) Dr Chuckies BBQ Yes
8) Cap’t-n-Smoke Yes
9) Pork of the North Yes
10) StockCar BBQ Yes
11) Double D’s Yes
12) Fat Boyz BBQ Yes
13) DB's Smokehouse ?

Tentative Teams:
1. Hog Wild BBQ
2. Big Dog BBQ

The "Yes" or "?" designates pot luck participants.

Theresa has received some tentative inquiries besides those listed, so we may see a few surprise contestants.

Drive safely.

Double D's BBQ
04-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks Walt. 15 or more teams possible. Good showing. Is it two late to get sanctioning?:-D

Divemaster
04-23-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm going to bring out some of my Smoked Chli....

Send me a pm if I need to get bowls and spoons...

Bud's BBQ
04-23-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm going to bring out some of my Smoked Chli....

Send me a pm if I need to get bowls and spoons...

We've got spoons and plates but no bowels....er, bowls!

Ummmm, chli.......

Bud's BBQ
04-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks Walt. 15 or more teams possible. Good showing. Is it two late to get sanctioning?:-D

Definitely no proc and no sanctioning - just BBQ, booze and good times :-D

Bbq Bubba
04-23-2009, 03:12 PM
We'll be ready for you anytime after 10:30 AM. We need to lay out the spots and rope a muddy area. See you tomorrow.........

Drive safely.

I will require a 10 X 30 space please. :tongue:

New trailer mod! :cool:

Divemaster
04-23-2009, 03:19 PM
We've got spoons and plates but no bowels....er, bowls!

Ummmm, chli.......
I'll pickup a bunch of bowls tonight

Divemaster
04-23-2009, 03:21 PM

I never really measured my rig and the truck. Guess it would be about the same for me.

Bbq Bubba
04-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I never really measured my rig and the truck. Guess it would be about the same for me.

NO WAY yours is bigger than mine....

NTTAWWT. :cool:

Ford
04-24-2009, 07:00 AM

Drive safely.
Trailer pull in the muddy area. We can use you new pit as the weight. Wait that won't work as I wouldn't even notice a little pit like that behind my truck:biggrin:

20x31 just for the trailer to be setup. Especially if my new canopy works with the old leg extensions.:twisted:

NO WAY yours is bigger than mine....

NTTAWWT. :cool:
Sorry Bubba but sometimes you need to face reality:icon_devil

All loaded so just need to pack some clothes for 80F days and find my cigars.

Jacked UP BBQ
04-24-2009, 08:27 AM
First person to see billy from fatboyz, please have him call Matt from NJ. 732-558-9554. Thanks everyone. I was suppose to meet up with him here but I cannot get a hold of him.

tonto1117
04-26-2009, 12:13 PM
I'd like to give a big thanks to all the teams that made it out to the Second annual GLBBQA Winter Thaw Out!

Congratulations to Pork Of The North (Larry and Sue) on their GC and Double D's BBQ on RGC and to all who took a walk!! (Dive, you missed Reserve by 8 ten thousandths of a point :eek: Congrats on a fine showing :wink:

Final Finish
1. Pork of the North
2.Double D's BBQ
3. StockCar BBQ
4. Bavarian Smoke
5. Dr. Chuckie / Ken
6. CaptainDan -N-Smoke
7. Great Lakes BBQ & Feed
8. DB's Smokehouse
9. Smoke Eaters BBQ
10. Beale Street BBQ
11. Rub Sauced & Smoked
12. Fat Boyz BBQ

Chicken
!. Dr. Chuckie/Ken
2. Double D's
3. Bavarian Smoke
4. StockCar
5. DB's Smokehouse BBQ
6. Smoke Eaters
7. Pork of the North
8. Great Lakes BBQ & Feed
9. CaptainDan-N-Smoke
10. Beale Street
11. Fat Boyz
12. Rub Smoked & Sauced

Ribs
1. StockCar
2. Pork of the North
3. Bavarian Smoke
4. Dr. Chuckie / Ken
5. Double D's
6. Great Lakes BBQ & feed
7. DB"s Smokehouse
8. CaptainDan-N-Smoke
9. Beale Street BBQ
10. Rub Sauced & Smoked
11. Smoke Eaters BBQ
12. FatBoyz BBQ

Pork
1. Pork of the North
2. Double D's
3. StockCar
4. Rub Sauced and Smoked
5. Great Lakes BBQ & Feed
6. Beale Street BBQ
7. CaptainDan-N-Smoke
8. Dr. Chuckie / Ken
9. Bavarian Smoke
10. DB's Smokehouse
11. SmokeEaters BBQ
12. FatBoyz BBQ

Brisket
1. Pork of the North
2. CaptainDan-N-Smoke
3. Bavarian Smoke
4. Double D's BBQ
5. Great Lakes BBQ & Feed
6. Beale Street BBQ
7. SmokeEaters BBQ
8. DB's Smokehouse
9. Rub Sauced and Smoked
10. StockCar BBQ
11. Dr. Chuckie / Ken
12. FatBoyz BBQ

The pot luck dinner surpassed everyone's wildest imagination.......I've decided that it should be re-named The Gourmet Buffet!
Ford, that strip loin was incredible as well as RichTee's stuffed pork loin.....everthing was delicious. Thanks to all the great cooks - a true feast.

