PDA

View Full Version : EZ-Ups for Vending

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-28-2009, 08:09 AM
I have read some threads on EZ-Up type shelters and see that most Brethren think the EZ-Up brand is the best choice in the long run. Most of the discussion has revolved around competition set ups. I am more interested right now in vending at one-day farmer's markets, which is similar, but I want to make sure that EZ-Up is still what I should be looking to buy.

Looking at their website, they have several models. Which model should I be looking at? Looks like they recommend the Enterprise II for what I will be doing. Is that more than I need ?

Bbq Bubba
02-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Whatever you decide, make sure you get the screen walls, HD required. :biggrin:

Bigmista
02-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Ez-up or Caravan

nthole
02-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Sams has one that includes sides (solid though I think) and a front half side. Then all you need is the screened sides for when it's warmer out and you should be set.

I think of vending pretty much as the same setup as a comp. Food prep area, cleaning area (3 basins), and a serving table. But then again...I haven't really done any vending...yet!

HBMTN
02-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Mine are made by First Up, got them at Walmart for $80, they now have EZ Ups for $89 10'x10'

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Mine are made by First Up, got them at Walmart for $80, they now have EZ Ups for $89 10'x10'

I found that Walmart, at least on their website, has the First Up that you got and another brand called Stow-EZ. Don't see online where they have EZ-Up brand.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Ez-up or Caravan

Neil, where did you find the screens with the pass-thru windows? Those look perfect.

HBMTN
02-28-2009, 10:14 AM
You are correct, my mind saw EZ and assumed it was EZ Up. A Walmart trick I'm sure.

Bigmista
02-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Neil, where did you find the screens with the pass-thru windows? Those look perfect.
I actually bought those used on craigslist from a vendor getting out of the business.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Anyone ever had problem with the fire inspector about the tarp being flame resistant?

C Rocke
03-01-2009, 08:40 PM

caravan sells them on line - $89 for 4.

Just Smokin' Around
03-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Anyone ever had problem with the fire inspector about the tarp being flame resistant?
It's requied in some locations - mostly cities where the fire dept. has set up rules. You can download the fire retardant certificate off the Caravan website. I carry it with the pop-ups just in case. You may need them in DC if they inspect - cook teams can be required to show them.

If you go with Caravan, then you can order ther steel frame 10x10 online from Costco for about $225. If you go to the Costco store, they are about $190 for aluminium frame. They come with solid side walls. I got the steel frame.
I like Caravan because I don't like pushing in the "button" to raise and lower the legs and canopy with the EZ-Up - pinched fingers. Caravan has a pull-pin design.

I saw a post somewhere a few months ago for screened sidewalls for $20 for 4 - fits a 10x10. I was going to get them off the Caravan website (mentioned above) until I found these - forget the name of the company, but it was a cheaper canopy company. So, hunt around. Haven't used them yet.

big range bbq
03-01-2009, 10:38 PM
We (big range bbq) heard so many good things about bigmista, that we had to go see what it was all about...we had tasted his stuff before last year in Hesperia, but had to see what his setup was like at the farmers market Since this is what is consuming our lives right now...We are preparing for the same road.
So, we woke up this morning threw our kids in the car and drove about 80 miles to Meet the Mista and The MrsMista......We introduced ourselves, and ordered away...we ordered the BIGMISTA! This was plenty of food for the four of us....and I think people were even looking at us funny, as we devoured some really great BBQ that someone else had cooked for us! IT was fabulous, and what a warm, and wonderful bunch of people. They made us feel right at home, and showed us the ropes of how a well run booth is run at the market. We are so glad we decided to drive the 160 miles (round trip) It was a beautiful Southern California Day, and even better when we got to eat some great BBQ, and meet some even better brethren...
Thank you Mr and Mrs Mista! We wish you nothing but success, and keep your fingers crossed for us too! P.S. Our son who is a red velvet afficianado, said it was one of the best....so keep the red velvet coming...

After looking around on here tonight, I think we probably posted in the wrong area..lol we are new to this posting thing...:)

Bigmista
03-02-2009, 01:44 AM
I realyy appreciate you guys coming out today. I have to get used to folks coming so far just for my bbq that I serve from my Caravan tent.

BOT. :lol:

Michael in PA
03-03-2009, 11:29 PM
We use Caravan aluminum 10 x 20s with red roofs. They take a pretty good beating and you can get replacement parts.

TOPS BBQ
03-04-2009, 01:02 PM
FYI - You can order both on-line at Costco. The differences are:
Allumashade II - $220, Other - $200
Allumashade II 600 Denier polyesther top, Other - 500 Denier Canopy poly top.

As for the actual frame - Allumashade II says it's frame is reinforced Alluminum, while the other is a Steel frame. I'm not sure how true the "steel" reference is, because they both rated as being 68 lbs in weight.

The one you purchase at Costco is the $200 version. I purchased two on-line for $220 each and am very happy with them.

As for the "pass thru" walls. Those can be purchased direct from Caravan for a cheaper price than Costco's. The website says they sell for $80 for 4 walls. I know people that have called them and actually got them for $60 - $65.

Good Luck!

If you go with Caravan, then you can order ther steel frame 10x10 online from Costco for about $225. If you go to the Costco store, they are about $190 for aluminium frame. They come with solid side walls. I got the steel frame.
I like Caravan because I don't like pushing in the "button" to raise and lower the legs and canopy with the EZ-Up - pinched fingers. Caravan has a pull-pin design.

I saw a post somewhere a few months ago for screened sidewalls for $20 for 4 - fits a 10x10. I was going to get them off the Caravan website (mentioned above) until I found these - forget the name of the company, but it was a cheaper canopy company. So, hunt around. Haven't used them yet.

tony76248
03-06-2009, 09:51 AM
I have the EZ-Up and I just started into year three with it. I have used it about 50 times and it has blown away three times. Twice landing in the lake. Once it launched at a cookoff with a First Up brand canopy attached to it and by the time me and the guy next to us got them back, the First Up unit went into the dumpster, it was all beat to hell and mine just had one bent arm which bent back to normal. That told me all I needed to know about the EZ-Up compared to the competition.

I realize that there are several models to choose from in each brand. My suggestion is get the toughest one. Aluminum is lighter than the steel which is good if you have to carry one any distance.

COSTCO has a good price on the EZ-Up and they come with sides. I normally don't use the sides because they catch a lot of wind and can lead to trouble.

tony76248
03-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Another thing to know about EX-UP canopies is that they have all of the replacement parts available if you should ever need them.

http://ezupdirect.com/shelter-parts-index.htm

Dr_KY
03-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Ya know it looks like the laws here are more slack then I thought. Went to Wales for The rugby game and had a word with a guy that was vending for a pub. He has a easy up with no sides, an open grill and no real temp controlled food holding.

I'm further along in this game that I thought.
I'll be trying to contact Fosters this week and see if they can provide a little help. :cool: