PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Annual Ohio Veteran Barbeque Cookoff, 10-11 July, 2009

Rick's Tropical Delight
02-07-2009, 02:03 PM
see you there :biggrin:

click here (http://www.ohiovetbbq.com/) to register

Bbq Bubba
02-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Was seriously thinking about doing this one Rick but a new Mi. comp has sprung up that weekend.

Good luck mon! :cool:

SaucyWench
02-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Sending judge apps on Monday. Will your turn-in boxes look like your pron?

cmcadams
02-07-2009, 04:29 PM
I'll be in... 11 miles from home is great!

U2CANQUE
02-07-2009, 05:34 PM
it is a for sure.......

tonto1117
02-07-2009, 08:25 PM
it is a for sure.......

Rob, if you are referring to the Mi comp it is way too premature to think there is going to be one.

Now....back to your regularly scheduled program.

The Pigman
02-07-2009, 09:10 PM
If I can find out what I did with my cookbook I will be joining you guys for a 2nd great year.

Dale P
02-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Boat eggs. That is all im saying.

Rick's Tropical Delight
02-08-2009, 07:44 AM
boat eggs friday morning to the first 12 applicants.

let's get those checks in there guys! :biggrin:

cmcadams
02-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Rick, I don't think they'll have any problem filling out the comp this year. It's got a good track record already, and I think people are looking forward to it.

June brings a comp in Trotwood, kind of a warm up for Kettering.

U2CANQUE
02-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Rob, if you are referring to the Mi comp it is way too premature to think there is going to be one.
nah, was saying that I will be in Kettering....if for anything else, it is worth the price of admission to just watch Jim be nice for a couple of days.....ha ha ha.....

Rick's Tropical Delight
02-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Rick, I don't think they'll have any problem filling out the comp this year. It's got a good track record already, and I think people are looking forward to it.

exactly. why wait, send in the check.

trotwood is the same weekend as the michigan race.

EatonHoggBBQ
02-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Planning on going this year. I judged at it last year and had a great time. Friendliest bunch of people I have ever met. Like those giant Jello shots they were passing out. Definitely a top notch contest. :wink:

The Pigman
02-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Rick I was helping Greg remoldel his kitchen the other day and he wanted to know if there will be boateggs.............

boat eggs friday morning to the first 12 applicants.

let's get those checks in there guys! :biggrin:

Rolling Smoke
02-09-2009, 04:49 AM
Roger, you better go back and reread (or just read) the thread to make sure you didn't miss anything else. :rolleyes:

Rolling Smoke
02-09-2009, 04:53 AM
nah, was saying that I will be in Kettering....if for anything else, it is worth the price of admission to just watch Jim be nice for a couple of days.....ha ha ha.....

I was only nice to Nicole if memory serves me correctly. :lol:

Rolling Smoke
02-09-2009, 05:00 AM

Curt, we shouldn't have any trouble at all filling the field this year and there will be a cap in the number of teams we can allow. As always, it will be based on first come, first served with no exceptions. It's the only fair way to do it and while some people might get their feelings hurt by waiting too long, they will only have themselves to blame if they don't make the cut.

Rolling Smoke
02-09-2009, 05:03 AM
exactly. why wait, send in the check.

That's right Rick! Snoozin' is losin' and especially with the boat eggs thrown in as an added incentive.

(hopefully Roger didn't see that part about the boat eggs)

Rick's Tropical Delight
02-09-2009, 05:54 AM
i can make two batches if enuf people buy tickets :biggrin:

sfisch
02-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Bubba, and Tonto,
Is that the Auburn Hills tentative dates?

Scott

Rolling Smoke
02-09-2009, 06:56 AM

I think that's what Theresa is saying here Scott. I hope not because we would really like to get some more MI Brethren to come down and play in warm weather this time.

Podge
02-09-2009, 09:12 AM
I'll be there for sure !!..

The Pigman
02-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Jim saw noted and you will rec............

For the boat eggs Rick and the Perry Brothers will tell you I almost lost a crew member to Rick last year after he ate them.......

