PDA

View Full Version : NY State BBQ Championship Series

Sledneck
02-23-2009, 11:16 AM
http://www.nybbqchamp.com/

So what are the rules?

When and where does it get awarded?

Will their be a cup that gets passed on?

goodsmokebbq
02-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Sled, we have lots in the works still, and we are working through the details, like what you mentioned. Hope to have something soon. I will keep you posted. I like the pass on trophy idea!

ique
02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
http://www.nybbqchamp.com/

So what are the rules?

When and where does it get awarded?

Will their be a cup that gets passed on?

The Grill King belt would be perfect for this....

Looking forward to the rules... I'm wondering if you have to cook all of em in order to "play" :confused:

Jorge
02-23-2009, 11:48 AM
The Grill King belt would be perfect for this....

Looking forward to the rules... I'm wondering if you have to cook all of em in order to "play" :confused:

You already have plans that conflict with the last, don't you?:mrgreen:

goodsmokebbq
02-23-2009, 11:54 AM
The initial thought was to model it after NEBS TOY, where your top "X" scores count. We haven't decided on "X" yet. This way you won't have to compete in all the events to have a chance and you can better some of your not so good ones :-).

ique
02-23-2009, 11:58 AM
You already have plans that conflict with the last, don't you?:mrgreen:

I *hope* I have a conflict :lol:

Sledneck
02-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Is this for KCBS only? Can williepalooza be added?

ique
02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Is this for KCBS only? Can williepalooza be added?

You want to add a non-sanctioned events?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55283

goodsmokebbq
02-23-2009, 01:19 PM
In order to keep scores consistent, to the degree that we can, I think we have to keep it KCBS. This way we can just add up the scores. Open to other ideas, but we wanted to keep the scoring simple. Also allowing other cook-offs in would open a slippery slope, what exactly would the criteria be?

rbsnwngs
02-23-2009, 04:40 PM
You want to add a non-sanctioned events?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55283

what about an event that is a state quialifer but not sanctioned by anyone but run based on KCBS rules you still have the opportunity to make the jack or royaly but it's run as a friendly event without the cost

lunchlady
02-24-2009, 07:12 AM
there's no such thing as 'friendly competition' anymore... doncha know. :>

back on topic... how many of the 7 do you have to cook? I'd think that 4 or even 5 would make it fair, since it IS the CHAMPIONSHIP of New York yer going after....

then... what happens if the team that wins it proudly displays a non-NY team bumper stickah on their pit? heheh

YankeeBBQ
02-24-2009, 07:23 AM
Is this going to be like "The New England BBQ Trail" ?

Sledneck
02-24-2009, 07:29 AM
What is that?

YankeeBBQ
02-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Inside Joke

ique
02-24-2009, 07:57 AM

Based on what I know about the people organizing it.... No.

back on topic... how many of the 7 do you have to cook? I'd think that 4 or even 5 would make it fair, since it IS the CHAMPIONSHIP of New York yer going after..

I'd vote (not that anyone asked) 4 Max, ideally 3. If its 5 there will be very few teams that would qualify.

goodsmokebbq
02-24-2009, 08:56 AM
There are three comps in the west/central and 4 in the east so looking at the geography 4 seems like it would be the best. Folks in the west would have to hit one of the eastern comps. And peoples in the east could can hit a western one to better there position (the western comps are more spread out).

5 would put it out of reach for most teams, 3 doesn't feel like enough to be able to crown a "champ".

The underlining idea is to provide an incentive for teams and increase participation for all the events and I think that 4 would maximize this.

"then... what happens if the team that wins it proudly displays a non-NY team bumper stickah on their pit? heheh"

Better man up NY teams, lunchmeat is salivating :-P

Sledneck
02-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Shouldn't a NYS championship be open to NY teams only? Isn't that the way the PA cup works?

WannaBeBBQueen
02-24-2009, 09:01 AM

Hopefully Swamp Pit BBQ will be able to give her a run for the money:biggrin:

We are currently entered in all but one of the events, which would be oinktoberfest.

Sounds like fun!!

WannaBeBBQueen
02-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Shouldn't a NYS championship be open to NY teams only? Isn't that the way the PA cup works?
Yes it is...Midnight Smokers won in New Holland last year:wink:

ique
02-24-2009, 09:12 AM

The New England Team of the Year is open to anyone... we welcome the competition.

goodsmokebbq
02-24-2009, 09:12 AM

As defensive as I like to get about NY, I don't think we can do that. It would really defeat the purpose. NY comps are usually a melting pot with teams from many surrounding states and Canada.

Sledneck
02-24-2009, 09:17 AM
The New England Team of the Year is open to anyone... we welcome the competition.
Hey I am not trying to get rid of competition. Unfortunately due to other obligations I am not able to compete in any of the NY contests this year so I have no interest I was just asking a question.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-24-2009, 09:27 AM
NJ state champ right here!!!

goodsmokebbq
02-24-2009, 09:35 AM
NJ state champ right here!!!

We definitely can't let a NJ team win :eek::biggrin:

Sledneck
02-24-2009, 09:37 AM
We definitely can't let a NJ team win :eek::biggrin:
I don't think we have to worry about that:tongue:

Jacked UP BBQ
02-24-2009, 09:43 AM
I don't think we have to worry about that:tongue:

At least you don't you aren't even getting in the comps. If you can't beat me join me!!!!:eek:

SmokeInDaEye
02-24-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't think I can do any of these this year either, though I may do New Paltz since its paid for.

lunchlady
02-24-2009, 05:58 PM
"then... what happens if the team that wins it proudly displays a non-NY team bumper stickah on their pit? heheh"

I don't know what you mean... :cool:

actually - this is more along the lines of what I was referring to... :lol:
http://ique2.blogspot.com/

I hear ya 'bout the geographic thing Brian, 4 does seem more do-able for more teams.

hey ... I'm just not feeling the love Sled. :cry:

U2CANQUE
02-24-2009, 06:40 PM

is that fair to the other state teams that make it to the NY contests? We make it a priority to come that way to contests......I would think that we should be rewarded as well....

CTSmokehouse
02-24-2009, 07:13 PM

What Chris said!

That is the ethic of all New Englanders... fair to all...Live Free or Die!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

lunchlady
02-24-2009, 07:16 PM
there's definitely opportunity to have a State Cup like PA, or do what Salisbury MD, does - reward the highest placing Maryland team...

what's needed is someone to do it (and, of course a sponsor or two would be helpful)...

Sled, why don't you run with that? :lol: