PDA

View Full Version : Grillin' On Da Bay 4/4

SmokeInDaEye
02-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Grillin' on Da Bay, a fourth year one-day grilling contest, will be held in Brooklyn on April 4. Categories are chicken breast, fish, pork and chef's choice, plus there is a people's choice chili contest this year.

Hope to see some of you there! Applications can be found at http://grillinonthebay.blogspot.com/.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-22-2009, 04:19 PM
I will be there, I hope. Depends on the daughters recitle or communion.

BBQchef33
02-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Grillin' on Da Bay, a fourth year one-day grilling contest, will be held in Brooklyn on April 4. Categories are chicken breast, fish, pork and chef's choice, plus there is a people's choice chili contest this year.

Hope to see some of you there! Applications can be found at http://grillinonthebay.blogspot.com/.

You're doing a sausage stuffed fatty for chefs choice, right??

:)

Jacked UP BBQ
02-22-2009, 04:26 PM
If you are asking me, I will be doing whatever it takes to win. From what Sled tells me, isn't much!:)

The Anchorman
02-23-2009, 08:18 AM
This is a fun contest, We did pretty well there a couple years ago.:wink:

YankeeBBQ
02-23-2009, 08:41 AM
This is a fun contest, We did pretty well there a couple years ago.:wink:

I hope you got a trophy

The Anchorman
02-23-2009, 09:45 AM
As I recall, and you do also.
YES!, and a gas grill that my brother Bob, has on his deck in Albany.

YankeeBBQ
02-23-2009, 10:09 AM
As I recall, and you do also.
YES!, and a gas grill that my brother Bob, has on his deck in Albany.

Oh Yeah now I rememberhttp://www.ismellsmoke.com/images/Images/dsc03146.jpg

backyardchef
02-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Good times....Ray, you should come and hang out-- or reclaim your crown...:twisted:

Oh Yeah now I rememberhttp://www.ismellsmoke.com/images/Images/dsc03146.jpg

SmokeInDaEye
02-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Good times....Ray, you should come and hang out-- or reclaim your crown...:twisted:

Got to be in it to win it. For now the crown belongs to me.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
02-24-2009, 08:27 PM

is that a younger Clint in that pic????????

SmokeInDaEye
02-24-2009, 08:54 PM

Yeah, that's 2 years ago when the anchormen won. The now missing fish trophy, my first trophy ever. Now all I got is the 2008 GC trophy.

mfalco
02-24-2009, 10:05 PM
no can do - conflict with one of my 57 other hobbies.

If anyones interested- since I got rid of my BBQ Rig, I can get by with MUCH less wood for my dinky backyard offsets - as a result I cahave some exquisit seasoned Cherry (I would estimate a half chord) that has seasoned in my garage since last summer - it's ready to to rock and free for anyone who'll come pick it up!

send me an email if you want it to info@compassmedicalequipment.com

smoke on!!

backyardchef
02-25-2009, 09:48 AM

Who is 'Clint?' :tongue:

backyardchef
03-04-2009, 12:21 PM
So, who are we gonna see on April 4? I'm looking forward to the beginning of the spring and the tremendously cool bbq events popping up in our area.

I can't believe this snow!

nancee
03-04-2009, 04:13 PM
we're in
nancee

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
03-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Who is 'Clint?' :tongue:

some guy that is gonna get on the food network...even if it kills him!!

CTSmokehouse
03-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I love grilling and do it almost every day all year round (that I'm not smokin' Q) ... any chance of a Sunday Comp.? I am a better griller than Q'er but except for Harpoon can't find a Sunday Comp..

Yours in BBQ er Grillin,

Cliff

backyardchef
03-07-2009, 02:40 PM
some guy that is gonna get on the food network...even if it kills him!!

You mean the guy that's gonna beat Bobby Flay even if it kills him. If it happens on the Food Network that's just a bonus. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see you Nancee it's been a long time.....:razz:

Cliff-- our contest is hosted by a church organization, so our contest can't be held on a Sunday, unfortunately....

pigmaker23
03-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Mr. Bobo may be making an apperance and run for the crown

SmokeInDaEye
03-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Mr. Bobo may be making an apperance and run for the crown

Bring it on Bobo. I'm going to make sure my kids are there so they can see the beatdown I'm gonna give you, clown. And your trained ape, Flay, if he shows too.

backyardchef
03-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Lovin' the trash talk......:icon_devil

But more than that, I would love some more judges.....If you are interested in coming, but not competing, why not come out and judge? It will confirm for all those people doubting you, that you are a great American.