That's right Rick! Snoozin' is losin' and especially with the boat eggs thrown in as an added incentive.

(hopefully Roger didn't see that part about the boat eggs)

Sidw
02-09-2009, 02:49 PM
i can make two batches if enuf people buy tickets :biggrin:

Boat Eggs and a great contest - we are there!!!!!

Spydermike72
02-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Bubba, and Tonto,
Is that the Auburn Hills tentative dates?

Scott

No, the Auburn Hills dates are the last full weekend in June...

JayAre
02-09-2009, 06:08 PM
JayAre-B-Q will be there in force...and yeah Roger, I promise to bring the harom with me...

Brian in So Cal
02-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Going to tell my uncle about this comp. Maybe he can do this as his first comp.

U2CANQUE
02-09-2009, 11:01 PM
it would really be a good one to do for the first, great teams, great folks, and an overall blast.....

The Pigman
02-10-2009, 06:28 AM
It was the first for JayAre and myself and we will both tell you it is the BEST, in Ohio and if you want to get into it, there isnt a better promoter than Jim and greater apmospher than at Kettering. Even the write up in the Bullsheet said that it is the one everyone else should take from if putting one one.

JayAre tell Haroum I will have ribs and fatties for them after you climb in the (home)for the night. 12:30am ribs and 1:30am fatties and maybe some moink balls.

Hoping for another great time in kettering.

Going to tell my uncle about this comp. Maybe he can do this as his first comp.

The Pigman
02-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Jim the check has been sent..........................
Rick the deer chili will be on

Rolling Smoke
02-11-2009, 06:18 AM
Thanks Roger! I'll email your confirmation as soon as I receive it and post your name on the board. Can't wait!

The Pigman
02-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Does this mean you will be bringing the Lang all decked out?????

Was seriously thinking about doing this one Rick but a new Mi. comp has sprung up that weekend.

Good luck mon! :cool:

The Pigman
02-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Let Mike know there are no auctions but there is a place to drink.

U2CANQUE
02-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Let Mike know there are no auctions but there is a place to drink.
Laughing, he will be there.....we have been busy, he now owns a butcher shop/deli/cafe, the great part of that is getting choice picks on my meat.....safe place to wet age my brisket, and all the tools necessary to trim it all up on Thursdays, re-vacuum seal everything in his commercial equipment...and hit the road to the contests....
He says that he wants you to meet this ol guy that is there....we both think he kinda reminds us of you.....grins, an ol' crusty who cracks on my pellet cooker.....
Hope your winter is not too bad, and yes Jim, as soon as tax refunds come back, you will be one of the first ones to get my government appreciation money....looking forward to it.....

The Giggler
02-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Hope your winter is not too bad, and yes Jim, as soon as tax refunds come back, you will be one of the first ones to get my government appreciation money....looking forward to it.....

Hey Cracker - That "government appreciation money" you speak of, is ACTUALLY YOUR MONEY TO BEGIN WITH! :-P

As long as you're completing applications and sending out checks....

Wish we could make this one - just not in the cards this year.

Having dinner with your gal tonight. Taking her to Danny's Buffalo Cuisine near the stadium.

U2CANQUE
02-11-2009, 02:32 PM
your contest will NOT be missed.....that is for sure, wish you could come do this one.....Kettering is really a great contest, awesome trophies...very unique.....and a great group of folks attend.....

The Pigman
02-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Now I'm an old crusty??????? You aint bringing that pellet thingy are you..........

Laughing, he will be there.....we have been busy, he now owns a butcher shop/deli/cafe, the great part of that is getting choice picks on my meat.....safe place to wet age my brisket, and all the tools necessary to trim it all up on Thursdays, re-vacuum seal everything in his commercial equipment...and hit the road to the contests....
He says that he wants you to meet this ol guy that is there....we both think he kinda reminds us of you.....grins, an ol' crusty who cracks on my pellet cooker.....

U2CANQUE
02-11-2009, 11:30 PM
grins, yeah, bringing the pellet "thingy"......only because you cannot argue with results.....grins......

