PDA

View Full Version : contest logs/ check-off sheets

Bossmanbbq
02-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Just wondered if any of you have any contest logs or check-off sheets that you use that you have found to be helpful that you would like to share. I'm trying to put some together and thought I might get some more ideas from seeing what other people have included in their logs.

Harbormaster
02-26-2009, 06:04 PM
PM sent

eagle697
02-26-2009, 06:06 PM
I have done comps, never made a log or check off sheet. What all do you put on them? Could be a great thread.

Bossmanbbq
02-26-2009, 06:14 PM
I started to put a list together of prep to be done prior to the contest so I don't forget stuff. Prepartion log for each catagory check off with notes for each, and then a log to write down what I did at each contest to review later to help improve and remember what I did LOL
From talking to others this seems to be the best tool to have when competiting and to improve!

Buster Dog BBQ
02-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Smokin Guns has a good one
http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/checklist.cfm

Neal
02-26-2009, 09:32 PM
It took us about 3 or 4 contests to get a good one worked up. The first thing I did was create a timeline for each of the four meats seperately. I started at the begining with trimming and went through every step, up to and including boxing the meat at the end. Then I merged all four into an Excel sheet and added some other stuff like lighting the fire in the cooker and making boxes. Each item has a check box to ensure we have done every step or to make sure that a step wasn't done twice. We used it for the first time a few years ago, adding a few things and it took some time to get it down. We still make revisions based on each contest. It really is our best tool.

Divemaster
02-27-2009, 09:51 AM
I like the general information that Smokin Guns has on theirs...

My "To Bring" list, for better or worse, is far more detailed. What I would love to see is a 'To Do' check list...

Mike - CSBBBQ
02-27-2009, 10:45 AM
It took us about 3 or 4 contests to get a good one worked up. The first thing I did was create a timeline for each of the four meats seperately. I started at the begining with trimming and went through every step, up to and including boxing the meat at the end. Then I merged all four into an Excel sheet and added some other stuff like lighting the fire in the cooker and making boxes. Each item has a check box to ensure we have done every step or to make sure that a step wasn't done twice. We used it for the first time a few years ago, adding a few things and it took some time to get it down. We still make revisions based on each contest. It really is our best tool.

Agree, a timeline is one of the best things we ever did...especially when enjoying a tasty beverage:-P

Alexa RnQ
02-27-2009, 10:55 AM
We now have our overall pack list subdivided by what boxes each item is packed in. For the boxes themselves and what stuff goes in the trailer loose, let me just say: DON'T check anything off the list until it actually gets packed! I may THINK I'm going to grab that other thing on the way, but...

Timelines are golden. They're ever-evolving things, based on your cook methods and practice results, and that's exactly what makes them so valuable.