YankeeBBQ
03-10-2009, 12:47 PM
I've been thinking about competing.....then I was thinking about judging.....but I'm not big on fish so....I'm thinking about cooking it

backyardchef
03-10-2009, 01:14 PM
I've been thinking about competing.....then I was thinking about judging.....but I'm not big on fish so....I'm thinking about cooking it

Do it up! I'm not big on fish, myself...but I seem to remember enjoying some clamato bloody marys once.....:rolleyes:

pigmaker23
03-10-2009, 03:37 PM
:-PBeat Down, ? Beat Off Maybe, how about i bring the lady ape Ann Burell Along for the ride, she hasnt much to do since her food network show was axed, i'll bet she has some tips for you LOL :-D:-D:-D

Bring it on Bobo. I'm going to make sure my kids are there so they can see the beatdown I'm gonna give you, clown. And your trained ape, Flay, if he shows too.

Lakeside Smoker
03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
.. she hasnt much to do since her food network show was axed,

NO!! That sucks. I liked her, she's crazy.

SmokeInDaEye
03-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Bobo, you're a clown. Contest is up to 11 teams now (not counting YankeeBBQ or Bobo, the 2007 champ). Don't see any Long Island folks on here though and we have the shortest commute! Where's our reigning Battle of the BBQ Brethren winner? Barry? Julie? Sled, Mr. Cutlets is competing!!!!

Smoke In Da Eye
Purple Turtle Caterers - Returning Champions from the first Grillin' On The Bay.
Beer Belly Porkers
iQue
Ribs Within
Fire Fish
Smokey Mikes
King's County BBQ Truck
Josh Ozersky of the Feedbag and formerly of Grub Street
The Bay Burners
Born Again BBQ

Sledneck
03-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Bobo, you're a clown. Contest is up to 11 teams now (not counting YankeeBBQ or Bobo, the 2007 champ). Don't see any Long Island folks on here though and we have the shortest commute! Where's our reigning Battle of the BBQ Brethren winner? Barry? Julie? Sled, Mr. Cutlets is competing!!!!

Smoke In Da Eye
Purple Turtle Caterers - Returning Champions from the first Grillin' On The Bay.
Beer Belly Porkers
iQue
Ribs Within
Fire Fish
Smokey Mikes
King's County BBQ Truck
The Bay Burners
Born Again BBQUnfortunately I will be out of town that weekend otherwise I would love represent the Illuminati to cook against Josh"Mr sauce covers a multitude of sins" Ozerksy . The first GOTB was our first foray doing competition cooking. As for questioning those of us with the shortest commute to a contest I do not see SIDE signed up to cook Williepallooza:rolleyes:

SmokeInDaEye
03-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Unfortunately I will be out of town that weekend otherwise I would love represent the Illuminati to cook against Josh"Mr sauce covers a multitude of sins" Ozerksy . The first GOTB was our first foray doing competition cooking. As for questioning those of us with the shortest commute to a contest I do not see SIDE signed up to cook Williepallooza:rolleyes:

I didn't see Williepallooza on the KCBS or NEBS calendar. When is it?

MAsQue
03-16-2009, 06:14 AM

Smoke In Da Eye
Beer Belly Porkers
iQue
Ribs Within
Fire Fish
Smokey Mikes
King's County BBQ Truck
The Bay Burners
Born Again BBQ

Add us to the list.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Ique is cooking??? Hope he makes it back for the class!:) SLed, if he can cook it, we should????

backyardchef
03-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Add us to the list.

Great to see you back, Brian!

From what I hear, Mr. Cutlets will be bringing Robbie "Fatty Cue" Richter with him....

A few more teams have been added in just the last few days....Not sure of all of them....

Smoke In Da Eye
Beer Belly Porkers
iQue
Ribs Within
Fire Fish
Smokey Mikes
King's County BBQ Truck
The Bay Burners
Born Again BBQ
Ma's Que Crew
Smoke On The Water
Team Agave
Atom's Ribs??? :eek:

SmokeInDaEye
03-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Great to see you back, Brian!

From what I hear, Mr. Cutlets will be bringing Robbie "Fatty Cue" Richter with him....

A few more teams have been added in just the last few days....Not sure of all of them....

Smoke In Da Eye
Beer Belly Porkers
iQue
Ribs Within
Fire Fish
Smokey Mikes
King's County BBQ Truck
The Bay Burners
Born Again BBQ
Ma's Que Crew
Smoke On The Water
Team Agave
Atom's Ribs??? :eek:

Hmmm. Great lineup, except that last team. They sound like a bunch Newyawkers.:wink:

backyardchef
03-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Hmmm. Great lineup, except that last team. They sound like a bunch Newyawkers.:wink:

I know...who the fark are 'dose geyes? :rolleyes:

Updated lineup.....

Smoke In Da Eye - Defending Champion!
Beer Belly Porkers
iQue featuring Andy O. C. Husbands of the award winning Tremont647
Ribs Within
Smokey Mikes
Fire Fish
Bay Burners
King's County BBQ Truck
Josh Ozersky of the Feedbag formerly of Grub Street with Robbie Richter, former Pitmaster of Hill Country
Born Again BBQ featuring Kevin Lincoln founder of the New York BBQ Lover's Meetup Group
Moose's Mayhem
Atom's Ribs featuring Matt Fisher, former Pitmaster of Wildwood BBQ NYC
Team Agave
Ma's Cue Crew
Transformer BBQ
Smoke on the Water

Known Brethren teams in bold. Did I miss anyone?

Looks like its gonna be a nice day......Where my lawnguylanders at!? Judges....? We still need some....:icon_clown

backyardchef
03-21-2009, 02:30 PM
UPDATE: As of March 21, 2009

Beer Belly Porkers
Ribs Within
Smokey Mikes
Fire Fish
Bay Burners
King's County BBQ Truck
Josh Ozersky of the Feedbag formerly of Grub Street with Robbie Richter, former Pitmaster of Hill Country
Moose's Mayhem
Team Agave
Ma's Cue Crew
Transformer BBQ
Smoke on the Water
Fuhgedabouttit
Wildwood BBQ -- Featuring Big Lou Elrose, formerly of Hill Country BBQ

Westexbbq
03-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Nice going Matt,
looks to be not only a stellar.
but also a notorious line up of competition.:eusa_clap

backyardchef
03-22-2009, 11:24 AM
UPDATE: As of March 21, 2009

Beer Belly Porkers
Ribs Within
Smokey Mikes
Fire Fish
Bay Burners
King's County BBQ Truck
Moose's Mayhem
Team Agave
Ma's Cue Crew
Transformer BBQ
Smoke on the Water featuring Eric "mr bobo" Johnson of La Frieda "black Label Meats"
Fuhgedabouttit
Wildwood BBQ -- Featuring Big Lou Elrose, formerly of Hill Country BBQ

SmokeInDaEye
03-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Damn! That's a lineup! I'm gonna have to get me a special guest on my team just to be able to play along side Mr. Cutlets, Mr. Bobo, Big Lou, Transformer, Robby Richter, Andy Husbands, Yackbardchef, Nancee and the rest.

Anyone have Bobby Flay's phone number?

backyardchef
03-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Also, remember the chili contest is free to enter whether you do the griller or not.

As of March 25

Beer Belly Porkers
Ribs Within
Smokey Mikes
Fire Fish
Bay Burners
King's County BBQ Truck
Moose's Mayhem
Team Agave
Ma's Cue Crew
Transformer BBQ
Smoke on the Water featuring Eric "mr bobo" Johnson of La Frieda "black Label Meats"
Fuhgedabouttit
Wildwood BBQ NYC -- Featuring Big Lou Elrose, formerly of Hill Country BBQ
Curly Q's
RB's BBQ
Eat A doughnut

They can still fit a few more teams in. Max is @ 24. Getting close. ALSO Still looking for more judges/table captains....so, if you were on the fence, come on out. Anyone who's been to this event knows that it is always a fun time.

YankeeBBQ
03-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Damn! That's a lineup! I'm gonna have to get me a special guest on my team just to be able to play along side Mr. Cutlets, Mr. Bobo, Big Lou, Transformer, Robby Richter, Andy Husbands, Yackbardchef, Nancee and the rest.

Anyone have Bobby Flay's phone number?

I will have special guest Dave Petey Peterson who I believe made quite an impression the 2 years we repped the contest. :mrgreen:

lunchlady
03-25-2009, 04:02 PM
uh-oh... Team Agave? You're putting the 'band' back together for this one?
painful... very painful.

YankeeBBQ
03-26-2009, 07:40 AM
Yeah and we're staying in Manhattan. Oh my head

backyardchef
03-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Also, remember the chili contest is free to enter whether you do the griller or not.