The Pigman
02-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Rob is a stick burner........................................

grins, yeah, bringing the pellet "thingy"......only because you cannot argue with results.....grins......

U2CANQUE
02-12-2009, 09:14 PM
the ultimate in blackmale.....but, gotta love ya brother:biggrin:

The Pigman
02-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Rob was a good weekend with you had a great time..........I knew you could burn the the wood

The Pigman
02-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Rick its offical Number 4

baughman
02-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I got a question. Being brand new to comps. I heard a radio spot last year for this. Is there stuff to do for the public? Or is it just walking around watching you guys cook? I had thought of coming out and just walking around to see set ups and get ideas, for next year when I finally take the plunge.
Just wondering what is there for the public during a normal contest.

U2CANQUE
02-14-2009, 07:03 AM
Depends on the contest...there are some that are attached to larger festivals, and some places where it is all about the cooking/teams. It is fun for me because one, I love competing/cooking....it is a chance to meet up with friends who's paths I do not get to cross in my "normal life"...but, if you are wanting to get into the competition part, it is interesting to see the different set ups, take a judging class, and judge a few, some teams are more available for chit chat....if all else, you are here now, sit back, read a lot, and then as contests come around, meet new friends with a passion for bbq as well....

Rolling Smoke
02-14-2009, 12:49 PM
I got a question. Being brand new to comps. I heard a radio spot last year for this. Is there stuff to do for the public? Or is it just walking around watching you guys cook? I had thought of coming out and just walking around to see set ups and get ideas, for next year when I finally take the plunge.

We will have food vendors onsite and also beverages. If the beer trailer does not satisfy your craving, the post will be open with a full serve bar. Last year we also had a homebrew demonstration and was supposed to have a homebrew comp but couldn't get enough certified judges. We encourage the public to attend and if you're serious about taking the plunge, why wait until next year? Jump on in now!

The Pigman
02-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Alot of visitors stand around with their hands up in the air.

Rolling Smoke
02-15-2009, 04:24 AM
And to clarify, that picture is not from Kettering. Most of the 'visitors' (as Roger puts it) have food in one hand and a beer in the other at Kettering.

JayAre
02-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Alot of visitors stand around with their hands up in the air.

That's the way they judged the contest in Nelsonville..."raise your hand if you like this one"

U2CANQUE
02-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Now that is funny....:biggrin:

The Pigman
02-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Is that why rob did so good

That's the way they judged the contest in Nelsonville..."raise your hand if you like this one"

U2CANQUE
02-16-2009, 05:32 AM
grins, it was because I was so purty that day....and all the shigging that we had you doing.....grins.....

The Pigman
03-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Hey hey hey just seen this one and wasnt doing any of that or I would know how to make first place ribs................Too many girls and that bar stool that kept calling.

By the way Rick we are up to 5 for boateggs

U2CANQUE
03-04-2009, 09:11 AM
grins.......yeah, calling alright....laughs:biggrin:......calling BOGO Special.......

Rick's Tropical Delight
03-24-2009, 05:24 AM
what's this i hear about some wisconsin boyz coming in for this one?

Dale P
03-24-2009, 05:33 AM
If this has something to do with guys pulling their pants down and humping each other then I am out!

FatBoyz
03-24-2009, 06:54 AM
yes tis i we are comming and we are bringing the fun with us.... we are also going to trotwood to after meeting all you fine Ohio'ens i felt i should come visit ya'll again and my wife misses pigman...lol... and jim mad me promis not to drop trow yea that will happen lol

The Pigman
03-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Tell Wendy the Deer Chili will be on all night long. Billy how can you drop your trousers if you are wearing a diaper???????

Kettering will never be the same.

Rolling Smoke
03-25-2009, 08:24 AM
and jim mad me promis not to drop trow yea that will happen lol

I didn't make you promise not to do it. I told you what would happen if you did and trust me, that will happen!

