PDA

View Full Version : NJ State Championship 7/24-25

SmokeInDaEye
02-12-2009, 01:19 PM
For those not attending Harpoon this year, I just received my application for the second annual Blues and BBQ Festival at the Monmouth Country Fair, July 24-25, a NJ State Championship.

This was a very cook friendly contest last year (despite a no liquor policy) with some good prize money. Note that since this is held on the grounds of a HUGE fair (swimming pigs and chainsaw carving included), space is extremely limited.

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2009&month=07&id=1624

Sledneck
02-12-2009, 01:25 PM
You need a pit bitch?

Jacked UP BBQ
02-12-2009, 01:28 PM
You need a pit bitch?

I do if he don't!

SmokeInDaEye
02-12-2009, 01:41 PM
You need a pit bitch?

Possibly. I want to see if BBQMafia wants to come by since he came and visited last year. I did this one solo so it was nice to see a friendly face.

Sledneck
02-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Possibly. I want to see if BBQMafia wants to come by since he came and visited last year. I did this one solo so it was nice to see a friendly face.
Jeeez I am an alternate pit bitch ?:shock::tongue:

The Anchorman
02-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Do you have to write an essay?
Because by now you know I am pretty shy and could be at a loss for words:shock:

SmokeInDaEye
02-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Nope, unless you really want to. FYI, prize money is $2,500 Grand Champ, 1,500 reserve, $800 first, $400 second, $200 third, $100 fourth and $75 fifth.

YankeeBBQ
02-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Hey Ray why do you care your retired ? I think you need some counseling over that RGC non Trophy thing you seem to have taken it very hard. Have you tried rubbing that blue rhino stuff into your temples ?

SmokeInDaEye
02-12-2009, 02:15 PM

Won't you be vending at Harpoon?

Jacked UP BBQ
02-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Sled, we couldn't do FYBO, let's do this.

ique
02-12-2009, 02:18 PM
I'll be counting change and drinking beer that weekend...

Jacked UP BBQ
02-12-2009, 02:21 PM

Nothing wrong with that. I wish more comps would let the teams vend.

Sledneck
02-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Won't you be vending at Harpoon?Nope not this year

SmokeInDaEye
02-12-2009, 02:36 PM

Nice! Someday I'll make it to Harpoon, just watching my travel and expenses this year with a trip to the Royal, etc.

The Anchorman
02-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Hey Ray why do you care your retired ? I think you need some counseling over that RGC non Trophy thing you seem to have taken it very hard. Have you tried rubbing that blue rhino stuff into your temples ?

Steve I actually chuckled to myself, very funny:!:

And Yes I do need to have more of a sence of humor about it.
But I do think it needs to be said and express that not everyone drinks the Harpoon Kool-aide.

SmokeInDaEye
02-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Ray, they have a RSG trophy in New Jersey in case you're looking to un retire. Here's last year's RGC, Lo and Slo, with the trophy.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/SmokeInDaEye/1-1.jpg
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/SmokeInDaEye/CIMG0194.jpg

Lakeside Smoker
02-12-2009, 04:34 PM
They have one at Harpoon also. Here's Ted receiving it last year...
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n40/lakesidesmoker/Picture095-1.jpg

The Anchorman
02-12-2009, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=Lakeside Smoker;850074]They have one at Harpoon also. Here's Ted receiving it last year...

Et tu, Brute?

Mike comon? and the reason is because someone complained...

Lakeside Smoker
02-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Et tu, Brute?

Mike comon? and the reason is because someone complained...

Me too? If your asking if I like Harpoon, then yes, me to...and don't call me Brutus. :-D
You complained about no RGC trophy now they have one. Well done. People also complained about prize money, now there's $5000 and calls trough 10th place. Nice!

ique
02-12-2009, 06:33 PM
You complained about no RGC trophy

Wait, Ray complained about the RGC trophy?!? I must of missed that.

:roll:

Q Haven
02-13-2009, 06:52 AM
Here is a better look at it....one of my favorite trophies.

rbsnwngs
02-13-2009, 07:14 AM
Sled wheres mine

WannaBeBBQueen
02-13-2009, 07:19 AM
We'll take a pit bitch :biggrin:...we plan on doing this one since my essay for Harpoon will probably not be accepted...lol:rolleyes:

butt head
02-13-2009, 07:30 AM
that would make you a pit bitch wannabe:eek::icon_shy

Sledneck
02-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Sled wheres mineI dedided tha I am going to cross out 38th and put RGC on it and give it to Ray

rbsnwngs
02-13-2009, 08:36 AM
I dedided tha I am going to cross out 38th and put RGC on it and give it to Ray

you cant give it to Ray he didnt earn a 38th place trophy

Kirk
02-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Was it a full house at this event last year or was there room for more entries?

(despite a no liquor policy)
Strictly enforced? Not that it's a deal breaker but being able to knock back a coupla cold ones with friends is nice too.

The Anchorman
02-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Here is a better look at it....one of my favorite trophies.

Thanks Ted:mrgreen:

Wow that is Soooooooooooooo Awesome.