As of March 26

Beer Belly Porkers
Ribs Within
Smokey Mikes
Fire Fish
Bay Burners
King's County BBQ Truck
Moose's Mayhem
Team Agave featuring Dave Petey Peterson who made quite an impression the 2 years he repped the contest. :mrgreen:
Ma's Cue Crew
Transformer BBQ
Fuhgedabouttit
Wildwood BBQ NYC -- Featuring Big Lou Elrose, formerly of Hill Country BBQ
Pearl Lee Q's
RB's BBQ
Eat A doughnut

They can still fit a few more teams in. Max is @ 24. Getting close. ALSO Still looking for more judges/table captains....so, if you were on the fence, come on out. Anyone who's been to this event knows that it is always a fun time.

lunchlady
03-28-2009, 07:14 PM
One week out and I'm getting excited for Brooklyn!
NEW YORK CITY!!!
ALWAYS a good time!

SmokeInDaEye
03-28-2009, 10:15 PM
One week out and I'm getting excited for Brooklyn!
NEW YORK CITY!!!
ALWAYS a good time!

You're coming too, Michelle?!!! All these great folks coming down from all over the northeast, maybe we should plan a dinner, drinks, or something after the grilling thing ends?

backyardchef
03-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Early forecast for Saturday is low 60s, partly sunny! Fingers crossed....

Saturday, Apr 4
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/03.gif
High: 63 °F RealFeel®: 56 °F
Breezy with partial sunshine

YankeeBBQ
03-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Lookin Good !

Early forecast for Saturday is low 60s, partly sunny! Fingers crossed....

Saturday, Apr 4
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/03.gif
High: 63 °F RealFeelŪ: 56 °F
Breezy with partial sunshine

oceanpigassassins
03-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Were probably goimg to sit this one out and give someone else a chance

backyardchef
03-30-2009, 04:08 PM
This just in from the Grillin' on the Bay team:

We've just added a new competition to the day, The RUB Rapid Fire Challenge sponsored by Pat La Frieda Meats (http://lafrieda.com/) and RUB BBQ NYC (http://www.rubbbq.net/).

Grand Prize $100
2nd Place $75
Third Place $25.

Trophies will be awarded in 1st through 3rd.

Here's how it's gonna work...

At the Chef's Choice turn in at 2:15 teams who wish to compete in the RUB Rapid Fire Challenge will be given the secret ingredient for competition.
You will also be given a new 9 x 9 Styrofoam tray for entry.
You will have 45 minutes to prepare your submission. What you do with it is up to you.
There are no rules for garnish, presentation etc. Make whatever you like as long you highlight the secret ingredient.
Make sure there are at least 3 pieces of the secret ingredient in the box for the judges to sample.
Judging will take place at 3:00 pm for the first 10 teams who enter the competition.
We will observe the standard five minute before and five minute after time frame window for submissions.
Blind judging will be in effect.
You will be judged by a team of Andrew Fischel (http://www.rubbbq.net/) and Scott Smith (http://www.rubbbq.net/) of RUB BBQ NYC (http://www.rubbbq.net/) and Gary Goldblatt of Pig Trip (http://www.pigtrip.net/).
If more than 10 teams participate, the teams will be broken into two groups with staggered judging.
The first 10 teams will be given the secret ingredient at turn in of the Chef's Choice.
The remaining teams will be given the secret ingredient at 2:45.
The second group of teams will only have 30 minutes to cook the secret ingredient. *
The teams who are in the second group, will need to present their item at 3:15. Again, we will observe the standard five minute before and five minute after time frame window for submissions.
Winners will be announced during the awards ceremony.

*Both sets of teams will have the same secret ingredient, but the second set of teams lose 15 minutes in prep time, since they'll be able to know what the ingredient is as soon as it's handed out to the first set of teams.

This competition is optional and will not affect your scores in the NEBS sanctioned Grillin' On The Bay categories. This one's just for fun.

I hope you all take advantage of this exciting new event!

For more information: http:grillinonthebay.blogspot.com (http://grillinonthebay.blogspot.com)

Lakeside Smoker
04-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Grand Champion:
Transformer BBQ

That's all I know right now.

Nitrofly
04-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Yahoo... Great job.. Transformer BBQ
Julie Julie Julie Julie Julie Julie Julie Julie :biggrin:
Almost like I was there..

Congrats to all...

SmokeInDaEye
04-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Awesome contest and congrats to Julie and that guy with her for keeping the GOTB title in the brethren family! I got killed today for no real reason but loved seeing everyone. Crazy competition, crazy winds, crazy throwdown next year!