U2CANQUE
03-25-2009, 10:21 AM
my eyes hurt at the thought......:eek:

FatBoyz
03-25-2009, 05:55 PM
I didn't make you promise not to do it. I told you what would happen if you did and trust me, that will happen!

so your not making me promis? and i kinda forgot the paints pulling penalty. and if i cant do that can i make asataling bombs? lol i kidd i kidd

FatBoyz
03-25-2009, 05:55 PM
ohhhhhhhhhh can i wear a dyper the hole time?

The Pigman
03-25-2009, 05:56 PM
asataling bombs????? usually I can fig Billy out not this time.

The Pigman
03-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Billy jeffs got directions its right outside cleveland

FatBoyz
03-26-2009, 11:20 AM
no its not i lived in clevland for 5 years lol your trying to though me off lol
185 ans st clair baby... i was the only longhaired irish man for miles lol

FatBoyz
03-26-2009, 11:25 AM
hay ya'll who is in for a texas holdem game friday?

U2CANQUE
03-26-2009, 04:25 PM
185 ans st clair baby... i was the only longhaired irish man for miles lol
Phew, that muta been a LOOOONG time ago.....yeah, a rough neighborhood....but, anymore here, they all seem to be about the same....

Rick's Tropical Delight
03-26-2009, 05:14 PM
i've got pizzas thursday night and then boat eggs friday morning!

after that it's all business farkers! i'm winning this thing!! :biggrin:

FatBoyz
03-26-2009, 06:02 PM
yo meen your truing to win this one! but 2nd will have to do

The Pigman
03-26-2009, 08:25 PM
By the website we are up to 9 for Boateggs.

Sidw
03-27-2009, 04:56 AM

Ya got to LOVE!!!!! the Boats Eggs.

Rick's Tropical Delight
03-27-2009, 05:45 AM
By the website we are up to 9 for Boateggs.

that's not nearly enuf. what are you guys waiting for?

U2CANQUE
03-27-2009, 06:07 AM
the 5 contests before it.....dang, hate being broke.....but, I remember last year how fast it does fill up......so, it will not be a last minute entry sent in.....

FatBoyz
03-27-2009, 08:08 AM
are you saying you are not comming? because if that is the case please come hang out with us!

Big Mike
03-27-2009, 08:18 PM
yo meen your truing to win this one! but 2nd will have to do

So that means you will be at least 3rd cause I'm gonna be #1.:biggrin::biggrin:

U2CANQUE
03-27-2009, 08:27 PM
dang, called his repeat....and he shows that he is still awake......
No, I will be there, just have to get a couple other entries in for contests that are earlier....this year doing a pretty aggressive schedule......
Good to see ya Mike....

Big Mike
03-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Hey Rob. How yall been. Yeah, I've been pretty inactive over the winter. Hopefully the weather warming up some will bring me out of hibernation.

Double D's BBQ
03-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Glad to see you've come out of hibernation, Mike!

Let me be the first to say "You're going down this year, Big Boy!":-D

See you in a few months!

Big Mike
03-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Not without a fight!!!!!!

JayAre
03-28-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm gonna beat ya with your own smoker!!!:icon_pissed

Big Mike
03-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Bring It!!!!!!!! I don't want to hear any excuses when I kick your butt.

JayAre
03-28-2009, 09:02 AM
were just looking forward to getting going again this year...its been a long winter...

Big Mike
03-28-2009, 09:05 AM
yes it has. I've got a couple of butts on now.

The Pigman
03-28-2009, 06:32 PM
i just hope i improve over last years.........

The Pigman
04-09-2009, 08:44 AM
With Podge it makes 10 for boat eggs....................

FatBoyz
04-09-2009, 11:20 AM
all i want is some deer chilli.... pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee i will send you all the back rent a friend payments i owe you

CaptTable
04-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Alright, somehow I've missed out on the "boat eggs" in our trips up North.

Are they something that Reps are allowed to have? Or would they impair us for the duration of the contest?

Phillip

The Pigman
04-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Hopefully thanks to Bubba we will have deer chili at Kettering.