A big thank you to Bbqbull and Mark for staying to clean up the waste cans.....too bad we didn't think to have a bottle and can box at each site....we could'a made out like bandits on those 10 cent returns!!

Thanks to all of the Judges. Neil and Marci, thanks for making it to Eagle again this year; John from Eatonhog BBQ, great job as table captain.
Special thanks to BMacand Barb, Scott and Walt for really pitching in.
Also thanks to Bubba for donating the drum for the raffle. Captain Dan won not one but both of the raffles - hope you bought a lotto ticket last night - see you in Mt. Morris http://www.glbbqa.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif.

Hope everyone made it home safe. One last note......I am changing my carreer to be a weatherman.....can't think of a better job where you only have to be right on occaison and still get paid for it!

Captian Dan
04-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Had a great time again, thanks to all the hard working folks that made this happen. I also want to thank the GLBBQA folks for obtaining a couple great raffle prizes!:wink:

Met some new friends, and enjoyed seeing the ones I made last year. I will return again if you folks decide to make the event a 3rd annual.

Capt. Dan.:-D

Double D's BBQ
04-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Wow, what a great event! I know a lot of work went into this. I think you've got the makings of a very nice competition here should you ever want to go in that direction. Walt and Theresa, thank you for the hospitality that you showed to Dan and me and thanks for the tips on the Geer. They were all a big help. The potluck dinner and breakfast was fantastic. And how could you ask for a more exciting finish with the storm warning and the weather gods taking mercy on us by clearing up just in time for the brisket turn in. Congratulations to Pork Of The North for their impressive win and to all who walked!

Kudos to the Greal Lakes Barebecue Association. It was great to meet everyone and I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Eagle! Now lets try to get a contest in NE Ohio so we can return the hospitality. I saw a herd of Bison (right off of I-80 in the Sandusky area) grazing on my drive home. Looks like the making for some good brisket!

Dallas and Dan

Bbq Bubba
04-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Congrats on the great finish Dallas, it was a pleasure to meet you!

I had a T-shirt for you but you dissapeared on me! :biggrin:

Double D's BBQ
04-26-2009, 01:52 PM
It was a pleasure meeting you too Bubba. Sorry for the rushed exit but we had a long drive back and were trying to get back before dark. We got the hat though!:-D

Joneser
04-26-2009, 08:21 PM
That was an awesome event! I really thought it was cool how everyone didn't mind stopping to chat for a few minutes. Met a lot of great people. Great experience. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Richtee
04-27-2009, 05:12 AM
I'd like to give a big thanks to all the teams that made it out to the Second annual GLBBQA Winter Thaw Out!

The pot luck dinner surpassed everyone's wildest imagination.......I've decided that it should be re-named The Gourmet Buffet!
Ford, that strip loin was incredible as well as RichTee's stuffed pork loin.....everthing was delicious. Thanks to all the great cooks - a true feast.

Thanks to you folks too!

Dang..if there were only awards for the Pot Luck... Another 2nd would have been great! :lol:

Diva Q
04-27-2009, 05:44 AM
Congrats to all that went it looked like it was going to be a blast
Wish we could have made it !!

U2CANQUE
04-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Nice showing Dallas...glad that someone from OH went up and represented!!......sounds like it was a blast.......congrats to all

Chipper
04-27-2009, 06:18 AM
Were you in Key Colony Beach, FL in February?

Double D's BBQ
04-27-2009, 06:26 AM
No not us. There are a couple of teams with names very similar to ours but we are the original!:-D

Divemaster
04-27-2009, 08:42 AM
All I can say is 'Thank you' for putting on such a great event!!! What a great way to try out new recipes and practice some old ones!

Walt and Theresa, you and the GLBBQA did a great job! Now if we could work on the timing of the storms and cut down on the wind it would have been perfect. lol

I'm still sitting here in disbelief as to how well we did... Just prior to the awards ceremony we were all giving Walt a rough time when we saw him double and triple checking the numbers. Little did we know how close it would be! .0008 of a point damn, I knew I should have moved that one piece of parsley 1/64th to the right... lol

It looks like we still need some work on our brisket. I knew that by the fact that I liked it, always a bad sign...

If I can make one recommendation for next year? Could we have comment cards for each of the turn-ins? Like many others, I was trying out a number of new recipes and would have liked the feedback (especially on my brisket!).

It was great to see all of my friends again, it’s been a long winter (I’m glad the snow finally melted up there, I was worried!). It was also great to meet all of my new friends.

Thank you again for a great event!

Stoke&Smoke
04-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Sounds like a great time was had by all...we'll have to try and get this on our calendar next year!