Plowboy
04-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Great job, Transformer BBQ!!! You guys rock.

Sledneck
04-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Congrats to Brendan and Julie on the win and to all who walked

Heres the top 10:

Grillin On The Bay: Chicken
10.Smoke In Da Eye
9. Smoke On The Water
8. Eat A Donut
7. Purple Turtle Caterers
6. Transformer BBQ
5. Porkaholics
4. Ma' Cue Crew
3. Wildwood BBQ
2. iQue
1. Ribs Within

Grilin' On The Bay: Fish
10. Eat A Donut
9. Team Agave
8. Smoke On The Water
7. Porkaholics
6. Purple Turtle Caterers
5. Pearl Lee Q's
4. Wildwood BBQ
3. Transformer BBQ
2. iQUe
1. Ribs Within

Grillin' On The Bay: Pork
10. Wildwood BBQ
9. Beer Belly Porkers
8. Eat A Donut
7. Pearl Lee Q's
6. iQue
5. Smoke In Da Eye
4. Purple Turtle Caterers
3. Ribs Within
2. Team Agave
1. Transformer BBQ

Grillin' On The Bay: Chef's Choice
10. Ribs Within
9. Smoke In Da Eye
8. Ma's Que Crew
7. Pearl Lee Q's
6. Smoke On The Water
5. Beer Belly Porkers
4. Team Agave
3. Porkaholics
2. Transformer BBQ
1. Wildwood BBQ

Grillin' On The Bay Overall

10. Ma's Cue Crew
9. Porkaholics
8. Pearl Lee Q's
7. Team Agave
6. Smoke On The Water
5. Purple Turtle
4. IQue
3. Ribs Within
2. Wildwood BBQ
1. Transformer BBQ

Sledneck
04-05-2009, 10:01 AM
The Rub Rapid Fire Challenge Results:

10. Josh Ozersky
9. Ma's Cue Crew
8. Smoke On The Water
7. Eat A Donut
6. Ribs Within
5. Purple Turtle Caterers
4. Wildwood BBQ
3. Porkaholics
2. Smoke In Da Eye
1. iQue

The Giggler
04-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Congrats Brenden and Julie! WTG guys!

The Anchorman
04-05-2009, 10:38 AM
The Rub Rapid Fire Challenge Results:

10. Josh Ozersky
9. Ma's Cue Crew
8. Smoke On The Water
7. Eat A Donut
6. Ribs Within
5. Purple Turtle Caterers
4. Wildwood BBQ
3. Porkaholics
2. Smoke In Da Eye
1. iQue

what was the Rapid Fire Challenge?

The Anchorman
04-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Ok I read the post from above, That sounded real Cool!
Any comments on what was turned in? Any one know what was turned in?

SmokeInDaEye
04-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Ok I read the post from above, That sounded real Cool!
Any comments on what was turned in? Any one know what was turned in?

Yeah, that was actually the most exciting part of the day. Still not sure why all my stuff tanked but different day, different judges. Just glad to see a brethren keep the title (Purple Turtle, Anchormen, SIDE, Transformer).

Immediately after chef's choice, we were given a package of untrimmed prime hanger steak and had 45 minutes to turn it in. I'm not sure what Andy from iQue did but we did steak and eggs, basically grilled brioche with marinaded and grilled hanger steak slices, topped with a fried quail egg.

lunchlady
04-05-2009, 01:01 PM
I believe iQue did crab ravioli with the hanger.

It was a great day... windy windy windy, but really fun. Three brand new teams came out to play and I think they are hooked. You may just see them in Cattle Call sometime soon...

Good Times... Good Times...

backyardchef
04-05-2009, 08:00 PM
What a great time! Great job, everybody-- particularly the NEBS folks-- the awesome reps, Michelle Taft and Andy King. So great to see everyone-- I wish we could have had more time to talk with people, but we were a little busy....god, that wind!! Oh, and thanks to MotoEric for coming and hanging out, too....

Thanks for such a wonderful day everyone.

BBQchef33
04-05-2009, 08:58 PM
I was eating enpinadas and drinking margaritas at Dannys(Speedo) wedding... :) couldnt get down there.

Congrats to the Transformers!

biffleg
04-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Congrats to Transformer BBQ!!! Sounded like a great contest!

SmokeInDaEye
04-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Anyone thought of doing a four category quick fire/iron chef contest? Could be a lot of fun among this group of competitors.