You should be so proud.:wink:

timzcardz
02-13-2009, 10:39 AM
I have no idea if it is enforced, but this is from the application package:
http://199.233.80.44/documents/131/bbq_packet_web.pdf

- After Fair Hours:
CAUSES FOR DISQUALIFICATION & EVICTION (of a team, its
members and/or guests):
A cook team is responsible for its head cook, its team members and its
guest.
a. No person shall possess or consume alcoholic beverages, nor serve
them to the general public.

And here is an interesting tidbit from the package:
Sex Offender Registration must be filled out for ALL Chief Cooks and their Team Members.

Kirk
02-13-2009, 11:26 AM
It says "After Fair Hours" I'll have to see what those hours are and how they coincide with the contest.

And here is an interesting tidbit from the package:
Sex Offender Registration must be filled out for ALL Chief Cooks and their Team Members.

I thought you were kidding. What the heck is this all about?

WannaBeBBQueen
02-13-2009, 12:04 PM
It says "After Fair Hours" I'll have to see what those hours are and how they coincide with the contest.

I thought you were kidding. What the heck is this all about?I know they have a problem with trailers, but this sounds a bit over board sex offenders???....Was it on the app too?

Kirk
02-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Was it on the app too?
Yes, that's straight from the app.
I emailed their listed contact to see if I could get some more info. Don't get me wrong, I believe sex offenders deserve to be punished accordingly and I think that those that target kids should be beaten to a pulp, but what the heck does this have to do with a bbq contest?

YankeeBBQ
02-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Is the contest on school grounds or does it benefit a charity involved with the victims of sexual abuse ? It looks like it might have something to do with the 4 H Club

Kirk
02-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Is the contest on school grounds or does it benefit a charity involved with the victims of sexual abuse ?
Good question. I don't believe its on school grounds but their website doesn't say anything about affiliation with any charities or organizations. In fact, the park's website doesn't have much info at all about the event.

Jacked UP BBQ
02-13-2009, 12:37 PM
It's at the county park, along with the county fair. I guess they are considering soft backround checks for the people who are going to be spending the night with the CARNIE'S

Kirk
02-13-2009, 12:44 PM
I guess they are considering soft backround checks for the people who are going to be spending the night with the CARNIE'S
Why, are they hot? :wink:

Jacked UP BBQ
02-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Why, are they hot? :wink:

Possibly after standing in the sun all day!!!!:wink:

Kirk
02-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Mmmm hot AND sweaty. <reminding myself this in not Woodpile> :icon_shy

Kirk
02-13-2009, 01:11 PM
I just got a response to my questions about alcohol, the sex offender thing and available entry slots. I'll post it here so you can see the answers and I'll attach the sex offender form in my next post

Good Afternoon Kirk ~

1. As part of the Monmouth County Park System Rules and Regulations (see attached) No. 1 - No alcoholic beverages are permitted on park property at all...sorry.

2. Certification to Prevent Sexual Offenders Form is attached for your review. I think it is self-explanatory and it is a requirement of all those who work the Fair and/or participate in a capacity of entertainment or competition.

3. Before the day of the event - definitely. This is our 2nd year and we have 38 slots vs. 35 from last year and they all filled up by June. Currently I have (3) paid entries and 19 verbal confirmations from past competitors. If you would like Kirk, just check in with me every month to see where we stand with vacancies.

I hope I assisted you in answering your questions.

Fell free to call me if you have any more.

Helen P. Fiore
Administrative Assistant
Operations and Maintenance
Monmouth County Park System
805 Newman Springs Road
Lincroft, NJ 07738
732.842.4000 ext. 4225
732.842.4162 FAX

Kirk
02-13-2009, 01:12 PM
I think it's a sad state of affairs that we should have to worry about such a thing and honestly I question the constitutionality of it all but here it is for your entertainment

SmokeInDaEye
02-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Was it a full house at this event last year or was there room for more entries?

Strictly enforced? Not that it's a deal breaker but being able to knock back a coupla cold ones with friends is nice too.

There were 30 something teams last year and that was about capacity since the fair is so huge so not sure how many spots will be open. The cops made a few teams blatantly drinking pour out some liquor but if you're not blatant...

SmokeInDaEye
02-13-2009, 07:10 PM
As to the sex offender thing, I just signed it last year because I'm not one. But this fair is HUGE with thousands of kids each day and my guess is that its the same form anyone working the fair has to sign. Its not that deep. I just thought the organizers tried really hard to make sure every competitor had a great time and if there's a few extra spots, would love to see some familiar faces!

barfly
02-14-2009, 06:52 AM
I think it's a sad state of affairs that we should have to worry about such a thing and honestly I question the constitutionality of it all but here it is for your entertainment

Are they going to screen the public entering the fair grounds or just the big bad bbq'ers??? Yoy ask me they should watch the judges,

SmokeInDaEye
04-10-2009, 10:28 AM
FYI, I spoke to Helen the organizer yesterday and she said all of the 20x20 spots are full and she has a few more oversized (20x30) spots left so looks like it'll be a full house!

Just Smokin' Around
04-11-2009, 10:19 PM
I see the No Alcohol on a lot of applications, mostly because they are held in county parks, like this one, that have rules against it. A little discretion and some 16oz cups go a long way in avoiding trouble. Leave beer cans and liquor bottles sitting out and you are inviting a problem you can easily avoid. Enjoy the cold ones - BTW, I use the insulated cups you get coffee in. Keeps the beverage colder longer.