Billy did you send payment yet.

all i want is some deer chilli.... pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee i will send you all the back rent a friend payments i owe you

Rolling Smoke
04-17-2009, 08:55 AM
I got his entry Roger, it just took awhile to post it online.

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Alright, somehow I've missed out on the "boat eggs" in our trips up North.

Are they something that Reps are allowed to have? Or would they impair us for the duration of the contest?

Phillip

come on over to the island and get a taste of boat eggs. i was thinking about a boat egg wrap in a warmed tortilla this year :idea:

Dale P
04-19-2009, 04:43 AM
The boateggs last year were really good. Thanks Rick.
We are looking forward to seeing everyone.

StayDown
05-04-2009, 06:06 AM
I have a question or two...first, what is the Trotwood comp? I have not heard of this one.

Second, I had an amazing time last year being able to mentor under Mike, the GC!! My wife and I met some amazing people, drank some good beer, helped out any way I could and in the end fell in love with the competition but have yet to pull the trigger enough to start down the road to doing my own comp cooks. I have way to much going on with 2 jobs and a daughter about to start school.

Anyone need some luck this year?? :biggrin: I will be there for sure but I hope to actually be able to work with another cook this year to learn even more.

Alos, will there be a judge's class this year? I would love to take it and become a judge as well to learn both sides of the coin.

The Pigman
05-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Gee alot of us didnt MENTOR under another team before we started we just jumped in..........and had fun.

U2CANQUE
05-04-2009, 07:08 AM
what is the Trotwood comp? I have not heard of this one.

http://www.trotwood.org/administration/parks_rec/BarbequeContest.html
They did not get a Gov proclimation, but, they are waiting to hear back from the committee from the Jack and the American Royal because they submitted information about the Gov not signing any more proclimations.......

I will either be hitting the Trotwood contest, or, heading up to the Wolfe it Down BBQ Bash.....it seems WELL worth the road trip.

StayDown
05-04-2009, 08:25 AM
I want to jump in but right now funds are limiting me. I would be cooking with drums only and I do not have enough drums to do a comp at this time and working so much is not allowing me to fabricate more.

Double D's BBQ
05-04-2009, 01:51 PM
I have a question or two...first, what is the Trotwood comp? I have not heard of this one.

Second, I had an amazing time last year being able to mentor under Mike, the GC!! My wife and I met some amazing people, drank some good beer, helped out any way I could and in the end fell in love with the competition but have yet to pull the trigger enough to start down the road to doing my own comp cooks. I have way to much going on with 2 jobs and a daughter about to start school.

Anyone need some luck this year?? :biggrin: I will be there for sure but I hope to actually be able to work with another cook this year to learn even more.

Alos, will there be a judge's class this year? I would love to take it and become a judge as well to learn both sides of the coin.

We could always use some extra luck, Stay Down! You're more than welcome to cook with us. We are originally from the Dayton area (Miamisburg) but moved up to Cleveland back in 1997 long before SW Ohio turned in to the BBQ comp mecca that it is today.:-D

Our plans are to drive down and stay with family on Thursday night and then come up for the comp sometime on Friday morning.

PM me if you are interested.

Dallas

Rick's Tropical Delight
05-20-2009, 09:55 PM
14 teams so far. what are you waiting for?

i used my $50 bass pro shop gift card from the jim dandy comp to buy another 15" cast iron skillet so i can make 2 double batches of boat eggs friday morning. i think that'll feed about 30. :biggrin:

The Pigman
05-21-2009, 07:09 AM
You got money from Jim Dandys Cookoff?????????????

14 teams so far. what are you waiting for?

i used my $50 bass pro shop gift card from the jim dandy comp to buy another 15" cast iron skillet so i can make 2 double batches of boat eggs friday morning. i think that'll feed about 30. :biggrin:

Rick's Tropical Delight
05-21-2009, 07:12 AM
gift card for 2nd place ribs

The Pigman
05-21-2009, 07:32 AM
I guess 4th place brisket didnt deserve.................

gift card for 2nd place ribs

The Pigman
05-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Looking forward to the boat eggs....looks like I am coming up Thur. eve after work.